• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coastal
    Legendary Zoner
    • Mar 2005

coastal's Five Card Studs - 2014 Edition

Let's point out a decade long obvious... the o-line sucks! Outside of Glenn and Wood our best player is Urbik who is really nothing more than a interior rotational sub. Enough is enough.

Please Lord of all that is holy and holds dominion over the inebriated, ice-clad parking lot roamers... please let this weakness be addressed once and for all.

Amen.

Now that prayer time is over, let's get down to work on this year's version of coastal's Five Card Studs. For those who have been around for awhile, know I advocate in building strengths on a team. On the offensive side of the ball it can be argued safely and without impunity that FJax and CJ account for this team's offensive strength. One problem though... we don't have an offensive line that can consistently and on-demand help to take advantage of this strength. In fact, on many occasions our lack of talent on the offensive line has contributed to turning our strength into a weakness.

Also, a team with strengths is bound to have weaknesses. Its the job of management and coaching to minimize or hide that weakness. Right now, quarterback is considered a weakness. For all intents and purposes, EJ is entering this year as a glorified rookie given his injury issues last year. He needs to be protected this year and allowed to grow into his role as much as possible. I'm not dismissing his responsibility for producing this year, but the best way to give him that chance is to give him a league best running game.

I'm sick of taking everything but offensive linemen in the top part of the draft. We scored with Wood and then Glenn... and need to continue with that process.

This year's version of coastal's Five Card Studs is created wit hthe idea of another 1st round trade down scenario. Ideally, I'm hoping the Bills are able to trade down into the mid 20's and in the process pick up an extra 2nd round pick or better.

Lastly, thanks to you all for continuing to make this fun for me and fun for everyone else! It has been a labor of enjoyment on my part.

So without further fanfare... here is this year's version of coastal's Five Card Studs!!!

1.) Morgan Moses, OT Virginia - What? This sucks! Coastal... this is boring and not what we want! So. Look... Morgan is a bit of a risk. He's a guy that played RT for 3 years before switching to LT this year. He performed very well and shows the length and footwork for the position. What he lacks can be coached and although not overly decorated in the season ending awards arena... he did perform extremely well in the Senior Bowl in multiple positions. He's a starting RT from day 1 and this year's Ace of Diamonds!

2.) Gabe Jackson, G Mississippi State University - Do you all remember way back when when the Dolphins picked Richmond Webb and Keith Sims in the first two rounds. In doing so, they soldified one entire side of their offensive line in one draft. That side happened to play against the great Bruce Smith. From that point forward, Bruce did not have an easy time of getting to Dan. Selecting Gabe represents that same kind of thinking. Gabe is a Second Team All-American, All SEC, and Kent Hull Award recipient. This year's King of Diamonds is pushing Urbik to the bench... where he belongs.

3.) Marcus Smith, DE Louisville - Death to Fool's Gold! Just kidding... this defense needs a LEO type attacker. Jerry Hughes performed well last year, but I'm not sure he sets an edge in anyway whatsoever or is a long-term answer for the direction this defense happens to heading this year. Mario performed best lined up on the strongside. We need a weakside presence besides Hughes, thus the need to look to the draft for help and to look early. Smith has length, speed and was used in multiple ways this past year. He also was a 3rd team All-American and the 3rd selection from this year's Five Card Studs!

- - - Updated - - -

4.) Kelcy Quarles, DT South Carolina - My all-time favorite and best Five Card Stud Selection is and always will be Kyle Williams. One problem... he's got Achilles issues and is pushing the wrong side of what has been a very impressive DT career for the Buffalo Bills. Also, Marcel Dareus just had his option picked up, but outside of that... this is the Buffalo Bills and there is no guarantee he will be here long-term. The process needs to being in earnest of building depth all across this team. Its a big reason I am fully advocating another year of trading down. As far as Kelcy... put it this way... I see a lot of Kyle Williams in his game except their may be some more core power to his game than what Kyle has shown. Regardless of whether the Bills are able to land him, I'm looking forward to watching his career.

