PDA

View Full Version : Mike Glennon is on the block already?

ghz in pittsburgh
05-06-2014, 01:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346963/article/mike-glennon-could-be-traded-for-secondround-pick

I thought he out played EJ last year.

What does that say about Tampa's QB position? Josh McCown is, after all, 35. So Tampa is likely to draft a QB high, though not likely 7th overall pick high.

trapezeus
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
the fact lovie smith doesn't like glennon is enough reason for me to say, "you kick the tires on glennon".

he looked good last year for a rookie. i wonder if we are witnessing the new brett favre trade. if you think it's idiotic to give up on EJ who looked pedestrian and injured. Glennon looked ok and got better as the season wore on.

Also, no way they get a second round pick for him. if teams know they want to get rid of him, i think 4th round or worse is where the trade happens.

CleveSteve
05-06-2014, 02:05 PM
"NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that if the Bucs draft a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick in return (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/463709521261907968) for Josh McCown (http://www.nfl.com/player/joshmccown/2505076/profile)'s backup."

I'd say that any time you can get a second round pick for a third string player at any position, you do it.

better days
05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
"NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that if the Bucs draft a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick in return (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/463709521261907968) for Josh McCown (http://www.nfl.com/player/joshmccown/2505076/profile)'s backup."

I'd say that any time you can get a second round pick for a third string player at any position, you do it.

Glennon was a STARTER last year.

And I have heard the Bucs would be willing to take a lower rnd pick for him.

I posted about this before & am on board for a trade of a 4th for Glennon.

Albany,n.y.
05-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Anybody can be a starter if there's nobody left in front of him & he's the last man standing. If we put Thad Lewis on the market someone in another city would be posting the same thing you just did, calling him a starter. Teams don't give young QBs away unless they see a serious flaw in their game. If the Bucs put Glennon on the market, they see a fatal flaw somewhere in his game, or he just doesn't fit Lovie's system.

Albany,n.y.
05-06-2014, 02:20 PM
the fact lovie smith doesn't like glennon is enough reason for me to say, "you kick the tires on glennon".

he looked good last year for a rookie. i wonder if we are witnessing the new brett favre trade. if you think it's idiotic to give up on EJ who looked pedestrian and injured. Glennon looked ok and got better as the season wore on.

Also, no way they get a second round pick for him. if teams know they want to get rid of him, i think 4th round or worse is where the trade happens.

Favre was something entirely different. A 2nd round pick who barely played for a bozo of a coach and the GM of GB, who when he was in the Jets front office rated Favre the best player in the draft, offering the Falcons a 1st round pick. I doubt anyone in the entire NFL had Glennon rated as the best player in last year's draft or would be offering TB a 1st rounder.

better days
05-06-2014, 02:22 PM
Anybody can be a starter if there's nobody left in front of him & he's the last man standing. If we put Thad Lewis on the market someone in another city would be posting the same thing you just did, calling him a starter. Teams don't give young QBs away unless they see a serious flaw in their game. If the Bucs put Glennon on the market, they see a fatal flaw somewhere in his game, or he just doesn't fit Lovie's system.

Both the GM & HC are NEW & have no ties to Glennon who had the best year of any rookie QB last year.

The new HC & GM probably just want to choose their own guy.

And Thad FILLED in for an INJURED EJ Manuel & is in no way considered a starting QB.

Glennon replaced an ineffective starter & was NAMED the starting QB of the Bucs by the previous regime.

CleveSteve
05-06-2014, 02:32 PM

Sure... and a lot of Bucs fans will be mad if they trade him. But in the scenario from the article, the Bucs would be looking to trade Glennon for a second round pick, which would probably mean they had taken a QB in the first round... expecting him to be the starter within a season or so. They also called Mike Glennon in that article "Josh McCown's backup." I read that as "if Glennon becomes the third string QB, they would accept a 2nd round pick for him."

better days
05-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Sure... and a lot of Bucs fans will be mad if they trade him. But in the scenario from the article, the Bucs would be looking to trade Glennon for a second round pick, which would probably mean they had taken a QB in the first round... expecting him to be the starter within a season or so. They also called Mike Glennon in that article "Josh McCown's backup." I read that as "if Glennon becomes the third string QB, they would accept a 2nd round pick for him."

