PDA

View Full Version : Eric Ebron

Figster
04-21-2014, 09:40 AM
With our Billszone 9th pick coming up next I just wanted to talk about a guy I think has a :bigheart: for the game of football.

Eric Ebron can take the top off a defense and open up the underneath routes for the other receivers , he can play inline TE or be flexed out wide in the slot, or line up as a WR.

Ebron is a game changer, an athletic TE, with WR skills, he is a mismatch on linebackers and safeties.

EJ Manuel to Eric Ebron just sounds right...

better days
04-21-2014, 11:46 AM
With our Billszone 9th pick coming up next I just wanted to talk about a guy I think has a :bigheart: for the game of football.

Eric Ebron can take the top off a defense and open up the underneath routes for the other receivers , he can play inline TE or be flexed out wide in the slot, or line up as a WR.

Ebron is a game changer, an athletic TE, with WR skills, he is a mismatch on linebackers and safeties.

EJ Manuel to Eric Ebron just sounds right...

Except when he drops balls he should have EASILY caught.

If Matthews is there at #9, I hope he is the pick.

TedMock
04-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Except when he drops balls he should have EASILY caught.

If Matthews is there at #9, I hope he is the pick.

I'd love Matthews and a lot of mocks have him falling to us, but I think he goes #2 or #3 overall. Hopefully I'm wrong and we land him.

Uncle Jesse
04-21-2014, 01:22 PM
Why get someone with legit potential to be an impact play maker for this franchise when you can draft a right tackle at 9 overall!! That sounds like the path to success!

better days
04-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Why get someone with legit potential to be an impact play maker for this franchise when you can draft a right tackle at 9 overall!! That sounds like the path to success!

Yeah, better to draft a player that will leave the ball on the turf & have a RT that will leave the QB on the turf.

Figster
04-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah, better to draft a player that will leave the ball on the turf & have a RT that will leave the QB on the turf.

Ebron caught 62 passes for 973 yards last season, many were one handed or acrobatic in double and triple coverage.

Combine that with Ebron's ability to adjust/ make plays on the football, and simply put, Eric Ebron get his hands, and or hand onto the football more then your average TE.

Just to put things in the proper perspective Wes Welker had a 9% drop percentage last season, 2% lower then Ebrons,

Calvin Johnson was tied for 4th most in drops last season with 8

Uncle Jesse
04-21-2014, 02:03 PM

You can get a RT in the 2nd or later. Our LT is damn good and was a 2nd round pick. Surely, we can find a RT there.

Uncle Jesse
04-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Ebron caught 63 passes for 973 yards last season, many were one handed or acrobatic in double and triple coverage.

Combine that with Ebron's ability to adjust/ make plays on the football, and simply put, Eric Ebron get his hands, and or hand onto the football more then your average TE.

Just to put things in the proper perspective Wes Welker had a 9% drop percentage last season, 2% lower then Ebrons,

Calvin Johnson was tied for 4th most in drops last season with 8

Are you saying that guys who tend to see a lot of targets, drop a few more balls than others???? That ALMOST MAKES SENSE!!!! TO dropped tons of passes too. It happens.

better days
04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Ebron caught 63 passes for 973 yards last season, many were one handed or acrobatic in double and triple coverage.

Calvin Johnson was tied for 3rd most in drops last season with 8

Yeah, I have seen the highlights. He has made some great catches.

I'm not saying Ebron won't be drafted in the first rnd, just not at #9.

I just think if Matthews is there he would be the pick.

If the Bills could trade down, I would be happy with Ebron lower in the rnd.

Figster
04-21-2014, 02:09 PM
Are you saying that guys who tend to see a lot of targets, drop a few more balls than others???? That ALMOST MAKES SENSE!!!! TO dropped tons of passes too. It happens.

touche

Figster
04-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Yeah, I have seen the highlights. He has made some great catches.

I'm not saying Ebron won't be drafted in the first rnd, just not at #9.

I just think if Matthews is there he would be the pick.

If the Bills could trade down, I would be happy with Ebron lower in the rnd.

