PDA

View Full Version : NHL Draft discussion thread

JATMtheJATM
05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
well, since the NHL draft is rapidly approaching, and the sabres have a high end pick, figured id make an official draft thread.

kris baker (sabres prospects) made his first mock draft.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2014/04/2014-nhl-mock-draft-v1-lottery-edition.html

he has the sabres taking reinhart. one thing i saw baker notice was that reinhart is a right handed shot. apparently, the sabres are short of these. so i guess that adds value to reinhart.

coastal
05-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Yeah... if there he's pretty much gotta be the pick.

Ginger Vitis
05-07-2014, 09:00 PM
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/tor140507.html

If there is any truth to this rumour is it Ekblad the Leafs want?

JATMtheJATM
06-15-2014, 11:01 AM
http://hockeytracker.net/wordpress/2014/06/changes-on-the-horizon/

obviously, this isnt gospel. but the idea of keeping their pick in juniors another year? i like it. why waste a year?

anyways, what do you think?

DetDannyWilliams
06-15-2014, 11:52 AM
<iframe src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed?playlist=623782&site=sabres" frameborder="0" width="640" height="395"></iframe>

Kris Bakers Mock draft #30-21

DetDannyWilliams
06-15-2014, 12:00 PM
<iframe src="http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/embed?playlist=624967&site=sabres" frameborder="0" width="640" height="395"></iframe>

#20-11

Ginger Vitis
06-15-2014, 12:21 PM
http://hockeytracker.net/wordpress/2014/06/changes-on-the-horizon/

obviously, this isnt gospel. but the idea of keeping their pick in juniors another year? i like it. why waste a year?

anyways, what do you think?

Sure why not..Even though Reinhart is the most NHL ready prospect and has played 3 years of junior having him avoid the upcoming ****show isnt a bad idea. My one concern is Reinhart would be bored with another year of juniors but at least he would play at the WJC.. Everything I just said about Reinhart would apply to Ekblad as well..Speaking of the upcoming season if I was in charge of the Sabres Id start Zad off In Juniors and Risto in the AHL... Not sure what Id do with McCabe if he is eligible to play in the AHL it is 50/50 whether or not he would start the season in BUffalo

JATMtheJATM
06-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Sure why not..Even though Reinhart is the most NHL ready prospect and has played 3 years of junior having him avoid the upcoming ****show isnt a bad idea. My one concern is Reinhart would be bored with another year of juniors but at least he would play at the WJC.. Everything I just said about Reinhart would apply to Ekblad as well..Speaking of the upcoming season if I was in charge of the Sabres Id start Zad off In Juniors and Risto in the AHL... Not sure what Id do with McCabe if he is eligible to play in the AHL it is 50/50 whether or not he would start the season in BUffalo

i, too, would keep reinhart in the WHL, not because hes not ready, but because the team isnt ready. on the other hand, if he plays, it accelerates his development slightly for the 15-16 season, which should see another high prospect come in, and perhaps a leap in play, whole team wise. so im torn.

as for zad, if hes ready, hes ready, but i doubt he will be yet. id start risto and mccabe in the AHL and let them get their feet a little more wet. nothing wrong with being cautious when it comes to the kids. grigo and armia will also be in the AHL next year.

DetDannyWilliams
06-15-2014, 02:14 PM
God I'm loving Murray more and more... Murray said a few teams have talked to him about trading down in the draft, but he said they won’t make him an offer. The GM said he will go no further down the 7th overall.

DetDannyWilliams
06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Sabres GM Tim Murray says he’d like to pick up another first-round draft pick to add to the second overall pick he already has.

"I can’t imagine I would trade the second overall pick," Murray said. "I’d like to get a couple of more first-round picks and I have those three third-rounders to us. I certainly know you can’t trade a second for a first, but you might take some money back in a deal to do that and I do have to get to the [cap] floor. There are different ways to get to the floor so I’m exploring all that."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31442/rumblings-spezzas-value-panthers-coach?ex_cid=espnapi_public

coastal
06-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Yeah... I read they would trade for someone another team wants to do the buy-out on along with getting their first round pick... and then do the buy-out ourselves?

That's crazy money.

Skooby
06-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Yeah... I read they would trade for someone another team wants to do the buy-out on along with getting their first round pick... and then do the buy-out ourselves?