I did not read the article.

I am a Bucs fan & get info on the Bucs from reliable LOCAL sources.

EDS
05-06-2014, 02:41 PM

The folks in TB should take a look at what happened with the Eagles last year. Foles was picked by the prior regime and did not fit Kelly's scheme . . .

Having said that, I don't think you can say that Glennon is a sure fire long-time starter but if it were me I would go into the season with McCown, Glennon - who showed at least enough to get a second look - and a non-first round drafted rookie QB and see how it all plays out. Glennon and said rookie QB are cheap and can be developed or jettisoned down the road.

CleveSteve
05-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Sorry, misread your message in the post.

lightningbolt444
05-06-2014, 02:42 PM
How is it that everyone thinks this guy is going to be great when his play was extremely similar to EJ's? Both have question marks but it amazes me how time and time the double standard for Bills players. EJ is a bust because he was injured and struggled at times but Glennon is the next Farve because he was a starter on a team that was worse than us and put up similar numbers to our rookie bust qb. Great logic folks.

trapezeus
05-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Favre was something entirely different. A 2nd round pick who barely played for a bozo of a coach and the GM of GB, who when he was in the Jets front office rated Favre the best player in the draft, offering the Falcons a 1st round pick. I doubt anyone in the entire NFL had Glennon rated as the best player in last year's draft or would be offering TB a 1st rounder.

of the rookies starting last year, he seemed to get it the most. granted a weak class, but he looked to have a big ben type year where he grew in the position but didn't do anything wowing. but he seems to be able to run an offense capably. something none of the other rookies were able to showcase.

Buffalogic
05-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Lovie Smith loved Rex Grossman, so there's that. I don't know what to think about Glennon, really.

Bill Cody
05-06-2014, 02:46 PM

The flaw is he is a STATUE. That isn't going to change. Pass.

trapezeus
05-06-2014, 02:47 PM
How is it that everyone thinks this guy is going to be great when his play was extremely similar to EJ's? Both have question marks but it amazes me how time and time the double standard for Bills players. EJ is a bust because he was injured and struggled at times but Glennon is the next Farve because he was a starter on a team that was worse than us and put up similar numbers to our rookie bust qb. Great logic folks.

glennon got better as the year wore on. ej was out for essentially the second half of the season. based on a small sample size of work thus far, who would you rather rely on? That's what we are going for. i just think if the bills are looking at QB in rounds 4-7 (which they essentially said or hinted at), this is a better deal than taking a flier on a graded 4-7qb. Now if someone falls then draft that guy.

i think EJ can be good, but we haven't seen enough and we don't have enough competition at that position.

CleveSteve
05-06-2014, 02:50 PM
The folks in TB should take a look at what happened with the Eagles last year. Foles was picked by the prior regime and did not fit Kelly's scheme . . .

I think Nick Foles is part of the reason Kelly took the job in Philly.

"We knew, especially against Nick Foles, that this game never is in hand," Kelly said. "We were aware that we were going to get a great shot from them in the second half, and I thought our offense responded well."

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=312670012

Foles averaged about 375 passing yards and 3-4 TDs in 3 games against Kelly's Ducks.

Not saying your point is wrong or anything, just that i think Kelly had plans for Foles. That doesn't seem to be the situation in Tampa. Of course, it could be smoke trying to get a team to move up and take a QB in front of them.

lightningbolt444
05-06-2014, 02:52 PM
glennon got better as the year wore on. ej was out for essentially the second half of the season. based on a small sample size of work thus far, who would you rather rely on? That's what we are going for. i just think if the bills are looking at QB in rounds 4-7 (which they essentially said or hinted at), this is a better deal than taking a flier on a graded 4-7qb. Now if someone falls then draft that guy.

i think EJ can be good, but we haven't seen enough and we don't have enough competition at that position.

Glennon got better as the year went on? His last 5 games he never posted a qb rating above 78. He had a 36% completion percentage against us. Only had 6 touchdowns in his last 5 games with 5 INTS at that time and never went over 220 yards in that period of time either. If anything he regressed by the end of the year.

