05-07-2014, 05:48 PM
http://mobile.buffalonews.com/?articleRedirect=1

whkfc
05-07-2014, 05:50 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/?stopMobileRedirect=1

BLeonard
05-07-2014, 06:29 PM
Interesting quote from Poloncarz there:

As evidence of this commitment, consultants have been retained on behalf of the state and county to prepare options for the consideration of prospective owners that will include (1) a new stadium to be constructed at one or more possible locations and (2) the further renovation or retrofit of Ralph Wilson Stadium beyond the renovations currently being undertaken.

Interesting that a retrofit would be on the table (but, really, all options should be at this point)... Just wondering, with RWS being built partially underground (I'm right on that, right?) how different a retrofit project would be, compared to above ground stadiums that have had it in recent years (Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, Arrowhead Stadium).

If they go that route, there's a chance that the Bills would have to play elsewhere for a season, while the retrofit is taking place, as the Bears did... The Carrier Dome would be an interesting venue for a season, especially if they wanna play the "Regionalization" card...

-Bill

BillsImpossible
05-07-2014, 06:34 PM
The commish is making it clear as winter in Buffalo.

Get a stadium built within the next 10 years or else.

The Jokeman
05-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Interesting that a retrofit would be on the table (but, really, all options should be at this point)... Just wondering, with RWS being built partially underground (I'm right on that, right?) how different a retrofit project would be, compared to above ground stadiums that have had it in recent years (Soldier Field, Lambeau Field, Arrowhead Stadium).

If they go that route, there's a chance that the Bills would have to play elsewhere for a season, while the retrofit is taking place, as the Bears did... The Carrier Dome would be an interesting venue for a season, especially if they wanna play the "Regionalization" card...

-Bill
Ideally the Bills should put the stadium downtown and/or on the waterfront as to me I think coupled with the Sabres work downtown it could really start making downtown a great place to go again. The only problem with that is you'd lose out on the tailgating that the current stadium provides. Damned if we do damned if we don't.

YardRat
05-07-2014, 09:14 PM

-Bill

I obviously don't know any details regarding the structural state of the main bowl (field and lower level), but I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to raze what is currently above ground and build from there up, resulting in basically a 'new' stadium. The determining factor would of course be (as it is in any construction project) the overall cost of a massive re-build vs just starting from scratch. Many times it's cheaper to just go new from the start.

BLeonard
05-07-2014, 10:03 PM
I obviously don't know any details regarding the structural state of the main bowl (field and lower level), but I would imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to raze what is currently above ground and build from there up, resulting in basically a 'new' stadium. The determining factor would of course be (as it is in any construction project) the overall cost of a massive re-build vs just starting from scratch. Many times it's cheaper to just go new from the start.

Yeah, I don't really see why it would be much of a difference, just more of a curiosity of mine. Obviously, early signs are it can be done, or it likely would have been ruled out as an option already.

I'm wondering what the chances are of an option C: Building a new stadium on the current site, like the Vikings are doing.

I would think it would be, as it's entirely possible that one of the "locations" could be the current site... Might make sense financially, as the Fieldhouse and outdoor practice field are right there as well.

Of course, again, that probably means the Bills have to play a year or two in the Carrier Dome or something, but I could see things working out that way.

-Bill

WagonCircler
05-07-2014, 10:53 PM
They could do it Yankee Stadium style. Build it across the street. The Cincinnati Reds did that, so did the St Louis Cardinals.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Ideally the Bills should put the stadium downtown and/or on the waterfront as to me I think coupled with the Sabres work downtown it could really start making downtown a great place to go again. The only problem with that is you'd lose out on the tailgating that the current stadium provides. Damned if we do damned if we don't.

So you're going to go downtown just to look at the stadium 357 days a year?

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but stadiums are locked when they're not in use.

Fletch
05-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I don't really see why it would be much of a difference, just more of a curiosity of mine. Obviously, early signs are it can be done, or it likely would have been ruled out as an option already.

I'm wondering what the chances are of an option C: Building a new stadium on the current site, like the Vikings are doing.

I would think it would be, as it's entirely possible that one of the "locations" could be the current site... Might make sense financially, as the Fieldhouse and outdoor practice field are right there as well.

Of course, again, that probably means the Bills have to play a year or two in the Carrier Dome or something, but I could see things working out that way.

-Bill

"Can be done" and financially feasible are two different things. Sounds like a political hot potato/carrot of sorts. The issue is a double-edged sword.

The WNY politicians are going to be taking enormous heat if they burden taxpayers more for it. Downstaters are going to be heavy-handed on state politicians if they do it. Obviously the emotional element of people in WNY favors it, but not so in downstate.

I suspect that if it gets done, we can look at another 1 or 2% hike in the sales tax in both NYS and Erie County, or whichever county has the stadium.

The Jokeman
05-08-2014, 12:09 PM

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but stadiums are locked when they're not in use.

Modern day stadiums have restaurants or stores etc and/or do other things then just have football games at them. Heck even the Ralph hosts things like the Connect a Million Minds activities etc. which aren't football related at all.

Don't Panic
05-08-2014, 12:16 PM

-Bill

I'd have to assume the new build is the ideal and that all efforts will go in that direction. However, if we manage to keep the team and do a $400 million retrofit, I'd have to think the best business plan would be to play 4 in Syracuse and 4 in Toronto for the vacated year.

Typ0
05-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Carrier dome is too small for the Bills...we'd break the place.

DetDannyWilliams
05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
They could do it Yankee Stadium style. Build it across the street. The Cincinnati Reds did that, so did the St Louis Cardinals.

can't! the property across the street from the stadium is owned by Erie Community College and is part of their South campus and have their own stadium built.

Saratoga Slim
05-08-2014, 06:39 PM
One overlooked question in this whole new stadium business is how it affects the Bills' finances. If a new stadium or massive retrofit goes through, sure, some portion will be publicly funded, and there will likely be some contribution from the NFL's stadium fund as well. But the Bills will also be responsible for a large chunk. To give a ballpark idea, the Vikings are responsible for ~$477 million of the budgeted $975 million for their new stadium.

If I recall, we had an operating profit of like $13 million last year. Saddle us with $477 million of stadium costs to pay off, and I'd have to imagine that would eat heavily into our currently small profit margin. Which of course means less money for things like, you know, players.

I'm no accountant, but just my two cents.

stuckincincy
05-08-2014, 06:42 PM
One overlooked question in this whole new stadium business is how it affects the Bills' finances. If a new stadium or massive retrofit goes through, sure, some portion will be publicly funded, and there will likely be some contribution from the NFL's stadium fund as well. But the Bills will also be responsible for a large chunk. To give a ballpark idea, the Vikings are responsible for ~$477 million of the budgeted $975 million for their new stadium.

If I recall, we had an operating profit of like $13 million last year. Saddle us with $477 million of stadium costs to pay off, and I'd have to imagine that would eat heavily into our currently small profit margin. Which of course means less money for things like, you know, players.

Depends on the deal. The Bengals are financially responsible for...the playing field. That's it. Not a thing more.

I'm no accountant, but just my two cents.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Have some concerts there perhaps, maybe an MLS team, and if you pop a retractable roof on that you can get some nice conventions in town. Also, build up an entertainment district around the stadium and the Sabres arena and make Buffalo something of a destination city.