PDA

View Full Version : Whaley sticks his neck out

ghz in pittsburgh
05-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Overall, I'm a little surprised he did this move from his conservative scouting upbringing and mentoring (both the Steelers and the Bills). I'd say it truely is a new era with young CEO and young GM at the helm. I seriously doubt Wilson or Nix would allow this kind of move.

I have reasonable confidence that Watkins is as good as advertised - a #1 receiver. I'm sure if the Bills have any slight ounce of doubt of Watkins' ability or character issues, they are not pulling this move.

On paper the Bills have elite talent (opposing teams would game plan for) on every main line except one:
D-Line - Mario Williams; Linebacker - Kiko Alonzo; secondary - Gilmore.

Receiving - Watkins; Running backs - Spiller; O - Line - no super stars but better than solid guys Wood/Glenn.

QB remains the biggest question mark.

Whaley's remark that Watkins will make our QB better yesterday says it all -- he's expecting a Bengels model with Dalton at the QB position. Dalton's QB rating jumped from 80 to 87 Year 1 to year 2. I do expect EJ to improve in similar fashion. In fact EJ and Dalton's rookie stats are close; EJ has a lower floor since he has to adjust more from college to pro, but in general you expect him to have a higher ceiling. Overall, that is not an unrealistic expectation, which should put the Bills in playoff contention. In that regard, I understand their motives to go after Watkins the way they did.

Freak things happen in NFL, particularly injury. Dalton has never missed a game, EJ missed 6 in his first season. That's why I said Whaley sticks his neck out for the move. I don't doubt that the ownership situation played a role in the decision here - I heard unconfirmed rumor that the Bills refused to part with 2nd and a later round this year to Cleveland, instead giving them 1st and 4th next year to make the deal. That tells me they are loading up this year to make it happen. If Watkins proves to be legit #1 receiver in NFL (which is likely) and the Bills make a strong playoff bid, Whaley will certainly earn points on his resume, regardless he's reatined by the new ownership. Had the Bills in a stable ownership situation like the Steelers, I wonder he might have opted to a safer approach of staying put, picking a good player (in fact the Rooney's might not even allow this kind of bold move).

Albany,n.y.
05-09-2014, 09:37 AM
You're absolutely right-the ownership situation had a huge role in this. If the Bills don't field a good enough team this year, Whaley, Marrone & the rest of the football staff are all fired by the new owner. So Whaley needs to win this year & if he doesn't he won't be around when Cleveland is picking high in the 1st with our pick. It makes perfect sense for him not to part with this year's 2nd-he needs to win NOW. Whaley (and Marrone, staff etc) are guys who have nothing to lose, better to go out in a blaze of glory, with the hope that the move saves your job, than sit back & face the axe.
If the Bills win this year, the new owner can say we're on the right track. If they lose the new guy is going to want to make a splash with a big name coach with a ton of power and either no GM or one who is basically neutered.

Dr. Who
05-09-2014, 09:40 AM
The new owner would be crazy to get rid of Whaley. He's the real deal, imo.

jimmifli
05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I just don't see Watkins helping us that much this season.

Megatron didn't catch 800 yards in his first season. But lets say he Watkins does. That's only a 200 yard improvement over the guy he replaced (Stevie or Woods). Is 200 yards going to make us win games?

Even if you count on a ripple effect, does anyone think we're 600-800 yards away from being competitive? It sounds like a lot to ask of a rookie WR. We might improve, but I don't think it's Watkins that provides the bulk of the help.