PDA

View Full Version : Bills pick up Dareus option

Skooby
04-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Bills picked up 5th-year option for 2015 on former first-round pick Marcell Dareus, per source.

jimmifli
04-25-2014, 10:30 AM
AND? How about extending him?

Nope. We're going to let him test the market? Or franchise him?

****. Should have been done last off season.

SquishDaFish
04-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Jimmifli chill out this option is next season they need to concentrate on spiller seeing he's in last year now. Then move on to dareus

better days
04-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Jimmifli chill out this option is next season they need to concentrate on spiller seeing he's in last year now. Then move on to dareus

I think the Bills are also waiting on the next owner before extending contracts they don't have to yet.

DraftBoy
04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
At least they exercised the damn option. Now start talking extension.

Skooby
04-25-2014, 11:03 AM
At least they exercised the damn option. Now start talking extension.

Exactly, the deadline was coming up so this was a needed step.

OpIv37
04-25-2014, 11:29 AM

He won't be a FA until after the 2015 season. They've got nearly 2 years to work something out.

I understand the concern because this team does let far too many good players walk, but let the process play out first.

SpikedLemonade
04-25-2014, 11:54 AM

I hope this is just a step towards extending him.

This is for his 5th year and next year he is under contract for his 4th year so there is time this year to get an extension done.

This 5th year option is per the CBA and I believe it is an expensive one year solution. Much better to sign him long-term if they value him.

stuckincincy
04-25-2014, 12:02 PM
He won't be a FA until after the 2015 season. They've got nearly 2 years to work something out.

I understand the concern because this team does let far too many good players walk, but let the process play out first.

As in showing up on time for team meetings? Dareus comes off as a selfish idiot, not caring to do a simple task that millions accomplish every day. BUF - rightly - won't commit to a longer contract. Lest he then lay down and complain about bunions or some such, which wouldn't interfere with bank withdrawals...

Skooby
04-25-2014, 12:04 PM
As in showing up on time for team meetings? Dareus comes off as a selfish idiot, not caring to do a simple task that millions accomplish every day. BUF - rightly - won't commit to a longer contract. Lest he then lay down and complain about bunions or some such, which wouldn't interfere with bank withdrawals...

I bet his best behavior comes after this season.

OpIv37
04-25-2014, 12:07 PM
So maybe that's what this is about. The Bills are giving him two years to man up. If he does, they'll offer him a contract. If he doesn't, franchise and trade or just let him walk and don't worry about it.

Dareus is playing for his next contract now, whether it's with us or someone else. Hopefully that motivates him.

jimmifli
04-25-2014, 12:20 PM
No they don't.

There is no incentive for a player in the final season of a deal to sign. Even waiting until next season means that we'll have to overpay (and we only do that every 4 years for a big name free agent).

The longer we wait the more it costs and the lower the chance we resign him.

But he's not that good anyways... right.

better days
04-25-2014, 12:45 PM
No they don't.

There is no incentive for a player in the final season of a deal to sign. Even waiting until next season means that we'll have to overpay (and we only do that every 4 years for a big name free agent).

The longer we wait the more it costs and the lower the chance we resign him.

But he's not that good anyways... right.

Well, he is no Eric Wood or Stevie Johnson or Freddie Jackson.

Oh wait, maybe he is.

Homegrown
04-25-2014, 12:55 PM
The option sounds like a great way to structure a pre-nup .... "Honey, heres the thing, we'll be married for 3 years, at which time I have the option to continue the marriage for 2 more years" .... just speaking from experience

IlluminatusUIUC
04-25-2014, 01:04 PM
No they don't.

There is no incentive for a player in the final season of a deal to sign.

Of course there are - the risk of injury, a weak contract year, or a stacked fa class/draft at your position.

stuckincincy
04-25-2014, 01:10 PM
So maybe that's what this is about. The Bills are giving him two years to man up. If he does, they'll offer him a contract. If he doesn't, franchise and trade or just let him walk and don't worry about it.

