PDA

View Full Version : The Bills were willing to give up making the playoffs in 2014 to obtain Watkins.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Sounds reasonable. I'm disgusted. I love Sammy Watkins but I dislike very much what it took to get him. If EJ sucks again this year, this team will be set back 5 years because of this stupid decision.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Russ-Brandon-We-made-a-bold-move/3b340387-cd0a-4198-890c-02d08a1a5c2e

Q: Were you more willing to give up next year’s number one pick because of the ownership change and nobody knows what the future holds?
RB: Not at all. From that standpoint, we’ve been very upfront about that. It’s business as usual. I’m not worried about anything relative to the sale of the franchise when it comes to the football operation. When it comes to how we go about our day to day business and everything we do, it’s business as usual. This trade was made as a football decision that is focused on the 2014 season.
DW: To answer it in football terms, we’re willing to give up not making the playoffs again for Sammy. That’s what we looked at it as. We want to make the playoffs, so being 14 and not making the playoffs, that is the tradeoff we expected

swiper
05-09-2014, 12:49 AM
I guess I feel the same. Love the player. Don't love what we gave up. Even if I liked Manuel (which I don't), it doesn't make a lot of sense. 2013 - 2 high round WRs, Mike Williams, Now Watkins. We had Stevie Johnson. And, oh yeah, if you want to throw in the 3rd that Nix wasted on TJ Graham in 2012.

If they had a proven franchise QB, you couldn't complain about it. But, again, even if you like Manuel, he's fragile. And they don't have any veteran QB to back-up. Hate giving up that #1 for any WR with the QB situation they have.

BLeonard
05-09-2014, 02:54 AM
Pretty sure you're misreading it... Your title says:

The Bills were willing to give up making the playoffs in 2014 to obtain Watkins.

Whaley actually said:

we’re willing to give up not making the playoffs again for Sammy.

Worded very funny, I'll admit, but the intent, as I read it, was that they plan to make the playoffs.

Couple other quotes support this theory:

"We’re building our roster now and granted you hate giving up number one picks, but we thought what he brings to us now is worth the low one that we’ll be giving up next year."

Q: You said you were giving up a low first round pick, is that a guarantee of the playoffs?
DW: That’s not a guarantee. I’m saying we expect it to be low.

A "low pick" obviously meaning later in the round, meaning that the Bills had made the playoffs, or at least improved significantly from 6-10.

Personally, I'm not happy with what they gave up, but ultimately, the success or failure of the trade won't be determined until we know where that 2015 1st rounder is... If it's in the top 10 (again) then it's safe to say it probably wasn't worth it... But, if it's in the 20's, it becomes much more palatable.

One thing is for sure: There will be no reason to root for losing for a better draft pick this year...

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2014, 02:57 AM
I don't know. The way it's worded, it looks to me like he's saying they were willing to not make the playoffs in 2014 to draft Watkins.

BLeonard
05-09-2014, 03:06 AM
Then, your thread title is wrong:

Thread Title Says: The Bills were willing to give up making the playoffs in 2014 to obtain Watkins.
Whaley's quote: The Bills were willing to give up not making the playoffs in 2014 to obtain Watkins.

See the difference...?

Again, very oddly worded by Whaley, but it's pretty clear, based on his other quotes in the presser that they intend to make the playoffs in 2014.

-Bill

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2014, 03:17 AM
Either way. I think they gave up too much because I think they have way too much faith is EJ. If EJ doesn't make the jump to the next level, we as fans are in for a hurting without next years first. Another 3-5 years of being the laughing stock of the NFL.

BLeonard
05-09-2014, 03:27 AM
I don't know. The way it's worded, it looks to me like he's saying they were willing to not make the playoffs in 2014 to draft Watkins.

First, to a fanbase that hasn't seen the playoffs in 14 seasons, essentially conceding that they wouldn't make the playoffs would be about the dumbest thing he could say, especially after giving up the team's first rounder in 2015...

Second, it doesn't jive with the other quotes that I mentioned:

Q: How do you feel about giving up next year’s first round pick?
DW: Very high cost. We thought it was a calculated risk and a risk we were willing to take. The high costs not making the playoffs is something we weighed in and we thought this guy was going to get us to the playoffs. We think for us, the Bills organization, Mr. Wilson and the Bills nation out there, it was well worth it.

