PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly to Bid on Bills with D Trump

Figster
04-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Jim Kelly to Bid on Bills with Donald Trump

https://twitter.com/news10nbc/status/457588382793596928

elltrain22
04-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Wow, best Bills related news in a quite a while!!

BillsWin
04-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Here's an article with some interesting quotes from the parties involved... http://wivb.com/2014/04/19/big-names-among-prospective-buffalo-bills-buyers/

Skooby
04-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Trump seems dedicated to keeping the Bills in Buffalo & will have Jimbo in there with him, that's quite a 1/2 punch.

WagonCircler
04-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't like this.

I love Jim, but I don't trust Trump.

BillsImpossible
04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I like Trump because he's a very savvy business man and he gets things done.

He would not only be the owner of the Bills with Jim Kelly, he would have a huge political influence as well.

Buffalo should be a thriving, shining city in America but it hasn't been that way for over 50 years.

Trump would bring a heavy dose of desperately needed business and political leadership to our city.

Just imagine how fast Donald Trump could turn WNY around for the better?

He would not just be the owner of the Buffalo Bills, he would essentially be the de facto Mayor of Buffalo and County Executive too.

More jobs, more business activity, more development, more wealth, more opportunity.

It's time for a cool change.

stuckincincy
04-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Kelly is facing eternity. I doubt he's twittering.

BillsImpossible
04-19-2014, 06:14 PM
This just hit me...

Jim Kelly is a republican. Donald Trump is a republican. Thurman Thomas is a republican too.

Jimbo and Thurman know football. Trump knows business. Their politics agree.

Want to get a new stadium built within the next 10 years or less?

Donald Trump knows how to build a product, massive structures included.

WNY should be a much better product with Niagara Falls and a professional football team in our hands.

"Let's go, Buffalo?"

Not anymore. If it's not working, change. Change is strange, and difficult...and expensive, but if they build a new, better idea...the people will come.

Let's get Better, Buffalo.

And Niagara Falls....holy crap. It's a gem but it's covered in mud no matter how much water goes over the Falls.

From a business perspective, Niagara Falls, NY is a dump full of opportunity. All it needs is a huge makeover.

Western New Yorker's are sick and tired of sitting on New York City's bleachers.

One great businessman and two great football players can make Buffalo, NY a great city once again.

This Easter Eve has death and renewal in the air. Buffalo has been down for a while, but now it's time to rise up again....and get BETTER.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o5osPtE7kXI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

Jim is going to win this game.

Thundering Buffalo
04-19-2014, 06:50 PM
I'd love to see Trump stick it to Jerry, Trump would win because he would leave football operations to people that know football Jerry hasn't figured that out yet

SpikedLemonade
04-19-2014, 07:11 PM

I pray Jimbo will survive this and his first priority has to be his health.

Turf
04-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Lets start by praying Jim makes it first.

The Popcorn
04-19-2014, 07:36 PM
I think Trump will be a Steinbrenner-type owner. He doesn't like losing.

WagonCircler
04-19-2014, 07:38 PM
And Niagara Falls....holy crap. It's a gem but it's covered in mud no matter how much water goes over the Falls.

From a business perspective, Niagara Falls, NY is a dump full of opportunity. All it needs is a huge makeover..

Just like Atlantic City, right?

How'd that work out?

- - - Updated - - -

I think Trump will be a Steinbrenner-type owner. He doesn't like losing.

I think Trump would be a John Y. Brown type owner.

BertSquirtgum
04-19-2014, 07:41 PM
You're fired Russ.

The Popcorn
04-19-2014, 07:48 PM
I think Trump would be a John Y. Brown type owner.

Why is that?

WagonCircler
04-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Why is that?

He's a celebrity owner (Brown was a Governor who was married to Miss America, Phyllis George) who has no ties to Buffalo.

I'm praying for my friend Jim, but there's a lot of uncertainty right now.

Trump cares about his celebrity status, not Buffalo, and with Buffalo possibly being the least "chic" market in the NFL (Green Bay has a mystique to it--we don't) I don't think Trump would keep the team here beyond the current lease.

I want the team here for 20 or 30 years.

Skooby
04-19-2014, 11:09 PM
You want a team here for the long haul ? You build a commercial network through Trump around the stadium to make it an event. Trump builds events & brings celebrity type status to any area he's involved in, not all of it positive mind you but it'd be better than not having what we have now. We have a limited market with no real connections or investments besides a limited base.

Will Trump be the best owner ? No idea but he's been way up & way down, how different is he from Buffalo ?

YardRat
04-19-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm wary of Trump, even if Kelly is involved, and really would rather not have Thurman anywhere near the team except to attend games and alumni functions.

Goobylal
04-19-2014, 11:20 PM
John Wawrow, who wrote the story, said Kelly and Trump are not linked together. Which is what I heard as well years ago (i.e. I heard Kelly was linked with someone else).

