PDA

View Full Version : Bills considering a contract extension for CJ Spiller after the draft.

YardRat
04-26-2014, 09:41 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/04/26/bills-considering-contract-extension-cj-spiller-draft/

The Buffalo Bills have a pair of players they’re looking at getting some contract extensions done for, one of those is running back C.J. Spiller.

“We’re going to focus on the draft right now and then after the draft we’ll start looking at issues such as Marcell (Dareus) and C.J.,” Bills general manager Dough Whaley said, via the team’s website. (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Full-transcript-Bills-pre-draft-press-conference/6999db23-b2ee-463b-b59b-5c75535568a9) “We’ll start doing a pecking order of what we want to do. The ownership has no bearing on us trying <nobr>to win (http://fansided.com/2014/04/26/bills-considering-contract-extension-cj-spiller-draft/#)</nobr> football games.”
Whaley said earlier that surrounding quarterback EJ Manuel with weapons is key to his success, and Spiller definitely falls in that category.

better days
04-26-2014, 09:47 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/04/26/bills-considering-contract-extension-cj-spiller-draft/

The Buffalo Bills have a pair of players they’re looking at getting some contract extensions done for, one of those is running back C.J. Spiller.

“We’re going to focus on the draft right now and then after the draft we’ll start looking at issues such as Marcell (Dareus) and C.J.,” Bills general manager Dough Whaley said, via the team’s website. (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Full-transcript-Bills-pre-draft-press-conference/6999db23-b2ee-463b-b59b-5c75535568a9) “We’ll start doing a pecking order of what we want to do. The ownership has no bearing on us trying <nobr>to win (http://fansided.com/2014/04/26/bills-considering-contract-extension-cj-spiller-draft/#)</nobr> football games.”
Whaley said earlier that surrounding quarterback EJ Manuel with weapons is key to his success, and Spiller definitely falls in that category.

Git er done Doug.

TacklingDummy
04-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Whaley said earlier that surrounding quarterback EJ Manuel with weapons is key to his success
Wrong, EJ Manuel is the key to success. That's the problem. The Bills will only go as far as KneeJ takes them.

My crystal ball sees 5-11.

coastal
04-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Does he have to pass a reading test before he can legally execute a contract?

Fletch
04-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Watch 'em pay Spiller what Byrd was asking.

Spiller's a fine complement, but they really need a solid 3-down RB first. If this is going to inhibit them from getting that RB, then it's a bad idea.

Spiller for 5 years at $20M is fine, otherwise I'd let him walk.

Fletch
04-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Wrong, EJ Manuel is the key to success. That's the problem. The Bills will only go as far as KneeJ takes them.

We're looking longer term here. I agree for the most part. Again, if they pay Spiller huge bucks, and I'm guessing that they will since that's their MO and since they focus on marketing instead of on-field performance as a team overall, and it infringes on their ability to land a top-notch QB, then it's a bad move.

Spiller's a role player.

TacklingDummy
04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
We're looking longer term here. I agree for the most part. Again, if they pay Spiller huge bucks, and I'm guessing that they will since that's their MO and since they focus on marketing instead of on-field performance as a team overall, and it infringes on their ability to land a top-notch QB, then it's a bad move.

Spiller's a role player.

Long term...the Bills haven't had a decent QB in 14 years...that's long term enough.

They have had Running Backs, they have had Receivers, they have had linemen, what they haven't had is a Quarterback.

Fletch
04-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Long term...the Bills haven't had a decent QB in 14 years...that's long term enough.

They have had Running Backs, they have had Receivers, they have had linemen, what they haven't had is a Quarterback.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that they'd sign Spiller to play RB. I didn't realize that they were looking to extend him to play QB.

Sounds par for the course here in Buffalo.

Fletch
04-27-2014, 01:42 PM

By the way, presumably you sensed that I was being facetious, but that's my point entirely, if they were to re-sign him, the reason for the signing would be longer term since we're not going anywhere with, as say, KneeJ.

I don't think that we need him for the long-term, we need a true 3-down RB anyway and I'd love to see us grab Jeremy Hill from LSU to fill that spot. Spiller can't do it, he's a semi-luxury, particularly for a team with so many other needs.

I might offer him an extension, but I certainly wouldn't offer him a lot and I would expect a hometown discount for him. Many will disagree.

I'd also like to see us draft a QB in round 2 this year, but I don't think that that will happen either.

Mr. Pink
04-27-2014, 02:05 PM
The type of player Spiller is is the type of player who bounces around the league. Only the Buffalo Bills would consider extending such a player. Sproles bounces around the league, Woodhead bounces around the league, Bush bounces around the league, Metcalf bounced around the league.

Instead of extending guys we should, Byrd, we're too busy extending interchangeable parts and outside of the fact there hasn't been a QB worth a dam since Bledsoe around here is there any wonder why this team is a perennial bottom feeder?

Fletch
04-27-2014, 02:23 PM
The type of player Spiller is is the type of player who bounces around the league. Only the Buffalo Bills would consider extending such a player. Sproles bounces around the league, Woodhead bounces around the league, Bush bounces around the league, Metcalf bounced around the league.

Instead of extending guys we should, Byrd, we're too busy extending interchangeable parts and outside of the fact there hasn't been a QB worth a dam since Bledsoe around here is there any wonder why this team is a perennial bottom feeder?

I agree completely, but that doesn't mean that Spiller has no utility as the others do. Again, he's a complimentary back, not a 3-down RB.

5 years at $20M sounds about right. Personally I'd low ball him and drive on if he doesn't want to stay. I think we'll see the opposite though with the team treating him as more than he is and not what you just said he is, accurately I might add. That's the way that they do business and it would be another carrot-dangling move to those that want to have "hope" every season instead of a fundamentally solid team.

ServoBillieves
04-27-2014, 02:25 PM
If he doesn't take an incentive filled contact, I'm not for it.

Fletch
04-27-2014, 02:34 PM
If he doesn't take an incentive filled contact, I'm not for it.

Even better.

My first thought is to just let him walk, but I think that if you have a great 3-down RB, a good QB, decent WRs, he's an asset. I was never big on him when we drafted him and thought that we reached.

Fletch
04-27-2014, 02:35 PM
and by the way, when I say 5 years/$20M, my thought is that that last year is usually higher, like $6 or $7M, making it a shorter contract for around $3.5M/year. Decent players don't come for much less.

The Zone Ranger
04-28-2014, 01:08 PM
The Running back position as a whole this year has drastically been reduced in monetary value. CJ had better understand this before making any ubsured demands.

D'Angelo Vickers
04-28-2014, 02:28 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of EJ. But why do you anticipate regression from last year to this from our QBs?

D'Angelo Vickers
04-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Guys, how does talking about a possible extension for Spiller lead to a **** on the Bills thread and quarterbacks?

Let me be clear: I am not a fan of EJ and never was. However, since the end of the 2012 season, when all hope was lost with Gailey and Fitz, this new staff took over, someone please tell me what would've been better?

They drafted who they felt was the best QB in the draft. Whether or not he pans out really has nothing to do with the possibility of extending Spiller.

Furthermore, I doubt very much the Bills will give a big contract to Spiller, after seeing what Chris Johnson, Moreno, MJD etc have recently signed for. Both parties know that there is no big money market for running backs.