PDA

View Full Version : "If our guy is there"

X-Era
05-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Very interesting insight from Whaley on the Murph show.

Describes the process of trading up or down, phone calls, when they intensify, and how it goes.

"if our guy is there" is what he said the Bills would tell a team about possibly moving. Now, it's nothing more than a hypothetical. But, this statement wouldn't fit for a move down and only would fit for a move after the 1st pick. All guys would be there at 1 obviously. He also said they have to tell the team they're trading with who they want.

Hinted at using pick(s) next year.

I continue to feel strongly that the Bills are serious about moving up and not to the #1 pick. My guess is 2-4 and for Watkins. I think they make serious calls starting at 2 after Clowney goes #1. I do think the Bills are semi-serious about moving to #1 for Watkins not Clowney. I think this because many teams may have Watkins as the #1 guy and may make the move to #1 for him. Yes, I think he's worthy of the #1 pick personally.

Recently, prognosticators are leaning toward the belief that 1 or 2 QB's go top 10 and that all 3 OT's go before pick 7.

If true, Watkins may fall to say 4. And the Browns could move to pick 9 and may still get Manziel (IMO).

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Doug-Whaley--Dont-show-your-hand/d82a4943-da8f-4211-a183-21fd176d065f

YardRat
05-02-2014, 06:09 AM
They want Matthews or Robinson...they are spooking guys behind them to jump up and snag a skill player ahead of them, hoping to push down one of the two OT's to 9.

trapezeus
05-02-2014, 07:05 AM
if the bills go with 10 wins this year and seem like a playmaker away from being a real threat, then i would be on board with trading up. i think the bills can get a player that is significantly better than what we have at 9 at a couple different positions.

To me it's a no brainer to stand pat and give yourself a chance the followingyear. i don't like the idea of trading up...i like that watkins is a bills fan, but without the beast like size, i worry about trading up to get him. if he fell to us, great.

better days
05-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Very interesting insight from Whaley on the Murph show.

Describes the process of trading up or down, phone calls, when they intensify, and how it goes.

"if our guy is there" is what he said the Bills would tell a team about possibly moving. Now, it's nothing more than a hypothetical. But, this statement wouldn't fit for a move down and only would fit for a move after the 1st pick. All guys would be there at 1 obviously. He also said they have to tell the team they're trading with who they want.

Hinted at using pick(s) next year.

I continue to feel strongly that the Bills are serious about moving up and not to the #1 pick. My guess is 2-4 and for Watkins. I think they make serious calls starting at 2 after Clowney goes #1. I do think the Bills are semi-serious about moving to #1 for Watkins not Clowney. I think this because many teams may have Watkins as the #1 guy and may make the move to #1 for him. Yes, I think he's worthy of the #1 pick personally.

Recently, prognosticators are leaning toward the belief that 1 or 2 QB's go top 10 and that all 3 OT's go before pick 7.

If true, Watkins may fall to say 4. And the Browns could move to pick 9 and may still get Manziel (IMO).

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Doug-Whaley--Dont-show-your-hand/d82a4943-da8f-4211-a183-21fd176d065f

Well, even if you think Watkins is worth the #1 pick, do you think he is worth the cost of moving up to that #1 pick?

With the QB situation unsettled, I don't want to give up next years #1 pick myself.

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2014, 07:25 AM
They want Matthews or Robinson...they are spooking guys behind them to jump up and snag a skill player ahead of them, hoping to push down one of the two OT's to 9.
I agree this is all posturing. They could be after an OT or Mike Evans IMO but yes they're hoping someone will get nervous and jump up and push our guy down.

Pinkerton Security
05-02-2014, 07:26 AM
if the bills go with 10 wins this year and seem like a playmaker away from being a real threat, then i would be on board with trading up. i think the bills can get a player that is significantly better than what we have at 9 at a couple different positions.

To me it's a no brainer to stand pat and give yourself a chance the followingyear. i don't like the idea of trading up...i like that watkins is a bills fan, but without the beast like size, i worry about trading up to get him. if he fell to us, great.

totally agree - I feel like no matter what happens ahead of us we're going to get an instant starter at #9, and I dont think ANYONE is worth moving up to get, unless its a spot or 2 to ensure we get the guy that will help us the most (Im hoping Matthews or Robinson).

Bill Cody
05-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I agree this is all posturing.

Is it though? The Bills have given hints for several years about their strategy and it was pretty accurate

X-Era
05-02-2014, 02:59 PM
The Rams at 2.

Move up to the 2 spot. Surrender our 1st and 2nd this year plus a 2nd next year. I'd be alright with that.

X-Era
05-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Is it though? The Bills have given hints for several years about their strategy and it was pretty accurate
It could be. I mean there is much debate on where the QB's will go and whether all 3 OT's go before 9.

The Bills may want to push teams to push players down to them.

stuckincincy
05-02-2014, 03:02 PM

I'm surprised they didn't purchase billboard space.

stuckincincy
05-02-2014, 03:04 PM
The Bills may want to push teams to push players down to them.

There's nothing I've seen in the last decade and a half that would make me think they are capable of being that sharp.

X-Era
05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
There's nothing I've seen in the last decade and a half that would make me think they are capable of being that sharp.Tavon Austin?

BuffaloRedleg
05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
If we sacrifice a shot at a drafting a RT in the first 2 rounds to get Watkins then this is just another Bills splash move without substance.