That's crazy money.

Does this mean we trade our higher-pick for a lower pick & a player we buy out?

coastal
06-15-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't know honestly.

JATMtheJATM
06-16-2014, 10:39 AM

no.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2014/06/buffalo-sabres-2014-draft-preview.html

draft preview by kris baker. has alot of good insight to the depth of the sabres system.

Downinfloflo
06-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Sabres would have to keep what ever contracts they bring back.. (No big deal really)

You can't buy out anyone you trade for, You are stuck with that contract unless you can trade it again or it runs out.

JATMtheJATM
06-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Sabres would have to keep what ever contracts they bring back.. (No big deal really)

You can't buy out anyone you trade for, You are stuck with that contract unless you can trade it again or it runs out.

no, they can use their compliance buy outs on recently traded for players.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_McKenzieandDreger_June12.mp3

Downinfloflo
06-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Yes....Regular buyouts, Where it would count against the cap.

The Islanders are still paying for Yashin, He has a cap hit of $2.2m and it's been 7 years since he played for the team.

SkateZilla
06-16-2014, 02:46 PM
You can thank the sabres for humiliating him in the playoffs that year, and Nolan for putting him in the dog house.

Hmmm... Ironic Eh?

JATMtheJATM
06-16-2014, 03:53 PM
Yes....Regular buyouts, Where it would count against the cap.

The Islanders are still paying for Yashin, He has a cap hit of $2.2m and it's been 7 years since he played for the team. so then yes they can trade for bad contracts and buy them out.

Downinfloflo
06-16-2014, 04:30 PM
so then yes they can trade for bad contracts and buy them out.

Yep...They would have to eat the cap hit that comes with it.

Compliance buy outs don't count against the cap.

JATMtheJATM
06-16-2014, 06:35 PM
From the sounds of it, the Sabres can use their compliance buyouts on traded players. Its why ville leino may MAY not get bought out.

Downinfloflo
06-17-2014, 01:15 AM
I've been looking into it, Sound's like Buffalo will take guys you want to buy out and keep them just to get to the cap floor ($14m) under at the moment.

They would want draft picks as well for being the NHL's garbage contract holders.

Apparently, Buffalo may be willing to trade for your compliance buyout candidates, provided you are willing to trade your first round pick for one of their 3 second round picks.
It is actually a strangely effective way for them to hit the cap floor and gain Picks. They are like 14 million away from the cap floor, and could take several contracts other teams do not want(Within reason I am sure. No 6 year huge contracts, etc).

For instance, San Jose could trade them Havlat(5 million a year cap hit, 1 more year) and their 20th overall 1st round pick for the Buffalo 2nd round 32nd overall.

trapezeus
06-17-2014, 07:25 AM
this seems a little complex, but to me the sabres had two options.
1. look at free agency and see if there are gems in the tier 2 level of player and overpay for them to at least get some leadership and goal scoring onto the team.
or
2. they could do this trade for a player a team doesn't want, take the contract and buy them out to get to the cap.

case 1 allows for the team to try and be competitive next year.
Case 2 says, "we are just fine sucking next year. we want our picks to pan out to ready to go, top end talent."

if they really are leaning on case 2 to be the way to get to the floor, next year will blow. i kind of knew that anyways, but i was hoping we could field a team of young talent and a couple guys the nhl gave up on and make a classic buffalo inspired run. oh well.

coastal
06-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Edmonton is looking for two defensemen... one a north south puck mover.

Is Myers in play?

GreedoII
06-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Living in the Philly area I will be attending this event with high hopes and expectations....I expect wheeling and dealing...

The Jokeman
06-17-2014, 08:19 AM

Is Myers in play?

It depends, what's Edmonton giving us back? If it's a draft pick in 2014 then I don't want it. If it's a player the only guy I'd consider would be Taylor Hall but doubt he'd be dealt.

JATMtheJATM
06-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Is Myers in play?

He is in play from what I've read. But the return would have to be a huge haul. Murray knows that myers is a major asset.

- - - Updated - - -

Is Myers in play?

He is in play from what I've read. But the return would have to be a huge haul. Murray knows that myers is a major asset.