This is not an argument that EJ is better jury is still out on that. Just Glennon did not have a great year by any stretch and if EJ is being labeled a bust by our fans so should Glennon as they had similar ups and downs. In my opinion neither is a bust yet and time will tell who will have the better career .

trapezeus
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
19-9 TD to INT vs 11-9 for EJ.

He was playing on a worse team in flux and looked better to me amongst the rookies.

All i'm saying is:

1. lovie has zero QB credibility. it's odd to jettison a guy even if he isn't yours when you aren't an offense guy and you probably get a pass by simply keeping him if he turns out to suck, than to go get a new guy and he ends up sucking. so to me, if lovie is giving up on him, he might not be so bad.
2. Glennon looked good to me in the games i watched of him. i think he's a mid level qb. and if that's what EJ can't become, we don't have a viable starter and hardly a back up.
3. if the draft shakes out that we are looking at a thin group of QB's left when we want to take one, we should weigh what we actually know about glennon vs the unknown of a levy brown type qb. now if a guy like aaron murray is there at 4, i'd rather have him. but in context, i don't think pulling a day 3 trade to get him is absurd.
4. i agree with you that glennon isn't lights out better than EJ. but he's a more serious starter than Thad who may have to play again if EJ's injuries keep mounting.

Bill Cody
05-06-2014, 03:05 PM
I think Nick Foles is part of the reason Kelly took the job in Philly.

"We knew, especially against Nick Foles, that this game never is in hand," Kelly said. "We were aware that we were going to get a great shot from them in the second half, and I thought our offense responded well."

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=312670012

Foles averaged about 375 passing yards and 3-4 TDs in 3 games against Kelly's Ducks.

Not saying your point is wrong or anything, just that i think Kelly had plans for Foles. That doesn't seem to be the situation in Tampa. Of course, it could be smoke trying to get a team to move up and take a QB in front of them.

The thing that you have to like about Nick Foles game is he does not hold the ball, it's out of his hand and he's very accurate. If we were back in the 50's Glennon would be a good QB but he's lead footed and tends to hold the ball. I don't think he's going to make it even as a backup. And yes I do think Tampa is drafting a QB.

EDS
05-06-2014, 03:09 PM

I certaintly was not implying Glennon was even a sure thing starter let alone great. That said, I do think people tend to give non-first round QBs some more runway as the investment by the franchise is so much lower.

gr8slayer
05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Any time a new regime comes in, all options are open.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000346963/article/mike-glennon-could-be-traded-for-secondround-pick

I thought he out played EJ last year.

What does that say about Tampa's QB position? Josh McCown is, after all, 35. So Tampa is likely to draft a QB high, though not likely 7th overall pick high.

better days
05-06-2014, 03:24 PM
The flaw is he is a STATUE. That isn't going to change. Pass.

Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck.

I guess you would pass on all of them as well.

better days
05-06-2014, 03:27 PM

NOBODY has said Glennon will be GREAT.

We are saying he is worth a look for a FOURTH RND pick.

If we thought he was a sure thing to be GREAT , we would be advocating a MUCH higher pick to get him.

justasportsfan
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
If there are 7 qbs in this years draft that Caserly ranked ahead of EJ , why would anyone give up a second for Glennon ,a QB that was drafted behind EJ? If qb's from this years class are better, might as well use that 2nd on a qb from this class.

Bill Cody
05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck.

Mike Glennon has nothing in common with that list other than they're all men. The only NFL comparison to Glennon I can think of is Ryan Mallet and he stinks too. Both those guys have arms and not much else, slow releases, slow feet. I expect the Patriots will draft a QB this year and Mallet has 1 year or less before he's released. In my opinion overall Thad Lewis is better than Mike Glennon.

better days
05-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Mike Glennon has nothing in common with that list other than they're all men. The only NFL comparison to Glennon I can think of is Ryan Mallet and he stinks too. Both those guys have arms and not much else, slow releases, slow feet. I expect the Patriots will draft a QB this year and Mallet has 1 year or less before he's released. In my opinion overall Thad Lewis is better than Mike Glennon.

BULLSPIT. EVERY QB I named is as much a statue as Glennon is, FACT.

Bill Cody
05-06-2014, 03:51 PM
BULLSPIT. EVERY QB I named is as much a statue as Glennon is, FACT.