Night Train
05-02-2014, 04:02 PM
I heard that and didn't think Whaley was saying much of anything outside of pre-draft cliche's.

The Jokeman
05-02-2014, 10:31 PM
If we sacrifice a shot at a drafting a RT in the first 2 rounds to get Watkins then this is just another Bills splash move without substance.

With the Jaguars announcing they don't plan on seeing Justin Blackmon back anytime soon I have a feeling they're locking in on Watkins and can't see the Bills giving up what it take to move into the top 2 to get him.

clumping platelets
05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Stay at #9 and Lewan or Ebron will be there

BuffaloRedleg
05-02-2014, 10:45 PM
With the Jaguars announcing they don't plan on seeing Justin Blackmon back anytime soon I have a feeling they're locking in on Watkins and can't see the Bills giving up what it take to move into the top 2 to get him.

The Jaguars are absolutely insane if they don't take a QB. It is amazing to me how many teams neglect the QB position in this league, and are suprised at how poorly they perform.

People around here straw man the **** outta every single person who brings this up "Well duhh who would you take then smarty pants" but they are completely missing the point. The only way to almost guaruntee you never get a franchise QB is to never draft a QB top 5 when you get the chance.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-02-2014, 10:52 PM
The word is Jonny Football will go very high. I hope that triggers the QB rush

The Jokeman
05-02-2014, 10:55 PM
The Jaguars are absolutely insane if they don't take a QB. It is amazing to me how many teams neglect the QB position in this league, and are suprised at how poorly they perform.

People around here straw man the **** outta every single person who brings this up "Well duhh who would you take then smarty pants" but they are completely missing the point. The only way to almost guaruntee you never get a franchise QB is to never draft a QB top 5 when you get the chance.

I agree the Jags need a QB yet none of the QB prospects to me look like their franchise changing types (ie not worth a top 3 pick on).

clumping platelets
05-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Jags can move up from #39 to get their QB later in rd 1. They have extra 4th and 2 extra 5th's to work with

BuffaloRedleg
05-03-2014, 12:40 AM
I agree the Jags need a QB yet none of the QB prospects to me look like their franchise changing types (ie not worth a top 3 pick on).

That may be the case, but if you don't have a QB nothing else matters. It's not like drafting a QB will put them behind for years, they're already well on their way to that without having a QB.

This is the conundrum of the mondern NFL, you're often damned if you do and damned if you don't. I say take a shot (or ideally trade down and pick the guy you like best later, like the bills)

Mace
05-03-2014, 12:53 AM
I personally think it's all smokescreen.

You don't ever have to tell them who you want, they care about what they get, if it mattered who you wanted, or who you didn't, maximum return on that pick wouldn't change, you can get what you can get, you want who you want or what you can get, and the pick as a person who is involved is significant if you want him or meaningless if you don't.

I'm not a football genius, but fans aren't exactly stupid either, I don't think in this draft you trade up unless you're sweating the fire or mean to place yourself desperately on the burner. Frankly if Whaley manages to blow this draft, no matter how Marrone coaches it, a new owner is not going to be pleased and he's back to not looking at GM spots. We, as fans have been through this before.

I want to think Whaley knows better, I'm not sure he does though.

Oh ho, they make the big bucks to know and how many of us do ? A lot, I've been seeing more common sense on message boards last 10 years than I have front office.

I want to think Whaley is smarter than me, and by the rumors they'll trade up they'll trade down. Or they will take someone sensible and not glamorous.

Grab Watkins and you have another Spiller, an awesome athlete and probably great player you have no clue how to use until you want to get rid of him.

Don't you do it Doug, it will not end well.

The Jokeman
05-03-2014, 11:05 AM
That may be the case, but if you don't have a QB nothing else matters. It's not like drafting a QB will put them behind for years, they're already well on their way to that without having a QB.

This is the conundrum of the mondern NFL, you're often damned if you do and damned if you don't. I say take a shot (or ideally trade down and pick the guy you like best later, like the bills)

The Jags were dead last in sacks last year, they brought in a defensive minded HC who saw his former team win a Super Bowl with defense with a passing offense that ranked 31st in the NFL. To me they should take Clowney or Mack, I only mentioned Watkins earlier because damn they have nothing on offense right now without MJD at least Blackmon was something when he was on the field. Then they can see what QBs are available in Round 2 or maybe use some of their extra picks move up at the end of Round 1. As I can't see them risking on another QB after the Gabbert mess. As eluded to earlier guy like Manziel might charge their fan base and promote the team but to me the safer thing to do is build a strong defense and get an average offense is the better way to build an NFL winner in today's NFL but that's just my feelings.

better days
05-03-2014, 11:46 AM
The Jags were dead last in sacks last year, they brought in a defensive minded HC who saw his former team win a Super Bowl with defense with a passing offense that ranked 31st in the NFL. To me they should take Clowney or Mack, I only mentioned Watkins earlier because damn they have nothing on offense right now without MJD at least Blackmon was something when he was on the field. Then they can see what QBs are available in Round 2 or maybe use some of their extra picks move up at the end of Round 1. As I can't see them risking on another QB after the Gabbert mess. As eluded to earlier guy like Manziel might charge their fan base and promote the team but to me the safer thing to do is build a strong defense and get an average offense is the better way to build an NFL winner in today's NFL but that's just my feelings.

I agree. I see no point at risking a HIGH draft pick on a QUESTIONABLE QB for a team with so many needs.