PDA

View Full Version : Well, somebody didn't like our first day draft performance...

DynaPaul
05-09-2014, 11:05 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348409/article/2014-nfl-draft-firstround-quicksnap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Try again

Buffalo Bills: Sammy Watkins (4th)
The skinny: This might draw some heat, but the Bills traded way too much to move up five picks to get a wide receiver, even one as good coming out of college as Watkins. The offense will love Watkins' ability, but the team paid a ton -- the No. 9 pick this year, plus a first-rounder and fourth-rounder next year -- to move up to get a player at a position that hasn't panned out all that much in the top 10.

We got the lowest grade of all teams, even the ones that didn't have a first round pick! For what it's worth I never even heard of the author.

Bill Cody
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
For what it's worth I never even heard of the author.

You've never heard of OP?

DraftBoy
05-09-2014, 11:10 AM
Bryan is a good writer, came from Rivals to CBS, and then to Pac12 Network.

Good Twitter follow.

Uncle Jesse
05-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I would like to read his other "day after" analysis of 1st rounds of the draft before seeing if he has any validity to his opinions.

CoolBreeze
05-09-2014, 11:12 AM
a 1st and a 4th was too much? No way to move up 5 spots from the top 10 to the top 5, that was a good deal. I thought we'd have to give up way more to reach where we did. That author is nuts

ublinkwescore
05-09-2014, 11:15 AM
Our d is stocked, and did well despite us having a sputtering offense. We need all O from this draft. We got the best possible weapon we could for EJ. The theme of this draft is simple, arm and protect EJ, well, guess what, he is armed quite nicely now (Bye Bye TJ Graham), now we need to protect him. RG & or RT are now priority number 1. I wouldn't mind a RB no later than round 5.

- - - Updated - - -

Our d is stocked, and did well despite us having a sputtering offense. We need all O from this draft. We got the best possible weapon we could for EJ. The theme of this draft is simple, arm and protect EJ, well, guess what, he is armed quite nicely now (Bye Bye TJ Graham), now we need to protect him. RG & or RT are now priority number 1. I wouldn't mind a RB no later than round 5.

DynaPaul
05-09-2014, 11:16 AM
a 1st and a 4th was too much? No way to move up 5 spots from the top 10 to the top 5, that was a good deal. I thought we'd have to give up way more to reach where we did. That author is nuts

I don't know why these people are counting our #9 pick this year as part of the deal. It was a 1st and a 4th next year and that's it. Obviously part of the process is swapping draft positions.

CleveSteve
05-09-2014, 11:18 AM
I thought a lot of his analyses were myopic and a bit turdly.

Novacane
05-09-2014, 11:22 AM
Grading drafts the day after is so stupid.

don137
05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Typical national media author that just loves to whip on Buffalo that apparently talks out of his butt. I know plenty of positions like DE, QB, LB, etc. that did not pan out that was taken in top 10.
Watkins has been a stud since day one at Clemson. He is not a one year wonder. Watkins was the fourth freshman to ever become a first team all-American as a freshman. The others: Hershel Walker, AP and Marshall Faulk. Pretty good company.
Was an All-American all three years in college. Author was just throwing darts by saying WR position just doesn't pan out. It can be said for any position. I'd take Watkins track record over any other WR resume that was drafted.

better days
05-09-2014, 11:40 AM

On WGR yesterday, they were speculating that it would take next years first & second to move up to three to draft Watkins.

So, a first & fourth don't seem like too much to me for Watkins, especially since they didn't give up anything this year.

Turf
05-09-2014, 11:54 AM
The analyst is an imbecile. He knows nothing about what is good or bad.

DraftBoy
05-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Grading drafts the day after is so stupid.

Then why did you click on the thread?

xXSpIkes5IXx
05-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I agree that a 1st and a 4th is alot to give up, and I'm certainly uneasy about the move. However, the stigma of the Bills as a dysfunctional franchise in the national media plays into this. If this move was made by the Giants or Patriots, It would be seen more as a team gearing up to make a run. It probably would have been applauded by several media members.

Nobody out there thinks EJ Manuel can play (and some people don't even have a good reason for it), so they are presuming we are handing Cleveland a top 10 pick next year and we're idiots. Whaley clearly thinks Watkins is a star #1 type receiver, that will help EJ over the hump and get the Bills to the playoff after 15 years, and he's basically betting the farm on it.

I'm skeptical, but at least Whaley went out and got the #1 player on our board

ParanoidAndroid
05-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Then why did you click on the thread?

To offer his two cents? What's wrong with his post? I like to read the analysis but I also agree that it is pointless in reality. I'm just easily entertained and/or annoyed.

Typ0
05-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I think the author's point is positional and I agree with him. We got a receiver. Whoo Haa!

Typ0
05-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I am glad to see SJ go though. His attitude is not what you want for leadership on the team.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-09-2014, 02:20 PM
This thread fails as its not in the form of a youtube clip from Downfall.