PDA

View Full Version : where does Buffalo's 1st next year have to be at for us to win this trade?

ublinkwescore
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM
I say 25 and a divisional playoff game appearance

DraftBoy
05-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Anywhere from 1 to 32.

This trade isn't won or lost next year.

Novacane
05-09-2014, 11:08 AM
They have to make the playoffs

Kenny
05-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Doesnt matter where the pick is. As long as Watkins shows flashes of being elite during the season, we're fine.

DynaPaul
05-09-2014, 11:18 AM
20 or later is fine by me. If it's in the top 10 then we definitely have a fail.

Novacane
05-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Anywhere from 1 to 32.

Oh please! If our pick ends up being #1 this was a bad trade even if Watkins ends up a good player.

ublinkwescore
05-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Anywhere from 1 to 32.

I disagree. if we miss the playoffs by 2 seeds or more, we have lost. PERIOD. If we draft at 18 or higher, we lost. if our first ends up being cleveland's # 19 to 24, we broke even. from number 25 on and a divisional playoff game on, we have won. we still have other picks to hopefully find our new Cordy Glenn. Arm and defend EJ, that is the only thing this front office needs to concern it's self with.

The Jokeman
05-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I say 25 and a divisional playoff game appearance

I've been saying 16 or lower.

ublinkwescore
05-09-2014, 11:36 AM
16 is just shy of breaking even

- - - Updated - - -

16 is just shy of breaking even

DraftBoy
05-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Oh please! If our pick ends up being #1 this was a bad trade even if Watkins ends up a good player.

That's bull****. If it ends 1 next year but we win a SB in three years and Watkins is a league MVP its a great trade.

It is absolutely stupid to judge the trade based on where the pick is next year.

TacklingDummy
05-09-2014, 12:04 PM

That way we get the 33rd pick.

EDS
05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
I think Whaley will look foolish if the Bills don't make the playoffs this season and will be fired in that event.

Mr. Pink
05-09-2014, 01:12 PM
The only way it's a loss is if they're bad enough to be in a place to select one of the top tier elite prospects, which is usually top 4-5. After that, you're losing out on a second or even third tier type of prospect. It's better to have top tier elite prospect than have 2 second tier prospects. The reason this team has been garbage for as long as it's been is they lack elite talent, they did what they had to do last night to get elite talent.

Even still, as DB pointed out, if the team 2 years from now is a playoff caliber team and Watkins lights the league on fire, it doesn't matter what they gave up.

ublinkwescore
05-09-2014, 01:20 PM
good point, but I would feel better about this team with it getting its playoff experience sooner rather than later. we should be able to crawl through that window of opportunity stage this year. we have the talent now, and the ability to improve this roster even more.

- - - Updated - - -

good point, but I would feel better about this team with it getting its playoff experience sooner rather than later. we should be able to crawl through that window of opportunity stage this year. we have the talent now, and the ability to improve this roster even more.

Homegrown
05-09-2014, 01:23 PM

That way we get the 33rd pick.

Now that's a glass 1/2 full outlook!!

Saratoga Slim
05-09-2014, 01:50 PM
The only way it's a loss is if they're bad enough to be in a place to select one of the top tier elite prospects, which is usually top 4-5. After that, you're losing out on a second or even third tier type of prospect. It's better to have top tier elite prospect than have 2 second tier prospects. The reason this team has been garbage for as long as it's been is they lack elite talent, they did what they had to do last night to get elite talent.

Even still, as DB pointed out, if the team 2 years from now is a playoff caliber team and Watkins lights the league on fire, it doesn't matter what they gave up.

Clap clap, best post yet.

For me, this trade is fine UNLESS we need to replace EJ next year, in which case not having a first rounder may hurt. However, it may not even hurt that badly. As Mr. Pink says, if there's an elite QB prospect or two in a given draft, you're going to have to pick in the top 5 to get him. Period. It thus follows that even if we have a 1st rounder next year, we're not getting an elite QB prospect unless we really, really crap the bed this year. And once you get out of the 'elite' prospects like Andrew Luck, I'm not sure you're any more likely to find yourself a new one in the late first than you are in the 2nd or 3rd.

Thus, I'm going to be OK with this trade UNLESS we need to replace EJ next year AND our record puts us in a position wherein we could have nabbed an elite QB prospect. If that's not the case, I'll take a guy like Watkins over two mid-first rounders that we never hit on anyway.