Inside The NFL Draft - What Really Goes On?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Inside The NFL Draft - What Really Goes On?

Do teams track who other teams are bringing in for visits?

Do teams hire private investigators to find out information about potential draft picks?

How often do owners override what the coaches, GM, and scouts think and play armchair QB on draft day?

Do coaches around the league draft players based on talent alone, or do teams now invest more time and research in to the player they're drafting based on their own personal conduct off the field?

So much time, energy and money is spent on deciding who to draft and why.

I'd like to know more about what really happens behind the scenes.

How often do pro football scouts go to college games, and then go out and get hammered?

Has an NFL coach ever decided not to draft somebody just because of their table manners?

How much of the draft process involves trying to deceive other teams and intentionally making them think they're going to draft x when they really want to draft y?
  • IlluminatusUIUC
    • Sep 2012

Re: Inside The NFL Draft - What Really Goes On?

Kevin Costner has a documentary about it playing in theaters right now. You should go.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I actually enjoyed that movie. Plus, I'm really looking forward to Mace's response to these questions.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

The whole beautiful, inspiring dancing scene of Whitey's Lindy Hoppers.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          How often do owners override what the coaches, GM, and scouts think and play armchair QB on draft day?
          Jerry Jones says hi.

Wilson meddled in roster moves in his day but my understanding was he stayed clear of the draft. The problem was he gave final say to the wrong people who made bad picks ( TD and Jauron come immediately to mind ).

Whaley and Marrone seem to be communicating well over picks and vet aquisitions but they're only one year in...so I'm willing to give this roster reshaping a chance without referencing the past prior to Marrones arrival and giving Whaley the keys to the GM office.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
            • Jul 2002

Without mentioning specifics and spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet, a lot of Draft Day was unrealistic. Those trades would never happen in the real NFL, nor would doing due diligence on a player hours before the draft.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
              Without mentioning specifics and spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet, a lot of Draft Day was unrealistic. Those trades would never happen in the real NFL, nor would doing due diligence on a player hours before the draft.
              I haven't seen the movie, but I still can't believe what Dan Snyder gave up for RG3.

Mike Shanahan's face went from red to deep purple.

Nobody, "talks," in the NFL because if they do their next job opportunity won't have anything to do with football.

The NFL also has a PR scrubbing machine the size of Tokyo, and the players and coaches know it.

A one year contract for Brandon Spikes?

That doesn't make sense. Maybe this was the reason why.......

NFL Says the Patriots Didn't Lie about Injuries

After Aqib Talib and Brandon Spikes both passive-aggressively accused the Patriots of lying about injuries when they left the team as free agents this offseason, the NFL launched an investigation into the allegations made by the now-former New England teammates. And earlier on Friday, when the league's results were released, Bill Belichick and the Patriots organization was cleared.

---------------

Blackball, or football?

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                I actually enjoyed that movie. Plus, I'm really looking forward to Mace's response to these questions.
                Can you please give us a brief review for those of us who haven't seen it...yet?

The movie is said to be unrealistic, but we all know how the NFL PR spin machine works.

I haven't seen the movie, but even if 25% of it is factually true and the NFL didn't like it, they will do everything in their power to keep the lid on it and buy off the media to prevent people from seeing it.

Now I want to see it.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                  Ask Dan Rooney...

That unlikely play, in retrospect, serves as something of a metaphor for Roethlisberger's Steelers career, because so much had to break just right for him to wear black and gold in the first place.

“We didn't expect that he would end up in Pittsburgh,” Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger's agent, said.

Indeed, 10 teams picked ahead of the Steelers in the 2004 draft, including the Browns, who would have been hailed for taking the Ohio native to lift the struggling franchise.

And Roethlisberger's camp didn't know to what extent he was on the Steelers' radar.

The team had met with Roethlisberger at the NFL scouting combine and also hosted him for a pre-draft visit, but they never worked him out. Tollner figured he would go to the Raiders at No. 2, the Cardinals at No. 3, the Giants at No. 4 or the Browns at No. 6.

