PDA

View Full Version : Will BUF draft a DT?

stuckincincy
04-16-2014, 12:53 PM
They show K. Williams, M. Dareus, A. Branch (as a DE), and youngsters C. Bryant and S. Charles.

Starter K. Williams is going into his 1oth season.

I'm just being curious - is there a need, or do you think they are set?

Pinkerton Security
04-16-2014, 12:56 PM
certainly not at 9. I could see one in later rounds though

The Jokeman
04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
I'd take a chance on Deandre Coleman in Round 5.

GreedoII
04-16-2014, 01:21 PM
no

stuckincincy
04-16-2014, 01:25 PM
certainly not at 9. I could see one in later rounds though

No, not at 9 for sure. I was thinking the same - later rounds. I guess I should have been more clear on that - thanks.

stuckincincy
04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
I'd take a chance on Deandre Coleman in Round 5.

Decent write-up on him. Could be a decent project.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664306/deandre-coleman

DesertFox24
04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Here is the thing I will say. Kyle Williams really helps this defense because of his penetration style and he is not getting any younger.

Donald from Pitt is an amazing athlete and could be the eventual replacement to Kyle Williams.

If Greg Robinson, Mike Evans, Jake Matthews, Mack are all gone I would not have a problem with this.

The last buffalo fan
04-16-2014, 01:56 PM
If the OL you need isn't there, go get a DT with you first pick.

stuckincincy
04-16-2014, 02:10 PM
If the OL you need isn't there, go get a DT with you first pick.

I think a #9 pick of a DT would be a luxury for them. I'm prepared to be surprised, though. BUF fans aren't the only ones around the nation who bug out their eyes at the team's picks the last ten years or so. :whoosh:

TacklingDummy
04-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Knowing how much Dareus has struggled against the run and with Williams age, I wouldn't be surprised to see a DT in round 2 selected.

TacklingDummy
04-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Also I could be wrong but Dareus could be a free agent after this year.

coastal
04-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Is be ok with nix at 9

DraftBoy
04-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Nix is a bad fit for this D. Asking him to penetrate and move laterally is playing against his strengths.

stuckincincy
04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Nix is a bad fit for this D. Asking him to penetrate and move laterally is playing against his strengths.

Yep. Tim Jernigan, Aaron Donald, Will Sutton, Kelsey Quarles, Dom Easley in no particular draft order, seem a better fit.

tampabay25690
04-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Here is the thing I will say. Kyle Williams really helps this defense because of his penetration style and he is not getting any younger.

Donald from Pitt is an amazing athlete and could be the eventual replacement to Kyle Williams.

If Greg Robinson, Mike Evans, Jake Matthews, Mack are all gone I would not have a problem with this.

You are on to something...
Next week I was going to post 2 players the Bills might draft that will WOW Bills fans Aaron Donald is 1 and Justin Gilbert CB was the 2nd...

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. Tim Jernigan, Aaron Donald, Will Sutton, Kelsey Quarles, Dom Easley in no particular draft order, seem a better fit.

Easley is a stud... If he played all year he is a top 20 pick..
Could be the steal of the draft

TigerJ
04-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I doubt the Bills see it as a need at all, but if there is a player they like who has fallen to where they think he's a compelling value, they could pull the trigger. I don't think they go into the draft targeting any DTs.

coastal
04-17-2014, 12:43 AM
Outside of the wife 9 crap... which to my understanding is only in predictable passing downs... what is this D?

i do know that the biggest weakness this defense has had over the last decade is our total inability to stop the run.

Spikes helps that... Nix slams the door.

an interior rotation of Dareus, Williams and Nix sounds very healthy to me.

also... although I agree with your assessment about sideline to sideline, I disagree that he can't attack gaps. Realizing he's limited to the 0 or 1 tech... He can certainly attack and although he's not a sack guy... Hands in passing lanes is one of his strengths.

i think he compliments this defense very well.

BuffaloRedleg
04-17-2014, 02:04 AM
Knowing how much Dareus has struggled against the run and with Williams age, I wouldn't be surprised to see a DT in round 2 selected.

