• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

"If our guy is there"

Very interesting insight from Whaley on the Murph show.

Describes the process of trading up or down, phone calls, when they intensify, and how it goes.

"if our guy is there" is what he said the Bills would tell a team about possibly moving. Now, it's nothing more than a hypothetical. But, this statement wouldn't fit for a move down and only would fit for a move after the 1st pick. All guys would be there at 1 obviously. He also said they have to tell the team they're trading with who they want.

Hinted at using pick(s) next year.

I continue to feel strongly that the Bills are serious about moving up and not to the #1 pick. My guess is 2-4 and for Watkins. I think they make serious calls starting at 2 after Clowney goes #1. I do think the Bills are semi-serious about moving to #1 for Watkins not Clowney. I think this because many teams may have Watkins as the #1 guy and may make the move to #1 for him. Yes, I think he's worthy of the #1 pick personally.

Recently, prognosticators are leaning toward the belief that 1 or 2 QB's go top 10 and that all 3 OT's go before pick 7.

If true, Watkins may fall to say 4. And the Browns could move to pick 9 and may still get Manziel (IMO).

Last edited by X-Era; 05-02-2014, 06:05 AM.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: "If our guy is there"

They want Matthews or Robinson...they are spooking guys behind them to jump up and snag a skill player ahead of them, hoping to push down one of the two OT's to 9.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• trapezeus
      Legendary Zoner
      • Oct 2004

if the bills go with 10 wins this year and seem like a playmaker away from being a real threat, then i would be on board with trading up. i think the bills can get a player that is significantly better than what we have at 9 at a couple different positions.

To me it's a no brainer to stand pat and give yourself a chance the followingyear. i don't like the idea of trading up...i like that watkins is a bills fan, but without the beast like size, i worry about trading up to get him. if he fell to us, great.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
        Very interesting insight from Whaley on the Murph show.

Describes the process of trading up or down, phone calls, when they intensify, and how it goes.

"if our guy is there" is what he said the Bills would tell a team about possibly moving. Now, it's nothing more than a hypothetical. But, this statement wouldn't fit for a move down and only would fit for a move after the 1st pick. All guys would be there at 1 obviously. He also said they have to tell the team they're trading with who they want.

Hinted at using pick(s) next year.

I continue to feel strongly that the Bills are serious about moving up and not to the #1 pick. My guess is 2-4 and for Watkins. I think they make serious calls starting at 2 after Clowney goes #1. I do think the Bills are semi-serious about moving to #1 for Watkins not Clowney. I think this because many teams may have Watkins as the #1 guy and may make the move to #1 for him. Yes, I think he's worthy of the #1 pick personally.

Recently, prognosticators are leaning toward the belief that 1 or 2 QB's go top 10 and that all 3 OT's go before pick 7.

If true, Watkins may fall to say 4. And the Browns could move to pick 9 and may still get Manziel (IMO).

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/au...3-21fd176d065f
        Well, even if you think Watkins is worth the #1 pick, do you think he is worth the cost of moving up to that #1 pick?

With the QB situation unsettled, I don't want to give up next years #1 pick myself.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          They want Matthews or Robinson...they are spooking guys behind them to jump up and snag a skill player ahead of them, hoping to push down one of the two OT's to 9.
          I agree this is all posturing. They could be after an OT or Mike Evans IMO but yes they're hoping someone will get nervous and jump up and push our guy down.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
            Pinkerton's son
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            if the bills go with 10 wins this year and seem like a playmaker away from being a real threat, then i would be on board with trading up. i think the bills can get a player that is significantly better than what we have at 9 at a couple different positions.

To me it's a no brainer to stand pat and give yourself a chance the followingyear. i don't like the idea of trading up...i like that watkins is a bills fan, but without the beast like size, i worry about trading up to get him. if he fell to us, great.
            totally agree - I feel like no matter what happens ahead of us we're going to get an instant starter at #9, and I dont think ANYONE is worth moving up to get, unless its a spot or 2 to ensure we get the guy that will help us the most (Im hoping Matthews or Robinson).

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
              I agree this is all posturing.
              Is it though? The Bills have given hints for several years about their strategy and it was pretty accurate

Comment

• X-Era
                • Feb 2005

The Rams at 2.

Move up to the 2 spot. Surrender our 1st and 2nd this year plus a 2nd next year. I'd be alright with that.

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                  Is it though? The Bills have given hints for several years about their strategy and it was pretty accurate
                  It could be. I mean there is much debate on where the QB's will go and whether all 3 OT's go before 9.

The Bills may want to push teams to push players down to them.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                    I'm surprised they didn't purchase billboard space.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post

The Bills may want to push teams to push players down to them.
                      There's nothing I've seen in the last decade and a half that would make me think they are capable of being that sharp.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• X-Era
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                        There's nothing I've seen in the last decade and a half that would make me think they are capable of being that sharp.
                        Tavon Austin?

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                          • Aug 2013

If we sacrifice a shot at a drafting a RT in the first 2 rounds to get Watkins then this is just another Bills splash move without substance.

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

I heard that and didn't think Whaley was saying much of anything outside of pre-draft cliche's.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                              If we sacrifice a shot at a drafting a RT in the first 2 rounds to get Watkins then this is just another Bills splash move without substance.
                              With the Jaguars announcing they don't plan on seeing Justin Blackmon back anytime soon I have a feeling they're locking in on Watkins and can't see the Bills giving up what it take to move into the top 2 to get him.

Comment

Working...
                              X