PDA

View Full Version : Grade Whaley's First Draft

Crisis
05-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Let's see the consensus after its over.

And don't be the guy who says to wait 3 years.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Addressed the needs that I wanted addressed so I'm happy.

X-Era
05-10-2014, 05:54 PM
A

Watkins alone makes it an A. I called my brother and friend years ago and said this guy will be a star... just watch. I could not have been more excited to see this guy get drafted by us. He's a stud.

Add in Cujo, Cyril as a great value where we got him considering early round talent, Henderson as a great value for the same reason, and the upside of Cockrell from football smarts and the ability to play FS...

Could easily be 3 day one starters. Watkins, Cujo, and Cyril

The pick I like the least is Preston Brown.

Yep. A

BillsImpossible
05-10-2014, 05:58 PM
A - Drafted the best offensive weapon, and inside linebacker, a corner, and three monstrous offensive lineman.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 05:59 PM

Wait 1 year

Crisis
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Would you guys trade Spiller/Gilmore/4th rounder for Watkins? Or Gilmore/Dareus/4th for Watkins? I like him but we gave up way too much for a luxury position.

OpIv37
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Giving up next years first should downgrade it by at least half a letter grade.

TacklingDummy
05-10-2014, 06:01 PM
C-

Watkins better become a star or this may be one of the a bills worst drafts ever. Considering it cost them next years draft also.

With the Bills QB mess the odds are he won't be.

BillsImpossible
05-10-2014, 06:02 PM

I think your opinion will change after the first game.

justasportsfan
05-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Can't grade it yet but you can see the difference between him and the old school ways of simply staying put and staying conservative. He likes to wheel and deal. Whether he knows how to play poker remains to be seen. Gutsy though.

Jry44
05-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Would you guys trade Spiller/Gilmore/4th rounder for Watkins? Or Gilmore/Dareus/4th for Watkins? I like him but we gave up way too much for a luxury position.

We gave up 1 1st round pick...not two.

When you go to the store and pay for a $5 item and get $5 back, you paid $5 for it, not $10. I just don't get why people keep saying we gave up two first rounders....

imbondz
05-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Love the Watkins pick just hate how we got it. Cleveland would have taken much less I guarantee. They were laughing.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/5/9/5698864/2014-nfl-draft-grades-roundup-first-round

The Bills are insane First-round grades varied widely on the Buffalo Bills' selection at No. 4, but not because of any concern about Sammy Watkins. In fact, the Clemson wideout was universally praised. What miffed writers was what Buffalo relinquished to trade up to No. 4 -- a first-rounder and fourth-rounder in 2015, plus their No. 9 pick. In terms of fit and value, Watkins may have been an "A" pick. A one-sided trade with the Cleveland Browns skewed perception of the selection, however.

SB Nation: C +
CBS Sports: A
Sports Illustrated: B -
NFL.com: "Try again"
ESPN: Thumbs down

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 06:18 PM
C-

ParanoidAndroid
05-10-2014, 06:20 PM
B-

Sammy Watkins is good, but not the kind of dominant talent you trade away a future 1st rounder for.
Kouandjio is very boom or bust and far from a sure thing
Preston Brown is solid but nothing special.
Ross Cockrell was good value in the 4th and will be good depth
Cyril Richardson is another guy that needs strong coaching. Boom or bust. Worth a shot in the 5th.
***I still cannot understand trading out of that earlier 5th round pick for a 2015 5th and 2014 7th.
Randell Johnson....ok
Seantrell Henderson is yet another boom or bust tackle.

If they really wanted it, Kouandjio and Henderson could be bookends for a decade and could force Glenn inside. The potential is there to have an unbelievably good O-line, but it's very, very high risk with these guys. There were opportunities to take safer bets and build a great O-line.

MikeInRoch
05-10-2014, 06:21 PM
Cleveland would have taken much less I guarantee.

It's good that you have such intimate knowledge of the Browns. Oh wait - the reality is you have no freaking idea.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 06:22 PM
B-

Sammy Watkins is good, but not the kind of dominant talent you trade away a future 1st rounder for.
Kouandjio is very boom or bust and far from a sure thing
Preston Brown is solid but nothing special.
Ross Cockrell was good value in the 4th and will be good depth
Cyril Richardson is another guy that needs strong coaching. Boom or bust. Worth a shot in the 5th.
***I still cannot understand trading out of that earlier 5th round pick for a 2015 5th and 2014 7th.
Randell Johnson....ok
Seantrell Henderson is yet another boom or bust tackle.

If they really wanted it, Kouandjio and Henderson could be bookends for a decade and could force Glenn inside. The potential is there to have an unbelievably good O-line, but it's very, very high risk with these guys. There were opportunities to take safer bets and build a great O-line.