5.) Aaron Murray, QB Georgia - The QB pool needs constant refreshment. EJ very well may not be the answer. Thad... a gamer but looks like a good solid back-up. Aaron Murray on the other hand... one of the more accurate passers in this year's stable and coming off of an ACL injury. Some have said he may very well be the best QB in this year's draft class. I'm more than willing to make that gamble if he's sitting there with the fourth overall pick. Also, I am hoping OBD mgmt communication about EJ being the only guy this year is just mgmt speak. EJ also needs to know there are expectations on him and if he doesn't perform... that the organization is willing to look elsewhere every year to ensure we find someone that will. QB is too important of a position not to make that commitment each and every year.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: coastal's Five Card Studs - 2014 Edition

Nice! Love the emphasis on the trenches.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The Popcorn
      Cincinatti > Buffalo
      • Jun 2009

Jackson would push out that other G, not Urbik.
      The Popcorn and Terrell Owens are coming to a town near you.

Comment

• Jeff1220
        H to the 12:20
        • Jul 2002

I could get on board with this.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Refresh us.
          What were the last couple of years studs?

Comment

• Novacane
            • Jul 2002

I was hoping to get Moses in the 2nd round.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                Refresh us.
                His best 2 studs were Jimmy Graham and Mike Iupati... David Decastro is on track to eventually become one of the best RGs in football although taking a RG with the 10th pick is kinda high.. Id say Kelvin Sheppard was one of Coastals worst studs

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                  • Aug 2013

That would be exciting.

I think we are in good enough shape at WR (most elite teams don't actually have a top 5 NFL WR), and our defense could be elite if they weren't on the field so damn much. I can live without a TE, it is great to have but not necessary. A great O Line IS necessary.

I'm very happy with this, although I don't think Murray falls that far.

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                    Nice! Love the emphasis on the trenches.
                    He always does that. It's probably a result of the Bills doing so badly for years prior to recent. Build from the inside out. It is a good plan IMO, but the Bills haven't always felt that way.

The glaring problem with this plan is that Morgan Moses is projected to go in the 2nd. He would be a good pick-up in round #2.

LINK

Originally posted by CBS Sports
                    Who's overrated? I also asked those same personnel people for a handful of players who they think are overrated. The names that were mentioned:

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
                    Morgan Moses, T, Virginia
                    Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
                    Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame
                    Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
                    Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
                    Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
                    Jeremiah Attaochu, DE, Georgia Tech

Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

On the other side of the coin, getting Murray in anywhere from round #3 or lower would be a successful move imo. I've liked him for the past 2 years. Pat Kirwan & Pete Prisco seem to agree:

Watch video: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...-the-overrated

IDK if he will fall into the 5th. Watching where these players actually go is the fun part of the draft.

Comment

• GvilleBills
                        • Mar 2006

I like Jackson and Murray. Moses too, but not at 9.
                        Quarles smells like McCargo to me. Very similar situations.
                        Diehard BillGator... best of both worlds

Comment

• Swiper
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          Refresh us.
                          I remember he had Kyle Williams.

I also remember he had Kelvin Sheppard.

I also remember one was Mike Iaputi which he was right on. But a lot of people recognized he would be a stud guard.

It's hard to argue with taking a stud lineman so high if the guy is going to be a ten-year stalwart. Even if it is a guard or a RT. The pick would have to be a "can't miss". Iaputi was that.
                          Last edited by swiper; 05-07-2014, 05:30 AM.

Comment

• bleve
                            • Mar 2005

Fat Guys!
                            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• coastal
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bleve View Post
                              Fat Guys!
                              I like the planet theory... God made only so many fat men who happen to be athletes and can play the game of football.

it's bad enough the Ralph was built on a pile on injun' bones, but to not accept the larger athletic members of his flock into our fold early and often doesn't wreak of a good spiritual strategy for OBD.

Comment

Working...
                              X