Oh god you were praying for this thread and the opportunity to talk about how you are the only person in the world who currently thinks Dareus is irredeemable ****.

DraftBoy
04-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Easley is a stud... If he played all year he is a top 20 pick..
Could be the steal of the draft

I worry a little about his size. Short frame with short arms.

DraftBoy
04-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Outside of the wife 9 crap... which to my understanding is only in predictable passing downs... what is this D?

i do know that the biggest weakness this defense has had over the last decade is our total inability to stop the run.

Spikes helps that... Nix slams the door.

an interior rotation of Dareus, Williams and Nix sounds very healthy to me.

also... although I agree with your assessment about sideline to sideline, I disagree that he can't attack gaps. Realizing he's limited to the 0 or 1 tech... He can certainly attack and although he's not a sack guy... Hands in passing lanes is one of his strengths.

i think he compliments this defense very well.

A 4-3 base D that will ask its DL to penetrate and make plays in the backfield.

I didn't say he can't attack gaps, I said it would play against his strengths. You don't take a player just to use in a way that he is not the best at doing. That's asking to draft a bust.

TacklingDummy
04-17-2014, 06:31 AM
Oh god you were praying for this thread and the opportunity to talk about how you are the only person in the world who currently thinks Dareus is irredeemable ****.

Wow you get that from saying Dareus struggles against the run, which he does?

coastal
04-17-2014, 07:14 AM
A 4-3 base D that will ask its DL to penetrate and make plays in the backfield.

I didn't say he can't attack gaps, I said it would play against his strengths. You don't take a player just to use in a way that he is not the best at doing. That's asking to draft a bust.
The ole he doesn't fit the system card.

That kind of decision making got us Donte Whitner over Haloti Ngata.

DraftBoy
04-17-2014, 07:38 AM
The ole he doesn't fit the system card.

That kind of decision making got us Donte Whitner over Haloti Ngata.

Whitner wasn't a fit either, since we needed a ranging safety and not an in the box hitter. Poor scouting got us Whitner over Ngata.

coastal
04-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Whitner wasn't a fit either, since we needed a ranging safety and not an in the box hitter. Poor scouting got us Whitner over Ngata.
True but you're ignoring the overall point.

i don't think anyone would argue that run defense if the single greatest weakness of this defense and has been for the last decade.... around the same time we no longer had fat bodies like Sam Adams or Pat Williams.

dareus and Williams are both 3T tackles IMO... two peas of the same pod. We need someone to play the 0 or 1 technique.

Let me ask you a question... would you think our run D would improve more by adding another 3T type DT or Nix?

i know that's pretty simple... but it really is that way for me.

schemes are overvalued.

DraftBoy
04-17-2014, 10:26 AM

i don't think anyone would argue that run defense if the single greatest weakness of this defense and has been for the last decade.... around the same time we no longer had fat bodies like Sam Adams or Pat Williams.

dareus and Williams are both 3T tackles IMO... two peas of the same pod. We need someone to play the 0 or 1 technique.

Let me ask you a question... would you think our run D would improve more by adding another 3T type DT or Nix?

schemes are overvalued.

I'm not ignoring the overall point and I don't disagree that we need help in the run D either.

Williams is definitely a 3 tech DT, but Dareus can and has played the 1 tech before. His size is ideal and he requires two blockers already. He's actually talented enough to be a two gap player at the 1 tech as well covering the A and B gaps and has shown that ability in the past.

I think adding one of each could be useful since our overall rotation sucks, but adding Nix (who I think is a sole zero tech DT, not a 1 tech) doesn't help that any.

Schemes are only overvalued when GM's ignore them to pick their "guy" regardless of fit. Schemes are what cover up for lacking talent. When you override your scheme you create holes intentionally.

The last buffalo fan
04-17-2014, 10:48 AM
We need to stop the frigging run, now!

Homegrown
04-17-2014, 11:29 AM
They should work out that " vanilla gorilla " feller, or bring back Jasper. :rain:

Night Train
04-17-2014, 06:39 PM
It could be a fallback, if the OT they like is gone. Don't know.

Nix if they want a 2 gap double team or Donald if they want a 1 gap.