I didn't like that either. Should of gotten their 5th and 7th this year or just stayed put.

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 06:23 PM

When you go to the store and pay for a $5 item and get $5 back, you paid $5 for it, not $10. I just don't get why people keep saying we gave up two first rounders....

Because the Bills used two first round picks to obtain him. So yes, they used two first rounders and Steve Johnson to get him.

OpIv37
05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
I think your opinion will change after the first game.

My opinion will change if and only if a) Watkins is a true star AND b) we don't have any glaring needs that aren't met due to not having a first next year.

Most likely A will happen. B, well, don't hold your breath.

justasportsfan
05-10-2014, 06:26 PM

they probably like what they have right now and use next years 5th to make a Brown type of deal or keep making deals to move in next years draft like they did a lot in this years draft.

OpIv37
05-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Semantics really. It took us two first round picks to get him. You can argue that we spent both or we used one and gave up another, but no matter how you do the math, there are two first round picks tied up in one player.

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 06:28 PM
This team is going to be ****ed next year when the draft comes around

TacklingDummy
05-10-2014, 06:29 PM
My opinion will change if and only if a) Watkins is a true star AND b) we don't have any glaring needs that aren't met due to not having a first next year.

Unless EJ magically improves "A" isn't happening either.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 06:29 PM

We could have that 1rst next year and still not fill the hole though. That pick could easily bust.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 06:31 PM

I agree with that except for "magically". This trade working out depends as much on EJ as it does on Watkins imo.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Eh, Stevie Johnson put up big numbers with garbage QBs. Watkins will be the main option in the offensive passing game, he'll put up numbers and look like a star. Doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to W's however.

mikemac2001
05-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Its an A for me but dropped it to a B for losing a pick next year

OpIv37
05-10-2014, 06:40 PM
We could have that 1rst next year and still not fill the hole though. That pick could easily bust.

Yeah well, with that mentality, any draft pick can bust so we might as well trade all our picks for players every year. After all, it worked for George Allen in the 1970's.

imbondz
05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
It's good that you have such intimate knowledge of the Browns. Oh wait - the reality is you have no freaking idea.

nope none!

Buffalogic
05-10-2014, 06:41 PM
A

OpIv37
05-10-2014, 06:42 PM

There's a good chance that we will end up Eric Mouldsing Watkins: taking what should be a top all-time WR and relegating him to merely above average because we don't have a QB who can get him the ball.

TacklingDummy
05-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Eh, Stevie Johnson put up big numbers with garbage QBs. Watkins will be the main option in the offensive passing game, he'll put up numbers and look like a star. Doesn't necessarily mean it will translate to W's however.

Did he put up big numbers last year? Did any Bills receiver?

Novacane
05-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Hopefully the new owner will be more aggressive in FA. That could easily make up for not having a #1 next year.

Mace
05-10-2014, 06:45 PM
Ok, I voted B-, mostly for spending that number 1 next year.

But, big but, when I look at this draft for say, a generic team, it looks chock full of value and promise and real solid in terms of potential payoff. I see no one I personally considered meh, no matter what round. That impresses me. There are always picks that "meh" me.

The moving around counterbalances my main negative. Spending that extra number one on what I considered a luxury pick. We go into next year without a first rounder, but I came to believe, if they need someone, say a QB, and WANT someone, whether or not I like it, they will have him, no matter the round next year.

Some good work imho after initially making me cranky.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
Did he put up big numbers last year? Did any Bills receiver?

None of them stayed healthy last year.

Get whoever the top notch talent at WR is and regardless of QB, he's gonna put up numbers in that offense.

Lee Evans with JP, Kevin Johnson with Tim Couch, Calvin Johnson pre Stafford, Roddy White pre Matt Ryan and the list goes on.

sudzy
05-10-2014, 06:59 PM

This kills me. Cleveland got the 9th overall pick and they are getting next years #1, right? We received the #4 overall pick which become Watkins. Thus, Cleveland got 2 first rounds and we got one (Watkins). Thus, we gave two first rounders for Watkins. Why do people keep saying we only gave one?

paladin warrior
05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
A+ on 1st round B on the 2nd round ,,,D- on 3rd ,4th 5th round...B on 6th and 7 round

sudzy
05-10-2014, 07:04 PM
A+ on 1st round B on the 2nd round ,,,D- on 3rd ,4th 5th round...B on 6th and 7 round

They didn't have a 6th. Are you giving them a B for the Mike Williams trade.

TacklingDummy
05-10-2014, 07:05 PM
None of them stayed healthy last year.

Get whoever the top notch talent at WR is and regardless of QB, he's gonna put up numbers in that offense.

Lee Evans with JP, Kevin Johnson with Tim Couch, Calvin Johnson pre Stafford, Roddy White pre Matt Ryan and the list goes on.
Like Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Peter Warrick, Desmond Howard, Troy Williamson, David Terrell, Yatiel Green did.