WagonCircler
04-19-2014, 11:40 PM
You want a team here for the long haul ? You build a commercial network through Trump around the stadium to make it an event. Trump builds events & brings celebrity type status to any area he's involved in, not all of it positive mind you but it'd be better than not having what we have now. We have a limited market with no real connections or investments besides a limited base.

Will Trump be the best owner ? No idea but he's been way up & way down, how different is he from Buffalo ?

I'll take Pegula, thanks. Proven commitment. Actual, tangible money spent. And he has more money than Trump.

stuckincincy
04-20-2014, 03:12 AM
This just hit me...

Jim Kelly is a republican. Donald Trump is a republican. Thurman Thomas is a republican too.

WNY should be a much better product with Niagara Falls and a professional football team in our hands.

"Let's go, Buffalo?"

Not anymore. If it's not working, change. Change is strange, and difficult...and expensive, but if they build a new, better idea...the people will come.

From a business perspective, Niagara Falls, NY is a dump full of opportunity. All it needs is a huge makeover.

Western New Yorker's are sick and tired of sitting on New York City's bleachers.

One great businessman and two great football players can make Buffalo, NY a great city once again.

This Easter Eve has death and renewal in the air. Buffalo has been down for a while, but now it's time to rise up again....and get BETTER.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o5osPtE7kXI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

Can I hit you?

Goobylal
04-20-2014, 07:56 AM
I'll take Pegula, thanks. Proven commitment. Actual, tangible money spent. And he has more money than Trump.
I'd favor Pegs because a) he's younger, b) has money to burn and can make more if he needs to, and c) has a commitment to the area. Sure the Sabres have sucked since he took over, but they're not going anywhere for my lifetime and will surely get better eventually.

Figster
04-20-2014, 07:59 AM
This just hit me...

"Let's go, Buffalo?"

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/o5osPtE7kXI?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

How about this, D Trump and JK President and Vice President of the United States :boom:

The Popcorn
04-20-2014, 08:03 AM
He's a celebrity owner (Brown was a Governor who was married to Miss America, Phyllis George) who has no ties to Buffalo.

I'm praying for my friend Jim, but there's a lot of uncertainty right now.

Trump cares about his celebrity status, not Buffalo, and with Buffalo possibly being the least "chic" market in the NFL (Green Bay has a mystique to it--we don't) I don't think Trump would keep the team here beyond the current lease.

I want the team here for 20 or 30 years.

Trump cares about winning and making money. Before he owned the New Jersey Generals, they went 6-12. Trump took over the team and they went 25-13 over the next two years. WNY is an area where the economy is showing improvement and a smart business man like Trump can make money in that area. If Kelly is involved with him, you can bet your ass that he will see to it that the Bills stay in the area for a long time too. So I wouldn't worry too much about that either. Bring on The Donald and enjoy the wins.

YardRat
04-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Pegula certainly has the most incentive for putting in a stadium downtown.

Figster
04-20-2014, 08:29 AM
Lots of speculation now that JK and D Trump may not be connected on a bid to gain new ownership of the Buffalo Bills.

What has been confirmed by JK's brother Dan, is Jim Kelly will be pursuing new ownership of the Buffalo Bills in some capacity.

My source is the Erie Times News

Figster
04-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Lots of speculation now that JK and D Trump may not be connected on a bid to gain new ownership of the Buffalo Bills.

What has been confirmed by JK's brother Dan, is Jim Kelly will be pursuing new ownership of the Buffalo Bills in some capacity.

My source is the Erie Times News

Note: JK/family was just staying in Trumps private Condo in NYC while undergoing treatment.

I find it highly unlikely they would be bidding against each other on new ownership of the Buffalo Bills.(my opinion)

Goobylal
04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Kelly had a group, but with Trump throwing his hat in the ring, he may just be changing who the money man will be. He should also consider Pegula and/or Golisano. I'm sure a group of those 3 with Kelly as the face would be a tough one to go up against.

trapezeus
04-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Kelly had a group, but with Trump throwing his hat in the ring, he may just be changing who the money man will be. He should also consider Pegula and/or Golisano. I'm sure a group of those 3 with Kelly as the face would be a tough one to go up against.

Trump will make the bills worse than they've ever been. He's not a good business man. He's a brand. He's simply a blowhard who's dad gave him his money.

All he cares about is that brand of being blustery.

Goobylal
04-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Trump will make the bills worse than they've ever been. He's not a good business man. He's a brand. He's simply a blowhard who's dad gave him his money.

All he cares about is that brand of being blustery.
He's not a good businessman? His brand is based on people getting results.

Figster
04-20-2014, 10:19 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...uyers/7909343/ (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/04/19/big-names-among-prospective-buffalo-bills-buyers/7909343/)

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly is prepared to make a bid to buy the Buffalo Bills. Donald Trump's on board, too.

