PDA

View Full Version : Crapitals don't renew McPhee's contract, Oates fired!........... going after McDavid?

DetDannyWilliams
04-26-2014, 02:55 PM
McPhee's contract was up and the team announced it will not give him a new one after his 17 years as the GM, which included drafting Alex Ovechkin (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3637/) and Nicklas Backstrom in the first round.
Oates was fired with one season left on his three-year contract. A former star player for the Capitals, he was in his first job as an NHL head coach.

''I feel a change is needed in order to get us back to being a top echelon team that competes for the Stanley Cup,'' Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said, according to the team's news release announcing the moves.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/caps-let-oates-mcphee-missing-145630385--nhl.html

Wonder now what this means for Ovenchicken? does he leave Washington and ask for a trade? he was very close to McPhee sources that I've read had said why wouldn't he? McPhee drafted him! Ovenchicken did score 51g ths season but he didn't seem happy in Washington these last two seasons. Are the Crapitals going after McDavid? makes sense get rid of Ovenchicken and do bad for McDavid? it seems like the Crapitals are going the same route the Sabres did this season fire the GM and coach bring in Murray and Nolan. The only difference is that Washington has players and the Sabres don't! and other teams don't want the Sabres to get McDavid!

JATMtheJATM
04-27-2014, 10:53 AM
calm. the team has underachieved for seasons now. they are probably bringing in a new GM with a new philosophy.

SpikedLemonade
04-27-2014, 11:31 AM
.....and other teams don't want the Sabres to get McDavid!

WTF does this mean?

JATMtheJATM
04-27-2014, 12:57 PM
WTF does this mean?

the sabres already have a plethora of good prospects. its considered the best in the NHL by several media outlets and scouts are the NHL. the sabres will add to it with a high pick this draft. if the sabres add mcdavid to that, the sabres are set up to become a force if everything goes correctly. even without him, the sabres are sitting mighty pretty. so i think its pretty simple that alot of teams dont want the sabres getting mcdavid, for other reasons outside the crosby factor (the crosby factor is why everyone but pittsburgh fans hate crosby. simply because hes not on their team. so they concoct this hatred for him, calling him a whiner crybaby. when in reality, hes no worse then many in the league. its pure jealousy)

ckg927
04-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Bottom line: I don't think the Caps will go into the tank to be in a position to draft McDavid or Eichel.

That's OUR mission.

coastal
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
the sabres already have a plethora of good prospects. its considered the best in the NHL by several media outlets and scouts are the NHL. the sabres will add to it with a high pick this draft. if the sabres add mcdavid to that, the sabres are set up to become a force if everything goes correctly. even without him, the sabres are sitting mighty pretty. so i think its pretty simple that alot of teams dont want the sabres getting mcdavid, for other reasons outside the crosby factor (the crosby factor is why everyone but pittsburgh fans hate crosby. simply because hes not on their team. so they concoct this hatred for him, calling him a whiner crybaby. when in reality, hes no worse then many in the league. its pure jealousy)
Disagree.

Crosby is a whiner crybaby and I wouldn't chose him to build a team around.

OpIv37
04-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Being in the DC area, this was a long time coming and what a lot of fans wanted. The Caps have underachieved for probably 6 years now.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the fan base now. Every team has more fans when they are winning but DC is such a winner's town. The Wizards are in the playoffs, the Nats are up and coming and the Skins should be better with a healthy RGIII. I suspect that arena will have a lot of empty seats in the near future.

As far as tanking for McDavid, it would be epically stupid. It would be wasting the prime of Ovechkin's career and with the lottery, there is no guarantee they could get him. And like I just said, the fan base is too fickle to risk pissing them off by tanking.

And I don't think they trade Ovechkin either. He has something like 7 years left on his contract. No one will want that. Yeah, he got 50 goals but he was a -34. No team will risk sticking themselves with a guy who has become a one way player for so long. The Caps are stuck with him.

mightysimi
04-27-2014, 09:35 PM
51 goals and -35 is brutal. If you take away the PP points he was on the ice for 75 goals against. That was essentially half of the regular strength goals against. This also doesn't count the + that he got for being on the ice when he didn't get a point. It's probably worse. You can't win with that. No matter how many goals he scores.

black N yellow
04-27-2014, 09:54 PM
17 years as the gm for one team? Sounds like some familiar suffering.

SkateZilla
05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
yeah, cuz tanking an entire season guarantee's you a #1 pick..... umm.... not... Only if buffalo finishes last and wash second to last will they get the pick...

SkateZilla
05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
51 goals and -35 is brutal. If you take away the PP points he was on the ice for 75 goals against. That was essentially half of the regular strength goals against. This also doesn't count the + that he got for being on the ice when he didn't get a point. It's probably worse. You can't win with that. No matter how many goals he scores.

you have to take away his SH Point too :p

JATMtheJATM
05-01-2014, 01:31 PM

this is inaccurate. it doesnt account for goals for that he wasnt a part of.

SkateZilla
05-01-2014, 01:46 PM
you get a + for being on the ice when you score, you get a - for being on the ice when scored on, Even Strength or shorthanded.

I don't see how that's not accurate. When He's on Ice the other team scores more than he scores..... Simple.

JATMtheJATM
05-01-2014, 01:57 PM
you get a + for being on the ice when you score, you get a - for being on the ice when scored on, Even Strength or shorthanded.

I don't see how that's not accurate. When He's on Ice the other team scores more than he scores..... Simple.

no, my point was people are using his point totals. he was on the ice and got a + for goals that were scored for the caps that he didnt get a point for is my point.