Crisis
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
https://twitter.com/JaySkurski/status/464083680462258176

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 12:11 PM
How self-serving... :birds:

OpIv37
05-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Well duh. We all knew this 2 years ago by the way the new lease is structured.

BLeonard
05-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Not new news to anyone that's been paying attention... RWS is the 6th oldest stadium in the NFL.

3 of the 5 older than the Bills (Soldier, Lambeau and Arrowhead) have already undergone a "retrofit" process, which is a large scale renovation project, in order to remain viable.

The other two are Oakland Coliseum (Raiders) and Qualcomm Stadium (Chargers) both of which have been screaming for new stadiums for years.

-Bill

GingerP
05-07-2014, 12:28 PM
This is stating the obvious. Any new owner is going to be campaigning for a new stadium from day 1.

Thurmal
05-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Goodell wants the Bills to move so badly, and he is the type of guy who will do what he wants even if it is stupid and no one agrees with him (moving the draft, rule changes, NFL in London, etc.). That's worrisome.

better days
05-07-2014, 01:42 PM
I heard on WGR this morning that the Ralph is going to look like a new stadium with the current remodel.

That said, the State has already started with planning for the new stadium.

trapezeus
05-07-2014, 02:02 PM
i used ot be a a "the ralph is fine" person. then i went to some of the newer stadiums and i was at the blackout game a few years ago and changed my tune.

the bills need a new stadium (although i'll be curious to see what the new ralph reno's look like). the bills are an asset to buffalo and best way to help the most is to move it to downtown as a revitalization is starting.

i also think being afraid of goodell makes sense in some ways. but i think the fact the NFL knew the restrictive nature of the lease they signed AND that they approved it shows that they want the team to be in the area. they just want to take NYS out back and have their way moving taxpayer money into their hands.

better days
05-07-2014, 02:11 PM
i used ot be a a "the ralph is fine" person. then i went to some of the newer stadiums and i was at the blackout game a few years ago and changed my tune.

the bills need a new stadium (although i'll be curious to see what the new ralph reno's look like). the bills are an asset to buffalo and best way to help the most is to move it to downtown as a revitalization is starting.

i also think being afraid of goodell makes sense in some ways. but i think the fact the NFL knew the restrictive nature of the lease they signed AND that they approved it shows that they want the team to be in the area. they just want to take NYS out back and have their way moving taxpayer money into their hands.

Have you seen sight lines at any stadium that are better than at the Ralph?

I don't think you can get better than the Ralph in that Regard & would hope the new stadium has as good a view of the game as the Ralph does.

And they said on WGR this morning, people are going to be AMAZED when they see the NEW Ralph.

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Goodell wants the Bills to move so badly, and he is the type of guy who will do what he wants even if it is stupid and no one agrees with him (moving the draft, rule changes, NFL in London, etc.). That's worrisome.

What are you basing this on?

trapezeus
05-07-2014, 02:17 PM
i agree, i also think the closeness of the field to stadium is pretty amazing and provides that homefield advantage. but in terms of having food that isn't just the amark food crap...and having plenty of space to move around without being pinched at 6 gates.... these things matter. the stadium experience has changed and we are pretty far behind.

the pics of the renovations look pretty nice though i am confused why they are insisting to stay with 6 gates. but it does look a lot more navigable.

the blo news article about how the state wants a multipurpose facility connected or near by really makes me feel the like city has a chance to do something great with one of its assets. the time is now to be forward looking.

Cleve
05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
This state can't afford to be buying billionaires and millionaires big stadiums so they can line their pockets even more. We are already the highest taxed state in the US, and we're 39% higher, on average, in state and local taxes we pay than the rest of America.

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-states-to-be-a-taxpayer/2416/

And this is coming from Roger Goodell - $30 million dollar a year CEO of a "non-profit" organization that doesn't pay a DIME in corporate taxes.

better days
05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
i agree, i also think the closeness of the field to stadium is pretty amazing and provides that homefield advantage. but in terms of having food that isn't just the amark food crap...and having plenty of space to move around without being pinched at 6 gates.... these things matter. the stadium experience has changed and we are pretty far behind.

the pics of the renovations look pretty nice though i am confused why they are insisting to stay with 6 gates. but it does look a lot more navigable.

the blo news article about how the state wants a multipurpose facility connected or near by really makes me feel the like city has a chance to do something great with one of its assets. the time is now to be forward looking.

I heard with the remodel, there are going to be more & better food choices like Duffs wings.

I also heard the Stadium will be easier to get into & out of.

But I agree, a new Stadium is needed.

coastal
05-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I wish the NFL would just die.

better days
05-07-2014, 02:33 PM
This state can't afford to be buying billionaires and millionaires big stadiums so they can line their pockets even more. We are already the highest taxed state in the US, and we're 39% higher, on average, in state and local taxes we pay than the rest of America.

http://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst-states-to-be-a-taxpayer/2416/

And this is coming from Roger Goodell - $30 million dollar a year CEO of a "non-profit" organization that doesn't pay a DIME in corporate taxes.