USA Today article seems to be the source of all the confusion and when you read this statement it sounds to me like Trump and Kelly are working together.

Figster
04-20-2014, 10:30 AM
UPDATE http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/jim-kelly-considering-several-offers-to-join-bills-ownership-groups-20140419

Dan Kelly : “Jim is not aligned with any group yet. We get approached almost every day by someone. We’re flattered and honored,”

WagonCircler
04-20-2014, 02:43 PM
UPDATE http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/jim-kelly-considering-several-offers-to-join-bills-ownership-groups-20140419

Dan Kelly : “Jim is not aligned with any group yet. We get approached almost every day by someone. We’re flattered and honored,”

Finally, someone who actually does speak for Jim.

Famous Amos
04-20-2014, 03:37 PM

This sounds a little different from his talk a year ago about having an ownership group in place or maybe I just misunderstood Kelly.

WagonCircler
04-20-2014, 04:06 PM
This sounds a little different from his talk a year ago about having an ownership group in place or maybe I just misunderstood Kelly.

What's up, Amos?!

I think that Jim figured out that the money man from last year was a guy who can't be trusted. He was from Hamilton, ONT, and would very likely have tried to move the team.

Goobylal
04-20-2014, 04:57 PM
What's up, Amos?!

I think that Jim figured out that the money man from last year was a guy who can't be trusted. He was from Hamilton, ONT, and would very likely have tried to move the team.
Steve Christie?

Mr. Miyagi
04-20-2014, 06:40 PM
I don't like this.

I love Jim, but I don't trust Trump.
My sentiment exactly.

Luisito23
04-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Trump will make the bills worse than they've ever been..

Sadly, I don't think that's even possible....

I mean, what's the worst than can happen, we don't make the playoffs, or win a SB?....Oh, wait...

WagonCircler
04-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Sadly, I don't think that's even possible....

I mean, what's the worst than can happen, we don't make the playoffs, or win a SB?....Oh, wait...

No. The worst that could happen would be the Los Angeles Trumps.

DynaPaul
04-20-2014, 08:50 PM
2 words: Dump Trump.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 06:12 AM
You're fired Russ.

You think Trump is going to fire the Bills best business man? He's made Ralph millions even with a poor product. He may get a nice promotion out of this move.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 06:16 AM
Additionally I dont think Trump is enough to make this move happen. He's only worth 2.7 Billion and its going to cost close to $2 Billion alone to buy the team and build a brand new stadium. I'm not sure Trump has enough cash to make this move by himself. He may need another money man as well.

trapezeus
04-21-2014, 06:46 AM
He's not a good businessman? His brand is based on people getting results.

He's like an idol to the poor and lower middle class with his brand. Ever notice very few larger entities ever want to deal with him? He's gaudy and pompous and he's not liked. he's a snakeoil salesman

YardRat
04-21-2014, 06:48 AM

That would be rough. I can't see any of those three dumping a lot money into an investment without being able to call the shots.

WagonCircler
04-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Additionally I dont think Trump is enough to make this move happen. He's only worth 2.7 Billion and its going to cost close to $2 Billion alone to buy the team and build a brand new stadium. I'm not sure Trump has enough cash to make this move by himself. He may need another money man as well.

Those meetings and this committee about the proposed new stadium--you think they're discussing where the new owner will be allowed to spend his own money to build a stadium?

Wow.

You realize the Ralph Wilson Stadium isn't called that because he paid to build it, right?

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 07:11 AM
Those meetings and this committee about the proposed new stadium--you think they're discussing where the new owner will be allowed to spend his own money to build a stadium?

Wow.

You realize the Ralph Wilson Stadium isn't called that because he paid to build it, right?

No, can you please explain more about how basic economics work but only in crayons and pictures?

It's going to cost nearly a billion dollars when its all said and done to buy the Bills, and the new stadium is going to be close a billion as well. No matter how much you want to live in la-la land and think NYS is going to pony up big bucks for a WNY stadium they may get the same $200 million the Falcons just got from Georgia for their stadium. That still leaves roughly $800 million to be financed by the owner(s), maybe Erie County (or whatever County is ends up being in) does similarly to Fulton County and puts a Hotel/Motel tax in place to help finance part of it, but the tourism there isn't like the tourism in Atlanta so the assistance is probably minimal.

Finally you have to keep in mind what owning the new stadium for the owners means v. leasing it. With their ownership they will get the parking fees, they will get the rental fees for other events, and expos that come into town to use the facility. Otherwise that all goes back to the government. Hell they could even do something similar to what Blank did in Atlanta and make it a multi-use facility. Maybe have Toronto FC come and play an exhibition or two games in the new stadium a year to give the soccer community something to go and watch. Hell they could even ask for land around the stadium and build up the area for leasing out to restaurants, bars, and apparel shops. Not sure how much money that could make them, but if the tailgating area is going to be limited its a good alternative.

