PDA

View Full Version : Will they find some competition for EJ ?

Skooby
04-24-2014, 08:27 PM
I think he deserves to try & win the starting QB job, not having it handed it to him. Nothing says be comfortable like not having another player to compete against, we need to get somebody real to challenge him. Can we draft someone with half a chance early ?

mightysimi
04-24-2014, 10:30 PM
I think he deserves to try & win the starting QB job, not having it handed it to him. Nothing says be comfortable like not having another player to compete against, we need to get somebody real to challenge him. Can we draft someone with half a chance early ?

I think you should prepare yourself for that to not happen.

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2014, 10:49 PM
Big bad Thad and Tuel time aren't competition?

kishoph
04-25-2014, 04:12 AM
Finding "competition" for EJ is a stupid idea, he needs reps, not competition that will take reps away from him. The Bills brass has put their faith in Manuel, so they need to prepare him and get him weapons, not worry about trying to push him through competition. The whole idea that a young QB gets better by being pushed by competition is foolish IMO, a good athlete is going to push himself and doesn't need another player, who will take away practice reps to do it. Maybe trying to push a veteran QB with competition is something that can work, but not a young QB, that needs all the practice he can get. You also can screw the kids head up by having him have to look over his shoulder all the time, worrying about making a mistake and losing his job. I'm not saying that JP Losman could of been a good QB, but he was put in a position where he always had to worry about making a mistake and I'm sure that screwed with his head. I'm all for bringing in a veteran QB that can help develop EJ and be there if needed, but not one to compete against him. You spent a 1st round pick on the kid, you better "hand him" a job, if he shows he can't do it, then you bring in someone that can.

Skooby
04-25-2014, 05:45 AM
If EJ gets hurt for a 4th time, we need depth.

Historian
04-25-2014, 06:51 AM
He's their guy, sink or swim.

The success of this coaching staff will depend on his development, and his success.

Stop creating these spam threads Skoob, they're beneath you.

DraftBoy
04-25-2014, 07:03 AM
Will they find some competition for him? Yea but it won't be in the form of a high draft pick or a FA signing. They may take a low round flyer on a QB (Logan Thomas if he falls makes a lot of sense) or sign another UDFA to push the group.

EJ is going to get all of his reps, but I don't think Whaley is foolish enough to not go after at least one other high ceiling low risk QB in May.

The King
04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
The Bills have pretty much answered this question already.

feldspar
04-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Buddy Nix said that the Bills VERY seriously thought about taking another quarterback in last year's draft. I thought they should have. The Redskins gave up the farm for RG3, but that didn't stop them for taking Kirk Cousins in the 4th round. Look at what the Seahawks did with Matt Flynn: they signed Flynn to a contract that guaranteed $9 million, and then they didn't even play him AT ALL...ever (except for about 10 passing attempts). Well, EJ Manuel is guaranteed about the same money as Flynn was...again, Flynn didn't play at all for the Seahawks. Why? Because they covered their bases by drafting a guy named Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. How's that working out so far?

I don't know as if the Bills WILL find some competition for EJ, but I think they should. I've always targeted Aaron Murray, for one. The only thing the Bills ever owed Manuel is close to $9 million. Other than that, they shouldn't worry about the psychology of making him feel uncomfortable for having another guy on the roster that may be actually kinda good. The game of football is BASED on this type of pressure of competition in the first place. That is what it is all about...that's why they play the game, and that's why people watch it. Competition.

I think you bring in a guy like Aaron Murray and push Tool to the practice squad.

Fletch
04-25-2014, 10:01 AM

I sure hope so, they'll be able to find comparably rated/ranked talent in late round 2 for sure and maybe even into round 3.

Skooby
04-25-2014, 10:12 AM
I sure hope so, they'll be able to find comparably rated/ranked talent in late round 2 for sure and maybe even into round 3.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

phil3782
04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
There is no question they need to add another QB to the mix earlier than later in this draft. EJ has not proven at this point he is an franchise QB so lets have a plan B.

Skooby
04-25-2014, 10:23 AM
There is no question they need to add another QB to the mix earlier than later in this draft. EJ has not proven at this point he is an franchise QB so lets have a plan B.

Agreed.

Fletch
04-25-2014, 10:26 AM
That's what I'm thinking as well.

They'd be foolish not to, so expect them to not take one. In fact, I'd bet on it, that they don't take a QB in the first 3 rounds despite the fact that it's the single biggest position holding them back right now.

Granted, they still have a bunch of holes, but the one that would patch up the biggest talent gap is at QB.

Skooby
04-25-2014, 12:16 PM
They'd be foolish not to, so expect them to not take one. In fact, I'd bet on it, that they don't take a QB in the first 3 rounds despite the fact that it's the single biggest position holding them back right now.

Granted, they still have a bunch of holes, but the one that would patch up the biggest talent gap is at QB.

Our depth there is absolute 0.

YardRat
04-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Murray McCarron or Mettenberg please and thank you.

Skooby
04-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Murray McCarron or Mettenberg please and thank you.

They might all help.