X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DesertFox24
    • Jul 2005

Phil Simms comment on NFL Radio

Phil Simms was on NFL radio and he made the following comment about a QB that I thought was interesting.

"He said the first two years in the league I did not think this QB was going to make it in the league.

Then the third year I was at their training camp and I saw a throw out of the corner of my eye and I said what a throw by Brett Favre, oh wait that was Aaron Rogers.

In other words QBs can get better in time."

That was his quote not word for word but that is what he said and some was verbatium
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: Phil Simms comment on NFL Radio

That story was well travelled and you have missed the other part: Favre DID NOT help Rogers at all during the time the two share the same team logo, and Rogers admitted as much that they had a rather cold realtionship.

I do believe 90% of success comes from within the individual in a highly competitive environment like NFL, so Rogers is special in that regard. However, I don't know if he would achieve the same kind of success playing for a team, say Buffalo, without the benefit of watching a HOF QB for 3 seasons within arms length. Who know, had Alex Smith and Rogers changed place, maybe we'd talk about Alex Smith now ...

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
      • Sep 2004

@PhilSimmsQuotes on twitter is fantastic to follow, during the season is it's prime.

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

First of all, I can't read a Phil Simms quote without a Southern accent in my head.

But I don't know as if Aaron Rodgers is an example of a quarterback that really got better over time in a large sense, although I'm sure it happens. Rodgers didn't even PLAY until his 4th year. I don't know why Phil Simms would say such a thing just because he saw Rodgers throw a nice pass...he played well since he ever started. And we're talking about practice...did Simms see a lot of him in practice? Not the same, anyway.
        Last edited by feldspar; 04-24-2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
          That story was well travelled and you have missed the other part: Favre DID NOT help Rogers at all during the time the two share the same team logo, and Rogers admitted as much that they had a rather cold realtionship.

I do believe 90% of success comes from within the individual in a highly competitive environment like NFL, so Rogers is special in that regard. However, I don't know if he would achieve the same kind of success playing for a team, say Buffalo, without the benefit of watching a HOF QB for 3 seasons within arms length. Who know, had Alex Smith and Rogers changed place, maybe we'd talk about Alex Smith now ...
          Yeah. The idea of competition making the other guy(s) better is oversold. It has to ultimately come from within.

Comment

• Swiper
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
            Phil Simms was on NFL radio and he made the following comment about a QB that I thought was interesting.

"He said the first two years in the league I did not think this QB was going to make it in the league.

Then the third year I was at their training camp and I saw a throw out of the corner of my eye and I said what a throw by Brett Favre, oh wait that was Aaron Rogers.

In other words QBs can get better in time."

That was his quote not word for word but that is what he said and some was verbatium
            Rodgers sat behind Favre.

Manuel played.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
              Rodgers sat behind Favre.

Manuel played.
              Yeah and if Rodgers had played, he's have been called a bust his first 2 years.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                Escaped Convict
                • Jul 2002

This just in:

ESPN news is reporting.....

EJ Manuel is NOT Aaron Rodgers.

EJ Manuel is Trent Edwards.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  This just in:

ESPN news is reporting.....

EJ Manuel is NOT Aaron Rodgers.

EJ Manuel is Trent Edwards.
                  Who the frig gives a frig about ESPNews?

Comment

• DesertFox24
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

I never said Favre helped him I know he did not. This had to do with Rogers getting better and that it can happen.

Comment

• DesertFox24
                      • Jul 2005

I understand then skeptism with ej. None of the draftniks said he was great so he must suck.

The problem I have is it seems like a large contingent of the fan base wants him to fail so they can say they were right and just bash the front office and team more.

I am not going to say ej was my guy before the draft but he is now and I a routing for him to develop and become a HOF qb.

The bills winning means more to me than trying to pound my chest on a message board.

Bottom line he played 10 games made good throws and bad. Was not great was not terrible and was very inconsistent. Let's see how he does knowing the offense and everyone else around him knowing the offense and having a football offseason not a draft prep offseason which is completely different

Comment

• WagonCircler
                        Escaped Convict
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DesertFox24 View Post
                        I understand then skeptism with ej. None of the draftniks said he was great so he must suck.
                        Ridiculous. I was happy with EJ at first, then, the more I saw him play, the more it became clear WHY he wasn't projected to be a first rounder. I based my decision on his piss poor play, not "draftniks".

Comment

• mayotm
                          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                          Ridiculous. I was happy with EJ at first, then, the more I saw him play, the more it became clear WHY he wasn't projected to be a first rounder. I based my decision on his piss poor play, not "draftniks".
                          It's equally ridiculous to assume a player's career is going to be defined by their rookie season. Bottom line, I don't know how EJ's career is going to turn out. Neither do you.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by mayotm View Post
                            It's equally ridiculous to assume a player's career is going to be defined by their rookie season. Bottom line, I don't know how EJ's career is going to turn out. Neither do you.
                            This is particularly true for a rookie that missed half the preseason, and 6 games in the regular season, with injuries - and was not always healthy in the 10 games he played.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• kishoph
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
                              This is particularly true for a rookie that missed half the preseason, and 6 games in the regular season, with injuries - and was not always healthy in the 10 games he played.

Add to that, a rookie head coach, a rookie OC, a corp of inexperienced receivers, a running game filled with injuries and a porous O line. Damn "EJ sucks", get rid of him.

Comment

Working...
                              X