PDA

View Full Version : You Can Make Up The 1st Rounder Next Spring In UFA

Night Train
05-09-2014, 05:05 AM
I like the bold move to get Watkins. Best O skill player, by far. Evans, Beckham and Ebron were not in his league. He was a star as a Freshman and the Bills got their man. They didn't settle for so called " value ". Not all players are the same. He was the only receiver I could see but I didn't think they would do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAtpALKLXs

In a different era, the Bills paid more for a LB ( Bennett ) and it worked out. I'm seeing lots of bubble screens to pull up the safety. I'd have Goodwin lined up on the other side to take the top off the D. Woods running his crisp patterns.

This sure looks exciting as hell. Whaley is swinging for the fences and I for one like it. Continue the good news tonight and Saturday.

X-Era
05-09-2014, 05:15 AM
I like the bold move to get Watkins. Best O skill player, by far. Evans, Beckham and Ebron were not in his league. He was a star as a Freshman and the Bills got their man. They didn't settle for so called " value ". Not all players are the same. He was the only receiver I could see but I didn't think they would do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAtpALKLXs

In a different era, the Bills paid more for a LB ( Bennett ) and it worked out. I'm seeing lots of bubble screens to pull up the safety. I'd have Goodwin lined up on the other side to take the top off the D. Woods running his crisp patterns.

This sure looks exciting as hell. Whaley is swinging for the fences and I for one like it. Continue the good news tonight and Saturday.
:clap:

Absolutely can replace what you deem you lost. If EJ is the answer I'm fine with this move. OL can be had later in the draft and we will come out of this draft with either a starting OT or OG IMO.

Forward_Lateral
05-09-2014, 05:52 AM
I love it too. As I said in another thread, I was against moving up for Watkins because I thought they'd have to give up most of this year's picks. That wasn't the case, and I'm pretty happy to be honest. The offense now has 5 legitimate WRs.

Night Train
05-09-2014, 06:02 AM
I love it too. As I said in another thread, I was against moving up for Watkins because I thought they'd have to give up most of this year's picks. That wasn't the case, and I'm pretty happy to be honest. The offense now has 5 legitimate WRs.

I did hear the TV talking heads state SJ might be on his way out and it's probably being considered. High cap fig and 4 new WR's ( Woods, Goodwin, Williams & Watkins ) have been aquired in the last 12 months.

Wouldn't surprise me if SJ is being offered for a pick.

Turf
05-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Exactly. You can supplement the #1 loss in free agency, or even with some bizarre trade.

YardRat
05-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Hopefully they make up the lack of two starting offensive linemen before this season begins, first.

kscdogbillsfan1221
05-09-2014, 06:10 AM
well, now that revis is back in the division, i'm against trading s. johnson. he does usually play pretty well against revis

X-Era
05-09-2014, 06:12 AM
Hopefully they make up the lack of two starting offensive linemen before this season begins, first.
As I said in the other thread I think we still get one starter from this draft and then you still have later UFA signings or signings from cuts, the Hairston angle (I know we both really liked him as a starter), and the possibility that Whaley was right about Chris Williams.

If I had it my way I'd like to see us land A Richardson/Moses/Kouandjio and Jackson/Martin/Yankey

And the icing to me would be landing Seastrunk, Max Bullough, and Taj Boyd along with ASJ.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-09-2014, 06:23 AM
Like I said before, I like Watkins, but against moving 1st picks because you never know what happens next year, particularly for less established teams. Who thought Houston would finish last in 2013? Who thought Atlanta, with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones to start the year, would go 4-12? Who thought with Peyton Manning on the team, Indy would EVER go nearly winless before they draft Luck?

This game is unpredictable, particularly with the nature of injuries. IF the Bills wound up dead last (e.g. EJ hurt or bombed, Mario hurt, rash of injuries returned to guys like Kyle, Gilmore etc. Marcell suspended) in the coming season, and there were a Luck type of QB coming out, you bet people are calling for Whaley's head because no FA are going to take care of that scenario.

Granted, you never plan for that scenario to happen, still it is a 1/32 chance and the percentage for the Bills is a lot higher. Your 1st round pick is your disaster insurance. The Bills, for 2015, has no insurance right now.

SquishDaFish
05-09-2014, 06:32 AM
If if if if. I love this move we never are aggressive love it

Don't Panic
05-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Could we get a 3rd for Stevie or is that too rich for anyone's blood? Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin is all we really need.