Not even close. That's a hall of fame list you made. And they all know how to move their feet in the pocket. Glennon doesn't. He will fail.

Bill Cody
05-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I would like to see us draft a developmental QB in this draft. My pick would be Logan Thomas in the 4th. Not ready for prime time yet but in a year or two if he's coached up you might have something.

better days
05-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Not even close. That's a hall of fame list you made. And they all know how to move their feet in the pocket. Glennon doesn't. He will fail.

EVERY ONE of those QB's including the future HOF QB's is considered to be a STATUE. FACT.

And of the QB's named, only Big Ben moves in the pocket at all. The others rely on a QUICK release to avoid getting sacked.

Mr. Pink
05-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Roethlisberger is anything but a statue.

He's always moving around and holding the ball too long.

And Luck averages 4 carries per game at 5 yards per carry.

How is either of those two statues?

Skooby
05-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Glennon can be had for a 5th rounder, just to be clear.

Buffalogic
05-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Seriously flawed logic in this statement.

PromoTheRobot
05-06-2014, 06:54 PM

You cracked the code.

EricStratton
05-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Fact only when you're struggling to prove a flawed point.

EVERY ONE of those QB's including the future HOF QB's is considered to be a STATUE. FACT.

And of the QB's named, only Big Ben moves in the pocket at all. The others rely on a QUICK release to avoid getting sacked.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Luck is extremely athletic. He doesn't run around the backfield because that's not his game, but he's not even close to a statue.

- - - Updated - - -

Luck is extremely athletic. He doesn't run around the backfield because that's not his game, but he's not even close to a statue.

Bill Cody
05-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Even if this was true, and it most definetely isn't, Glennon doesn't have a quick release. Fact. The Bucs know what they have in Glennon. Which is why they're looking to move him.

better days
05-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Even if this was true, and it most definetely isn't, Glennon doesn't have a quick release. Fact. The Bucs know what they have in Glennon. Which is why they're looking to move him.

I am not comparing Glennon's over all ability to the QB's I named.

Just the fact that like Glennon, ALL of them are considered to be pocket passers, AKA statue QB's.

NONE of them are considered to be MOBILE QB's. FACT.

Raptor
05-07-2014, 05:43 AM
I commend Tampa, they have the balls to aknowledge that the kid doesnt have it. Nothing he did last year says that Glennon is the type of guy you build around

Forward_Lateral
05-07-2014, 07:57 AM

I don't know if I'd call any of those guys statues. Bernie Kosar was a statue. Vinny Testaverte was a statue. Bledsoe.

better days
05-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't know if I'd call any of those guys statues. Bernie Kosar was a statue. Vinny Testaverte was a statue. Bledsoe.

Well, they are POCKET QB's, NOT Mobile QB's. Hence statues.

And Brady & Manning are as much statues as ever played in the NFL.

Glennon is also a pocket QB, that is the comparison I was making.

trapezeus
05-07-2014, 09:31 AM
there seems to be two sides forming on glennon but i think everyone agrees. glennon isn't a savior of a team...but for a team with a lack of capable starters and a team with an injury prone qb, it would be better to have someone who has looked ok for a low draft pick than taking a low draft pick qb like a levy brown.

i think tampa is crazy to get rid of him for a different weak qb class (it's not like thye are thinking this through for luck). they are doing it for high ceiling, but needs a bit of work qbs.

but i'm not a gm, coach, or scout. what do i know.

Bill Cody
05-07-2014, 09:32 AM
I am not comparing Glennon's over all ability to the QB's I named.

Just the fact that like Glennon, ALL of them are considered to be pocket passers, AKA statue QB's.

NONE of them are considered to be MOBILE QB's. FACT.

A pocket passer does not equate to a statue. Stop now you're embarrassing yourself.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Well, they are POCKET QB's, NOT Mobile QB's. Hence statues.

And Brady & Manning are as much statues as ever played in the NFL.

Glennon is also a pocket QB, that is the comparison I was making.

Manning and Brady are pocket passers, but they move around the pocket avoiding the rush as well as anybody. A statue is someone like Bledsoe who would stand in his spot until he threw or got sacked. You aren't so much painting with a broad brush as just dumping the bucket right on the canvas.