The problem with that is the G-men and now lions are expressing an interest in drafting Ebron so there is no trading back to get this guy.

Not safely anyway,

TedMock
04-21-2014, 02:32 PM
The problem with that is the G-men and now lions are expressing an interest in drafting Ebron so there is no trading back to get this guy.

Not safely anyway,

I saw this recently and was a bit surprised. Not that I don't like Ebron - I do, but I thought Detroit and the Giants would be going after CB's from a value standpoint. Giants need both. Not sure what the deal is with Pettigrew in Detroit.

For us at 9 it gets very interesting because there will be quality OT, WR and TE found beyond the 9th pick. I'd love a trade down, but finding a reasonable partner will be difficult at 9. My opinion is if we stay put stick to BPA in round one (within reason). I know some don't agree, but we seem to be in a better position to do that than in recent years.

DraftBoy
04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Pettigrew re-upped with Detroit last month for four more years. Not saying they can't use a second TE weapon but its not a top need.

justasportsfan
04-21-2014, 02:53 PM

there is nothing wrong with building a great OL. The only problem with drafting OL is that they are nothing to look forward to at camp. Not sexy picks.

IF EJ has all day to throw (thats if he decides to throw) anyone we already have becomes a better weapon on the receiving end.

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2014, 03:46 PM
It is a rare situation where a team that is already competitive finds it makes sense to draft a truly elite TE with a top 10 pick.

We are not already competitive nor is he truly elite.

He would be a luxury pick and not produce for years.

Build the OL and run behind it.

Figster
04-21-2014, 06:52 PM
It is a rare situation where a team that is already competitive finds it makes sense to draft a truly elite TE with a top 10 pick.

Do you realize the last time the Buffalo Bills had an Offense that was productive and won football games we had good play from the TE position?

Do you realize how many QB's we have tried to bring along without a good TE security blanket?

Does the K-Gun ring a bell ?

SpikedLemonade
04-21-2014, 07:56 PM
Do you realize the last time the Buffalo Bills had an Offense that was productive and won football games we had good play from the TE position?

Do you realize how many QB's we have tried to bring along without a good TE security blanket?

Does the K-Gun ring a bell ?

The talent we had on those early 90's teams was so great that the TE was nothing but a pimple on that team's ass.

We don't have that kind of talent now.

Figster
04-21-2014, 08:15 PM
The talent we had on those early 90's teams was so great that the TE was nothing but a pimple on that team's ass.

Yet the K-Gun was named after Keith McKeller, go figure

Red Zone efficiency suffers when you don't have good play from the TE position

Pass and run game suffers when the middle of the football field is not utilized properly with the TE position.

QB's suffers physically, mentally, and from a production standpoint when you don't have good play from the all important TE position.

Good TE play is important in today's NFL, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

jimmifli
04-21-2014, 09:23 PM
I agree 100%!!!! Trent Edwards was only a good TE away from being a solid NFL QB! Same goes JP, Fitz, Brohm, Whatshisname and thatotherguy...

THESE GUYS JUST NEEDED A SECURITY BLANKET! DRAFT EBRON AND OUR QB PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!

Figster
04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
I agree 100%!!!! Trent Edwards was only a good TE away from being a solid NFL QB! Same goes JP, Fitz, Brohm, Whatshisname and thatotherguy...

THESE GUYS JUST NEEDED A SECURITY BLANKET! DRAFT EBRON AND OUR QB PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED!

Do you think the solution is to continue down the same path, making the same mistake over and over again? Drafting QB after QB and never giving them the proper supporting cast it takes to succeed?

justasportsfan
04-21-2014, 11:24 PM

and a franchise qb throwing to the TE?

The Jokeman
04-22-2014, 07:37 AM

True but in the days of Bledsoe we had a decent option in Riersmersma and I don't think I put Chandler in his class. That all said the issue is everyone forgets that as good as Ebron could be he probably won't live up to it in 2014. Personally it feels like this could be an all in (see Spikes getting a one year dear, Mike Williams is still in a cap friendly number, Freddie and Spiller might be in their last years). So if we're playing for 2014 you take one of the top OT and go later for a TE.