It would all be well and good if NYS just ponied up, bent over the taxpayers, and made you all pay for it, but I don't think that's realistic.

WagonCircler
04-21-2014, 07:35 AM
No, can you please explain more about how basic economics work but only in crayons and pictures?

It's going to cost nearly a billion dollars when its all said and done to buy the Bills, and the new stadium is going to be close a billion as well. No matter how much you want to live in la-la land and think NYS is going to pony up big bucks for a WNY stadium they may get the same $200 million the Falcons just got from Georgia for their stadium. That still leaves roughly $800 million to be financed by the owner(s), maybe Erie County (or whatever County is ends up being in) does similarly to Fulton County and puts a Hotel/Motel tax in place to help finance part of it, but the tourism there isn't like the tourism in Atlanta so the assistance is probably minimal..

First of all, the stadium is not going to cost a billion dollars. Second of all, this is NEW YORK, not Georgia.

And finally, see the word above in red?

You're trying to mock ME about how economics work in the real world?

"Hi, I'd like to buy a stadium. What aisle are they in? I think I have enough cash in my bank account."

Grow the *** up.

By the way--Jerry Jones' team plays in the most expensive stadium in the NFL. His net worth is $2.7 BIL. Hey, he must have been digging deep into his couch cushions to come up with the cash for that!

WagonCircler
04-21-2014, 07:48 AM
You know how much of his own money Robert Kraft (Net worth $2.3 BIL) put into funding Sullivan Stadium? That would be $350 MIL. And that's considered one of the highest amounts ever for "private funding" of a stadium.

Owner of the Ravens' net worth? $1.6 BIL. Arthur Blank, Falcons (since YOU brought them up) $1.5 BIL.

William Clay Ford was worth $1.1 BIL. Ever heard his last name? Look outside. It won't take you long to spot it.

Owners of the 49ers, Eagles, Chargers and many more NFL teams, including Daniel Snyder, also worth $1.1 BIL.

How EVER did they do this?

Do you suppose they took all their empty bottles back and destroyed the Coinstar machine at their local grocery store?

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2014, 08:15 AM

Of course he does not have enought cash. But banks would line up to loan the money. With the money he would make from the NFL he would be good on the payments. Not to mention carrying a debt load is good for tax reasons.His finances would not block the deal. Maybe be an ass would - but not the money.

Plus he would get something from selling his remaining interest (no matter how small) in his casinos.

trapezeus
04-21-2014, 08:43 AM
but why would the NFL let an owner borrow, when its been pretty clear it wants a principal owner to be able to field the team debt free?

also, look at this article. Donald can talk about how the owners have respect for him, but apparently its a little different amongst the owners. Not a 100% rejection of him, but it's not a simple confirmation. The guy pushed the USFL on the NFL and lost. Even when you win the lawsuit, you tend to have bitter feelings for having to spend all that money anyways.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/20/one-owner-says-trumps-confirmation-wouldnt-be-a-slam-dunk/?partner=ya5nbcs&ocid=Yahoo

trapezeus
04-21-2014, 08:44 AM
You know how much of his own money Robert Kraft (Net worth $2.3 BIL) put into funding Sullivan Stadium? That would be $350 MIL. And that's considered one of the highest amounts ever for "private funding" of a stadium.

Owner of the Ravens' net worth? $1.6 BIL. Arthur Blank, Falcons (since YOU brought them up) $1.5 BIL.

William Clay Ford was worth $1.1 BIL. Ever heard his last name? Look outside. It won't take you long to spot it.

Owners of the 49ers, Eagles, Chargers and many more NFL teams, including Daniel Snyder, also worth $1.1 BIL.

How EVER did they do this?

Do you suppose they took all their empty bottles back and destroyed the Coinstar machine at their local grocery store?

They also didn't buy their teams in 2014. I don't know the sales prices they bought at, i would guess synder probably paid the most, but i think their % of NFL vs their total net worth was under 50%.

YardRat
04-21-2014, 08:48 AM
I thought Trump won the lawsuit, but was awarded a paltry sum.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/trial.htm

On July 29, 1986, the United States Football League won the battle but lost its war against the National Football League. After five days of deliberation, the jury that heard the USFL's case against the NFL found the older league guilty of monopolizing professional football and of using predatory tactics but awarded the USFL just $1 in damages.

Figster
04-21-2014, 09:02 AM
but why would the NFL let an owner borrow, when its been pretty clear it wants a principal owner to be able to field the team debt free?

also, look at this article. Donald can talk about how the owners have respect for him, but apparently its a little different amongst the owners. Not a 100% rejection of him, but it's not a simple confirmation. The guy pushed the USFL on the NFL and lost. Even when you win the lawsuit, you tend to have bitter feelings for having to spend all that money anyways.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/20/one-owner-says-trumps-confirmation-wouldnt-be-a-slam-dunk/?partner=ya5nbcs&ocid=Yahoo

I look at it this way,

Donald Trump needs JK to make sure he's accepted by NFL owners.

