PDA

View Full Version : Whaley pans lateness of this years' draft

stuckincincy
04-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Bills GM: Delaying draft doesn't help; NFL didn't have to move it to May
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com April 25, 2014 4:50 pm ET

..."Turns out, it's not just fans and media who abhor the 2014 NFL Draft taking place two weeks later than usual. Bills general manager Doug Whaley thinks the extra fortnight of waiting around isn't worth the hassle, either.

"I'd say, for us, it doesn't help us," Whaley said Friday, via ESPN.com's Mike Rodak. "I'm a firm believer in the saying, 'study long, study wrong.' I like to go with my gut, my gut feeling.""...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24539234/bills-gm-holding-draft-2-weeks-later-doesnt-help-us

OpIv37
04-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Is there a reason why the draft has to be held at Radio City other than "because that's where we've always done it?"

If the NFL was willing to change venues, this never would have been a problem in the first place.

Maybe there are some logistical problems I'm not aware of, but I have to wonder why the combine is always in Indy and the draft is always in NYC. You'd think the NFL would benefit from the exposure of moving them around. Obviously the combine needs to be in a dome, but off the top of my head I thought of 8 other teams that have domes. The draft could be held almost anywhere.

stuckincincy
04-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Is there a reason why the draft has to be held at Radio City other than "because that's where we've always done it?"

If the NFL was willing to change venues, this never would have been a problem in the first place.

Maybe there are some logistical problems I'm not aware of, but I have to wonder why the combine is always in Indy and the draft is always in NYC. You'd think the NFL would benefit from the exposure of moving them around. Obviously the combine needs to be in a dome, but off the top of my head I thought of 8 other teams that have domes. The draft could be held almost anywhere.

NYC is one of the world's entertainment capitals. Lotsa fun things to do if you have the $. I've no idea why they couldn't have found another NYC venue.

Regarding Indy and the combine - decently centralized location, comparatively staid, midwestern town - wholesome atmosphere for the draftees-in-waiting. :2cents:

YardRat
04-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Moving the draft around like they do the Super Bowl would be a great idea, and all 32 teams could benefit at some point.

Maybe they've got a better chance of attracting fans from more teams to attend, though, considering how populous and diverse NYC is.

Crisis
04-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Well Indy's location for the combine is good because it's central, the dome with good facilities, and I believe they have a ton of hotels available because of the Indy 500.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2014, 04:19 PM
The NFL Draft should be held in Las Vegas.

I'd go in a heartbeat.

Night Train
04-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Roger God talks about making the draft 4 days. What a dumb idea. He doesn't impress me at all.

It needs to be reduced back to 2 days.

Plus it needs to go on the road to a different NFL city each year.

BillsImpossible
04-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Roger God talks about making the draft 4 days. What a dumb idea. He doesn't impress me at all.

That is a really great idea. I think every single NFL city in America has an arena like the First Niagara Center.

If the weather is good, hold the Draft in an NFL stadium. If the weather is crap, head to the arena and have a few beers.

If the weather was supposed to be good, and a storm hits the Draft, ratings would explode.

Picture a monsoon of rain falling on the Commish in the middle of RWS..."With the first pick in the 2015 draft the New England Patriots select...."

Mace
04-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Goodell is kind of obviously starting to try to needlessly milk the money machine. Hm, 7 rounds, let's make it 7 days of draft ! In June, because we can run the season into March by adding a couple more games and more playoff teams, expanding into the untapped Chinese market with showcase games and 8-9 franchises, and we can add a couple more quarters for additional commercial revenue.....

TacklingDummy
04-26-2014, 05:00 PM
Funny they hold the draft in a city that doesn't even have a team. New York City.

stuckincincy
04-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Funny they hold the draft in a city that doesn't even have a team. New York City.

It's all about globalism these days - even New Jersey.

DraftBoy
04-26-2014, 05:22 PM

NFL announced just yesterday that for the 2015 draft they don't have a date or venue yet.

stuckincincy
04-26-2014, 05:28 PM
NFL announced just yesterday that for the 2015 draft they don't have a date or venue yet.

That's convenient.

Ed
04-26-2014, 06:33 PM
I've heard that the NFL wants to make the combine an event that's more fan friendly and open to the public, but they would probably want to move it from Indy to somewhere more appealing for fans to travel to.

Jeff1220
04-26-2014, 11:52 PM
They could quell LA's hunger for NFL football by giving them the draft. It's perfect - red carpet, nice climate, large media market. And that's about all the NFL football LA would want, need, or be able to handle.

EricStratton
04-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Watching college kids work out in the combine or on pro-days for ratings still makes me scratch my head. Pushing the draft to 3 days or 4 days or 5 days and making it a traveling road show is just another step into the abyss.

The Zone Ranger
04-27-2014, 10:16 AM
Can you say"over exposure" ? The sport can handle it's own without the interference from the fifth ave. Medellers. Under Goddell's stewardship the NFL marketing has become annoying.

better days
04-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Moving the draft around like they do the Super Bowl would be a great idea, and all 32 teams could benefit at some point.

Maybe they've got a better chance of attracting fans from more teams to attend, though, considering how populous and diverse NYC is.

I doubt potential draftees or fans would be too excited about going to Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cinci, Green Bay, etc for the draft.

EricStratton
04-27-2014, 11:53 AM
With ESPN pulling the strings and all the media in NYC it would surprise me to have it in any other city.

GvilleBills
04-27-2014, 12:58 PM

Man, I miss the draft marathon. Two days of the draft, food and drink, and nothing else.