PDA

View Full Version : Jills sue the Bills

GingerP
04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Claim the team violated minimum wage laws.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/buffalo-jills-sue-buffalo-bills/

trapezeus
04-22-2014, 01:14 PM
nfl teams screw the cheerleaders over for years. remember on the 90's teams, they wouldn't pay to take them. they made them host a fund raiser to get to go support the team. this doesn't surprise me. it also wouldn't surprise me if the bills just stop having the jills all together.

Homegrown
04-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Dang ... wait til Billy Buffalo hears about this ... Wait Call 888

THATHURMANATOR
04-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Phil?

stuckincincy
04-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Not surprised.

Bengals cheerleaders sued a while back. Not just wages, but also about a truly wild set of restrictions.

Go Jills!

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2014, 01:51 PM
this has become a common occurrence among pro cheerleading squads. Considering the amount the players are making, these ladies make jack squat.

OpIv37
04-22-2014, 01:56 PM
this has become a common occurrence among pro cheerleading squads. Considering the amount the players are making, these ladies make jack squat.

Well the players should make more. Their skill set is more unique and they are the draw- not the cheerleaders. People show up in droves to watch baseball and hockey despite a lack of cheerleaders.

That being said, these girls should make more. They do have talent and it's time-consuming and physically demanding. The teams have plenty of money to pay them fairly.

Pinkerton Security
04-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Well the players should make more. Their skill set is more unique and they are the draw- not the cheerleaders. People show up in droves to watch baseball and hockey despite a lack of cheerleaders.

That being said, these girls should make more. They do have talent and it's time-consuming and physically demanding. The teams have plenty of money to pay them fairly.

So you refuted my point, then backed it up? This shows that you just enjoy arguing, even if its with yourself.

NFL players average $1.9 million per season, divided by 16 games = $118750 per game.
NFL cheerleaders make an average of about $100 per game.

So yes, as you said, NFL players make more than cheerleaders, as they should....if teams dont value the cheerleaders they shouldnt be a part of the organization. They provide entertainment value and while I honestly dont care if they are there or not, if the team values them, they should be paid more.

justasportsfan
04-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Although the jills aren't the elite cheerleaders of the league, they have been more pleasing to the eyes than the players themselves on gameday for the past 10 years. They should be paid more than the play....ers.

Dangit, a 'realist' brain fart on my part.... your fault NBSpiller.

gr8slayer
04-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Cheerleaders are pretty worthless. Give me a marching band any day.

SpikedLemonade
04-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Claim the team violated minimum wage laws.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/22/buffalo-jills-sue-buffalo-bills/

Ralph was NOT cheap.

Who is joining us for the Detroit "You're not a Seven...U-R-an-eight tour"?

SpikedLemonade
04-22-2014, 02:50 PM

Disgraceful behaviour for a multi-billion dollar business.

Pay them less than minimum wage?

Only in America...land of the free.

stuckincincy
04-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Although the jills aren't the elite cheerleaders of the league, they have been more pleasing to the eyes than the players themselves on gameday for the past 10 years. They should be paid more than the play....ers.

Dangit, a 'realist' brain fart on my part.... your fault NBSpiller.

Right you are. If I owned a team, I'd give them 50 bucks an hour, and plenty of comps. Like bus service to and fro games, taxi service for off-site appearances, costume payments, free game tix for them to pass out, etc.

Peanut $ in the grand scheme of things, and great PR is what it they give.

How dumb to not take care of and provide means and incentive for such an asset.

SpikedLemonade
04-22-2014, 02:56 PM

A beautiful young barely clothed women blowing kisses to the crowd or a pimply faced fat male teenager blowing on a tuba.

I can see some may be confused.

gr8slayer
04-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Go to a strip club.
A beautiful young barely clothed women blowing kisses to the crowd or a pimply faced fat male teenager blowing on a tuba.

SpikedLemonade
04-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Go to a strip club.

There is no live football being played.

Why must I choose?

Bill Cody
04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Although the jills aren't the elite cheerleaders of the league

If you were a knockout blond would you show up for less than minimum wage?

Bill Cody
04-22-2014, 03:39 PM

:limp:

jimmifli
04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Ralph was NOT cheap.
Trust is cheap.