JK needs Donald Trump to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo.

It seems fairly obvious these guys are close friends, JK was just staying in Trumps private Condo in NYC while undergoing treatment.

The writing is on the wall in my opinion...

Bill Cody
04-21-2014, 09:16 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2011/04/29/fourth-times-a-charm-how-donald-trump-made-bankruptcy-work-for-him/

Well if Trump does run the Bills even further into the ground at least he'll probably come out of that fine personally, so there's that

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 09:19 AM
First of all, the stadium is not going to cost a billion dollars. Second of all, this is NEW YORK, not Georgia.

Yea that's kinda my point.

And finally, see the word above in red?

You're trying to mock ME about how economics work in the real world?

Really? Banks don't just give out billion dollar loans to people? Well I'll be damned...

By the way--Jerry Jones' team plays in the most expensive stadium in the NFL. His net worth is $2.7 BIL. Hey, he must have been digging deep into his couch cushions to come up with the cash for that!

The Cowboys are also worth more than double the Bills...so maybe, just maybe he has more revenue to play with?

Do you have any actual numbers or data to add to the discussion?

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Of course he does not have enought cash. But banks would line up to loan the money. With the money he would make from the NFL he would be good on the payments. Not to mention carrying a debt load is good for tax reasons.His finances would not block the deal. Maybe be an ass would - but not the money.

Plus he would get something from selling his remaining interest (no matter how small) in his casinos.

He'd have to carry a lot of debt in the scenario you proposed. I'm not familiar enough with the Casino deals to know how much he financed for those, but I'd be interested to see how much debt he carried on those comparatively to the cost to build.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
I look at it this way,

Donald Trump needs JK to make sure he's accepted by NFL owners.

JK needs Donald Trump to make sure the Bills stay in Buffalo.

It seems fairly obvious these guys are close friends, JK was just staying in Trumps private Condo in NYC while undergoing treatment.

The writing is on the wall in my opinion...

I agree with this, they need each other.

Historian
04-21-2014, 09:43 AM
On July 29, 1986, the United States Football League won the battle but lost its war against the National Football League. After five days of deliberation, the jury that heard the USFL's case against the NFL found the older league guilty of monopolizing professional football and of using predatory tactics but awarded the USFL just $1 in damages.

I know they're friends and all, but if I'm not mistaken, Kelly had to sue him to get his Generals money after the USFL folded, despite the fact that he never played a down for them.

Is that the type of person you want to be in business with, especially at those stakes?

Time will tell I guess.

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2014, 09:46 AM

I guarantee you that the new owner of this team will pay less than 1/3 of the cost of the stadium in the Buffalo area.

The majority of the cost will be paid by taxpayers in one form or another.

YardRat
04-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Don't forget the NFL will boot in about 150mil, maybe more.

WagonCircler
04-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Yea that's kinda my point.

Really? Banks don't just give out billion dollar loans to people? Well I'll be damned...

The Cowboys are also worth more than double the Bills...so maybe, just maybe he has more revenue to play with?

Do you have any actual numbers or data to add to the discussion?

Net worth is not cash flow, but even then, you make MY point. Jones has an even lower net worth, and he had a FAR lower net worth when he bought the team, but somehow he was able to manage to buy the Cowboys and build the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums.

Your contention that $2.7 BIL net worth for an owner is insufficient to buy the Bills is asinine. 75% of the owners in the NFL aren't even close to that level, and even if they were, you act as if it's a cash transaction, which is even more ridiculous.

You were talking out of your ass and you were called on it. Just move on. You're making it worse.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Net worth is not cash flow, but even then, you make MY point. Jones has an even lower net worth, and he had a FAR lower net worth when he bought the team, but somehow he was able to manage to buy the Cowboys and build the Taj Mahal of NFL stadiums.

Your contention that $2.7 BIL net worth for an owner is insufficient to buy the Bills is asinine. 75% of the owners in the NFL aren't even close to that level, and even if they were, you act as if it's a cash transaction, which is even more ridiculous.

You were talking out of your ass and you were called on it. Just move on. You're making it worse.

That's actually not what I said, but its nice to know you're making an attempt to pay attention.

Trap hit the nail on the head, the NFL has previously said that they want owners to buy teams debt free. It's also well known that the owner is going to have build a new stadium (be it in Buffalo, LA, San Antonio, wherever). So this isn't just about straight out buying the team, its about buying the team and building the stadium.

How much in tax funds is the new owner going to get from NYS? How much financing with the NFL allow considering their previously stated preference on owners being debt free? Does that even apply to stadiums?