X-Era
05-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Could we get a 3rd for Stevie or is that too rich for anyone's blood? Watkins, Woods, Williams and Goodwin is all we really need.
I really want Stevie to stay where they want him... in the slot. Watkins and Williams/Woods on the outside.

Woods can come in on 4 WR sets and Mike Williams may be a short term rental only due to the contract.

I'd like to keep Stevie and have outstanding depth; injuries always happen.

But cut Graham. Hell, do it right now. J/K. Why not take him through camp.

The Jokeman
05-09-2014, 09:29 AM
I did hear the TV talking heads state SJ might be on his way out and it's probably being considered. High cap fig and 4 new WR's ( Woods, Goodwin, Williams & Watkins ) have been aquired in the last 12 months.

Wouldn't surprise me if SJ is being offered for a pick.

and we'll be lucky to get a 5th Rounder for Stevie.

bdutton
05-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Trade Stevie for whatever you can get for him. His 2014 production is sure to go down further lowering the bargaining power the Bills have. Plus, I'm tired of his childish antics that costs field position/games.

Meathead
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
why in the world do ppl want to get rid of stevie? unless they start bumping up against serious cap problems theres no reason to push him out the door and a ton of good reasons to keep him

biggest is youve got a rock solid 1-2-3 and can use those three in any order. watkins is obviously your long term wr1 bc he has both the draft position and best potential skills to be that kind of guy. woods and stevie are both terrific 1b type players who can run every route. in 3wr sets youre already winning the db matchups

goodwin is more of a specialty receiver, most likely always will be, but still should be able to exploit lower level dbs. bearded black williams will be a big fat question mark until he shows he isnt and thats gonna take far into the season to figure out. tj graham appears to be the ugly step-child but if hes going to finally emerge as a playmaker his third season is his best shot to put it all together

if they can get a decent pick for stevie, say for a fourth with escalators, then consider it. but as it is theyve got the deepest set of five wrs and probably the best top three in the league. they should be able to put pressure on pass defenses all season. why mess with that when you dont have to

The Jokeman
05-09-2014, 09:56 AM
If if if if. I love this move we never are aggressive love it

Really? Did you forget the trade to get RJ? or the one to get JP Losman or John McCargo?

bdutton
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
why in the world do ppl want to get rid of stevie?

I'm tired of his childish antics that costs field position/games.

He's his own worst enemy that has cost the team games. He has more value now than he will at the end of next season. Plus, he's getting paid 3.65 million this year and 5.5 million in 2015 and 5.85 million in 2016. Money we will need to resign CJ for example.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-09-2014, 10:06 AM
why in the world do ppl want to get rid of stevie? unless they start bumping up against serious cap problems theres no reason to push him out the door and a ton of good reasons to keep him

Exactly. Every year people complain we never have depth at any position, and now that we have depth people want to unload him for a piddling mid round pick. WTF? Why?

Don't Panic
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM

and we'll be lucky to get a 5th Rounder for Stevie.

We must be lucky... apparently not too rich for San Francisco's blood.

The Jokeman
05-09-2014, 02:50 PM
We must be lucky... apparently not too rich for San Francisco's blood.

If the 49ers make their typical playoff runs etc their 4th is what three or four picks away from being a 5th Rounder? Kudos to the Bills to proving me wrong but I still think we had a better group of WRs prior to the draft than we do now. I can't wait for Watkins to prove me wrong.

Don't Panic
05-09-2014, 03:40 PM
If the 49ers make their typical playoff runs etc their 4th is what three or four picks away from being a 5th Rounder? Kudos to the Bills to proving me wrong but I still think we had a better group of WRs prior to the draft than we do now. I can't wait for Watkins to prove me wrong.

Stevie>Watkins? Not sure about that one... time will tell.

Night Train
05-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Stevie>Watkins? Not sure about that one... time will tell.

Wadkins isn't 21 until next month, is twice as fast and doesn't have lingering groin issues.

sudzy
05-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Your assuming that this team will be active in UFA. And the advantage the Bills have in the draft over UFA is the players don't get a choice. There are UFA that won't go to Buffalo and the Bills have to overpay the ones that will.

Night Train
05-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Your assuming that this team will be active in UFA.

I don't have to assume anything. The last couple off-seasons has produced a lot of FA signings..far more than the Bills norm.

It now needs to translate to the field in winning.