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Manning and Brady are pocket passers, but they move around the pocket avoiding the rush as well as anybody. A statue is someone like Bledsoe who would stand in his spot until he threw or got sacked. You aren't so much painting with a broad brush as just dumping the bucket right on the canvas.

Heh - that's a nifty quip!

justasportsfan
05-07-2014, 10:44 AM
bills won't take Glennon.

Marrone/Hackett are waiting for the giants to release Nassib

coastal
05-07-2014, 10:54 AM

Oh yeah?

like who?

better days
05-07-2014, 11:09 AM
A pocket passer does not equate to a statue. Stop now you're embarrassing yourself.

Well,if that is the case, Glennon is NOT a statue either.

And I would bet I have watched him MUCH MORE than you have.

better days
05-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Oh yeah?

like who?

Steve Duemig, the Big Dog on WDAE afternoons & Ian Beckles 7 year RG for the Bucs on WDAE in the AM are a couple people I get information from & they are both reliable.

better days
05-07-2014, 11:21 AM

BOTH Manning & Brady stand in one spot in the pocket.

Neither of them move an inch.

They both rely on a FAST release to avoid sacks.

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Steve Duemig, the Big Dog on WDAE afternoons & Ian Beckles 7 year RG for the Bucs on WDAE in the AM are a couple people I get information from & they are both reliable.

Correct me if I am wrong (we can't search others' posts on this site AFAIK), but didn't you sing Glennon's praises in the past?

better days
05-07-2014, 11:28 AM
Correct me if I am wrong (we can't search others' posts on this site AFAIK), but didn't you sing Glennon's praises in the past?

Absolutely. I wanted the Bills to draft him & have said I would like the Bills to trade for him.

He had a much better year than EJ or any other rookie QB last year.

GingerP
05-07-2014, 12:25 PM
I'd compare Glennon to Flacco, except he isn't as accurate, has less confidence stepping up in the pocket and doesn't read defenses as well.

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 12:41 PM
I'd compare Glennon to Flacco, except he isn't as accurate, has less confidence stepping up in the pocket and doesn't read defenses as well.

I haven't seen him play in a single game, college or pro. But FWIW, his rookie numbers were decent. With what may prove to be a rising club. Started 13 games, 59%, 19 and 9.

If he's offered up, I believe clubs will bite.

better days
05-07-2014, 01:31 PM

I would agree about reading defenses, but Glennon is pretty accurate, especially on the long ball.

And last year was his rookie year. I think Glennon can & will improve.

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 01:32 PM
I would agree about reading defenses, but Glennon is pretty accurate, especially on the long ball.

And last year was his rookie year. I think Glennon can & will improve.

Thud.

coastal
05-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Steve Duemig, the Big Dog:rofl:

i listen to talking heads down here too and they suck as bad as the nobs on GR.

better days
05-07-2014, 02:19 PM
:rofl:

i listen to talking heads down here too and they suck as bad as the nobs on GR.

Bullspit as Duemig says. They talk SPORTS on WDAE, not STUPID CRAP.

And Duemig had the Bucs trading for Gruden before it happened.

coastal
05-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Bullspit as Duemig says. They talk SPORTS on WDAE, not STUPID CRAP.

And Duemig had the Bucs trading for Gruden before it happened.

http://youtu.be/RBmJGJ-CpHM

better days
05-07-2014, 11:11 PM
http://youtu.be/RBmJGJ-CpHM

You are referring to Shopp & Bulldog right?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-08-2014, 07:30 AM
BOTH Manning & Brady stand in one spot in the pocket.

Neither of them move an inch.

They both rely on a FAST release to avoid sacks.

This is just not true. They are the masters of stepping around within the pocket to buy themselves time. All they need is one quick step to avoid a rusher, and then they reset. They don't take off scampering like Wilson or Kapernick, but they are not statues.

Ginger Vitis
05-08-2014, 07:46 AM
You are referring to Shopp & Bulldog right?

Shopp has lost his passion for sports over the years.. Coach Sal was a good addition to WGR he was grateful for the opportunity and is hungry and passionnnate... Jeremy White and Joe Buscaglia are young and hungry they spend tons of time off the air researching info.analyzing game film... White went a saw a few junior games to see NHL prospects live probably on his own dime.

better days
05-08-2014, 08:02 AM
This is just not true. They are the masters of stepping around within the pocket to buy themselves time. All they need is one quick step to avoid a rusher, and then they reset. They don't take off scampering like Wilson or Kapernick, but they are not statues.