All questions we don't have actual answers to yet.

Also where the hell are my crayons and drawings?

wolfpack
04-21-2014, 10:16 AM
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Jon-Bon-Jovi-Or-Donald-Trump-May-Buy-The-NFL-Buffalo-Bills-Move-The-Franchise-To-Other-Cities1-665x385.jpg

WagonCircler
04-21-2014, 10:35 AM
That's actually not what I said, but its nice to know you're making an attempt to pay attention.

Trap hit the nail on the head, the NFL has previously said that they want owners to buy teams debt free. It's also well known that the owner is going to have build a new stadium (be it in Buffalo, LA, San Antonio, wherever). So this isn't just about straight out buying the team, its about buying the team and building the stadium.

How much in tax funds is the new owner going to get from NYS? How much financing with the NFL allow considering their previously stated preference on owners being debt free? Does that even apply to stadiums?

Have you looked at the net worth of NFL owners? The picture you're drawing with those crayons should include unicorns in it.

There's only one Paul Allen among them.

You're suggesting, ridiculously, that someone, anyone, is going to pony up $2 BIL in cash. NOBODY is going to do that.

This being NY State, not exactly shy about spending the taxpayer dollars, I'd guess at least $600 MIL, possibly more. This is a political issue for the Governor and for Schumer and others. They are going to get VERY creative when it comes to keeping the state's only NFL team in the state.

And let's not forget, as everyone always seems to, that whatever the state spends, for once they're spending on something that actually generates revenue. The stadium's lease payments paid for Rich/Ralph Stadium several times over. That makes it easier to sell, not that NY legislators ever met a spending bill they didn't like. Ever hear of "The Buffalo Billion"?

Stadium projects are a HUGE opportunity for politicians and their cronies to skim hundreds of millions. You're naive if you don't think they're licking their chops over the potential for a payday.

And, like Yard mentioned, the NFL is looking to assist in a big way with matching funds and financing.

Face it, your contention that a new owner needs to have $2 BIL in walking around money to throw at the team is absurd.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 11:06 AM
Have you looked at the net worth of NFL owners? The picture you're drawing with those crayons should include unicorns in it.

There's only one Paul Allen among them.

You're suggesting, ridiculously, that someone, anyone, is going to pony up $2 BIL in cash. NOBODY is going to do that.

This being NY State, not exactly shy about spending the taxpayer dollars, I'd guess at least $600 MIL, possibly more. This is a political issue for the Governor and for Schumer and others. They are going to get VERY creative when it comes to keeping the state's only NFL team in the state.

And let's not forget, as everyone always seems to, that whatever the state spends, for once they're spending on something that actually generates revenue. The stadium's lease payments paid for Rich/Ralph Stadium several times over. That makes it easier to sell, not that NY legislators ever met a spending bill they didn't like. Ever hear of "The Buffalo Billion"?

Stadium projects are a HUGE opportunity for politicians and their cronies to skim hundreds of millions. You're naive if you don't think they're licking their chops over the potential for a payday.

And, like Yard mentioned, the NFL is looking to assist in a big way with matching funds and financing.

Face it, your contention that a new owner needs to have $2 BIL in walking around money to throw at the team is absurd.

I have but what I couldn't recall was the last time an owner had to buy a team and develop a new stadium all at once. I know it probably has happened just can't recall who was the last one or how the deal was put together. Do you recall?

I never said or suggested that, I simply asked the question openly about it.

While I agree NYS enjoys spending all of your money, this isn't NYC. $600 Million is a huge ask.

You're assuming this would be another lease deal, I'm not sure the new owner wants that. Down here Blank specifically wanted out of that deal even with some taxpayer funds included. He will own the new stadium, and the land around it for parking. I don't imagine the new Bills owner would expect or want less. Now how much tax revenue the local and state makes could certainly refund some of the tax money spent, but how long will that take?

This is politics after all...

The NFL has made that overture, but I havent see any numbers where they have matched a certain amount or percentage, have you?

I never said that either.

trapezeus
04-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Again, Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, a team that wasn't doing so well and a league that had not exploded in value like it has in the last 10years, in 1989. He reportedly bought the team for between $140-150MM. Single buyer, for a team that truly sucked in 1988 and was losing money.

So those were different times, but the guy had money to throw around...and he did.

Also, NYS is more inclined to help build a stadium to keep its only team. it also put some sweet deals to ralph and co to help mitigate losses if a fan base doesn't show up or are in it just for the tailgate.

