PDA

View Full Version : FYI: NFL Draft History Tracker

stuckincincy
05-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Here's the link for tracking draft selection histories, sortable by team, position, year, etc. Handy reference if you're interested...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2004

Buffalogic
05-08-2014, 12:53 PM
Look how many top ten tackles just turned out to be awful players. Drating OT in the top 10 is a fools game.

Mr. Pink
05-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Look how many top ten tackles just turned out to be awful players. Drating OT in the top 10 is a fools game.

I think tackles come second to only QBs in terms of busting horrendously.

Tony Mandarich and Robert Gallery were supposed to be once in a generation type of players that were can't miss, safe, offensive line cornerstones and ended up being colossal failures.

And in this draft, where we pick, we're talking about getting the third or fourth best T in the draft class. That's just not something smart to do with your first round pick when it's in the top 10.

The Jokeman
05-08-2014, 01:18 PM
I think tackles come second to only QBs in terms of busting horrendously.

Tony Mandarich and Robert Gallery were supposed to be once in a generation type of players that were can't miss, safe, offensive line cornerstones and ended up being colossal failures.

And in this draft, where we pick, we're talking about getting the third or fourth best T in the draft class. That's just not something smart to do with your first round pick when it's in the top 10.
I'm admit I'm partial to building a better O-line and almost every year I call for us to take an OT and yet for every Madarich and Gallery there are Jonathan Ogden and Walter Jones. Then there's the D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Trent Williams and Russell Okungs (ie solid guys you draft and forget about). If you study hard usually offensive lineman don't bust as much as you think. The thing that hits me about the top 3 OTs in this draft is that they grade out better than the one's that were taken in top 4 last year. I'll admit I was hesitant about Lewan before the combine as read into his problems this year but he stepped up and showed he was as athletically gifted as Robinson and Matthews which tells me he isn't a bad pick at 9 as his stock fell during the year or maybe Robinson's stock increased is a better thought. Yet ultimately if we think Glenn is our long term solution at LT we're better off getting a TE that's the caliber of Ebron as yes it's a bit of an over draft but the skill set he brings we need and yes there's a possibility we can get an likely get ideal RT in Round 2 of the draft. Yet I really question Cordy long term. He's proven me wrong so far as thought he'd struggle at LT as a pro but been solid since drafting him and hopefully he continues and we can re-sign him otherwise I'll be mad at losing a guy like Lewan.

The Jokeman
05-08-2014, 01:23 PM

Here's a list of the last 10 drafts and OTs in the top 10, I've bolded the "busts" to me the odds of busting don't seem too high to me.

2013 1 1 1 1 Eric Fisher Chiefs Central Michigan
2 1 2 2 Luke Joeckel Jaguars Texas A&M
3 1 4 4 Lane Johnson Eagles Oklahoma

2012 1 1 4 4 Matt Kalil Vikings USC

2011 1 1 9 9 Tyron Smith Cowboys USC

2010 1 1 4 4 Trent Williams Redskins Oklahoma
2 1 6 6 Russell Okung Seahawks Oklahoma State

2009 1 1 2 2 Jason Smith Rams Baylor
2 1 6 6 Andre Smith Bengals Alabama
3 1 8 8 Eugene Monroe Jaguars Virginia

2008 1 1 1 1 Jake Long Dolphins Michigan

2007 1 1 3 3 Joe Thomas Browns Wisconsin
2 1 5 5 Levi Brown Cardinals Penn State

2006 1 1 4 4 D'Brickashaw Ferguson Jets Virginia

2004 1 1 2 2 Robert Gallery Raiders Iowa

2003 1 1 8 8 Jordan Gross Panthers Utah

stuckincincy
05-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Yet ultimately if we think Glenn is our long term solution at LT we're better off getting a TE that's the caliber of Ebron as yes it's a bit of an over draft but the skill set he brings we need and yes there's a possibility we can get an likely get ideal RT in Round 2 of the draft.

FWIW, Ohio St. T Jake Mewhort should be in the 2nd round RT mix. OSU ball is splattered on my tv every Saturday - he's a decent prospect.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664169/jack-mewhort

Buffalogic
05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Maybe bust was harsh. How about, not worthy of a top 10 pick considering who was drafted around them. Also, a lot of these guys aren't even on the team that drafted them.

The Jokeman
05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
FWIW, Ohio St. T Jake Mewhort should be in the 2nd round RT mix. OSU ball is splattered on my tv every Saturday - he's a decent prospect.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664169/jack-mewhort

Mewhort to me is more of a third round material. Guys we could see in play in Round 2 I predict are Cyrus Kouandjio or one of the guys from Tennessee in Antonio Richardson or JuWuan James

stuckincincy
05-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Mewhort to me is more of a third round material. Guys we could see in play in Round 2 I predict are Cyrus Kouandjio or one of the guys from Tennessee in Antonio Richardson or JuWuan James

You may be right. I think James gets an earlier call, and I'm skeptical about 'Bama players.