Figster
04-22-2014, 07:47 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000302344077/3021adb8e3fe6e07d2c8d26adaa7fe66_bigger.png SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏<s>@</s>SiriusXMNFL (https://twitter.com/SiriusXMNFL)

Eric Ebron: From my perspective the two teams that have showed the most interest in me are the <s>#</s>Lions (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Lions&src=hash) and <s>#</s>Bills (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Bills&src=hash).

Figster
04-22-2014, 07:54 AM
and a franchise qb throwing to the TE?

TE was a much used target for JK in case you forget.

Some of you guys seem to think a good TE is a luxury and a good enough QB can magically wave a wand and make his TE catch footballs in heavy traffic and make plays.

without a good pass catching TE security blanket every QB suffers, franchise, above average, average, or below average.

When the middle of the football field is not used properly the whole Offense suffers as a consequence.

Again, its not rocket science...

Uncle Jesse
04-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Every single TE drafted Rd 1 for last 11 years (since 2003; 11 TEs total) were all still on a roster last year

Per Sal of WGR. Impressive stat.

Figster
04-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Per Sal of WGR. Impressive stat. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Now see if you can say that about Oline drafted in the 1st,

After Mike Williams I can't believe how many people want to go there again, sigh

Uncle Jesse
04-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Now see if you can say that about Oline drafted in the 1st,

After Mike Williams I can't believe how many people want to go there again, sigh

Honestly for me, Mike Williams has nothing to do with it. I just don't think you take right tackles top 10. We got a really good LT in the 2nd round, I think we can do that this year for the right side. I'm ALL for building up the offensive line, I just think we can address it from 2nd round on.

I wold love to add a play making pass catcher like Ebron to this offense, and give Manuel yet another weapon, at a position that has evolved and become an integral part of good offenses.

Figster
04-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Honestly for me, Mike Williams has nothing to do with it. I just don't think you take right tackles top 10. We got a really good LT in the 2nd round, I think we can do that this year for the right side. I'm ALL for building up the offensive line, I just think we can address it from 2nd round on.

I wold love to add a play making pass catcher like Ebron to this offense, and give Manuel yet another weapon, at a position that has evolved and become an integral part of good offenses.

As a GM you wouldn't try to figure in the percentage of 1st round bust at the position?

Or how quickly the player would have an impact on your football team?

better days
04-22-2014, 08:19 AM
TE was a much used target for JK in case you forget.

Some of you guys seem to think a good TE is a luxury and a good enough QB can magically wave a wand and make his TE catch footballs in heavy traffic and make plays.

without a good pass catching TE security blanket every QB suffers, franchise, above average, average, or below average.

When the middle of the football field is not used properly the whole Offense suffers as a consequence.

Again, its not rocket science...

Much used target? Seriously?

Reed, Lofton, Thomas were much used targets.

TE was an after thought.

Figster
04-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Much used target? Seriously?

Reed, Lofton, Thomas were much used targets.

TE was an after thought.

In the 1990 season Lofton had 712 yards receiving and 4 TD's , Keith McKeller had 464 yards receiving and 5 TD's

As an after thought McKellers scoring more points then Lofton

justasportsfan
04-22-2014, 09:07 AM
True but in the days of Bledsoe we had a decent option in Riersmersma and I don't think I put Chandler in his class.

Actually, Riemersma's best year for total yards (590) was in 2000 and his best output for TD's was 6 in 1998. Both with Flutie and Robosack .
HIs nos. were forgetful under Bledsoe.

While Chandlers TD output dropped from 6 to 2, his total yards ( 655 )surpassed Reimersma's best . Thats with EJ/Thad and Tuel.

