PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Horse: Odell Beckham Jr , Thoughts on taking him?

Raptor
05-05-2014, 06:28 AM
This guy was a poster on another board but he is pretty good, he had the Spiller and Gilmore picks before anyone else so he does have some good history with the Bills pick

In any case thoughts on if this was the pick? Me personally I would hate it. This to me would be like when the Dolphins picked T.Ginn Jr. The Bills dont need a WR in my opinion but more importantly Beckham is not a top 10 talent. I watched a good amount of LSU games and while he makes plays here and there he disappears for LONG stretches

Mike Watkins
(Twitter: @merk256 )
5/5/2014

1.Houston: J.Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2.St.Louis: G.Robinson, OT, Auburn

3.Jacksonville: K.Mack, LB, Buffalo

4.Cleveland: S.Watkins, WR, Clemson

5.Oakland: M.Evans, WR, Texas A&M

6.Atlanta: T.Lewan, OT, Michigan

7.Tampa Bay: J.Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

8.Minnesota: B.Bortles, QB, UCF

9.Buffalo: O.Beckham Jr., WR, LSU

10.Detroit: E.Ebron, TE, North Carolina

Bills Pick

-From what I've been told the offensive staff is really high on Beckham. They have been all over him for most of the draft season. They went to LSU pro day, interviewed him at the Combine, and had him visit One Bills drive. He also makes an immediate impact on Special Teams which the Bills made a point of upgrading

-What would the Beckham bring to the Bills? First and foremost he brings an immediate impact to Special Teams unit.......

http://www.profootballwarroom.com/

trapezeus
05-05-2014, 06:35 AM
no to dark horse picks in round 1. that might explain why we've been so terrible for so long.

BPA

DraftBoy
05-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Mike is very good, he didn't have the Spiller or Gilmore pick before anybody else but he's very good.

As for ODB, meh. That's a reach with the top 2 guys gone, and I wonder about his production. He torched poor pass D teams but struggled against better coverage corners. Now part of that is on the inconsistent QB play and a line that was hit and miss in protection, but I rarely, if ever, saw him take over a game like a true #1 WR. Dynamic playmaker, but can he do the little things to dominate the game and not just make the 1-2 splash plays?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I don't get the point of the ODB pick, aside from the awesome nickname. Evans at least offers us a new element to the offense, Watkins is just too good to pass up, but what does Beckham give us? Deep speed? We have an Olympic sprinter for god's sake.

kingJofNYC
05-05-2014, 12:32 PM
100% fine with it, love him

EDS
05-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Don't see it happening. After pick 15 or so fine, but what would a pick like this say about the 2nd and 3rd round picks the Bills made last season? Nothing good for sure.

Uncle Jesse
05-05-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd rather not have another sub 6 foot WR.

THATHURMANATOR
05-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I'd rather not have another sub 6 foot WR.

I agree 100%. We either get a big guy like Evans or get a tackle/TE. (Obviously Watkins will be gone and I would make an exception for him if he were there)

No need for another guy in the Steve/Goodwin/Graham/Williams mode.

Would make 0 sense and IMO be a complete waste of time.

Mr. Pink
05-05-2014, 03:32 PM
They already have Goodwin and Graham...why bother with another similar WR?

Then again, we do like drafting guys who have "return ability" so he would fit the mold.

Picking Beckham at 9 would be as bad as the Dolphins when they took Ted Ginn.

YardRat
05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think so.

...and I was the first one in with the Gilmore pick.

sudzy
05-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Great, another guy that can return kicks!

Homegrown
05-05-2014, 03:53 PM
First and foremost he brings an immediate impact to Special Teams unit.......

Oh no, another feller with ST impact .. just like McKelvin, Spiller, Goodwin, Graham …. As soon as I see the ST impact as the “first & foremost” reason , my eyes begin to roll

THATHURMANATOR
05-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Oh no, another feller with ST impact .. just like McKelvin, Spiller, Goodwin, Graham …. As soon as I see the ST impact as the “first & foremost” reason , my eyes begin to roll

Exactly

I don't give 2 ****s about return ability. We have 5 guys who are good return men.

Our special teams problem is not return guys it is blockers and players willing to pay the price to get down field and make ST tackles.

THATHURMANATOR
05-05-2014, 04:05 PM
That is why these publications and all this draft talk are such nonsense.

Does anyone really think the bills front office and scouts are sitting around and really giving all that much thought into drafting a guy because of return ability?

I can't imagine they really care that much. Sure it is an ok plus but it would be the last possible thing i would worry about.

kingJofNYC
05-05-2014, 04:30 PM
They already have Goodwin and Graham...why bother with another similar WR?

Then again, we do like drafting guys who have "return ability" so he would fit the mold.

Picking Beckham at 9 would be as bad as the Dolphins when they took Ted Ginn.

Except for the fact that Beckham can actually run routes and pluck away from his frame. Dude is a stud.

Night Train
05-05-2014, 04:36 PM
He might be a guy the Eagles move up for, after cutting D. Jackson. KR & WR in the Jackson mold.

I don't want him over several available.. but if they do, then priority one in Round 1 is aiding Manuel over BPA. That will speak volumes but I'll just let the draft play out.

swiper
05-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Love him. #9 is high for him. But ever since NFLN ran a piece on him about a month ago, I can see why he's one of the top 4 WR prospects.

Unless there is some trade (as has been suggested in reports with the Eagles), #9 is too high and he won't make it to the Bills in round #2.

Luisito23
05-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Horrible.

BuffaloRedleg
05-05-2014, 05:59 PM
I love Merk but this I don't get. I don't see them doing this nor do I think they should do this, so it is sort of a head scratcher.

Raptor
05-06-2014, 03:41 AM
9. *BUFFALO: TAYLOR LEWAN, T, MICHIGAN

Bills stunned that Lewan’s still hanging around, and they pass on tight end Eric Ebron, who could be a great security blanket for E.J. Manuel. Keep in mind that GM Doug Whaley is very much open for business here, and could trade down and still get another guy they love: Odell Beckham.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king-khalil-mack-houston-texans/

smh....I've got that sinking feeling we are just going to take Beckham at 9

coastal
05-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Well we have to replace the production that we never got from TJ Graham.

Raptor
05-08-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/Sources--Beckham--Jr--in-serious-consideration-for/9034669?pid=400271

If the Choice is Ebron/Keeping Stevie or Beckham/Trading Stevie ...than it should be Ebron by a landslide.

I've got this sinking feeling the Bills will do what they have been doing in this non playoff run, drafting a position and moving a quality player at the same position to complete the lateral move

stuckincincy
05-08-2014, 12:48 PM
9. *BUFFALO: TAYLOR LEWAN, T, MICHIGAN

Bills stunned that Lewan’s still hanging around, and they pass on tight end Eric Ebron, who could be a great security blanket for E.J. Manuel. Keep in mind that GM Doug Whaley is very much open for business here, and could trade down and still get another guy they love: Odell Beckham.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mock-draft-peter-king-khalil-mack-houston-texans/

smh....I've got that sinking feeling we are just going to take Beckham at 9

Sinking feeling doesn't fully describe it. If that's who they like, surely it would involve a trade-down.