DynaPaul
04-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Philster is part of the class action lawsuit. Seriously though, I think they should be paid more since they probably had to swallow some Russ Brandon spunk.

YardRat
04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
I didn't think the Jills were employed by the team, but rather a 'sponsor'. If there is a beef with pay, benefits and job conditions, I would assume the target should be the sponsor. But, obviously, the sponsors pockets aren't as deep as the team's.

This coupled with the dumbass text message settlement for 3mil certainly isn't helping the team any. If what I heard is true, it's pretty damn shameful that someone could gain something from a whopping three excess texts over a two week period, and even worse that the complainants are getting gift cards valued anywhere from $50 to $120, but the lawyers are pocketing over a half mil in fees.

DesertFox24
04-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Look I am all for the cheerleaders getting paid minimum wage for their practices. That being said having a professional cheer leading team where that is their full time job is going way to far.

I am not saying anyone said that or heck even if the Jills or other cheerleaders are I am just saying if that is what they are looking for scrap the team all together.

Skooby
04-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Did they pay the Charlestown bouncy Boosters twins ?

better days
04-22-2014, 06:15 PM
The Bills are being sued by EX Cheerleaders.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

The girls knew what they signed on for & are not employees, but I think they should get better comps/perks.

DraftBoy
04-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Cultural difference, a good marching band can get an entire crowd going. In the southern part of the US they are a huge part of football games.

ZAZusmc03
04-22-2014, 08:31 PM
In January I sat next to a Bengals cheerleader on one of my flights. We talked for the entire 2 hour flight and she gave me a good insight as to how ridiculously underpaid they are. Bengals cheerleaders get $90 a game, and next to nothing otherwise. And hearing about their weight and body fat standards and the brutal practices they go through, the teams can afford to hook them up a little better than they do.

And yes, she was absolutely gorgeous.

TacklingDummy
04-22-2014, 09:19 PM
Easy solution, just get rid of the cheerleaders. Problem solved.

better days
04-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Easy solution, just get rid of the cheerleaders. Problem solved.

Go root for Detroit, problem solved, they don't have Cheerleaders.

I'm sure the Bills have fine lawyers to deal with nuisance lawsuits.

Dr. Lecter
04-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Cultural difference, a good marching band can get an entire crowd going. In the southern part of the US they are a huge part of football games.

do you really want to talk about things that are appreciated by the south?

(that being said, the Battle of the Bands at the Southern-Grambling game is a real highlight)

DesertFox24
04-22-2014, 10:03 PM
I actually agree with TD I personally feel cheer leading is a bad example for young girls.

Seriously they are slightly more dressed than the girls at the gentlemens club getting yelled at by drunkards.

That being said I applaud the cheerleaders as they do work hard at their craft. I just think their skills as dancers and gymnast or overshadowed by skimpy out fits and making them walk Round in swim suits on the man show. As a father of a daughter I don't want her to ever want to be a cheer leader. Apologies to any fathers who daughters cheer not trying to insult just my opinion.

coastal
04-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanked for the marching band... My oldest was in the Rose Bowl parade last year with his high school.

the amount of work he puts in on marching band and indoor percussion is ridiculous.

pretty proud of him and his marching band performance from this year brought tears to my eyes.

http://youtu.be/0GIbW_8QBtQ

coastal
04-22-2014, 10:31 PM

Shame unto you.

coastal junior plays tuba... has no pimples... and clocks all the band hos!

BertSquirtgum
04-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Why do these volunteers think they should be paid? They are volunteers. You don't like it? Don't volunteer yourself. Pretty ****ing simple. Probably some lawyer heard they weren't being paid and figured this could be an easy pay day for him/her.

jimmifli
04-22-2014, 11:45 PM
At my high school the Band chicks are way sluttier than cheerleaders. A good marching band is still a little arousing.

Dr. Lecter
04-23-2014, 04:54 AM
Why do these volunteers think they should be paid? They are volunteers. You don't like it? Don't volunteer yourself. Pretty ****ing simple. Probably some lawyer heard they weren't being paid and figured this could be an easy pay day for him/her.

They aren't volunteers.

better days
04-23-2014, 05:17 AM
They aren't volunteers.

Well, they are not employees either.

GingerP
04-23-2014, 05:28 AM
I'm sure the Bills have fine lawyers to deal with nuisance lawsuits.