Ginger Vitis
06-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Interesting video i thought Ekblad interviewed well he didn't get defensive or flustered when put on the spot 1) Ekblad claims he is working on his foot speed this summer if he can improve it he could be Shea Weber like 2) A couple of the Sabres brass suggested to him what is being said about him in NHL circles that he may be maxed out physically..I would think over the next 5 years he should be able to get to 230 pounds 3) Murray claimed awhile ago he wasn't sure Ekblad was "dynamic" enough to go No.1 and he point blank asked Ekblad if he was content to be rock solid and steady or would he take chances and be impactful and dynamic every night

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=624915

mightysimi
06-18-2014, 12:29 PM

Would you take Yakopov or Eberle and a 1? Gagner and a couple of picks? No way Hall or RNH go in any deal.

JATMtheJATM
06-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Would you take Yakopov or Eberle and a 1? Gagner and a couple of picks? No way Hall or RNH go in any deal.

i would take eberle and a 1, absolutely. but, im not murray, sadly.

but i think thats the type of haul murray and the sabres are looking for if they move myers. so i dont see it happening.

The Jokeman
06-19-2014, 05:07 PM
i would take eberle and a 1, absolutely. but, im not murray, sadly.

but i think thats the type of haul murray and the sabres are looking for if they move myers. so i dont see it happening.

Eberle with Edmonton's 1st this year and Myers and a couple of our 2nds this year is something I'd consider based on talent but it's hard to make as give us a big hole at D if Ekblad goes #1 and not sure it really gives us the cap hit we're looking for.

JATMtheJATM
06-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Myers has a great contract too.

The Jokeman
06-19-2014, 08:52 PM
Myers has a great contract too.

That's the whole thing everything in reading into Murray's wanting a second 1st Round trade talk tells me he's looking to bring in an overpriced veteran to make a deal and I just can't see us moving Myers' large contract for an equally big one. As it does little to help us reach the salary floor which is seems like the obvious ploy we're making when talk about trading for a vet.

JATMtheJATM
06-19-2014, 11:43 PM
That's the whole thing everything in reading into Murray's wanting a second 1st Round trade talk tells me he's looking to bring in an overpriced veteran to make a deal and I just can't see us moving Myers' large contract for an equally big one. As it does little to help us reach the salary floor which is seems like the obvious ploy we're making when talk about trading for a vet.

if myers is moved, its not going to be for a mid first and a vet. its going to be a massive bounty. after his slow start, myers REALLY played well. he showed his enormous upside and he was playing really well.

coastal
06-20-2014, 06:27 AM
I have this sneaking suspicion that Vinny Lecalvier is going to be a Sabre.

JATMtheJATM
06-20-2014, 10:00 AM

he has a NTC, i believe.

The Jokeman
06-21-2014, 07:45 AM

Vinny always reminded me of Pierre Turgeon in he puts up great numbers but has never been a great player. After last season not sure his numbers will ever be great again.

swiper
06-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Central Scouting still has Sam Bennett listed as their top player.

NHL scouting exec says Sam Bennett is #1

Howard Simon

howard@wgr550.com

<article>
If Aaron Ekblad is selected with the first pick in Friday's NHL draft, the Buffalo Sabres will then be in a position to grab the player tabbed as best in class by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau.

Kingston Frontenacs center Sam Bennett was first in the final rankings of draft eligible skaters in North America. The 6 foot, 178 pound Bennett was also Central Scouting's top choice in their mid term ranking.

Central Scouting Director Dan Marr was a guest on WGR on Tuesday and outlined Bennett's many attributes.

"He has high end skills and his skating is top end as well" Marr said. "He’s got the skills that allow him to be a difference maker, a game changer. His offensive hockey sense, it always stands out because he’s always a scoring threat. He’s got a finishing touch. We feel he’ll be able to influence a game like Jonathan Toews where he’ll elevate his game and rise to the occasion."

</article>
Bennett had career highs this season in goals(36), assists(55), points(91), power play goals(10), plus-minus(+34) and penalty minutes(118). In a poll of Ontario Hockey League Eastern Conference coaches, Bennett was named smartest player, best playmaker and best stick handler.

http://www.wgr550.com/NHL-scouting-exec-says-Sam-Bennett-is-1/19279202

swiper
06-25-2014, 05:15 AM
Marr went on to say that he would not be surprised if Leon Draisaitl went number 1 overall.