We’re building our roster now and granted you hate giving up number one picks, but we thought what he brings to us now is worth the low one that we’ll be giving up next year.

If he was saying "we're not making the playoffs in 2014,' then the pick they would be giving up in 15 would be a high pick, not a "low one."

Q: You said you were giving up a low first round pick, is that a guarantee of the playoffs?
DW: That’s not a guarantee. I’m saying we expect it to be low.

Reiterating the above point... A "low" pick would be later in the round, meaning that the Bills were significantly better on the field.

Q: Do you feel your job is on the line if you don’t make the playoffs?
DW: I’m a competitor and call me crazy, I like those odds.

Again, if he had just told everyone, "we're not making the playoffs in 2014," why would him being a competitor and liking the odds matter...?

Bottom line that we can very likely agree on: You don't make this kind of move, trading away a 1st rounder next year, unless you feel that pick will be later in the round.

That's what I feel Whaley was getting at: They were willing to make the trade, potentially mortgaging the future, because the felt that getting Watkins would make that risk worth taking.

Again, if the Bills make the playoffs, or at least come close, the pick will be in the middle or lower part of the round, making it less valuable, making thee trade to get Watkins to elevate your team to that spot more worth it.

If they don't and are picking in the top 10 again, Whaley and co. look like idiots for trading away the pick, when it didn't have an effect on the results on the field.

-Bill

BLeonard
05-09-2014, 03:29 AM
Either way. I think they gave up too much because I think they have way too much faith is EJ. If EJ doesn't make the jump to the next level, we as fans are in for a hurting without next years first. Another 3-5 years of being the laughing stock of the NFL.

This, we can agree on. Hell, Whaley and Brandon probably have their doubts too... But, they certainly aren't gonna tell everyone about them now, when they just dealt next year's #1 away.

-Bill

ICRockets
05-09-2014, 03:37 AM

But don't we want them to have faith in EJ? Don't we want them to make decisions based on having a positive attitude about our chances to turn it around? I'd much rather have a front office that comes at it from a point of optimism than one that says "god, we suck, we need to play it safe and just try to incrementally suck less each year."

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2014, 03:50 AM
But don't we want them to have faith in EJ? Don't we want them to make decisions based on having a positive attitude about our chances to turn it around? I'd much rather have a front office that comes at it from a point of optimism than one that says "god, we suck, we need to play it safe and just try to incrementally suck less each year."

Sure they should... but they shouldn't have traded away the safety net for 1st round QB if EJ stinks it up again in 2014.

Meathead
05-09-2014, 03:58 AM
it looks to me like he's saying they were willing to not make the playoffs in 2014 to draft Watkins.

how would getting the best wr in the draft prevent them from making the playoffs this coming season?

i think bill is right, it was an awkward tongue in cheek way to say the bills expect to make the playoffs this season and thus the pick they gave up will be a late first rounder. if thats the case then yeah the trade was probably worth it. if not and the bills end up in the top ten picks again next season, this trade could look like a total disaster

Meathead
05-09-2014, 04:00 AM
still dont know what 'being 14' means. is that a reference to 2014, which is this coming season? very strange couple of sentences

billsfanryan
05-09-2014, 04:14 AM
Sure they should... but they shouldn't have traded away the safety net for 1st round QB if EJ stinks it up again in 2014.

Regardless of this trade there was 0% possibility that this team took a qb in the first round next year. Nfl teams don't draft qbs in the first round and give up on them after 2 years.

I don't see this as mortgaging the future so much as going and getting a game changing elite talent. To me, mortgaging the future is what Washington did for RGIII and they may have ruined the guys career already.

ICRockets
05-09-2014, 04:25 AM

You understand this makes no sense, right?

"I'm glad they're making bold moves to get the players they believe will make this team the best version of the Buffalo Bills they can be, but did they have to make such bold moves to get the players they believe will make this team the best version of the Buffalo Bills they can be?"