The same ones that cost them $3M for a few text messages? Sounds like their lawyers have had as much success as the team lately.

Historian
04-23-2014, 06:26 AM
It goes a little deeper than the min pay issue, according to the news last night.

Because at first, I felt like Hurkey and Better days.... then don't join up.

But there are other issues at stake too:

1. Their uniform (supposedly) costs 600 dollars which comes out of their own pockets.

2. Last year, some current and ex-Jills were made to wear bikinis to a golf outing, and ride with teams in carts. Now it was all on the up and up for charity, but some of them complained of being harassed verbally, as well as having their asses slapped, etc.

If some fat *******, half in the bag, with a cigar hanging out of his mouth, and a golf club in his hand grabbed one of my daughter's asses, it would be the last thing he grabbed for a good six weeks, as I would break all his fingers.

3. Again, the money. Being a Jill, or a Ben-Gal, or a Raider-ette, or an Ea-Gal, or whatever, takes a lot of time and effort, especially with all the charity events they attend all year, telethon, SABAH, store openings, etc.

They should be payed well to appear. They've earned it. The sponsor should pay them fairly, and the Bills should match those funds. Afterall, they are the true beneficiaries of all the publicity. Most of these girls are just college students.

Just my two cents.

YardRat
04-23-2014, 07:40 AM
It goes a little deeper than the min pay issue, according to the news last night.

1. Their uniform (supposedly) costs 600 dollars which comes out of their own pockets.

2. Last year, some current and ex-Jills were made to wear bikinis to a golf outing, and ride with teams in carts. Now it was all on the up and up for charity, but some of them complained of being harassed verbally, as well as having their asses slapped, etc.

If some fat *******, half in the bag, with a cigar hanging out of his mouth, and a golf club in his hand grabbed one of my daughter's asses, it would be the last thing he grabbed for a good six weeks, as I would break all his fingers.

3. Again, the money. Being a Jill, or a Ben-Gal, or a Raider-ette, or an Ea-Gal, or whatever, takes a lot of time and effort, especially with all the charity events they attend all year, telethon, SABAH, store openings, etc.

They should be payed well to appear. They've earned it. The sponsor should pay them fairly, and the Bills should match those funds. Afterall, they are the true beneficiaries of all the publicity. Most of these girls are just college students.

Just my two cents.

I agree with all of this, but the girls operate under the auspices of a sponsor, not the team, as far as I know. So sue the sponsor, not the team.

I know one girl that used to cheer...she busted her ass to make the team, enjoyed it, and did very well...received a lot of pub and exposure (no pun intended) for other ventures that she was interested it. I also know a father who had two daughters that cheered for a couple of seasons. They bailed because they said it was just one continuous cat fight.

better days
04-23-2014, 07:59 AM
I agree with all of this, but the girls operate under the auspices of a sponsor, not the team, as far as I know. So sue the sponsor, not the team.

I know one girl that used to cheer...she busted her ass to make the team, enjoyed it, and did very well...received a lot of pub and exposure (no pun intended) for other ventures that she was interested it. I also know a father who had two daughters that cheered for a couple of seasons. They bailed because they said it was just one continuous cat fight.

I know Cheerleaders have calenders as well which they sign & sell, I'm sure they make some money from them.

But as I said, the girls should get much better perks.

stuckincincy
04-23-2014, 08:04 AM
I know Cheerleaders have calenders as well which they sign & sell, I'm sure they make some money from them.

But as I said, the girls should get much better perks.

Not the Ben-Gals. The $ goes to the team.

Historian
04-23-2014, 08:12 AM
I agree to an extent Rat, but if that is the case the team needs to get more involved in the scheduling of the events they attend.

A drunken golf outing (no matter how noble the cause) may not be the best situation to put the girls into.

And if I personally scheduled a couple show up at a kid's birthday party, I would certainly give them nice tips, like I would a magician, or a clown....but that's me.

YardRat
04-23-2014, 09:18 AM
http://www.footballbabble.com/football/nfl/buffalo-bills/cheerleaders/

Prior to 1986, the Jills were managed by the Bills franchise. This changed when the Mighty Taco chain became their first sponsor and assumed management responsibilities. Other squad sponsors have included Salvatoreu0092s Restaurant and Bradford Travel. Today, their primary sponsor is Citadel Broadcasting, while many other sponsors participate on a year-by-year basis.

