X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Bills agree to $3 million settlement in fan’s text-message lawsuit

The Buffalo Bills have agreed to pay up to $3 million – largely in the form of debit cards redeemable only at the team store – to settle a class-action lawsuit that accused the team of sending too many alerts to fans who signed up for a text-messaging service.

Jerry Wojcik, a Bills fan and area native now living in Florida, contended in his October 2012 suit that the team violated the terms of its text service by sending him 13 messages over two weeks when it promised to send no more than five per week.

The lawsuit was panned as frivolous by some sports fans, media commentators and legal experts.

But in a settlement filed last week in federal court in Tampa, Fla., the Bills agreed to provide up to $2.5 million in debit cards to people who had signed up for the text service, along with $562,500 to Wojcik’s lawyers and $5,000 in cash to Wojcik as class representative.

The estimated value of the debit cards that will be issued to class members who received more than five alerts in a given week is $2,487,745. The cards can be used at the Bills store at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park or online at the team’s website. They can’t be redeemed for cash.

...more...

Suffice it to say that I think that this guy's Bills fan membership card should be turned in, and he should be brought out back and severely spanked.

All this because this douche-bag got 3 too many text messages?
    Last edited by feldspar; 04-27-2014, 03:39 PM.
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Re: Bills agree to $3 million settlement in fan’s text-message lawsuit

Fuddy Duddy got too many text messages and wins millions in lawsuit.

Only in America!

Comment

• feldspar
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post

Only in America!
      Yep.

And the real winners here are the lawyers, and I use the term "winners" here loosely.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

****ing loser...
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Another bullshLt lawsuit that a Judge should have tossed out.

I should be able to sue every one who sends me Spam emails.

Or anyone who calls me asking me to donate to this or that.

Comment

• kishoph
            • Jun 2003

On the news they estimated that only around 500 of the debit cards would be used by those that do get them, I know there's no way I would use it. I don't know how they are suppose to contact these people, but I was signed up in 2012 and if I got one I would like it, just to add to my memorabilia.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post

Only in America!
              He won $5,000.00.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Novacane
                • Jul 2002

More proof that people suck!

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  He won $5,000.00.
                  Yeah, but who knows if his lawyers slipped him a little under the table? Those lawyers are the real criminals here. They got $562,500 for pleading 3 excessive text messages. Oh, the humanity!

How do you justify that in any way, I ask anybody.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    Yeah, but who knows if his lawyers slipped him a little under the table? Those lawyers are the real criminals here. They got $562,500 for pleading 3 excessive text messages. Oh, the humanity!

How do you justify that in any way, I ask anybody.
                    Actually it was a class-action lawsuit that had a total of 119,250 excessive text messages.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• feldspar
                      • Mar 2007

Actually it was a class-action lawsuit that had a total of 119,250 excessive text messages.
                      Yeah, like 3 a-piece (per person) though? That right? This devastating travesty happened to a lot of people? They actually got 3 more text messages over a two-week period of time than they bargained for? What a hardship.

Are you actually defending this guy? Nobody else is responsible for this "class-action lawsuit" but him, and if you don't see it as complete bull****, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Comment

• DBrown77
                        Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                        • Mar 2005

only lawyers win in class action lawsuits.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                          Yeah, like 3 a-piece (per person) though? That right? This devastating travesty happened to a lot of people? They actually got 3 more text messages over a two-week period of time than they bargained for? What a hardship.

Are you actually defending this guy? Nobody else is responsible for this "class-action lawsuit" but him, and if you don't see it as complete bull****, then I don't know what to tell ya.
                          I haven't read the suit, but I'm assuming so yes.

Some people have to pay per message, so why don't you get off the high horse for just a moment.

No, I'm simply pointing out the actual facts of the scenario, I don't care about the guy who started this, the lawsuit, or the settlement.

What I find entertaining is a bunch of fans flying off the handle because a guy got paid a small sum of money that in the end does not at all effect the team or the on the field product.
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• feldspar
                            • Mar 2007

Some people have to pay per message, so why don't you get off the high horse for just a moment.

No, I'm simply pointing out the actual facts of the scenario, I don't care about the guy who started this, the lawsuit, or the settlement.

What I find entertaining is a bunch of fans flying off the handle because a guy got paid a small sum of money that in the end does not at all effect the team or the on the field product.
                            What high-horse?

We are talking about pennies....pennies. Definitely less than a buck.

Then the guy goes out and hires lawyers that cost $562,500 over it, and goes through a process that takes a year or two.

You are going to sit there and even SUGGEST that this may not have been excessive?

Comment

• Novacane
                              • Jul 2002

Saying the guy is an idiot is flying off the handle?

Comment

Working...
                              X