PDA

View Full Version : The Logic Part of Me Says Tradiing Up Talk is part of "Using Media"

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2014, 03:48 PM
To me, the tell-tale sign is going for Clowney which we know is a piple dream, something a small market team should never do.

Trading up for Watkins? It makes sense if he drops very close to where the Bills pick. Again, I want to point out that he does not have the prototypical size the Bills are looking for and no one has compared him to Jerry Rice yet. Heck he may not even compare favorably to Green/Jones when those came out. It would hard for me to imagine Whaley says if I'm going be wrong, I' d willing to bet on a 6' WR ...

Besides, the Bills just traded for Williams, granted more suited for #2 than a #1.

So on a team that does not have a gaping hole like the Bills who were in the past always had, why all of sudden the talk about trading up - paying big price along the way of course - as if there is a super talent up there that would fill a big hole in the lineup perfectly?

The only reason I can see is deception. They are targeting someone who they feel they would like to do something to help pushing him down to them. My money is still on a tackle, since they did vertually nothing to that front on FA and it is a need to help EJ as well as position themselves in the future (Pears is in his last year of contract and not sure anyone they draft beyond the big 3 can replace him THIS year from the get-go). Evans can be another option, even though he's not generally considered the elite 7 or 8 top players in this draft. He might be what the Bills have been talking about size wise all along in the past, but relatively quiet recently. Look at Nix-Whaley draft history: they tend not to discuss their target too much pre-draft.

Tackles are not sexy as Ebron or Evans. On this current team, I'd argue he may help just as much given the way they like to run the ball. The last thing you need is another situation like the LG last year: they bet on some low profile guys to come in to do average/slightly below average job; it wound up being a headache all season long. Right now based on the projection (age, injury, performance trends) of our RT and the guys behind him, it could easily develop into a similar situation...

BuffaloRedleg
04-30-2014, 04:01 PM
I just don't know what the talk gets us. If anything, the guys below us might be using the threat of a trade to run smoke and mirrors to generate more interest and drive up the cost of trading up. That I can see.

But what does saying we'll trade up for Watkins get us? I don't that in any way increases the likelihood we get any players in the top 10.

The more likely scenario is that the news media is absolutely starved for information right now and they are blowing every little tidbit out of proportion. "The Bills are high on Watkins" becomes "Bills might be interested in trading up for Watkins" and there now you have a news story to get clicks on your site.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
It certainly raises Watkins value in everybody's eye.

We have been fed by media that he's sure thing top 5. Who knows what he really is on Bills draft board.

Ed
04-30-2014, 04:20 PM
If the media is being leaked info that the Bills are interested in trading up, it's probably not coming from the Bills, but other teams that they're contacting.

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2014, 04:22 PM
I just don't know what the talk gets us. If anything, the guys below us might be using the threat of a trade to run smoke and mirrors to generate more interest and drive up the cost of trading up. That I can see.

But what does saying we'll trade up for Watkins get us? I don't that in any way increases the likelihood we get any players in the top 10.

The more likely scenario is that the news media is absolutely starved for information right now and they are blowing every little tidbit out of proportion. "The Bills are high on Watkins" becomes "Bills might be interested in trading up for Watkins" and there now you have a news story to get clicks on your site.

The bolded part is spot on. Half the time you see a "Team X is interested in trading up for player Y" headline, you read the article and it says "Team X thinks player Y is a good player"....no kidding, who isnt high on Sammy Watkins, or Clowney?

Goobylal
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM
When it comes to the draft, and especially the Bills, I don't believe a word I hear or read. I'll just wait to see what happens on draft day.

swiper
04-30-2014, 04:52 PM
I hate that the draft is so late.

Goobylal
04-30-2014, 04:57 PM
I hate that the draft is so late.
And talk is of making it 4 days. Ugh.

feldspar
04-30-2014, 05:41 PM
I find it hard to believe that the Bills are going to trade up (especially to #1), and I'm not taking that talk seriously at all right now.

It's in my head now, though. So if it does actually happen, I'd be in shock instead of just having a heart attack.

EDS
04-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Let's not over think this. For sure there is no NFL franchise that is worried about being outsmarted by the Bills.

Goobylal
04-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Let's not over think this. For sure there is no NFL franchise that is worried about being outsmarted by the Bills.
Good. That's how they got Cordy.