NHL rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

tampabay25690
06-27-2014, 07:33 AM
I think tonite will be exciting.
Don't be shocked to hear that the Sabres move out of the #2 spot.

- - - Updated - - -

Marr went on to say that he would not be surprised if Leon Draisaitl went number 1 overall.

NHL rankings: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

You might be right but if FL trades out of the #1 pick.

don137
06-27-2014, 08:50 AM
One rumor is Vancouver trading up with Florida and taking Reinhart. If that happens I could see the Sabres trading down one or two spots and picking up a player or maybe swapping one of the Sabres lower second round pick for a higher second round pick.

The Jokeman
06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
I think tonite will be exciting.
Don't be shocked to hear that the Sabres move out of the #2 spot.

- - - Updated - - -

You might be right but if FL trades out of the #1 pick.

If Sam Reinhart is available and we trade down I'll be upset as he's the only guy in the draft I want. I'm okay with getting someone else if we can bring in a proven 40-50 point veteran forward back with another pick in the 15 pick.

Ginger Vitis
06-27-2014, 11:52 AM
If Sam Reinhart is available and we trade down I'll be upset as he's the only guy in the draft I want.

Same here

Ginger Vitis
06-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Elliotte Friedman reporting Canucks and Anaheim close to a deal to send Kesler to the Ducks.. Canucks then will push hard to get to No1. overall

mightysimi
06-27-2014, 12:37 PM
Elliotte Friedman reporting Canucks and Anaheim close to a deal to send Kesler to the Ducks.. Canucks then will push hard to get to No1. overall

Bonino, Sbisa and 24th overall pick. Also looks like Buffalo keeping the #2 pick

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=30192&navid=nhl:topheads

tampabay25690
06-27-2014, 12:41 PM
If Sam Reinhart is available and we trade down I'll be upset as he's the only guy in the draft I want. I'm okay with getting someone else if we can bring in a proven 40-50 point veteran forward back with another pick in the 15 pick.

I do know they are NOT in luv with any of the guys.
Still tossing around scenarios.
I know the media said they have a GUY already locked in but the truth is they are open for moving.
I know I posted a while ago but they are really trying to load up for next years draft. Not saying that's what will happen tonite but that is a possibility.
I was told that it could get exciting tonite, you may see the Sabres stick at #2 then trade 2nd round picks to get in top 5 again along with some cash...

Dr. Lecter
06-27-2014, 12:49 PM
It is not just the media saying that. Devine said that this week on WGR.

coastal
06-27-2014, 12:52 PM
Reinhart Dal Colle

The Jokeman
06-27-2014, 01:27 PM
I do know they are NOT in luv with any of the guys.
Still tossing around scenarios.
I know the media said they have a GUY already locked in but the truth is they are open for moving.
I know I posted a while ago but they are really trying to load up for next years draft. Not saying that's what will happen tonite but that is a possibility.
I was told that it could get exciting tonite, you may see the Sabres stick at #2 then trade 2nd round picks to get in top 5 again along with some cash...

I have no issues moving the any or all of our second rounders we have for either a proven vet or another 1st or even a combo of the two. Yet moving from #2 hurts if lose out on a top 6 forward that could step in immediatly as I feel Reinhart can. In terms of moving from 2, I'm not a fan of us getting Ekbland (since we have a pretty good D group) so if Reinhart is gone and we get an offer to move out from 2 am all for it as long as we get value for it and to me value is a top 6 forward and a pick in the top 15.

The Jokeman
06-27-2014, 01:32 PM
Bonino, Sbisa and 24th overall pick. Also looks like Buffalo keeping the #2 pick

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=30192&navid=nhl:topheads

Hmmm with Vancouver having pick #6 and pick #24 I wonder if Murray would move down from two to get those two 1st Rounders? As to me that's something I'd consider but only if Reinhart's gone.

tampabay25690
06-27-2014, 04:22 PM
It is not just the media saying that. Devine said that this week on WGR.

Tom I think this is a very interesting spot for Murray.

The pre draft meeting last nite what I wrote was stated.
As of today they still don't know what will be done tonite!!!!!!!