Meathead
05-09-2014, 05:04 AM
tbh theres no doubt in my mind this move probably doesnt happen if the bills had a stable ownership situation. that doesnt mean it wont end up being a great move, it just means for whaley and brandon theres almost no advantage to playing it safe right now and everything to gain by going for a homerun

why would you sit there and take an OT/WR at 9 and then somebody in next years first round where BOTH guys are likely to need at least one season to develop, when you can get a guy that can start right now (watkins)? yes, youre trading two potential starters for one, but youre getting that one as a starter right now

considering the reality of the ownership situation, i would feel stupid if i were whaley or brandon and didnt make this move

Historian
05-09-2014, 05:09 AM
Well put Hal.

YardRat
05-09-2014, 05:20 AM
No RT = no playoffs. They better hope they get a guy today that can step in and play well immediately, or that somebody like Hairston is healthy and becomes the second coming of Ron Yary or Jackie Slater.

Turf
05-09-2014, 05:32 AM
I think their wording got all messed up, and its a double negative.

If we had Luck at QB, everyone would be doing backflips over this. So as we all know, the real elephant is the room is EJ at QB, which they are remiss to address.

Forward_Lateral
05-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Am I the only one on the planet that thinks they didn't give up that much? I was expecting this year's 1st, 2nd and 3rd along with next year's 1st.

I was against moving up for Watkins for that very reason. When I saw they only gave up next year's first and 4th, I was more than OK with it.

Forward_Lateral
05-09-2014, 06:20 AM
and the 9th overall pick this year. It WAS a lot. I love his talent, but don't forget who's throwing him the ball.

The QB is irrelevant, IMO. Worst case scenario: EJ sucks and isn't the answer, and the next QB has all the weapons in the world to help him succeed. I would, however, be happy if the Bills got a viable option behind EJ in case he gets hurt, or doesn't progress.

I'm not sure if Thad is that guy or not. I think Thad's ceiling is set at backup.

The Popcorn
05-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Pretty safe to say we're not making the playoffs anyways.

Exactly!!!! There isn't a player in this draft that would make that difference either.

The Popcorn
05-09-2014, 06:36 AM
No RT = no playoffs. They better hope they get a guy today that can step in and play well immediately, or that somebody like Hairston is healthy and becomes the second coming of Ron Yary or Jackie Slater.

Morgan Moses would be a nice pick for the Bills.

SquishDaFish
05-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Come on dude you think they would actually say they wouldn't make playoffs this coming season???? I love the move they didn't give up too much at all. I would be pissed if they have up a second this year and first next

Meathead
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
still dont know what 'being 14' means.

after seeing the comment in several contexts i believe hes referring to fourteen years out of the playoffs. as in 'here we are in year fourteen so its time to throw caution to the wind' kinda deal

HAMMER
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Hurkey Jerky only sees bright shiny objects, speak slowly so he understands.

BertSquirtgum
05-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Hurkey Jerky only sees bright shiny objects, speak slowly so he understands.

Dumb post.

coastal
05-10-2014, 06:21 AM
Well put Hal.
But... but... he's black.

Jry44
05-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Well, duh! They just took the guy a year ago in the first round! Why wouldn't they have faith in him?!? You don't take a guy with a first round pick that you don't have faith in!

I get that most fans didn't like what they saw in Ej last year, but thankfully the football people that are running the show think more logically than the fans and media, and know that you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT evaluate a guy based on 10 starts in the NFL. Especially considering how injured the WR position was last season.

I'm not at all saying that I'm expecting EJ to be great this year, before that gets thrown at me. But I'm also not willing to say that he will have a terrible career in the NFL yet because the answer to that is that I honestly do not know yet because we haven't seen enough. And to be honest..... how in the hell are you giving the kid a chance to succeed if you're not willing to give him some talent and protection in which to be successful?! We saw just as much good from EJ last year ( Carolina game, 2nd Jets game. First Jets game where he brought us back) as we did bad ( Bucs game, taking dumb hits, which I think he learned from and will help with his injuries). So at least give the damn kid a chance before we go on labeling him a bust!

Jry44
05-10-2014, 06:35 AM
Am I the only one on the planet that thinks they didn't give up that much? I was expecting this year's 1st, 2nd and 3rd along with next year's 1st.

I was against moving up for Watkins for that very reason. When I saw they only gave up next year's first and 4th, I was more than OK with it.

I agree. They basically gave up a 1st rounder for what some believe is a once a decade WR. There's no guarantee that Sammy will become that, but there's also just as much of a guarantee that next years pick wouldn't be another Aaron Maybin. I have no problems with it.....

better days
05-10-2014, 10:06 AM

NO, Whaley said the Bills were willing to give up NOT making the playoffs with this trade.