BB4ever
04-17-2014, 08:33 PM
http://youtu.be/31g0YE61PLQ
No

cookie G
04-18-2014, 06:01 PM

schemes are overvalued.

maybe...maybe not..

Here's the deal...

The Bills gave up 19 runs of more than 20+ yards last year. That was the worst in the league.

I counted roughly 560+ yards on those plays alone. That's more than 25% of the rushing yards allowed...on 19 runs.

Runs that long, or longer are often the fault of the secondary. Not always, but they are the guys that keep a 10 yard play from becoming a 40-50 yard play. Try as you might, but you're going to have runs that slip past the front 7. Its the secondary's job to limit the damage.

How does that affect their run d?

the Bills gave up 2063 yards on 471 carries.

Take those 19 carries totaling more than 560 yards...and change them to 7-10 yard plays...an area where you'd expect a safety or CB to make a tackle.

you would now be giving up 1691 yards...that's about 11th in the league.

Better yet, the 3.5 ypc would be 2nd in the league.

i know...the "everyone gives up big plays" retort is forthcoming.

But not to this extent. Around ten teams last year gave up 7 or fewer 20+ yard runs.

I'm really not so sure the problem is the front 7 any more, as opposed to the Jauron years. Maybe you can overbuild and get another NT and hope that a few of these runs don't occur.

Or maybe the secondary needs more lessons on preventing long runs.

YardRat
04-18-2014, 07:54 PM
maybe...maybe not..

Here's the deal...

The Bills gave up 19 runs of more than 20+ yards last year. That was the worst in the league.

I counted roughly 560+ yards on those plays alone. That's more than 25% of the rushing yards allowed...on 19 runs.

Runs that long, or longer are often the fault of the secondary. Not always, but they are the guys that keep a 10 yard play from becoming a 40-50 yard play. Try as you might, but you're going to have runs that slip past the front 7. Its the secondary's job to limit the damage.

Take those 19 carries totaling more than 560 yards...and change them to 7-10 yard plays...an area where you'd expect a safety or CB to make a tackle.

But not to this extent. Around ten teams last year gave up 7 or fewer 20+ yard runs.

I'm really not so sure the problem is the front 7 any more, as opposed to the Jauron years. Maybe you can overbuild and get another NT and hope that a few of these runs don't occur.

We were gashed with the run because we were weak up the middle, front to back. I like KW a lot, but he is getting on in years and is a dodge-and-weaver...same as Alonso. Byrd, the 'elite' safety valve, well...I've already said it, no reason to go there again. Two of the three may have been fixed, (I know I'll get reamed once again, but...) with Byrd being replaced and Kiko moving outside...now we could use more strength on the line.

I don't think they'll go DT at nine, they definitely should somewhere later (McCullers or Gaston?), but if the first eight picks fall in a manner that 3 OT's are gone, as are Mack, Clowney and Watkins, I'd sure as hell pull the trigger on the top DT over a QB or TE.

TacklingDummy
04-18-2014, 09:31 PM
maybe...maybe not..

Here's the deal...

WYS is that you?

coastal
04-19-2014, 10:15 AM
maybe...maybe not..

Here's the deal...

It's possible and quite honestly we'd probably need to take a look at each of those long runs to see where the breakdowns occurred.

Was it the result of running a high risk/reward defense, Kiko Alonso over pursuing, Fool's Gold taking a play off, Byrd not wanting to stick his melon in there, or just not enough beef in the middle causing RBs to redirect?

Those are just my basic ideas and like I said... we'd have to take a look at the tape.

On a basic level... what do we have beyond Dareus and Williams? To my knowledge... the cupboard is bare, Dareus is heading into a contract year and Williams is getting to the point where DTs start making the flush out of the league.

This is akin to when I wanted the Bills to draft DeCastro, because we had Levitre, Urbik and Reinhart all heading into the final year of their contracts. It's forward thinking and planning on an organizational level. Drafting Nix, like adding Spikes in FA, continues to address this defenses long-standing single greatest weakness. It also helps to ensure depth this year and plan for the possible loss of two key players on the interior of our defensive line. Plus... there's the planet theory which I adhere to. There's only so many guys that large that can play the game at a high level.