Don't be surprised if someone jumps to #1

End of the day I think there is a 30% chance that the Sabres move out of #2 spot!

swiper
06-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Darren Dreger (https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/482542469733564416): Doesn’t sound like the Sabres or Oilers are interested in trading the 2nd or 3rd overall draft picks.

Buffalo Sabres (https://twitter.com/BuffaloSabres/status/482549007664050176): Sabres GM Tim Murray said he's trying at acquire veteran help through a trade to help with their culture.

John Vogl (https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/status/482595939886981120): Sabres GM Tim Murray has talked to the agents of Steve Ott and Matt Moulson.

swiper
06-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Michael Traikos (https://twitter.com/Michael_Traikos/status/482562178268934144): Hearing that Leon Draisaitl is the top selection for a lot of teams.

Do the Sabres take Ekblad if he falls to #2?

DetDannyWilliams
06-27-2014, 04:51 PM
WGR Florida keeping #1

swiper
06-27-2014, 04:54 PM
WGR Florida keeping #1

Nick Kypreos (https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/482643140663197698): The Panthers are sitting on decent offers, but would like teams to sweeten the pot for the first overall pick. One offer is believed to be from a mid-range team, possibly the Flyers?

George Richards (https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/status/482641081037639680): Speculation, but one Philly source thinks the asking for the first overall pick is too high for the Flyers. They are still looking to move up.

DetDannyWilliams
06-27-2014, 05:02 PM
<button class="user-actions-follow-button js-follow-btn follow-button btn" type="button" style="color: rgb(41, 47, 51); font: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-color: rgb(245, 248, 250); border: 1px solid rgb(225, 232, 237); padding: 4px 12px 9px; border-top-left-radius: 4px; border-top-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-right-radius: 4px; border-bottom-left-radius: 4px; font-weight: bold; position: relative; vertical-align: top; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; "> Follow</button>

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/378800000722315620/0773fee28970344f7262cb9976ff8ca6_bigger.pngJohn ShannonVerified account‏<s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(177, 187, 195); ">@</s>JSportsnet (https://twitter.com/JSportsnet)

Tallon tells Sportsnet that he's at 80 per cent to keeping the pick.

Retweeted by WGR 550 (https://twitter.com/WGR550)
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/482309906163187712/ubVxAuXQ_normal.jpegGeorge Richards @GeorgeRichards (https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards) · 10m (https://twitter.com/GeorgeRichards/status/482647421491875841)

Unless a new offer -- or better one comes along -- <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">#</s>FlaPanthers (https://twitter.com/hashtag/FlaPanthers?src=hash) source says they are going to keep the top pick in <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(102, 181, 210); ">#</s>nhlDraft (https://twitter.com/hashtag/nhlDraft?src=hash)

swiper
06-27-2014, 05:09 PM
It's all last minute posturing.

coastal
06-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Reinhart or Draistl?

SpikedLemonade
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Sam Reinhart.

Why not?

snow1989
06-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Its Reinhart

SpikedLemonade
06-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Not a lot of Sabre fans here on-line right now.

DetDannyWilliams
06-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Danny Gare on WGR "Sabres have their next Gilbert Perreault"

SpikedLemonade
06-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Tim Murray = Socially Awkward.

tampabay25690
06-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Son of Sam it is..
Time to build this team!!

Skooby
06-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Short & sweet, he's probably a little teed off on having the worst record & picking 2nd, we should of gotten a compensatory pick for getting bumped.

SpikedLemonade
06-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Short & sweet, he's probably a little teed off on having the worst record & picking 2nd, we should of gotten a compensatory pick for getting bumped.

Get ready for next year when the Sabres are not drafting #1 overall after a very bad season.

The NHL and the steel industry have conspired against the City of Buffalo.

The Jokeman
06-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I compared him to Dwight Schrute in another thread and stand by the comparison. As he always seems like he is angry and/or knows more then anybody else. That said I think he's an ideal no nonsense GM who seems to have a plan in place to make this a better team.

coastal
06-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Reinhart needs 10 pounds of muscle added to him... or more.

If he adds that and continues to develop, I see him as a number two center ala Patrice Bergeron.

SpikedLemonade
06-27-2014, 06:37 PM

If he adds that and continues to develop, I see him as a number two center ala Patrice Bergeron.

He will need to learn to play D at an elite level for that to happen.