Dareus is playing for his next contract now, whether it's with us or someone else. Hopefully that motivates him.

Hopefully.

CIN inked AJ Green to the option year, and he's a nice youngster with no attitude. But he does rely on talent, and IMO hasn't done much to work on running routes that aids his qb. CIN signed him for the option year, but unless he decides to make a cut or two and come back into the play save 5 yards from the sideline - and he has the physical skills for that - I would let him go elsewhere. Green also needs to be coached to halt his burst-to-the middle move, andt hen not streak to the EZ but hold up, turn around, for a 15, 20 or whatever yard sure thing.

jimmifli
04-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Of course there are - the risk of injury, a weak contract year, or a stacked fa class/draft at your position.
A weak contract year? If that happens what makes anyone think the current team is likely to pay more than other teams? If he tanks, the Bills will low ball him and he'll want to test the market anyways.

A stacked class? At DT? That's happened so many times before.

Injury is always the risk. But is it enough of a risk to take less than money for 5 years? As we've seen recently, most players think not.

Dareus is on his way to being paid as a top 5 defensive player in the NFL. Extend him now, and we get him for top DT money, wait and he's going to get Mario Williams money.

stuckincincy
04-25-2014, 01:17 PM

Indeed. Pro sports contract history is riddled with 1 year fat $ deals.

feldspar
04-25-2014, 01:37 PM
So Dareus will be getting a fully guaranteed $8.06 million in 2015. That's not so bad.

Night Train
04-25-2014, 03:16 PM
The Bills are just exercising an option written into the contract.

He's a good player but they get another year to be financially sure for contract #2.

better days
04-25-2014, 03:26 PM
The Bills are just exercising an option written into the contract.

He's a good player but they get another year to be financially sure for contract #2.

As has been said before, it would be an expensive year.

It would be in both the Bills & Dareus's best interest to extend the contract before it gets to that year.

Buffalo Billy Bison
04-25-2014, 03:36 PM
We drafted him 3rd in the first round and he eats up space and can move. He's just coming into his own and picking up the 5th year option makes a lot of sense.
After having personal issues last year, this should be a banner year for him or let him test free agency. Personally, I would love to keep him for a few more years!

YardRat
04-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Same old Brandon, same old Bills.

Oh...wait a minute...

SquishDaFish
04-25-2014, 04:26 PM
Talk about OVER REACTION LOL. Its an option built in to every first rd rookie contract. You have to pick it up before a certain date going into season 4. Or he would be going to FA WITH SPILLER! Now we can concentrate on Spiller then Dareus

swiper
04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
This was kind of an expected thing, given his performance so far.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2014, 01:17 PM
A weak contract year? If that happens what makes anyone think the current team is likely to pay more than other teams? If he tanks, the Bills will low ball him and he'll want to test the market anyways.

If he tanks, why do you assume he'd prefer to test a weak market? And if he really tanks, would we be upset at losing him either?

A stacked class? At DT? That's happened so many times before.

I was speaking in general terms, but yes, stacked DT draft classes do happen. In 2010 three DTs went in the top 10 picks. In 2011, five DTs (including Dareus) went in the first round. And that doesn't include any free agents.

Injury is always the risk. But is it enough of a risk to take less than money for 5 years? As we've seen recently, most players think not.

And some players don't.

Dareus is on his way to being paid as a top 5 defensive player in the NFL.

Maybe as a top 5 DT but top 5 overall for defenders? Not a chance. Right now the Top 5 defensive contracts by guaranteed money are for Hali, Charles Johnson, Ngata, Byrd, and Talib. By overall contract value, its Mario, Johnson, Clay Matthews, Suh, and Atkins as far as I can see. Between now and 2016 we have the possibility of large extensions for Von Miller, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, JJ Watt, and Luke Keuchly among others. Dareus won't crack that lineup.