The State & County will pay a share as will the new owner & the NFL.

Wouldn't you rather see some of your tax money spent in WNY than all of it going to NYC?

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Wouldn't you rather see some of your tax money spent in WNY than all of it going to NYC?

How dare you.

You live in a State with no income or property tax, and tell folks in NYS that they should empty their pockets more than they already do, so you can get your no-cost yucks.

Go away.

trapezeus
05-07-2014, 02:41 PM
that state money actually helps the state with getting more in taxes and could help rebuild a city that already is getting a lot of state support.

building a stadium in batavia or some nonsense is a complete waste of money. a facility that helps the waterfront, compliments what pegula is putting up for hockey heaven is a good deal for the city and the state.

Dr. Lecter
05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
How dare you.

You live in a State with no income or property tax, and tell folks in NYS that they should empty their pockets more than they already do, so you can get your no-cost yucks.

Go away.

One thing to keep in mind is that while it would cost the state and county money, it would also generate revenue.

The state income tax alone on Bills players, coaches, staff, etc. is not chump change. Throw in other taxes spent at games (i.e. sales tax, thruway tolls, etc) and it is not like it is an investment with no return

better days
05-07-2014, 02:48 PM
How dare you.

Go away.

We have property tax down here. As well as FLOOD insurance.

And we have to put up with IDIOTS down here on vacation, overcrowding our restaurants & roads.

Taxes are going to be paid anyway in NY state. About time Buffalo got some of that money collected.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Weren't they supposed to do some serious cosmetic surgery on the Ralph in the first place. IIRC there were some pics of an all glass facade with huge jumbotrons circulating about in recent months. I think its very possible that the Bills could do what the Chiefs did at Arrowhead a couple years back and the money to be spent wouldn't be too earth shattering.

stuckincincy
05-07-2014, 03:39 PM
We have property tax down here. As well as FLOOD insurance.

And we have to put up with IDIOTS down here on vacation, overcrowding our restaurants & roads.

Taxes are going to be paid anyway in NY state. About time Buffalo got some of that money collected.

Your FLOOD insurance is heavily subsidized by other U.S. taxpayers. Untold billions - from other taxpayers - rebuild your property, and billions get stolen via phony claims.

Personally, I'd saw off Florida off of the U.S. and let it drift down to Haiti.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2014, 04:04 PM

Did he tell you that himself? Because I certainly haven't heard anything from him that would give me the idea he wants the Bills to move.

better days
05-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Your FLOOD insurance is heavily subsidized by other U.S. taxpayers. Untold billions - from other taxpayers - rebuild your property, and billions get stolen via phony claims.

Personally, I'd saw off Florida off of the U.S. and let it drift down to Haiti.

Personally, I would put up a gate at the State line & charge an exorbitant amount for anyone to enter.

Especially if they were from the crap hole City in southern Ohio.

Thurmal
05-07-2014, 08:45 PM
The fact that:
1) He is a money-grubbing bastard
2) He loves fixing things that aren't broken with the NFL
3) He will never fully commit to wanting the Bills to stay. It's always, "If the Bills/fans do [blank], football could be viable in Western NY."
4) He continues to push LA, London, etc. even though virtually everyone agrees it's either unnecessary or downright stupid
5) He is a hypocrite on other issues ("We value player safety above all...but let's add another two games to the regular season!"
6) A gut-feeling that I am 90% sure is completely justified

Cleve
05-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Possibly. Though that sort of attitude is what's helped get NYS to the top of the heap in taxes nationwide.

And speaking of money to NYC - a $1.5 billion dollar replacement bridge for Staten Island

https://www.facebook.com/GovernorAndrewCuomo

TacklingDummy
05-07-2014, 09:57 PM
. "Despite $130 million in renovations this offseason, the facility lacks the amenities of most others in the NFL."

Why would you put $130 million into the old stadium if they need a new one?

Poor investment if you ask me.

TacklingDummy
05-07-2014, 10:04 PM
And speaking of money to NYC - a $1.5 billion dollar replacement bridge for Staten Island

https://www.facebook.com/GovernorAndrewCuomoheres a better one.

... Replacing the Tappan Zee bridge total cost of the New NY Bridge project is $3.9 billion, far less than initially expected.

BLeonard
05-07-2014, 10:11 PM
. "Despite $130 million in renovations this offseason, the facility lacks the amenities of most others in the NFL."

Why would you put $130 million into the old stadium if they need a new one?

Poor investment if you ask me.

Nah... $130 mil over 10 years is $13 mil a season... I'd guess that the state gets at least $20 million back per year in taxes from player salaries alone.

It also buys the county and NYS something perhaps more important... Time. A new stadium will likely take at least 5 years to get an agreement from everybody on... With Wilson gone now, you see that everyone is accelerating their plans to make things happen.

Politicians especially rarely do anything until it becomes obvious that something needs to be done... Wilson passing put the question of "what do we do when he's gone?" front and center on their plates.