It is sad that he is being projected at a #2 centre.

Not a great year.

coastal
06-27-2014, 07:10 PM
He will need to learn to play D at an elite level for that to happen.

It is sad that he is being projected at a #2 centre.

Not a great year.
Agreed he has to learn to play D at an elite level. I think he's honestly a year away from playing in the NHL.

SpikedLemonade
06-27-2014, 07:14 PM
Central Scouting ranked Sam R. #1 in hockey sense this year.

The Jokeman
06-27-2014, 07:16 PM

I've heard Zetterberg and Towes comparisons, I like Bergeron but love if he became one of the first two more.

coastal
06-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Central Scouting ranked Sam R. #1 in hockey sense this year.
I like smart players... stupidity on the ice is a pet peeve of mine.

Phaneuf.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard Zetterberg and Towes comparisons, I like Bergeron but love if he became one of the first two more.
What's not to like about any of them, but I am just so partial to Patrice's game.

Dr. Lecter
06-27-2014, 07:20 PM
Zetterberg might be my favorite player in the league.

I like the comparison

coastal
06-27-2014, 07:31 PM
I also dont like people that arent nice.

He doesnt strike me as nice.

Dr. Lecter
06-27-2014, 07:33 PM
I also dont like people that arent nice.

He doesnt strike me as nice.

I think he is just a very business centered person. He does not care about the show things like announcing a pick.
Belicheck is not nice.

Would you want him coaching the Bills?

Nice is overrated.

coastal
06-27-2014, 07:39 PM
no... I wouldn't want Belichick coaching any team I was associated with.

I value people and their commitment to an organization not because of their production, but because they deserve it... because of their commitment.

That's where I start.

ckg927
06-27-2014, 09:31 PM
Get ready for next year when the Sabres are not drafting #1 overall after a very bad season.

The NHL and the steel industry have conspired against the City of Buffalo.

You forget one small detail: We own the Isles #1 pick in 2015. If the Isles REALLY bring....THE STINK!...and finish dead last next season...they're in prime position to get the #1 pick. Which comes to Buffalo.

Ginger Vitis
06-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Reinhart will be a elite No.2 Centre if the Sabres get McDavid or Eichel or Barzal next year.. He wont be a elite No.1 but he can be a good No.1 Centre for the sabres someday

Ginger Vitis
06-27-2014, 10:45 PM
Sabres have there choice of any goalie they want with the 31st pick or they should consider defensemen Roland Mckeown who would be good value projects to be a good No.5 defensemen

coastal
06-28-2014, 05:41 AM
Here's my next two picks for the Sabres..

Brendan Lemieux
Roland McKeown

ckg927
06-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Sabres have there choice of any goalie they want with the 31st pick or they should consider defensemen Roland Mckeown who would be good value projects to be a good No.5 defensemen

Speaking of goalies...there's at least a few that are available now:

Linus Soderstrom(Sweden): Good physical tools & size. One scout compared him to fellow goalies Mason MacDonald and Kaapo Kahkonen in size, style and ability to move around the net.

Alex Nedeljkovic(Plymouth/OHL): Backstopped the US to gold at the most recent U-18 tourney, despite not being part of the U.S. NTDP squad. Technical side of his game isn't strong, yet he's still able to makes saves when needed. One scout said if he was 2 inches taller(he clocks in at 6' even), he'd be a first rounder.

Mason MacDonald(Charlottetown/QMJHL): Tall, has a quick glove, and whatever issues he has are correctable.

Brent Moran(Niagara/OHL): Consistency is the key problem with Moran's game-some games he's a world-class goalie, and others he's capable of stinking out the joint. (He did have a good end to the season and had solid play in the IceDogs' short run in the playoffs.) However, keep in mind that Moran played quite a few games in the antiquated(and now no longer in service)Jack Gatecliff Arena, which has a ice surface 10 feet shorter than the standard hockey rink-and that makes it tougher to get a read on a goalie.

Ginger Vitis
06-28-2014, 06:19 AM
Speaking of goalies...there's at least a few that are available now:

Linus Soderstrom(Sweden): Good physical tools & size. One scout compared him to fellow goalies Mason MacDonald and Kaapo Kahkonen in size, style and ability to move around the net.

