X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Why Trading Next Year's Number 1 Isn't A Bad Idea

Put yourself in Doug Whaley's shoes confident in EJ Manuel, his starting running backs, wide receivers, tight ends, his entire defense, and the majority of his offensive line.

If the Bills trade their 1st round pick in 2015 and make the playoffs this year, they're only giving up the 20th-32nd pick of the 2015 NFL draft.

The Bills want to trade up...for who?

I think the Bills are one dominant defensive player and a 2nd round tackle away from the playoffs and more.
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Why Trading Next Year's Number 1 Isn't A Bad Idea

Well, the thing is there is NOBODY worth trading up for.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

I think Mack is worth trading up for. Same with Watkins. Same with Robinson.

Which player would most help the Bills?

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
        I think Mack is worth trading up for. Same with Watkins. Same with Robinson.

Which player would most help the Bills?
        I would be happy with any of them, but not at the expense of two first rnd picks & more.

Especially in a deep draft like this.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
          • Aug 2013

I'm getting the feeling they are going to make a splash and trade up for Watkins. I'm not sure I like the idea, but it sure would be exciting.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
            I'm getting the feeling they are going to make a splash and trade up for Watkins. I'm not sure I like the idea, but it sure would be exciting.
            It would be exciting & I would be as excited as anyone.............until next years draft.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
              Watkins would be a bust in Buffalo with their QB mess.

Comment

• jamze132
                • Jun 2003

Not trading next years top 10 pick...

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  I would be happy with any of them, but not at the expense of two first rnd picks & more.

Especially in a deep draft like this.
                  My issue with this statement is what does "deep" mean to you? More draftable prospects than in normal drafts? More potential day one starters? Neither are the same as more blue-chip prospects. And to me, this draft is about average as far as top tier or elite guys goes. So, if you feel you need another elite player instead of a bunch of starters or depth, maybe this draft is just as good as any draft to move up in.

But all of that depends on what you want to get out of the draft. If the Bills want several day one starters they may not be able to move up and accomplish that. If they want an elite prospect and one or maybe two day one starters they probably could do that still with a move up.

Put it this way. Is it impossible to get a starting RT and G and maybe even a TE from rounds 2, 3, and/or 4? Assuming we can move for a 1st and 2nd plus next years first?
                  Last edited by X-Era; 04-30-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Novacane
                    • Jul 2002

It's a bad idea because their QB is a big question mark. If we were set at QB I would say go for it. Teams that are close make moves like this.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

it's a huge gamble. this is a team that finished 4th in its division. it was 2 games behind a .500 record.

That is a gigantic gamble to assume the reason we didn't get 4-6 more wins needed to be considered between good and dominant were because of one missing spot.

if you are a 10-11 win team with an playoff appearance, then you can maybe agree that you are in your window and to take a shot to get significantly better.

i wouldn't take this gamble. if the draft is as deep as they say, we should be using all our picks.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                        Too sober for this...
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
                        It's a bad idea because their QB is a big question mark. If we were set at QB I would say go for it. Teams that are close make moves like this.
                        Although I am a fan of giving EJ time to see if he is the QB we need him to be (instead of right away giving up like some have), I have to agree with this. There is still a question mark on him and we can't sacrifice our next years 1st rd without knowing for sure where we stand on the QB issue. We could gamble and draft Watkins, Robinson or someone else, but if EJ doesn't pan out, we're forced to try and get a QB in FA and pay through the roof for, likely, a mediocre journeyman. We don't have a defense that can win by themselves and with the change in coaching and scheme, frankly, we have no idea where it's going to be.

I'd consider that poor planning - to do something so risky.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto View Post
                          Although I am a fan of giving EJ time to see if he is the QB we need him to be (instead of right away giving up like some have), I have to agree with this. There is still a question mark on him and we can't sacrifice our next years 1st rd without knowing for sure where we stand on the QB issue. We could gamble and draft Watkins, Robinson or someone else, but if EJ doesn't pan out, we're forced to try and get a QB in FA and pay through the roof for, likely, a mediocre journeyman. We don't have a defense that can win by themselves and with the change in coaching and scheme, frankly, we have no idea where it's going to be.

I'd consider that poor planning - to do something so risky.
                          BUF is in a tough spot. In no particular order:

Some crumbs played with Nix, and published his thoughts about the future of Fitzpatrick.

They drafted Manual in a year when the prospects were considered so-so.

They axed Tavares Jackson, evidently deciding he couldn't serve.

Bought Kolb and the predicted - happened.

They cooked up a no-huddle, hurry up game plan. That's no way for a rookie to begin to learn the NFL ropes.

Then Manual got injured and missed 6 games.

So here we are, talking about a qb pick and selling and buying draft picks....
                          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                            My issue with this statement is what does "deep" mean to you? More draftable prospects than in normal drafts? More potential day one starters? Neither are the same as more blue-chip prospects. And to me, this draft is about average as far as top tier or elite guys goes. So, if you feel you need another elite player instead of a bunch of starters or depth, maybe this draft is just as good as any draft to move up in.

But all of that depends on what you want to get out of the draft. If the Bills want several day one starters they may not be able to move up and accomplish that. If they want an elite prospect and one or maybe two day one starters they probably could do that still with a move up.

Put it this way. Is it impossible to get a starting RT and G and maybe even a TE from rounds 2, 3, and/or 4? Assuming we can move for a 1st and 2nd plus next years first?
                            I have read there are players that will be drafted in the 3rd & 4th rnd this year that would have been drafted in the first or 2nd past years.

That is because of all the underclassmen that came out this year.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                              • Sep 2004

It's going to be a bad idea if Manuel doesn't pan out and we need to draft a QB next year and have no 1st rounder.

Comment

Working...
                              X