All things considered Chandler is in the same class as JR and could be better with better quarterbacking.

mysticsoto
04-22-2014, 09:22 AM
I don't know why people don't like Chandler. He's pretty decent. I much rather get an elite Oline. I hope that they grab a great Guard in the draft also. And then force teams to stop the FJ/CJ dynamic duo. Once teams have to play up and put 8 in the box to stop them, EJ's job becomes easier as he'll mostly see WRs/TEs going one on one. With an elite Oline that gives him time, his chances of succeeding improve dramatically. Let's hope he's developing good chemistry w/his receivers in the offseason...

justasportsfan
04-22-2014, 09:46 AM
I don't know why people don't like Chandler. He's pretty decent. I much rather get an elite Oline. I hope that they grab a great Guard in the draft also. And then force teams to stop the FJ/CJ dynamic duo. Once teams have to play up and put 8 in the box to stop them, EJ's job becomes easier as he'll mostly see WRs/TEs going one on one. With an elite Oline that gives him time, his chances of succeeding improve dramatically. Let's hope he's developing good chemistry w/his receivers in the offseason...

because everyone is comparing him to Gronk ? :idunno:

Chandler is not elite but he's been very productive if you take into consideration our QB woes in the last few years.

justasportsfan
04-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Once teams have to play up and put 8 in the box to stop them, EJ's job becomes easier as he'll mostly see WRs/TEs going one on one. Hopefully EJ pulls the trigger when there's 1 on 1. He usually has to see them jumping up and down and waving to him that they're free ALA Trent.

gr8slayer
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
A young QB's best friend is a dangerous TE.

Figster
04-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Eric Ebron thinks the Bills want to draft him

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8909/eric-ebron-thinks-bills-want-to-draft-him

gr8slayer
04-22-2014, 09:51 AM
It's not that people don't like Chandler. It's the fact that we might have an opportunity to draft a guy who will keep DC's up at night.

Figster
04-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Banks Mock goes TE for Bills

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2014/04/22/banks-mock-goes-te-for-bills/

mysticsoto
04-22-2014, 10:30 AM
It's not that people don't like Chandler. It's the fact that we might have an opportunity to draft a guy who will keep DC's up at night.

For the record, I'm not against us drafting Ebron, if they get a RT in the 2nd and an OG in the 3rd. That being said, If Matthews is there on our pick, I think I take him instead.

gr8slayer
04-22-2014, 10:51 AM
You'll never hear me argue against taking OL/DL, unless there's an Andrew Luck type QB sitting there.
For the record, I'm not against us drafting Ebron, if they get a RT in the 2nd and an OG in the 3rd. That being said, If Matthews is there on our pick, I think I take him instead.

chernobylwraiths
04-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Reporter on GR yestereday on the way home said that Ebron has elite talent, but might be a bit lazy as evidenced by his ability to make great catches but drop easy balls. Likes to trash talk too.

The Jokeman
04-22-2014, 04:05 PM
In the 1990 season Lofton had 712 yards receiving and 4 TD's , Keith McKeller had 464 yards receiving and 5 TD's

As an after thought McKellers scoring more points then Lofton

Ebron had 9 redzone targets last year and only came away with 2 of them. Those aren't good numbers for a TE IMHO.

Figster
04-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Ebron had 9 redzone targets last year and only came away with 2 of them. Those aren't good numbers for a TE IMHO.

Do you have a link with this information?

added: verified, I found it on Steelerdepot.com, but not going to post the link because its jamming up my computer

thanks Jokeman

The Jokeman
04-22-2014, 04:46 PM
Do you have a link with this information?

added: verified, I found it on Steelerdepot.com, but not going to post the link because its jamming up my computer

thanks Jokeman

Here's the link for those interested http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-carolina-te-eric-ebron/

Figster
04-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Here's the link for those interested http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/01/2014-nfl-draft-player-profiles-north-carolina-te-eric-ebron/

The problem I have here though Jokeman is targeted doesn't equate to on target.

So there is no way to determine Ebrons drop percentage without knowing how many of the 9 red zone passes Eric Ebron got his hands on.

2 out of 9 sounds bad, but not near as bad If only 4 of them were on target.

Uncle Jesse
04-23-2014, 09:20 AM
The problem I have here though Jokeman is targeted doesn't equate to on target.

So there is no way to determine Ebrons drop percentage without knowing how many of the 9 red zone passes Eric Ebron got his hands on.