Since the 2000-2001 season, the squad has generated revenue by selling an annual swimsuit calendar. As one might imagine, this has been an extremely popular item in the New York area.
An Ambassador Squad was added in 2002. These eight to 12 young women are full members of the Jills, but they do not participate in on-field dance routines. Instead, they specialize in mingling with the fans and representing the Bills in social settings.
The addition of these young women has allowed the Jills to better meet the increasing demand for public appearances. It has also allowed talented women to join the team who otherwise might lack the necessary dance skills or the time to commit to such elaborate routines.

Jills are not paid for their game appearances, but they are allowed one complimentary ticket each game to give to a friend. Personal appearances pay $35 per hour, and Jills appearing in the annual swimsuit calendar receive a commission on sales. Many complimentary items are also provided by sponsors, including tanning, hair and nails, limousine service and dental & plastic surgery.

Raptor
04-23-2014, 09:21 AM
If the Bills dont Scrap the Cheerleaders after this they are morons

bf1
04-23-2014, 09:39 AM
Suit: Bills Cheerleaders Were Taught How To Wash "Intimate Areas":
http://deadspin.com/suit-bills-cheerleaders-were-taught-how-to-wash-intim-1566239771

better days
04-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Suit: Bills Cheerleaders Were Taught How To Wash "Intimate Areas":
http://deadspin.com/suit-bills-cheerleaders-were-taught-how-to-wash-intim-1566239771

Well, that is something all young ladies should be taught.

Historian
04-23-2014, 10:03 AM
The only real money lay in appearances. But, again, most of the time those didn't pay. The cheerleaders were required to make 30-odd free appearances a season, and the powers that be had sole control over who was selected for one of the profitable paid gigs. Not that the Bills, Citadel, and Stejon went unpaid for providing cheerleaders. According to the complaint, Stejon made $10,000 per sponsorship—sponsored clients made up the bulk of the unpaid appearances—and last season the team had at least 11 such arrangements.
There were other events. The cheerleaders host an annual "Junior Jills" program in three cities, where young girls are taught the basics of cheering. The suit says 300-400 girls attend these camps and pay as much as $250 a pop to show up. The Jills did not receive payment

This is pathetic.

Uncle Jesse
04-23-2014, 10:30 AM
The Jills suck and can go away for all I care. As a season ticket holder, they bring nothing to the game or experience. They actually look really stupid down there and it's not like you can hear them anyway.

Historian
04-23-2014, 10:45 AM
To Rat's earlier point, I am in agreement.

The more you look at the documents, the more I believe these young women should be suing the broad from West Seneca and her husband, as opposed to the Bills.

10,000 per appearance, and they get nothing?

That's bull****.

stuckincincy
04-23-2014, 10:51 AM

Some of my southern nephews used to participate, and travel to competitions.

The Warren G. Harding High School Marching Band - Warren, OH, used to be a staple at the Rockpile.

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2014, 11:09 AM

Just my two cents.

Had a discussion with a co-worker who dates a Jill (his fiance). He said number 1 was BS. He said nobody forces them to do the events or even become cheerleaders, but agreed that there should be some type of security out there for those idiots that go too far. But he said that they don't get any money for working practices or games, only for appearances and sales of their calendar. I couldn't believe that.

While I agree that they sign up knowing in their contract what they get paid for and knowing what troglodites do at games and events, they should be paid more than they do, and definitely should be paid for the work at games.

My two cents.

Oh, and I steered my girls away from that kind of crap too.

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
And from the article I read last night, the Jills ARE suing the woman who runs them. From my friend, most if not all of the girls in the lawsuit were Jills for only one year.

But those quoted articles don't seem right. Then again, from my friend here, he said some of the allegations were not true.

Historian
04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Ironically, there's no mention of it on the Jills official site....

jills
04-23-2014, 12:23 PM
If anything the team should sue them for being uglies, they're not even average for NFL's cheerleader standards.

gr8slayer
04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Dude, a good band blaring in the middle of a tight game... there's nothing better.

gr8slayer
04-23-2014, 12:41 PM
I never got to play in the band (because I was usually on the field), but I have nothing but respect for those guys. A lot of people don't realize just how much practice goes into the performances they put on. They put just as much practice, if not more practice, than the football teams do.