BULLSPIT. They do not move at all! They both have a quick release & do not waste time moving around! THEY USE THE TIME THEY HAVE TO GET RID OF THE BALL WITH THEIR QUICK RELEASE.

I doubt you even watch football if you think Manning & Brady move around in the pocket.

GingerP
05-08-2014, 08:26 AM
BULLSPIT. They do not move at all! They both have a quick release & do not waste time moving around! THEY USE THE TIME THEY HAVE TO GET RID OF THE BALL WITH THEIR QUICK RELEASE.

I doubt you even watch football if you think Manning & Brady move around in the pocket.

When better days starts breaking out the all caps you know he is about to go into full insane-mode. The next step is breaking out the all-caps colored font, then he goes defcon-5, full nuclear nut-case on your ass.

As for the subject, I'd consider Manning & Brady among the least mobile QBs in the NFL. I don't think it is just their quick release, it is how good they are pre-snap, that allows them to succeed. They usually know where the ball is going before it is even snapped, just based on what the defense shows, so they get rid of it quickly.

That said, though their mobility is terrible, they both do a good job of sliding-and-resetting in the pocket. Both have great pocket-awareness, and do a great job of shuffling to an open spot, resetting and getting the throw off. I think that is what IlluminatusUIUC is referring to.

better days
05-08-2014, 08:38 AM
When better days starts breaking out the all caps you know he is about to go into full insane-mode. The next step is breaking out the all-caps colored font, then he goes defcon-5, full nuclear nut-case on your ass.

As for the subject, I'd consider Manning & Brady among the least mobile QBs in the NFL. I don't think it is just their quick release, it is how good they are pre-snap, that allows them to succeed. They usually know where the ball is going before it is even snapped, just based on what the defense shows, so they get rid of it quickly.

That said, though their mobility is terrible, they both do a good job of sliding-and-resetting in the pocket. Both have great pocket-awareness, and do a great job of shuffling to an open spot, resetting and getting the throw off. I think that is what IlluminatusUIUC is referring to.

I only use colors to respond to posts that are broken apart.

I agree with you that both Manning & Brady know where the ball is going before it is snapped.

But as you said they are probably the least mobile QB's in the NFL today. And even if they move a foot or two, that does not qualify them as mobile.

Neither one of them could get out of their own way.

My point was pocket QB's are still successful in today's NFL & it is possible Glennon, a pocket passer, develops into a better QB than RGIII

And as I said, if IlluminatusUIUC thinks Manning & Brady are mobile QB's, I doubt he watches football at all.

better days
05-08-2014, 08:51 AM
And if anyone thinks Brady & Manning are mobile, they just have to look at the AFC Championship game & the Super Bowl to see how ridiculous that idea is.

The first play of the Super Bowl when the ball was snapped over Mannings head, Manning looked so clumsy chasing after it, that play will end up on blooper films for years to come.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-08-2014, 09:09 AM
I only use colors to respond to posts that are broken apart.

I agree with you that both Manning & Brady know where the ball is going before it is snapped.

But as you said they are probably the least mobile QB's in the NFL today. And even if they move a foot or two, that does not qualify them as mobile.

Neither one of them could get out of their own way.

My point was pocket QB's are still successful in today's NFL & it is possible Glennon, a pocket passer, develops into a better QB than RGIII

And as I said, if IlluminatusUIUC thinks Manning & Brady are mobile QB's, I doubt he watches football at all.

I never said they were mobile QBs you dope, I said they were not statues. They are pocket QBs who move around efficiently in the pocket. You seem to think any QB who is not "mobile" is a statue. That's a ridiculous position.

Statues are QBs who go into their drop and then stay there scanning. Bills-era Drew Bledsoe was the worst at this in my memory, the DEs could rush blindfolded because they always knew where to find him.

Manning and Brady are prototype pocket passers. They will gain a few yards and slide if the heavens part before them, but in general they just move around the pocket in short steps to maintain protection and only step outside it to throw the ball away.

