X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Mike Glennon is on the block already?

Mike Glennon's tenure in Tampa Bay might last only one season. Ian Rapoport reports that if the Buccaneers draft a quarterback, Glennon could be moved for a second-round pick.

I thought he out played EJ last year.

What does that say about Tampa's QB position? Josh McCown is, after all, 35. So Tampa is likely to draft a QB high, though not likely 7th overall pick high.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Mike Glennon is on the block already?

the fact lovie smith doesn't like glennon is enough reason for me to say, "you kick the tires on glennon".

he looked good last year for a rookie. i wonder if we are witnessing the new brett favre trade. if you think it's idiotic to give up on EJ who looked pedestrian and injured. Glennon looked ok and got better as the season wore on.

Also, no way they get a second round pick for him. if teams know they want to get rid of him, i think 4th round or worse is where the trade happens.

Comment

• CleveSteve
      • Apr 2011

"NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that if the Bucs draft a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick in return for Josh McCown's backup."

I'd say that any time you can get a second round pick for a third string player at any position, you do it.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CleveSteve View Post
        "NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that if the Bucs draft a quarterback, the team is expected to shop Glennon if they can net a second-round pick in return for Josh McCown's backup."

I'd say that any time you can get a second round pick for a third string player at any position, you do it.
        Glennon was a STARTER last year.

And I have heard the Bucs would be willing to take a lower rnd pick for him.

I posted about this before & am on board for a trade of a 4th for Glennon.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post

Anybody can be a starter if there's nobody left in front of him & he's the last man standing. If we put Thad Lewis on the market someone in another city would be posting the same thing you just did, calling him a starter. Teams don't give young QBs away unless they see a serious flaw in their game. If the Bucs put Glennon on the market, they see a fatal flaw somewhere in his game, or he just doesn't fit Lovie's system.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            the fact lovie smith doesn't like glennon is enough reason for me to say, "you kick the tires on glennon".

he looked good last year for a rookie. i wonder if we are witnessing the new brett favre trade. if you think it's idiotic to give up on EJ who looked pedestrian and injured. Glennon looked ok and got better as the season wore on.

Also, no way they get a second round pick for him. if teams know they want to get rid of him, i think 4th round or worse is where the trade happens.
            Favre was something entirely different. A 2nd round pick who barely played for a bozo of a coach and the GM of GB, who when he was in the Jets front office rated Favre the best player in the draft, offering the Falcons a 1st round pick. I doubt anyone in the entire NFL had Glennon rated as the best player in last year's draft or would be offering TB a 1st rounder.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
              Anybody can be a starter if there's nobody left in front of him & he's the last man standing. If we put Thad Lewis on the market someone in another city would be posting the same thing you just did, calling him a starter. Teams don't give young QBs away unless they see a serious flaw in their game. If the Bucs put Glennon on the market, they see a fatal flaw somewhere in his game, or he just doesn't fit Lovie's system.
              Both the GM & HC are NEW & have no ties to Glennon who had the best year of any rookie QB last year.

The new HC & GM probably just want to choose their own guy.

And Thad FILLED in for an INJURED EJ Manuel & is in no way considered a starting QB.

Glennon replaced an ineffective starter & was NAMED the starting QB of the Bucs by the previous regime.
              Last edited by better days; 05-06-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                • Apr 2011

Sure... and a lot of Bucs fans will be mad if they trade him. But in the scenario from the article, the Bucs would be looking to trade Glennon for a second round pick, which would probably mean they had taken a QB in the first round... expecting him to be the starter within a season or so. They also called Mike Glennon in that article "Josh McCown's backup." I read that as "if Glennon becomes the third string QB, they would accept a 2nd round pick for him."

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Sure... and a lot of Bucs fans will be mad if they trade him. But in the scenario from the article, the Bucs would be looking to trade Glennon for a second round pick, which would probably mean they had taken a QB in the first round... expecting him to be the starter within a season or so. They also called Mike Glennon in that article "Josh McCown's backup." I read that as "if Glennon becomes the third string QB, they would accept a 2nd round pick for him."
                  I did not read the article.

I am a Bucs fan & get info on the Bucs from reliable LOCAL sources.

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

The folks in TB should take a look at what happened with the Eagles last year. Foles was picked by the prior regime and did not fit Kelly's scheme . . .

Having said that, I don't think you can say that Glennon is a sure fire long-time starter but if it were me I would go into the season with McCown, Glennon - who showed at least enough to get a second look - and a non-first round drafted rookie QB and see how it all plays out. Glennon and said rookie QB are cheap and can be developed or jettisoned down the road.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                      • Apr 2011

I did not read the article.

I am a Bucs fan & get info on the Bucs from reliable LOCAL sources.
                      Sorry, misread your message in the post.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                        • Mar 2007

How is it that everyone thinks this guy is going to be great when his play was extremely similar to EJ's? Both have question marks but it amazes me how time and time the double standard for Bills players. EJ is a bust because he was injured and struggled at times but Glennon is the next Farve because he was a starter on a team that was worse than us and put up similar numbers to our rookie bust qb. Great logic folks.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Favre was something entirely different. A 2nd round pick who barely played for a bozo of a coach and the GM of GB, who when he was in the Jets front office rated Favre the best player in the draft, offering the Falcons a 1st round pick. I doubt anyone in the entire NFL had Glennon rated as the best player in last year's draft or would be offering TB a 1st rounder.
                          of the rookies starting last year, he seemed to get it the most. granted a weak class, but he looked to have a big ben type year where he grew in the position but didn't do anything wowing. but he seems to be able to run an offense capably. something none of the other rookies were able to showcase.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                            Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                            • Feb 2006

Lovie Smith loved Rex Grossman, so there's that. I don't know what to think about Glennon, really.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

The flaw is he is a STATUE. That isn't going to change. Pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X