• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bills Juggernaut
    • Aug 2006

More signs towards Zach Martin....

Peter King's MMQB:

"Mayock surprised me the other day by saying he thought Martin will come off the board “between nine and 13 … He’s too good. He’s too safe. He’s about as safe a player as there is in this draft.” Mayock told me Sunday he saw a Notre Dame practice last summer in which Martin had to be shifted from his usual spot, center, to guard because of an injury, and when he watched the tape of the practice, “It looked like he’d been playing guard for years.’’ I know one team in the top 10 seriously considering him."

So Mike Mayock thinks he will go between 9 and 13, then says that one team in the top 10 is seriously considering him. Well the only two teams in the top 10 that are between 9 and 13 are the Bills and Detroit. I have not read one piece of draft information that suggests that the Lions are looking for O-line help in the early rounds. So that would only leave the Bills right?

So this is what I'm thinking. One of the biggest positives on Zack Martin is his ability to play every position on the O-line. He can play right tackle or slide inside and play guard. The wild card here is Chris Hariston. The can draft Martin and see if Hairston comes back from injury and can take the RT starting position. If that were to happen, Martin would slide into the RG and put Urbik on the bench.

If Hairston comes back but isn't what they are hoping, Martin takes the starting RT spot and Urbik stays at RG.

I think the Martin pick gives them options.
    The One and Only
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: More signs towards Zach Martin....

If Matthews is gone by #9, I would be happy with Martin.

Comment

• kishoph
      • Jun 2003

I can't put to much stock on any draft predictions or reports from unnamed sources, IMO it's just people throwing **** against the wall and hoping it will stick.

Comment

• Bills Juggernaut
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by better days View Post
        If Matthews is gone by #9, I would be happy with Martin.
        I'm thinking that if Matthews is there, he is the pick. I just don't see him getting passed Atlanta at this point. I think it will interesting if they pick Martin over Lewan.
        The One and Only

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Bills Juggernaut View Post
          I'm thinking that if Matthews is there, he is the pick. I just don't see him getting passed Atlanta at this point. I think it will interesting if they pick Martin over Lewan.
          Like you pointed out, Martin has more versatility than Lewan & none of the off field garbage that comes with Lewan.

It would not surprise me at all if Martin is picked before Lewan.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

As much as I'd love to see a Notre Dame guy be our first pick, 9 seems a little high for a guy who would likely be an interior lineman.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              As much as I'd love to see a Notre Dame guy be our first pick, 9 seems a little high for a guy who would likely be an interior lineman.
              You don't think he can play RT? I don't pretend to be an o-line expert, but seems like most analysts think he can play any position on the line.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

If that is really the case, maybe the Bills could trade down a little & still get Martin.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                  • Sep 2010

If we are set on building the line this is the draft to do it.
                  Originally posted by OpIv37
                  You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mayotm View Post
                    You don't think he can play RT? I don't pretend to be an o-line expert, but seems like most analysts think he can play any position on the line.
                    Eh, maybe, but I hate the idea of drafting a guy then immediately changing his position. The learning curve and speed of the NFL is enough change without throwing in a different position. If we need a T, draft a T instead of drafting a G and hoping he can play T.

Classic example: Aaron Williams. He was a S that we drafted to play CB- he was awful at CB but has been solid since he was moved back to S.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                      If that is really the case, maybe the Bills could trade down a little & still get Martin.
                      that would be ideal. I don't think it's likely because I don't think anyone will wan to trade up, plus if we trade down it increases the chances that someone else takes Martin before us. But I'd be very happy if somehow it did happen.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                        • Sep 2012

Eh, maybe, but I hate the idea of drafting a guy then immediately changing his position. The learning curve and speed of the NFL is enough change without throwing in a different position. If we need a T, draft a T instead of drafting a G and hoping he can play T.

Classic example: Aaron Williams. He was a S that we drafted to play CB- he was awful at CB but has been solid since he was moved back to S.
                        To be fair, Levitre, Glenn, and Byrd came to buffalo and changed positions and those have been our most successful draft picks recently. I'm perfectly fine with drafting a guy and moving him to a related position, you just have to keep him there and not ping pong him around all over the place, ala Carrington.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• mayotm
                          • Jul 2003

He didn't play guard at ND. He had 50 starts at LT and 2 starts at RT in his ND career.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                            • Sep 2012

Actually I misread this the first time. Aaron Williams played corner at Texas, not safety. Some people thought he should be moved to safety in the pros, but we initially declined and kept him at the line.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Homegrown
                              Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Bills Juggernaut View Post
                              I think the Martin pick gives them options.
                              Is Martin playing TE an option?

I'd rather have the "options" that Ebron can offer...play inline/slot/etc... not a guy at #9 who's "option" is OG.

Just saying...

Comment

Working...
                              X