Alex Nedeljkovic(Plymouth/OHL): Backstopped the US to gold at the most recent U-18 tourney, despite not being part of the U.S. NTDP squad. Technical side of his game isn't strong, yet he's still able to makes saves when needed. One scout said if he was 2 inches taller(he clocks in at 6' even), he'd be a first rounder.

Mason MacDonald(Charlottetown/QMJHL): Tall, has a quick glove, and whatever issues he has are correctable.

Brent Moran(Niagara/OHL): Consistency is the key problem with Moran's game-some games he's a world-class goalie, and others he's capable of stinking out the joint. (He did have a good end to the season and had solid play in the IceDogs' short run in the playoffs.) However, keep in mind that Moran played quite a few games in the antiquated(and now no longer in service)Jack Gatecliff Arena, which has a ice surface 10 feet shorter than the standard hockey rink-and that makes it tougher to get a read on a goalie.

Interesting Demko isn't on that list.. Out of the 4 goalies you mentioned I like Mason MacDonald the best

chernobylwraiths
06-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Interesting Demko isn't on that list.. Out of the 4 goalies you mentioned I like Mason MacDonald the best

That's what I was thinking.

Anybody have any thinking on Josh Ho-Sang? They've been talking about him on the radio the latter part of the week a lot.

chernobylwraiths
06-28-2014, 07:11 AM
Jeez, that whole switch from NBC to the NHL network had me miss this pick. Looks like the Islanders are all in, gosh I hope they suck.

Ginger Vitis
06-28-2014, 07:14 AM
That's what I was thinking.

Anybody have any thinking on Josh Ho-Sang? They've been talking about him on the radio the latter part of the week a lot.

Wish Ho Sang had slipped into the 2nd Round would be very tempted to take him at 31.. Top 15 offensive talent he slid because of attitude problems

The Jokeman
06-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Here's my next two picks for the Sabres..

Brendan Lemieux
Roland McKeown

Lemieux has the name but if I'm taking a Winger, I'd prefer Spencer Watson, as he seems like a sniper who I think be great paired with Reinhart. Toss in one report I read compared him to Jeff Skinner which is something the Sabres could definately use.

tampabay25690
06-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Sabres very active this am...
Murray trying to get a team to jump to 31..
They were very close getting back in 1st round yesterday.

gebobs
06-28-2014, 08:13 AM
Danny Gare on WGR "Sabres have their next Gilbert Perreault"
Sure thing, Danny. Go get yourself another Labatt.

chernobylwraiths
06-28-2014, 08:44 AM
It's Lemieux!

- - - Updated - - -

I HATED his father.

coastal
06-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Awesome!

gebobs
06-28-2014, 08:47 AM
It's Bring-You-Son-To-The-Draft Day this year.

chernobylwraiths
Awkward for when Rob Ray, who beat the crap out of his dad, interviews Lemieux.

coastal
Our first two players were bred for this game.

DetDannyWilliams
06-28-2014, 08:50 AM
would the Sabres take a local kid this year again? Sabres fan favorite Donald Audette has his son Daniel in this years draft, Perhaps another Turgeon in Buffalo? or maybe another Ramsey? Sabres took two local kids last year in Justin Bailey and Sean Malone.

https://p9cdyw.bay.livefilestore.com/y2pl8RAopsAb4IcIa_i_LP_KTvDu1ML2-jm8oiiUkT5PNDOZgXcKYlWMdmoEyva6vKCjEX7oS_fvTbw50NpXb7eKxilTGqIiqypyc-vakur2QdzWorLROIeLBZYzBLr2ENl/header-350x60-local-prospects-left.pnghttps://p9cdyw.bay.livefilestore.com/y2p6SOug4Z1DpKEb_GioNpn5WMCZmmTOsBy8iNWdZ-R6-B0VQQEwITOyc3rU_s3nWR8eyWKnquFjmQBl81sWMTvBqeZy_Vwq_wkBAKy_lUTK0BSbIjZbSKD2w7UdatAelV0/header-350x60-local-prospects-right.png

LOCAL TIES AMONG DRAFT-ELIGIBLE PROSPECTS

CSS Ranked Prospects

<thead class="thead" style="color: rgb(224, 224, 224); font-weight: bold; font-size: 10pt; ">

CSS
(http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1697835#)

Pos.

