The Dark Horse: Odell Beckham Jr , Thoughts on taking him?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Raptor
    • Jan 2009

The Dark Horse: Odell Beckham Jr , Thoughts on taking him?

This guy was a poster on another board but he is pretty good, he had the Spiller and Gilmore picks before anyone else so he does have some good history with the Bills pick

In any case thoughts on if this was the pick? Me personally I would hate it. This to me would be like when the Dolphins picked T.Ginn Jr. The Bills dont need a WR in my opinion but more importantly Beckham is not a top 10 talent. I watched a good amount of LSU games and while he makes plays here and there he disappears for LONG stretches

Mike Watkins
    (Twitter: @merk256 )
    5/5/2014

1.Houston: J.Clowney, DE, South Carolina

2.St.Louis: G.Robinson, OT, Auburn

3.Jacksonville: K.Mack, LB, Buffalo

4.Cleveland: S.Watkins, WR, Clemson

5.Oakland: M.Evans, WR, Texas A&M

6.Atlanta: T.Lewan, OT, Michigan

7.Tampa Bay: J.Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

8.Minnesota: B.Bortles, QB, UCF

9.Buffalo: O.Beckham Jr., WR, LSU

10.Detroit: E.Ebron, TE, North Carolina

Bills Pick

-From what I've been told the offensive staff is really high on Beckham. They have been all over him for most of the draft season. They went to LSU pro day, interviewed him at the Combine, and had him visit One Bills drive. He also makes an immediate impact on Special Teams which the Bills made a point of upgrading

-What would the Beckham bring to the Bills? First and foremost he brings an immediate impact to Special Teams unit.......

NFL Draft Mock Draft and Prospect Rankings Buffalo Bills Draft Preview -Fitting the Bills profootballwarroom.com
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: The Dark Horse: Odell Beckham Jr , Thoughts on taking him?

no to dark horse picks in round 1. that might explain why we've been so terrible for so long.

BPA

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Mike is very good, he didn't have the Spiller or Gilmore pick before anybody else but he's very good.

As for ODB, meh. That's a reach with the top 2 guys gone, and I wonder about his production. He torched poor pass D teams but struggled against better coverage corners. Now part of that is on the inconsistent QB play and a line that was hit and miss in protection, but I rarely, if ever, saw him take over a game like a true #1 WR. Dynamic playmaker, but can he do the little things to dominate the game and not just make the 1-2 splash plays?
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

I don't get the point of the ODB pick, aside from the awesome nickname. Evans at least offers us a new element to the offense, Watkins is just too good to pass up, but what does Beckham give us? Deep speed? We have an Olympic sprinter for god's sake.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• kingJofNYC
          • Sep 2009

100% fine with it, love him

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Don't see it happening. After pick 15 or so fine, but what would a pick like this say about the 2nd and 3rd round picks the Bills made last season? Nothing good for sure.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
              • Sep 2004

I'd rather not have another sub 6 foot WR.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
                I'd rather not have another sub 6 foot WR.
                I agree 100%. We either get a big guy like Evans or get a tackle/TE. (Obviously Watkins will be gone and I would make an exception for him if he were there)

No need for another guy in the Steve/Goodwin/Graham/Williams mode.

Would make 0 sense and IMO be a complete waste of time.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

They already have Goodwin and Graham...why bother with another similar WR?

Then again, we do like drafting guys who have "return ability" so he would fit the mold.

Picking Beckham at 9 would be as bad as the Dolphins when they took Ted Ginn.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Yeah, I don't think so.

...and I was the first one in with the Gilmore pick.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

Great, another guy that can return kicks!

Comment

• Homegrown
                        Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                        • Jul 2008

First and foremost he brings an immediate impact to Special Teams unit.......
                        Oh no, another feller with ST impact .. just like McKelvin, Spiller, Goodwin, Graham …. As soon as I see the ST impact as the “first & foremost” reason , my eyes begin to roll

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
                          Oh no, another feller with ST impact .. just like McKelvin, Spiller, Goodwin, Graham …. As soon as I see the ST impact as the “first & foremost” reason , my eyes begin to roll
                          Exactly

I don't give 2 ****s about return ability. We have 5 guys who are good return men.

Our special teams problem is not return guys it is blockers and players willing to pay the price to get down field and make ST tackles.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

That is why these publications and all this draft talk are such nonsense.

Does anyone really think the bills front office and scouts are sitting around and really giving all that much thought into drafting a guy because of return ability?

I can't imagine they really care that much. Sure it is an ok plus but it would be the last possible thing i would worry about.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                              They already have Goodwin and Graham...why bother with another similar WR?

Then again, we do like drafting guys who have "return ability" so he would fit the mold.

Picking Beckham at 9 would be as bad as the Dolphins when they took Ted Ginn.
                              Except for the fact that Beckham can actually run routes and pluck away from his frame. Dude is a stud.

Comment

Working...
                              X