The rumors are that there are 10 legitimate offers, including trump. i really think if the completion by Oct 2014 is happening, it's more likely to go to the Jacobs or an interest within buffalo. NYS has an interest in getting a long term owner dedicated to the area. while jacobs might not represent a big spender, he would ensure the team be in buffalo past his lifetime with a long line of descendents and deep pockets. That gets NYS more comfortable chipping in on a stadium than giving it to a speculator like Trump.

even if you read dan kelly's comments in recent articles, the kelly's are taking offers. they aren't in bed with anyone yet.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Again, Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys, a team that wasn't doing so well and a league that had not exploded in value like it has in the last 10years, in 1989. He reportedly bought the team for between $140-150MM. Single buyer, for a team that truly sucked in 1988 and was losing money.

So those were different times, but the guy had money to throw around...and he did.

Also, NYS is more inclined to help build a stadium to keep its only team. it also put some sweet deals to ralph and co to help mitigate losses if a fan base doesn't show up or are in it just for the tailgate.

The rumors are that there are 10 legitimate offers, including trump. i really think if the completion by Oct 2014 is happening, it's more likely to go to the Jacobs or an interest within buffalo. NYS has an interest in getting a long term owner dedicated to the area. while jacobs might not represent a big spender, he would ensure the team be in buffalo past his lifetime with a long line of descendents and deep pockets. That gets NYS more comfortable chipping in on a stadium than giving it to a speculator like Trump.

even if you read dan kelly's comments in recent articles, the kelly's are taking offers. they aren't in bed with anyone yet.

I agree I think local gets NYS more into gear, I just think asking for over 50% of the stadium to be paid for by the taxpayers is a huge ask. We shall see though.

10 legitimate offers? That raises the question about who we don't know about that could be interested.

1. Trump
2. Jacobs
3. Rich
4. Pegula
5. Toronto Group (Including Bon Jovi)
6. LA Group

Who am I missing thus far?

trapezeus
04-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I agree I think local gets NYS more into gear, I just think asking for over 50% of the stadium to be paid for by the taxpayers is a huge ask. We shall see though.

10 legitimate offers? That raises the question about who we don't know about that could be interested.

1. Trump
2. Jacobs
3. Rich
4. Pegula
5. Toronto Group (Including Bon Jovi)
6. LA Group

Who am I missing thus far?

Gundlach. i think that's his last name. buffalo born, lives in LA. he's a fund manager and has been connected with buying the bills before. he is on record as saying he wouldn't think of buying the bills as an investment as its more than that to him.

i think there are also two competing LA group's as they have two competing stadiums.
but i really think LA is not something the NFL wants. they love having that as a trump card on San Diego and oakland. and the costs of moving are much less.

TedMock
04-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Gundlach. i think that's his last name. buffalo born, lives in LA. he's a fund manager and has been connected with buying the bills before. he is on record as saying he wouldn't think of buying the bills as an investment as its more than that to him.

i think there are also two competing LA group's as they have two competing stadiums.
but i really think LA is not something the NFL wants. they love having that as a trump card on San Diego and oakland. and the costs of moving are much less.

Jeffrey Gundlach. Very bright fixed income manager. He ran the total return bond fund for TCW and was great at it. He started his own firm a couple years ago. Not sure what he's worth after that.

better days
04-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Jeffrey Gundlach. Very bright fixed income manager. He ran the total return bond fund for TCW and was great at it. He started his own firm a couple years ago. Not sure what he's worth after that.

Is Gundlach part of the Bills fan group that is starting a fund for a new Stadium for the Bills?

Fletch
04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Is Gundlach part of the Bills fan group that is starting a fund for a new Stadium for the Bills?

LOL ... what are they going to do, hold a baked sale.

WNY cannot possibly compete for a new stadium with the likes of Toronto.

Fletch
04-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Why do some keep mentioning the Jacobs? He's already come out and said he's not interested.

Also, there can be all kinds of interest in our region, but the reality of it is that 75% of the owners have to approve it. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment, ... I know, it's hard to do because most of us don't think about money over people constantly like they do, but that's their reality. They don't give a rat's ass about the fans, the region, nostalgia, or anything non-monetary re: the Bills staying in "Buffalo."

All they care about is money lining their pockets, and if you ask me, it's going to be a no-brainer for them to approve a sale to a Canadian owner/group with intent on putting the team across the border as the NFL's first international team.

Think about it, even for Goodell, "Mr. Buffalo," his legacy would be huge if that were to happen on his watch and he knows it.

Again, they're all saying the right things now, but don't believe a word of it, as usual, follow the money. Unfortunately that money is not in Buffalo or WNY.

It's going to make sense for the NFL to buy out the clause preventing the Bills from leaving, to one extent or another, and after a year, two, or three, but it will make sense for the league eventually.

It's sad, very sad, but Buffalo is not an NFL city by modern day standards. There's a much larger population and financial center base just over the border not even an hour from Buffalo.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 12:49 PM

celebritynetworth.com (no idea how accurate the site is) says he's worth about a billion dollars.

better days
04-21-2014, 01:06 PM
LOL ... what are they going to do, hold a baked sale.