Like this play at :39

http://youtu.be/X8toiXDuzn4?t=39s

Or this play at 3:00
http://youtu.be/UzZi_GuWXmkt=3m

lightningbolt444
05-08-2014, 09:17 AM
And if anyone thinks Brady & Manning are mobile, they just have to look at the AFC Championship game & the Super Bowl to see how ridiculous that idea is.

The first play of the Super Bowl when the ball was snapped over Mannings head, Manning looked so clumsy chasing after it, that play will end up on blooper films for years to come.

No one is saying they are mobile. They are not statues though. They slide with the pocket know how to sidestep and have a quick release. All of which Glennon does not do/have.

Mobile does not just mean can run and scramble. Also I am questioning just how much of Glennon you have watched if you think he is an accurate passer. The guy is super inconsistent and was in college as well. He can hit some great throws and then the next 5 are not even in the same area code as the intended receiver.

better days
05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I never said they were mobile QBs you dope, I said they were not statues. They are pocket QBs who move around efficiently in the pocket. You seem to think any QB who is not "mobile" is a statue. That's a ridiculous position.

Statues are QBs who go into their drop and then stay there scanning. Bills-era Drew Bledsoe was the worst at this in my memory, the DEs could rush blindfolded because they always knew where to find him.

Manning and Brady are prototype pocket passers. They will gain a few yards and slide if the heavens part before them, but in general they just move around the pocket in short steps to maintain protection and only step outside it to throw the ball away.

Like this play at :39

http://youtu.be/X8toiXDuzn4?t=39s

Or this play at 3:00
http://youtu.be/UzZi_GuWXmkt=3m

You are calling me a dope? LOL.

Neither Manning or Brady move around in the pocket. You are an IDIOT for saying they do.

Big Ben is a QB that moves around in the pocket although he is not really mobile.

Brady & Manning, not so much.

Tell me how efficiently Brady moved around in the AFC Championship game or how efficiently Manning moved around in the Super Bowl.

better days
05-08-2014, 09:26 AM
No one is saying they are mobile. They are not statues though. They slide with the pocket know how to sidestep and have a quick release. All of which Glennon does not do/have.

Mobile does not just mean can run and scramble. Also I am questioning just how much of Glennon you have watched if you think he is an accurate passer. The guy is super inconsistent and was in college as well. He can hit some great throws and then the next 5 are not even in the same area code as the intended receiver.

I have watched every game Glennon played last year.

He CAN MOVE around in the pocket better than Brady & Manning.

He is not as accurate as they are, but he is as accurate as EJ Manuel & more accurate than RGIII.

And YES, If ANYONE in the NFL can be called a statue, it is Brady & Manning.

The only difference between Brady, Manning & Drew Bledsoe is Bledsoe did not have the QUICK release Brady & Manning do.

lightningbolt444
05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
I have watched every game Glennon played last year.

He CAN MOVE around in the pocket better than Brady & Manning.

He is not as accurate as they are, but he is as accurate as EJ Manuel & more accurate than RGIII.

And YES, If ANYONE in the NFL can be called a statue, it is Brady & Manning.

The only difference between Brady, Manning & Drew Bledsoe is Bledsoe did not have the QUICK release Brady & Manning do.

If you say so. Glennon sure was accurate the day they played the Bills wasn't he.

Obviously you are set in your mind set as every other poster has been trying to explain what statue means. That is fine different thoughts is all.

better days
05-08-2014, 09:41 AM
If you say so. Glennon sure was accurate the day they played the Bills wasn't he.

Obviously you are set in your mind set as every other poster has been trying to explain what statue means. That is fine different thoughts is all.

This started when I responded to a post that called Glennon a statue.

If anyone in the NFL can be called a statue, it is Brady & Manning much more so than Glennon, who not only rolls out at times, but throws an accurate ball when doing so.

And yes, Glennon had his worst game of the year against the Bills.

Think Pettine's aggressive defense with the great Bills DL had anything to do with that?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-08-2014, 09:58 AM
You are calling me a dope? LOL.

Yes, and I stand by ot.

Neither Manning or Brady move around in the pocket. You are an IDIOT for saying they do.

I gave you videos showing what I am talking about.

Big Ben is a QB that moves around in the pocket although he is not really mobile.

