PDA

View Full Version : Look to where our resources are committed now to see what we're going to draft

Skooby
05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
The Bills have to get solid on one side of the ball to raise their odds of winning this season, so I'll assume we're going for a defensive player based on this:

Offensive Spend: $54,311,829
Defensive Spend: $66,742,851
Specials teams Spend: $3,479,168

We've committed ~23% more monies for our defense, I expect that trend to continue until we're stout.

Jan Reimers
05-05-2014, 01:09 PM
One could also argue that we need to balance the offense with the defense, so we go OT, TE (or WR) in the first 2 rounds.

I really don't think the monies presently committed to the O vs. the D can really be a predictor of our draft.

GingerP
05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
The reason for the difference is they aren't paying big QB money to anyone, but they are paying Mario Williams big money on the defensive side. I don't think that says anything more than that, or is telling in terms of who they draft.

stuckincincy
05-05-2014, 01:19 PM
The reason for the difference is they aren't paying big QB money to anyone, but they are paying Mario Williams big money on the defensive side. I don't think that says anything more than that, or is telling in terms of who they draft.

Good points, but Mitch's comment is fair - Lord knows we here slice and dice everything down to the atomic level. That's fandom for ya.

GingerP
05-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Good points, but Mitch's comment is fair - Lord knows we here slice and dice everything down to the atomic level. That's fandom for ya.

You take away Mario Williams and it flips, though. Then they are spending $54,311,829 for offense, $47,942,851 for defense and $3,479,168 for ST. You think one player is going to determine their draft?

Plus, he is only using the Top-51 number, not the actual full cap for every player. It tells nothing, I don't really see his comment as fair, it is pretty much meaningless.

stuckincincy
05-05-2014, 01:33 PM
You take away Mario Williams and it flips, though. Then they are spending $54,311,829 for offense, $47,942,851 for defense and $3,479,168 for ST. You think one player is going to determine their draft?

Plus, he is only using the Top-51 number, not the actual full cap for every player. It tells nothing, I don't really see his comment as fair, it is pretty much meaningless.

Lighten up. The draft is approaching, folks are trying to contribute this or that. Not a time for strict scrutiny...

Buffalo Billy Bison
05-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Who says there has to be a balance between the Offense and Defense? Certain skill positions are going to cost a team more on one side the ball or the other! Why worry about that as the determining factor in this draft. Pick the best players available or for need. If the BAP is on offense then the difference is greater if for need and that turns out Defense then...

Skooby
05-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Imagine having another Mario type players at about 1/4 the cost for the next 4 years?

stuckincincy
05-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Imagine having another Mario type players at about 1/4 the cost for the next 4 years?

Just what they need - another snooty DE like Mario who probably led the league in fewest tackles per minute played, and whatever rb tackles he garnered was likely because they ran into him. How in the world do you start 16 games, play all those minutes, and tote up a mere 38 tackles, 10 of which were sacks?

Signing that clown was the dumbest thing since Maybin and Cargo.