WNY cannot possibly compete for a new stadium with the likes of Toronto.

BILLS FANS are going to donate money for the new Stadium.

I believe $100 Million dollars the the amount they expect to collect.

Toronto has no need for a Stadium because the Bills will not be moving there. EVER.

better days
04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Why do some keep mentioning the Jacobs? He's already come out and said he's not interested.

Also, there can be all kinds of interest in our region, but the reality of it is that 75% of the owners have to approve it. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment, ... I know, it's hard to do because most of us don't think about money over people constantly like they do, but that's their reality. They don't give a rat's ass about the fans, the region, nostalgia, or anything non-monetary re: the Bills staying in "Buffalo."

All they care about is money lining their pockets, and if you ask me, it's going to be a no-brainer for them to approve a sale to a Canadian owner/group with intent on putting the team across the border as the NFL's first international team.

Think about it, even for Goodell, "Mr. Buffalo," his legacy would be huge if that were to happen on his watch and he knows it.

Again, they're all saying the right things now, but don't believe a word of it, as usual, follow the money. Unfortunately that money is not in Buffalo or WNY.

It's going to make sense for the NFL to buy out the clause preventing the Bills from leaving, to one extent or another, and after a year, two, or three, but it will make sense for the league eventually.

It's sad, very sad, but Buffalo is not an NFL city by modern day standards. There's a much larger population and financial center base just over the border not even an hour from Buffalo.

Jacobs said he is not going to sell the Bruins to buy the Bills.

Jacobs has not said anything about his son buying the Bills or not.

Since that is the case, it is possible someone in the Jacobs family buys the Bills.

YardRat
04-21-2014, 01:12 PM
The NFL has a fund, so they will definitely pony up for an existing team. $150mil. The New jersey teams got $300mil, because both were involved.

trapezeus
04-21-2014, 01:43 PM

it is about the money and why they should stay....a cross country move was unusually expensive as the NFL found out moving the rams out of LA. So much so they didn't split them in equally on expansion fees.

The NFL does care about the league division set up. they more or less have the geographies the way they want them. moving a bills team to the west coast is a killer on the LA team. With oakland and SD in easy to break leases and have less impact on division set ups, You can pretty much kill LA. Also add into the fact the stadium is going no where.

So the next option is to toronto. i don't think that threat is dead, but i think the CFL has some regulatory sway in canada and makes it hard for a full time team to be there. a future owner could argue that a full time team in canada would get better results than the canada series did, since there isn't an arbitrage for the fan.However, that's a tough sell when you don't have an NFL stadium. Additionally, while the canadian dollar has improved over the last 10 years and traders nearly on par or above the US dollar, that isn't a guarantee. So do you want to move a team to canada to find out that the over leveraged canadian market explodes and leaves your franchise without fans, with no support?

I don't think the NFL is chasing the money as much as some people think. I think they know if they get a deep pocket owner in, and get him to stay due to NYS contributions, they have a very steady history of making money in Buffalo. Giving up that money and the state money is a big gamble that doesn't necessarily pay off.

as for jacobs, the public comment was he isn't interested. the off the record comments are that his group with his sons are exploring the idea. it's obviously good business in a long term buyout to say, "i'm committed to this thing i am involved with" than to say, "yeah, i may be leaving this for something else".

until an IB is selected to do the valuation of the team, i don't we hear more than the rumors, but i think once that work is done, it will be pretty simple for the sale to be made and the NFL to vote.

I really think Buffalo has a good case for keeping the team. Along with a region that heavily contributes to the very viewership that the NFL makes their cash cow tv contracts on, there is a reason to keep the team in buffalo. We just have to hope that narrative is expressed clearly.

Figster
04-21-2014, 02:18 PM
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Jon-Bon-Jovi-Or-Donald-Trump-May-Buy-The-NFL-Buffalo-Bills-Move-The-Franchise-To-Other-Cities1-665x385.jpg

hahaha, thats hilarious

kishoph
04-21-2014, 06:37 PM
Trump seems dedicated to keeping the Bills in Buffalo & will have Jimbo in there with him, that's quite a 1/2 punch.

I'm not sure that Kelly and Trump are on the same "team", the wording makes it almost seem like it, but I have seen nothing that says Kelly and Trump are joining together to buy the team. Kelly may have a different backer.

Bill Cody
04-22-2014, 04:02 PM
BILLS FANS are going to donate money for the new Stadium.

I believe $100 Million dollars the the amount they expect to collect.

Toronto has no need for a Stadium because the Bills will not be moving there. EVER.

when pigs fly they'll raise 100m.

better days
04-22-2014, 05:04 PM
when pigs fly they'll raise 100m.

I just read yesterday, they plan to raise $170 Million.

Bill Cody
04-23-2014, 03:52 PM
I just read yesterday, they plan to raise $170 Million.

I plan to date Kate Upton