Prospect

Team

Ht.

Wt.

Local/Team Ties

Mediawatch

</thead><tbody>

LD

Luc Snuggerud (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196703)

Eden Prairie

6'0"

Uncle: Dave Snuggerud

1 (http://www.letsplayhockey.com/awards/reedlarson-award/2174-luc-snuggerud-of-eden-prairie-named-winner-of-reed-larson-award.html)–2 (http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014-nhl-draft/2014/6/11/5800108/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-luc-snuggerud)–3 (http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/nhl-entry-draft-profile-luc-snuggerud-among-small-group-of-high-school-prospects/)

LC

Daniel Audette (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=128505)

Sherbrooke

5'8"

Father: Donald Audette

1 (http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=705710)–2 (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-daniel-audette-sherbrooke-phoenix-173804812.html)–3 (http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/nhl-entry-draft-profile-daniel-audette-has-father-donalds-size-different-style/)

LC

Dominic Turgeon (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120642)

Portland

6'1"

Father: Pierre Turgeon

1 (http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/nhl-entry-draft-profile-dominic-turgeon-close-to-fulfilling-promise-he-made-to-himself/)–2 (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-dominic-turgeon-portland-winterhawks-153455066.html)

LC

Niki Petti (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=189372)

Belleville

5'11"

Hometown: Welland, ON

1 (http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/04/15/petti-hopeful-heading-into-nhl-draft)

RD

Frank Hora (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=190654)

Kitchener

6'1"

Hometown: Cheektowaga, NY

1 (http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/4195611-rangers-may-be-wobbly-but-hora-has-been-solid/)–2 (https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-frank-hora-kitchener-rangers-165219464.html)

RW

Jack Ramsey (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195477)

Penticton

6'2"

Father: Mike Ramsey

1 (http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/sports/222603111.html)

NR

LD

Nate Billitier (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=168700)

USNTDP

5'10"

Hometown: Spencerport, NY

</tbody>

The Jokeman
06-28-2014, 09:30 AM
would the Sabres take a local kid this year again? Sabres fan favorite Donald Audette has his son Daniel in this years draft, Perhaps another Turgeon in Buffalo? or maybe another Ramsey? Sabres took two local kids last year in Justin Bailey and Sean Malone.

This is Tim Murray's Sabres and have a feeling he looking at talent and talent only. He doesn't seem to be want to warm the crowd by taking a local talent unless he is a quality player and meets a need.

JATMtheJATM
06-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Login the swede goalie pick.

DetDannyWilliams
06-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Harrington tweet...hearing Sabres shopping Enroth, trying to get a veteran player that will be on the roster this year, If the Sabres do move Enroth look for them to sign Hackett to backup Neuvirth

ckg927
06-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Harrington tweet...hearing Sabres shopping Enroth, trying to get a veteran player that will be on the roster this year, If the Sabres do move Enroth look for them to sign Hackett to backup Neuvirth

My quicker tweet: Deeds, not words.

The Jokeman
06-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Meh! At least Enroth is a proven back up, Hackett is just potential but have a feeling he won't live up to it. Of the three I like Neuvirth best be a 50-60 game starter.

Ginger Vitis
06-28-2014, 01:17 PM
look for them to sign Hackett to backup Neuvirth

Good.. that goalie combo makes it more likely they will finish in last place

Ginger Vitis
06-29-2014, 06:44 PM
LastWordonSports does their grades based on value at each pick whether they think a pick is a good value or a slight/massive reach.. They give the Sabres a A+ for their draft..

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1699251

Bleacher report gives the Sabres a A
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2113161-2014-nhl-draft-grades-full-results-and-overall-franchise-scores

At ESPN Insider they allow non subscribers to look at one teams draft grade and it is Buffalo you can see.. A great writeup on Sam Reinhart.. Corey Pronman of ESPN gives the Sabres a A and Frank Provenzo gives the Sabres a A+

don137
06-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Murray said on hockey hotline on WGR that Bennett was their second choice and if Reinhart taken number one they would of tried to trade with Calgary down to four and take Bennett.

JATMtheJATM
06-30-2014, 09:50 AM
i dont know how closely anyone here pays attention to the site "last word on sports" but here is their draft grades.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/06/29/lwos-2014-nhl-draft-grades/