If none of those teams drafted Roethlisberger, Tollner thought, Buffalo at No. 13 would be the probable landing spot for his client...

...The team had zeroed in on Arkansas offensive tackle Shawn Andrews, but owner Dan Rooney deftly shifted the conversation to Roethlisberger before the Steelers made their pick.

Rooney had good reason to speak up.

The Steelers had built their dynasty in the 1970s -- and transformed an organization once synonymous with losing -- through shrewd drafting.

They had missed an opportunity near the end of Bradshaw's career when they passed on local legend Dan Marino in the 1983 draft and instead selected Texas Tech defensive tackle Gabe Rivera with the 21st pick.

The Dolphins pounced on Marino with the 27th selection, and his strong arm and quick-as-a-hiccup release allowed the Pitt product to become an early star in Miami and eventually a first-ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer.

The Steelers, meanwhile, shuffled through enough quarterbacks in the post-Bradshaw era that seven different players led them in passing from 1983 to 2003.

Rooney fretted that overlooking Roethlisberger also might come back to haunt the Steelers.

"I couldn't bear the thought of passing on another great quarterback prospect," Rooney wrote in his book "Dan Rooney: My 75 Years With The Pittsburgh Steelers and The NFL."

"So I steered the conversation around to Roethlisberger. After some more talk, we came to a consensus and picked Roethlisberger."

Here is the latest Pittsburgh Steelers' mailbag. If you have a question please send to @ScottBrown_ESPN with the #mail.

Probably one of the reasons the Steelers wouldn't trade with the Bills that year..they wanted him.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BillsImpossible
                    Can you please give us a brief review for those of us who haven't seen it...yet?
                    I just enjoyed it because I'm a fan of the draft, and like the front office stuff. Nice shots of some of the stadiums, and inclusion of a few teams around the league, not just Cleveland. Some of it may be unrealistic, as previously mentioned some of the trades, and mostly likely some of the banter between GM's of the teams (although not as far-fetched maybe, simply because we all know how GM's talk when they think they are speaking to each other from the Nix/radio show incident). They did a nice job of setting up protagonists/antagonists, and I thought they did a good job of establishing the pace for what the draft, and draft rooms, may really be like when the clock is running. The relationship angle (to draw female viewers) really was kept to a minimum.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                      I just enjoyed it because I'm a fan of the draft, and like the front office stuff. Nice shots of some of the stadiums, and inclusion of a few teams around the league, not just Cleveland. Some of it may be unrealistic, as previously mentioned some of the trades, and mostly likely some of the banter between GM's of the teams (although not as far-fetched maybe, simply because we all know how GM's talk when they think they are speaking to each other from the Nix/radio show incident). They did a nice job of setting up protagonists/antagonists, and I thought they did a good job of establishing the pace for what the draft, and draft rooms, may really be like when the clock is running. The relationship angle (to draw female viewers) really was kept to a minimum.
                      I read somewhere - long time ago - that Jennifer Garner was a top-rank NFL fantasy league player, and won a bundle at it.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                        This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                        • Feb 2009

The movie was a decent watch. If you are at all a fan of the draft, watch it. However (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

The trades were totally unrealistic. And by that I mean teams in Madden games would not even go for them. With the final trade I felt like it had too much of a Disney feel. Costner as GM seemed too well rested the night before the draft, especially after nailing J-Garner that night. He had too much free time on Draft Day. Obviously I don't know what GMs go though and do on draft day, but I feel like they don't sleep much and have a hundred people talking to them at all times. I liked the camera work and the dialogue. The inclusion of other teams was cool, and Buffalo was included. Its too bad that they chose Seattle to have the first pick, the year they won the Super Bowl. Nothing the producers could do about that.

So its worth watching. Im sure Ill watch it again next year before the real draft.
                        True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Why was Buffalo scrapped in lieu of Cleveland?

Comment

• THRILLHO
                            This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                            Why was Buffalo scrapped in lieu of Cleveland?
                            I think it was cheaper to film in Ohio vs NY.
                            True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Anyone know the Vegas odds for the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft?

How much influence does the draft have on oddsmakers?

Comment

Working...
                              X