2 out of 9 sounds bad, but not near as bad If only 4 of them were on target.

Yeah as someone who watched every UNC game, this is a vague statement and I think it inaccurately portrays Ebrons ability in the red zone.

People also forget he lost his Senior QB (Renner who was very solid) and had a backup throwing him the ball for 6 games this season. I think if Renner played all season Ebrons numbers, and targets would have gone up even more. Williams the backup, may not even start for UNC this year.

Figster
04-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Sports Science on Eric Ebron

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10824158

(http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10824158)He might be our guy so check it out fellas

stuckincincy
05-02-2014, 11:53 AM

I think that best, he's a BPA pick by a mature club that is picking in the bottom quarter of the 1st round.

justasportsfan
05-03-2014, 07:45 AM
I think that best, he's a BPA pick by a mature club that is picking in the bottom quarter of the 1st round.

like the Pats?

Figster
05-03-2014, 08:37 AM
like the Pats?

Just what we need, Eric Ebron kicking our ass for the next ten years,

better days
05-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Just what we need, Eric Ebron kicking our ass for the next ten years,

Ebron is not Gronk or Hernandez. And if Brady is still playing 10 years from now, he will be a shell of his former self.

The Jokeman
05-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Ebron is not Gronk or Hernandez. And if Brady is still playing 10 years from now, he will be a shell of his former self.

I disagree Ebron has some Hernandez to him. As think he's an ideal H-back type TE now. I also see him as a quicker Jermichael Finley. As much as I don't want him I think he ends up our pick when look at the overall look of things. As 1)The Bills gave Chandler less money to re-sign here 2)At the predraft luncheon we're looking to help out EJ 3)We brought him in for a visit but didn't bring in Lewan and we also brought in a bunch of second day thought of OTs 4)We consider RT to be equally valuable as LT. Cordy Glenn was originally a second round pick, where do we pick in the 2nd Round this year? The exact same spot we drafted Glenn at #41. Today, the only way I say Ebron is not our pick is if somehow Matthws falls to us.

Figster
05-03-2014, 12:10 PM

watch for the Pats to draft Brady II in round 2 (AJ McCarron)

better days
05-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I disagree Ebron has some Hernandez to him. As think he's an ideal H-back type TE now. I also see him as a quicker Jermichael Finley. As much as I don't want him I think he ends up our pick when look at the overall look of things. As 1)The Bills gave Chandler less money to re-sign here 2)At the predraft luncheon we're looking to help out EJ 3)We brought him in for a visit but didn't bring in Lewan and we also brought in a bunch of second day thought of OTs 4)We consider RT to be equally valuable as LT. Cordy Glenn was originally a second round pick, where do we pick in the 2nd Round this year? The exact same spot we drafted Glenn at #41. Today, the only way I say Ebron is not our pick is if somehow Matthws falls to us.

Hernandez is a murdering thug, but on the field, he gave his all every play.

Ebron, drops balls he should easily catch. That is NOTHING like Hernandez.

Figster
05-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Hernandez is a murdering thug, but on the field, he gave his all every play.

Ebron, drops balls he should easily catch. That is NOTHING like Hernandez.

Ebron also catches balls an average TE never even gets his hands on in my opinion

The Jokeman
05-03-2014, 12:19 PM
watch for the Pats to draft Brady II in round 2 (AJ McCarron)

Brady II might be more Jeff Mathews (as think he'll be drafted day 3) than McCarron but AJ's stock has fallen a little since the start of the draft season as there was thoughts he was a sure fire 2nd but is moving down board more.

better days
05-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Ebron also catches balls an average TE never even gets his hands on in my opinion

No question Ebron has enormous talent. The question I have about him is the need to be great.

He does not seem to have that burning desire to be the very best.

Figster
05-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Brady II might be more Jeff Mathews (as think he'll be drafted day 3) than McCarron but AJ's stock has fallen a little since the start of the draft season as there was thoughts he was a sure fire 2nd but is moving down board more.

I meant more from a talent/accuracy perspective, then round drafted.

I also have the impression Mccarrons stock is dropping.