In other words, they EXPECT to make the playoffs this year with the trade for Watkins.

better days
05-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Well, duh! They just took the guy a year ago in the first round! Why wouldn't they have faith in him?!? You don't take a guy with a first round pick that you don't have faith in!

I get that most fans didn't like what they saw in Ej last year, but thankfully the football people that are running the show think more logically than the fans and media, and know that you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT evaluate a guy based on 10 starts in the NFL. Especially considering how injured the WR position was last season.

I'm not at all saying that I'm expecting EJ to be great this year, before that gets thrown at me. But I'm also not willing to say that he will have a terrible career in the NFL yet because the answer to that is that I honestly do not know yet because we haven't seen enough. And to be honest..... how in the hell are you giving the kid a chance to succeed if you're not willing to give him some talent and protection in which to be successful?! We saw just as much good from EJ last year ( Carolina game, 2nd Jets game. First Jets game where he brought us back) as we did bad ( Bucs game, taking dumb hits, which I think he learned from and will help with his injuries). So at least give the damn kid a chance before we go on labeling him a bust!

And EJ has said he has looked at EVERY play he played last year & critiqued himself, both the good & the bad.

He also organized practices with guys on the team in the off season. That is LEADERSHIP.

I think if Drew Bledsoe worked as hard as EJ, he would have been a much better QB.

Instead, he went back to Montana ALL off season & Chilled.

doug45
05-10-2014, 12:42 PM

When you are half way into your second decade of not making the playoffs I guess they just get use to it in the front office. And without a great QB and no #1 next year I guess they will just keep the tradition going!!

doug45
05-10-2014, 12:44 PM
And EJ has said he has looked at EVERY play he played last year & critiqued himself, both the good & the bad.

That would not be too hard because he was out hurt most of the time, so there were not too many plays to look at!

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 01:26 PM

Well it was pretty obvious last year that he sucks but I hope he turns it around.

Jry44
05-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Well it was pretty obvious last year that he sucks but I hope he turns it around.

The only really obvious thing EJ showed anyone last season was that he had to learn how to protect himself from taking unnecessary hits in the nfl. Other than tgat, we have absolutely no idea as to how he's going to pan out at this point...

alohabillsfan
05-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Having faith in your QB is one thing, having zero insurance policy is just stupid! It was a blunder pure and simple.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Having faith in your QB is one thing, having zero insurance policy is just stupid! It was a blunder pure and simple.

Any QB drafted today would not of been an insurance policy. He would be a developmental guy.

BuffaloRedleg
05-10-2014, 04:44 PM
hahahahaha Hurkey are you serious? This thread is amazing.

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 07:26 PM
hahahahaha Hurkey are you serious? This thread is amazing.

So I take it you didn't read the quote and just commented?

SquishDaFish
05-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Hurkey you know damn well you read that quote all wrong so get over it. Just delete this thread or change the damn title. He didnt say give up on the playoffs next season.

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Hurkey you know damn well you read that quote all wrong so get over it. Just delete this thread or change the damn title. He didnt say give up on the playoffs next season.

Yeah, I know I did but anyone that can't admit that it's worded like a ****** spoke it is an idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

Hurkey, remember that conversation we had about doubling down on your stupidity? DBP is wise, you should heed his advice, despite what the goyim on here tell you.

Go play with some terrorists.

BuffaloRedleg
05-11-2014, 02:46 AM
So I take it you didn't read the quote and just commented?

No I did, and you are totally wrong.

For ****s sake take it like a man. It's going to happen from time to time.

BuffaloRedleg
05-11-2014, 02:49 AM
Go play with some terrorists.

Is that a comment on him being in Afghanistan?

I feel like an argument over Buffalo Bills football shouldn't get so personal, but uhh, stay classy.

BertSquirtgum
05-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Is that a comment on him being in Afghanistan?

I feel like an argument over Buffalo Bills football shouldn't get so personal, but uhh, stay classy.

It was actually a dig towards him because I don't believe he is there. How else could anyone fighting in afghanistan have so much internet play time?

and I always thought this was pretty obvious......

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s379/bhurtgam/nofs1_zps549655fe.jpg