PDA

View Full Version : EJ Manuel stock to be sold

vanbillsfan
04-30-2014, 05:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10863426/ej-manuel-buffalo-bills-stock-sold-brokerage-firm

feldspar
04-30-2014, 06:01 PM
"Crazy" is the only word I can think of, and that pretty much sums it up for me.

Scumbag College
04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
Is this legal? Does EJ have MC Hammer's financial adviser?

Skooby
04-30-2014, 07:13 PM
After 3 injuries, I'd keep away from that stock.

BillsImpossible
04-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Buy low, sell high.

Don't Panic
04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Pretty creative way to make money. Not exactly thrilled to see EJ taking this path though. Take care of the field and you'll be all set there bud.

Novacane
04-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Can you short his stock?

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
After 3 injuries, I'd keep away from that stock.

Not saying I think he will, but if he stays healthy all of next year will you shut up about his injury history?

Skooby
04-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Not saying I think he will, but if he stays healthy all of next year will you shut up about his injury history?

Yes, no debates from me.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Worthless stock.

Mace
04-30-2014, 09:04 PM
He and Vernon Davis, beginning of a trend. Pays off in bitcoins, beginning of a trend.

This doesn't really make me feel good about his sports ethos intangible.

In terms of investment potential, having read about Vernon Davis doing it, I don't see how anyone would even dork around with considering it. They're banking, literally on novelty fan IPO sales.

I have no doubt Manziel will be next up unless he wants more that the 1,000 dollars they paid Manuel for the rights or the 5,000 they paid Davis to come up with the idea. And no, those numbers aren't facts, but Davis and Manuel should be ashamed of themselves for selling rights to their names in such a goofy way and I can't see how anyone paid them more from what the IPO's will make. They sold $5 million in Davis stock, Manuel ? Meh.

Those are workout bonuses. They can shill signed Honda hats at car shows for that except no one mentioned it to them yet.

coastal
04-30-2014, 09:28 PM
Wow. Just wow.

DraftBoy
05-01-2014, 06:26 AM
I honestly don't get this at all...

Players already complain about fans thinking they "own" them due to Fantasy Football, now players are literally selling shares in themselves? No that won't entitle a fan even more.

WagonCircler
05-01-2014, 06:29 AM
Where is Jordan Belfort? This is exactly the kind of stock he dealt in.

Night Train
05-01-2014, 06:51 AM
I'll invest in a Doctor or someone that helps others live better lives.

Athletes ? Never..

gebobs
05-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Can you short his stock?

That would be the only way to make money. Opening at $10, if you short 10k shares, you could have a new Bimmer convertible by the end of the day.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll invest in a Doctor or someone that helps others live better lives.
EJ should invest likewise. Hell, he should have one on retainer full time.

gebobs
05-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Technically, fans don't buy shares of the athletes. They're buying shares of Fantex Inc., so as the company collects more money, the stock should rise. The stock trades on Fantex's website's platform, as opposed to standard exchanges like the NYSE and NASDAQ.
LOL...may as well flush your money down the toilet.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Pretty creative way to make money. Not exactly thrilled to see EJ taking this path though. Take care of the field and you'll be all set there bud.

Why would anyone care at all that he is involved in this. It doesn't matter at all.

Don't Panic
05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Why would anyone care at all that he is involved in this. It doesn't matter at all.

I think it matters. The ways we choose to compromise ourselves definitely matter.

DesertFox24
05-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Although EJ is not the first or only athlete to do this.

I would not do it at all.

This is a stupid scheme for people looking to make money since the financial market has become a much more volitile market and harder to project short and long term gains.

EDS
05-01-2014, 08:54 AM

I think evidence of the judgment and character of our "franchise" QB matters.

Bill Cody
05-01-2014, 11:20 AM
just in case the sledge hammer we get beat with telling us the NFL is a business missed you for some reason, here's another swing at it

Turf
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
After reading this, I think this will become a normal trend among athletes, and probably entertainers.

Forward_Lateral
05-03-2014, 09:40 AM
You guys realize that unless he buys stock in himself, EJ gains nothing from this, except the 5 million he was paid up front. He's losing 10% off his earnings for the rest of his life, if I read the article properly. That's going to be a lot more than 5 million dollars.

Unless I missed something in the article, or read it wrong.

feldspar
05-03-2014, 10:02 AM
You guys realize that unless he buys stock in himself, EJ gains nothing from this, except the 5 million he was paid up front. He's losing 10% off his earnings for the rest of his life, if I read the article properly. That's going to be a lot more than 5 million dollars.

Unless I missed something in the article, or read it wrong.

What makes you so sure that EJ will make more than $50 million during his lifetime? $50 million would be the break-even point, I think. That would be a hell of an assumption at this point in time. He's current set to make a small fraction of that over the next few years, in football salary anyway. I honestly have no idea what kind of endorsements he's got going on.

This is one hell of an insurance policy for EJ Manuel...that's kind of how I see it. If he was to ever make considerable more than $50 million, then he probably shouldn't complain about giving some of that up.

The Jokeman
05-03-2014, 10:24 AM
What makes you so sure that EJ will make more than $50 million during his lifetime? $50 million would be the break-even point, I think. That would be a hell of an assumption at this point in time. He's current set to make a small fraction of that over the next few years, in football salary anyway. I honestly have no idea what kind of endorsements he's got going on.

This is one hell of an insurance policy for EJ Manuel...that's kind of how I see it. If he was to ever make considerable more than $50 million, then he probably shouldn't complain about giving some of that up.

From the website of the company https://fantex.com/fantex-ej-manuel-461919/prospectus

Other Contracts

EJ Manuel has ongoing endorsement contracts or license agreements with The Upper Deck Company, Inc., Panini America, Inc., Panini Authentic, Inc., NIKE USA, Inc., The Topps Company, Inc., Northtown Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram. These endorsement contracts generally have terms that end in 2016, with one contract extending to 2017, and require EJ Manuel to exclusively endorse certain categories of products, make certain appearances, participate in the production of promotional materials and social media activities and sign autographs. EJ Manuel is entitled to total compensation under these agreements of up to approximately $464,700, and an additional amount of up to $542,550, contingent on performing additional specific services, including autographing cards or stickers or achieving certain performance based milestones including $75,000 per year through 2017 for any year in which EJ Manuel is named the NFL MVP.

Here's an interesting article: http://www.celebritynetworth.com/list/top-50-nfl/ and you'll notice half of these guys aren't worth a net $50 million now and of course some of these guys might have some of their money outside of the NFL. As imagine quite a few of them invest in real estate or record companies etc. which all would not be counted toward his stock. I think it wasn't as foolish for EJ as initially thought but then again one has to think if he has a long NFL career it could be especially with contracts getting bigger and bigger by year and with him at the highest paid position in the sport. Yet the only thing that hold me back as a consumer to buy his stock is wondering if this company will actually stay in business to make money because ultimately that's what we're investing in not the athlete and honestly I don't think they will be.