That said, your concern doesn't make sense. If you don't think a guy will sign in the last year of his deal then you should be ecstatic about this move. Otherwise, this would be the last year of his deal.

Woodman
04-26-2014, 01:23 PM
It's a great start hopefully the soon to be new ownership gets an extension done.

D'Angelo Vickers
04-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Collecting good players. Good move.

Luisito23
04-26-2014, 03:19 PM
He needs to stay...Spiller, I don't care if he stays, or leaves.

Skooby
04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Great move by the team.

Skooby
05-07-2014, 01:24 PM
This doesn't look as good as it did.

The last buffalo fan
05-07-2014, 04:50 PM
The loser here is the player! Of course, if it is money related.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2014, 05:33 PM
This doesn't look as good as it did.

It still looks fine to me. I don't see him getting suspended. Hopefully the embarrassment to himself and his family is enough to open his eyes about being more responsible.

Skooby
05-07-2014, 05:59 PM
It still looks fine to me. I don't see him getting suspended. Hopefully the embarrassment to himself and his family is enough to open his eyes about being more responsible.
He's been tardy for meetings, so his disrespect for authority seems like a pattern here. I hope you're right.

jimmifli
10-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Maybe as a top 5 DT but top 5 overall for defenders? Not a chance. Right now the Top 5 defensive contracts by guaranteed money are for Hali, Charles Johnson, Ngata, Byrd, and Talib. By overall contract value, its Mario, Johnson, Clay Matthews, Suh, and Atkins as far as I can see. Between now and 2016 we have the possibility of large extensions for Von Miller, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, JJ Watt, and Luke Keuchly among others. Dareus won't crack that lineup.

You still think so? His price keeps going up!

YardRat
10-06-2014, 05:05 AM
It's going to cost to keep Dareus (officially a FA after 2015 season). Spikes and Hughes are FA's after this season also, the rest of the list is kind of 'meh' (except maybe Searcy).

Good thing we have cap room :D

'16 is a big year, including Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Robey and some key depth players like Charles.

DraftBoy
10-06-2014, 12:29 PM
It's going to cost to keep Dareus (officially a FA after 2015 season). Spikes and Hughes are FA's after this season also, the rest of the list is kind of 'meh' (except maybe Searcy).

Good thing we have cap room :D

'16 is a big year, including Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham, Robey and some key depth players like Charles.

When did Searcy become good enough to be considered "meh"?

Fletch
10-06-2014, 12:32 PM

He's also massively inconsistent in his performances and takes entire games off. He strikes me as being a perfect candidate for getting a sizeable second contract and then taking a long on-field vacation.

Either way, this team shouldn't do **** in this way until we have a new FO. If Kim doesn't put one in then shame on her.

Spiller shouldn't be extended. Let him go, he's going to want too much money. He's too inconsistent to be counted on in game planning. His successes are far too random.

Dr. Lecter
10-06-2014, 12:36 PM
What game has he taken off this year?

better days
10-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Dareus had a GREAT game against the Lions.

Outplayed Suh.

DraftBoy
10-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Dareus had a GREAT game against the Lions.

Outplayed Suh.

They both had really good games. Suh was a nightmare inside for us, Dareus had a bigger game statistically but Suh had a huge impact on our offensive plans.

better days
10-06-2014, 02:23 PM
They both had really good games. Suh was a nightmare inside for us, Dareus had a bigger game statistically but Suh had a huge impact on our offensive plans.

Agreed Suh always makes a huge impact.

But Dareus had a bigger impact yesterday...........the Bills WON.

And Suh will be a FA next year as well.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-07-2014, 01:52 PM
You still think so? His price keeps going up!

I do still think so. The big guaranteed contracts have started to be handed out:
JJ Watt: $52 million
Peterson: $47 million
Quinn: $41 million
Sherman: $40 million
Hali: $35 million

By contrast, Mario was only $31 million. I don't see Dareus vaulting those guys.