There's nothing more awesome than being in a stadium with 70,000+ other people and people getting into chants led by the bands. Cheerleaders just can't get stuff like this going:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nlgfs7bIhys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GTca2nrIn4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanked for the marching band... My oldest was in the Rose Bowl parade last year with his high school.

the amount of work he puts in on marching band and indoor percussion is ridiculous.

pretty proud of him and his marching band performance from this year brought tears to my eyes.

http://youtu.be/0GIbW_8QBtQ

Novacane
04-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Right you are. If I owned a team, I'd give them 50 bucks an hour, and plenty of comps. Like bus service to and fro games, taxi service for off-site appearances, costume payments, free game tix for them to pass out, etc.

Peanut $ in the grand scheme of things, and great PR is what it they give.

How dumb to not take care of and provide means and incentive for such an asset.

They'd do away with cheerleaders before they paid them anywhere near that. There's a reason they don't get paid much. They don't bring in any revenue. No one besides Philster would stop going to games if they did away with the Jills.

stuckincincy
04-23-2014, 01:16 PM
They'd do away with cheerleaders before they paid them anywhere near that. There's a reason they don't get paid much. They don't bring in any revenue. No one besides Philster would stop going to games if they did away with the Jills.

Men like looking at scantily clad women, and have paid for and done so since time immemorial. There's no way to tally how many binoculars home in on the cheerleaders. The broadcast pro game cameramen certainly do, and the college game cameramen are state of the art.

:beer:

better days
04-23-2014, 01:28 PM
Men like looking at scantily clad women, and have paid for and done so since time immemorial. There's no way to tally how many binoculars home in on the cheerleaders. The broadcast pro game cameramen certainly do, and the college game cameramen are state of the art.

Whenever there is a time out, that is where my binoculars are trained.

Novacane
04-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Everything you say is true. I like the shots of the cheerleaders as much as the next guy. I just don't think there would be any less people in the seats if there were no cheerleaders.

stuckincincy
04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
I just don't think there would be any less people in the seats if there were no cheerleaders.

Certainly so. But nothing wrong with a cupcake with extra frosting, eh?

Thief
04-23-2014, 03:40 PM
If the cheerleaders didnt like it or thought they should get paid more.... why didnt they quit? Dumbest lawsuit I ever heard.

chernobylwraiths
04-23-2014, 04:04 PM
If the cheerleaders didnt like it or thought they should get paid more.... why didnt they quit? Dumbest lawsuit I ever heard.

What? You didn't read about the texting lawsuit against the Bills?

Fletch
04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Not surprised.

Bengals cheerleaders sued a while back. Not just wages, but also about a truly wild set of restrictions.

Go Jills!

What I don't get is that they do this for years and champ at the bit to be a cheerleader but then ***** about it years afterwards.

Why take the job in the first place? If they did offer some real money maybe our cheerleaders wouldn't look like they all just got done drinking beer at Big Tree Inn just before games.

chernobylwraiths
04-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Man, you guys are brutal. It's no wonder today's woman have major complexes. If you aren't pretty, you're worthless is the point always driven home.

Figster
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Coming on the heels of this

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/buffalo-bills-pay-about--3-million-to-settle-lawsuit-over-text-messages-163747040.html

(http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/buffalo-bills-pay-about--3-million-to-settle-lawsuit-over-text-messages-163747040.html)Buffalo Bills pay out approx. 3 million dollars for text messaging

DynaPaul
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Look, they do this for the attention and exposure because you can't make a living off of a being a cheerleader. That attention is not always nice and part of the downsides of the job. I'm confused as to how they think this is a lawsuit issue when your job is supposed to be as a hot piece of ass.

better days
04-24-2014, 04:41 PM
What I don't get is that they do this for years and champ at the bit to be a cheerleader but then ***** about it years afterwards.

Why take the job in the first place? If they did offer some real money maybe our cheerleaders wouldn't look like they all just got done drinking beer at Big Tree Inn just before games.

The girls that filed the suit are doing so because they did not make the cut & are no longer a Jill.

A Woman scorned.

HAMMER
04-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Certainly so. But nothing wrong with a cupcake with extra frosting, eh?

I think there are a few of these cheerleaders that have had too many cupcakes with too much frosting.