-Bill

DetDannyWilliams
05-07-2014, 11:10 PM
This will not just be a stadium, It will be used for everything to concerts to auto shows and boat shows etc. and as new convention center! the City of Buffalo has been wanting a new convention center because the one now is too small and was built in 1978

BuffaloRedleg
05-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Waterfront stadium ftw

Let's fix what we should have done right a long time ago.

TacklingDummy
05-08-2014, 05:11 AM
This will not just be a stadium, It will be used for everything to concerts to auto shows and boat shows etc. and as new convention center! the City of Buffalo has been wanting a new convention center because the one now is too small and was built in 1978
So retractable dome?
I'd be fine with that.
It would make going to games in December and January enjoyable to sit through.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:17 AM
Goodell: Bills need new stadium to remain viable in WNY

DUH! Really Chumley.

What's next, is he gonna brief us on the fact that we haven't performed so well in recent years.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:18 AM

Yeah, and in the summer they can even fill it with water for an extra reservoir.

The all-in-one stadium.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:21 AM

He's off today and just had an early morning toke. Maybe he's a Buffalo transplant out in Colorado.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:26 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that while it would cost the state and county money, it would also generate revenue.

The state income tax alone on Bills players, coaches, staff, etc. is not chump change. Throw in other taxes spent at games (i.e. sales tax, thruway tolls, etc) and it is not like it is an investment with no return

It's been proven that the net flow from the people (aka taxes) to NFL teams, benefits NFL teams. Not sure about the other sports, but I'd assume that it's the same.

So unless that analysis is done in a vacuum, it actually costs a region to have a team. I'm all for the owners paying for their own stadiums. If they had to do that, the salaries of players wouldn't be so ludicrous either. Gone are the days of the '70s and even '80s where players were abusing themselves at the expense of their future health for a few hundred K per year, but it's gotten well beyond the absurd now. No one should be paid anymore than a few million a year to play a sport.

sukie
05-08-2014, 07:28 AM
We need a forum titled "No DUH" for threads like this.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:32 AM
that state money actually helps the state with getting more in taxes and could help rebuild a city that already is getting a lot of state support.

building a stadium in batavia or some nonsense is a complete waste of money. a facility that helps the waterfront, compliments what pegula is putting up for hockey heaven is a good deal for the city and the state.

The entire nation needs rebuilding, not just Buffalo. If NYS wants to rebuild its cities, then they can start by reducing the size, scope, and reach of the government thereby lessening the need for a welfare state jobs program, and make it more attractive for businesses to move there instead of just about every other state where doing business is more favorable.

From a financial perspective, maybe if the state did things to attract businesses that don't need a net inflow of tax dollars it would help rebuild. Again, from a business perspective only, how is paying to keep a business that only sucks up more net tax dollars help do this? Short answer, it doesn't.

People aren't attracted to a state and make their moving decisions because of a team, sorry.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:34 AM
We need a forum titled "No DUH" for threads like this.

We need a few forums for "No Duh" threads. Then we need a few forums for the "DUH" people too so that the rest of us can conduct a conversation civilly and without a tone of noise from people that specialize in shooting from the hip out of pure emotion.

Won't happen tho, it's too good an idea.

trapezeus
05-08-2014, 10:26 AM
The entire nation needs rebuilding, not just Buffalo. If NYS wants to rebuild its cities, then they can start by reducing the size, scope, and reach of the government thereby lessening the need for a welfare state jobs program, and make it more attractive for businesses to move there instead of just about every other state where doing business is more favorable.

From a financial perspective, maybe if the state did things to attract businesses that don't need a net inflow of tax dollars it would help rebuild. Again, from a business perspective only, how is paying to keep a business that only sucks up more net tax dollars help do this? Short answer, it doesn't.

People aren't attracted to a state and make their moving decisions because of a team, sorry.

you wouldn't be more likely to put your small business in a tax free zone close to a stadium with 60-80k on a given day 8x a year? and then to have a convention center connected to it? there would then be hotels that go up.

if they put a stadium only out in a burb, it's a bad idea. if they do it in the city. it's a good one.

the first paragraph is just a difference in politics, i suppose. you seem to be right leaning...and to me, this isn't a welfare discussion., this is a pro business decision. if you don't give a new owner putting their money a good deal, a different town will. that's the reality of a very small market of owners. they get to dictate what they want.

DraftBoy
05-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Just my opinion but I would think any new owner would want to own the stadium not have it leased to them. That way they can make even more money off it by utilizing it for other events, get the parking revenue, and other branding revenue streams.

stuckincincy
05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't think we'll ever see anything like the B'gals lease again, but they have complete say over what happens in the stadium, and just about everything else - parking concessions, etc.

Currently, the county taxpayers are going to have to fork over $10M + for a new jumbotron, and extracted the right to modify some of the stadium for their exclusive use in exchange for allowing a private building being constructed to add 4 ft. in height above that that the b'gals deem interrupts views from the stadium. The county is 100% responsible for maintenance and upkeep. In a bouple of years, lease payments to the county are halted.