PDA

View Full Version : Top10 WRs over the past 10years

Kenny
05-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Frankly, Im starting to love the Watkins pick more and more.

Some big hits and some misses... but it looks like top picked WR's are generally trending towards being studs.
Bolded names are busts, though I think guys like Ted Ginn and Mike Williams were both extreme reaches when they were picked.

Tavon Austin (8)
Justin Blackmon (5)
AJ Green (4)
Julio Jones (6)
Dez Bryant (24) [I know... not a top 10, but IMO he only dropped because of character issues]
Michael Crabtree (10)
Calvin Johnson (2)
Ted Ginn Jr (9)
Braylon Edwards (3)
Troy Williamson (7)
Mike Williams (10)
Larry Fitz (3)
Roy Williams (7)
Reggie Williams (9)

Buffalogic
05-08-2014, 08:43 PM
I think the rookie WR not making an impact thing is going to keep fading away. There is too much passing in the NFL now for that to be a continued trend. I think most first round receivers will make teams better now and going forward.

Buffalo Thriller
05-08-2014, 08:51 PM
If EJ fails this year it's gonna be hard to blame anyone but him.

better days
05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
If EJ fails this year it's gonna be hard to blame anyone but him.

Well, there would be enough blame to put some on Hackett as well.

And if the Bills don't draft a RT, some blame could go there as well.

But yeah, EJ needs to step it up this year or else.

Uncle Jesse
05-09-2014, 10:02 AM
The good thing is, Watkins was in the conversation with the AJ Greens, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant guys, where he was far and away the best WR there, where the guys like Austin, and Ted Ginn where not even close to this highly touted. Multiple teams did not have those guys as the #1 guy on their board.

The Jokeman
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
The good thing is, Watkins was in the conversation with the AJ Greens, Julio Jones, Dez Bryant guys, where he was far and away the best WR there, where the guys like Austin, and Ted Ginn where not even close to this highly touted. Multiple teams did not have those guys as the #1 guy on their board.

When you picture the most physically gifted and dominating receivers in today’s NFL, the list goes something like this: Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon and Demaryius Thomas. They are the best of the best, true nightmare matchups, players for whom defensive coordinators must tailor their game plans.

What do they have in common? They are all extremely strong on the ball in contested scenarios, and each is a perfect blend of size, speed and overall athletic ability. And did I mention size? All of the aforementioned but Bryant and Andre Johnson measured 6-foot-3 or taller at their respective combines. And those two—who aren’t exactly smurfs at a combine-measured 6-foot-2—have vertical jumps of at least 38 inches (not to mention 34-inch arms) that allow them to play even bigger.

Watkins is being talked about as a sure-fire top-10 pick in next month’s draft, perhaps even a top-five pick, which means people are expecting him to have the same impact as today’s top receivers. Yet he stands a mere six-feet and three-quarters of an inch, with 32-inch arms, and has a pedestrian 34-inch vertical. Which means Watkins will have to break the mold in order to live up to the hype.
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/15/sammy-watkins-clemson-nfl-draft/

EDS
05-09-2014, 10:50 AM

Ouch.

Don't Panic
05-09-2014, 11:02 AM

That was a great piece. I think Watkins is going to be an outside the mold WR in the NFL, at least for the time being. I don't really see his comparable out there. Boldin, who was cited in the article, was never as good as he is at this point. I think he's going to be a tough one to gameplan against... not in the same way that all the elite guys they mentioned are, but in a totally unique way.

Kenny
05-09-2014, 11:03 AM
Justin Blackmon maybe? Similar build, and despite off the field problems, he was looking to be the next elite WR.

HAMMER
05-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Game planning for Spiller and Watkins is going to be tough, Clemson track team.