Exactly! There are guys who move in the pocket that are not statues or "mobile" QBs. There is a middle ground here you finally acknowledge.

Tell me how efficiently Brady moved around in the AFC Championship game or how efficiently Manning moved around in the Super Bowl.

Do you really want to bring the AFC championship? Brady had a freakin rushing touchdown during which he broke a tackle. He had another play where he avoided the rush for a second and then completed a first down while he was being dragged down from behind.

As for the Super Bowl, there's a reason why Seattle's defense was being ranked amongst the all-timers afterwards. They dominated Manning's line all night, so the little movement in the pocket wasn't enough. I didn't claim he was unsackable or anything, but he and Brady are experts at the efficient footwork in the pocket.

better days
05-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Yes, and I stand by ot.

I gave you videos showing what I am talking about.

Exactly! There are guys who move in the pocket that are not statues or "mobile" QBs. There is a middle ground here you finally acknowledge.

Do you really want to bring the AFC championship? Brady had a freakin rushing touchdown during which he broke a tackle. He had another play where he avoided the rush for a second and then completed a first down while he was being dragged down from behind.

As for the Super Bowl, there's a reason why Seattle's defense was being ranked amongst the all-timers afterwards. They dominated Manning's line all night, so the little movement in the pocket wasn't enough. I didn't claim he was unsackable or anything, but he and Brady are experts at the efficient footwork in the pocket.

As I said, this started because I responded to a post that called Mike Glennon a statue.

If ANYONE in the NFL can be called that it is Brady & Manning.

BOTH Brady & Manning are Drew Bledsoe with a MUCH FASTER release.

Glennon on the other hand not only can move in the pocket, but rolls out at times & throws an accurate ball when he does.............that is not a statue.

wolfpack
05-08-2014, 10:06 AM
My biggest problem with Glennon when he was at STATE was that he is horribly inconsistent. He looked good in some big games (Louisville, Clemson, FSU, UNC) then looks like a true freshman against the likes of BC, Wake, Cinci, UVa and Vandy. I only saw a handful of his games last season and I do think he has progressed. Question is, has he hit his ceiling?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-08-2014, 10:08 AM
As I said, this started because I responded to a post that called Mike Glennon a statue.

If ANYONE in the NFL can be called that it is Brady & Manning.

BOTH Brady & Manning are Drew Bledsoe with a MUCH FASTER release.

Glennon on the other hand not only can move in the pocket, but rolls out at times & throws an accurate ball when he does.............that is not a statue.

I'm not even discussing Glennon here or whether he is or is not a statue. I'm saying that Manning and Brady are not.

And they have a LOT more on Bledsoe then just a quick release.

better days
05-08-2014, 10:15 AM
I'm not even discussing Glennon here or whether he is or is not a statue. I'm saying that Manning and Brady are not.

And they have a LOT more on Bledsoe then just a quick release.

The quick release is the biggest difference between Brady, Manning & Bledsoe in regards to being sacked.

That is the reason Brady & Manning don't get sacked much & Bledsoe did.

Their footwork is NOT the reason Brady & Manning don't get sacked, it is their FAST release that is the reason for that.

And as I said, this entire statue argument started because I responded to Glennon being called a statue.

And as I said, if ANYONE in the NFL CAN be called a statue it is Brady & Manning, NOT Glennon.

better days
05-08-2014, 10:22 AM
My biggest problem with Glennon when he was at STATE was that he is horribly inconsistent. He looked good in some big games (Louisville, Clemson, FSU, UNC) then looks like a true freshman against the likes of BC, Wake, Cinci, UVa and Vandy. I only saw a handful of his games last season and I do think he has progressed. Question is, has he hit his ceiling?

I agree, like the vast majority of rookie QB's, Glennon was very inconsistent last year.

I think he has all the tools to develop into a GOOD QB if he is in the right situation.

GingerP
05-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Glennon is not a mobile QB, though. The reason the Bucs are probably looking to move on from him is their OC is Jeff Tedford, and if you look at the QBs he usually has in his offense they are all better athletes than Glennon (David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Billy Volek, A.J. Feeley,Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers). Glennon is just a poor system fit for them, which is why they could move on. It also would seem to be why they would be interested in a guy like Manziel.