Mr. Pink
05-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Like Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, Peter Warrick, Desmond Howard, Troy Williamson, David Terrell, Yatiel Green did.

If you don't end up being the best receiver on the team, these things will happen to you. Especially if you have a year off of football - Williams, get hurt - Rogers, hold out - Warrick.

I'm not saying that Watkins is 100% bust proof but he's the best WR to come out since Megatron so the odds are he won't.

And even if the QB play is bad, which trust me I like EJ as much as you do, he'll produce simply because he's there.

Jry44
05-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Because the Bills used two first round picks to obtain him. So yes, they used two first rounders and Steve Johnson to get him.

And got.... 1 1st rounder back as change. It's simple math, kiddo....

swiper
05-10-2014, 07:11 PM
5 years from now you will have forgotten about all these players Whaley drafted today except Watkins. And he'll be playing somewhere else ala Levitre & Byrd. So C-.

Jry44
05-10-2014, 07:12 PM
This kills me. Cleveland got the 9th overall pick and they are getting next years #1, right? We received the #4 overall pick which become Watkins. Thus, Cleveland got 2 first rounds and we got one (Watkins). Thus, we gave two first rounders for Watkins. Why do people keep saying we only gave one?

Because we got.... ONE back! Each team was using one 1st round pick anyway. We LOSE 1st first round pick, and Cleveland gains ONE. 2-1=1

We used 1 first rounder ON him, but gave one up to get him.

Crisis
05-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Because we got.... ONE back! Each team was using one 1st round pick anyway. We LOSE 1st first round pick, and Cleveland gains ONE. 2-1=1

Yes but we're also losing the player we would have selected at 9. Watkins cost 2 1sts.

Jry44
05-10-2014, 07:18 PM
Yes but we're also losing the player we would have selected at 9. Watkins cost 2 1sts.

That 9 became a 4, which we used to select him. We were using that pick whether is was at 9 or 4.

Look at it however you want to, however. ...

alohabillsfan
05-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Addressed the needs that I wanted addressed so I'm happy.

Yes they drafted for need and not bpa, fail

paladin warrior
05-10-2014, 07:22 PM
OH NO . 6th round sorry about that ..My bad

TacklingDummy
05-10-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm not saying that Watkins is 100% bust proof but he's the best WR to come out since Megatron so the odds are he won't.

I see Michael Crabtree II.

YardRat
05-10-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm having a hard time falling in love with the Watkins pick. I don't like first round offensive skill position picks to begin with, unless it's a rare exception, and don't like giving away future picks, especially first rounders. I understand he is the highest rated offensive weapon in the draft, but he still has to prove it at the next level, and WR isn't the easiest position to transition to the big time. With the price we paid, he can't just be 'really good' or even a 'great' receiver...he needs to be more. Playmaker isn't good enough to justify moving up to make the pick...I don't care how many catches, yards, and TDs he accumulates in his tenure here...he needs to be a difference-maker...a game-changer...a go-to, clutch performer that is a real, tangible factor in wins. Anything less, and the pick is a mistake.

I like the Kouandijo pick...should start at RT from day 1, just like Cordy did a couple of seasons ago. He's coming in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove after dropping into the second round, and a talented mammoth with an attitude is always a good thing for the oline.

I like the Preston Brown pick, also. We needed a rookie to back up Spikes for a season, and be able to take over if Spikes' stay is only year. He's a thumper, and a run-stopper, and I'm good with a two-down player at MLB that can stop the run. Not necessarily the exact person I had targeted, but the position and skill set is.

Don't like the Ross Cockrell pick. We're good at corner, through 5 IMO. We'll probably keep six, so as long as he beats out Butler and Smith it wouldn't be a total loss. Wouldn't be surprised, however, if one of the UDFA's actually makes the team over him. Would have rather gotten a QB (Mettenberg, Savage, Murray, etc), safety (Boston or Butler) or a TE (Lynch) here.

Like the Richardson and Henderson picks. Love the concentration on the oline. Both have 'potential' that could far exceed their draft position. If even one of these two end up being starter in a season or two, it's a bonus.

Don't like the Johnson pick, he's probably camp fodder. Would've rather seen a DT or DE added to the mix instead of another LBer, although moving Lawson and Hughes to DE negated the need for one, and increased the necessity to get depth outside.

Don't like to see Stevie go, but it was probably time (he'd hit his ceiling a couple of seasons ago, and just isn't clutch enough), we became log-jammed at receiver with the Watkins selection, and at least we recouped a pick. Neutral of the Brown acquisition, still don't understand the finer points of the deal, and wouldn't have minded getting a youngster in to back up FJ and CJ (Wilder Jr) instead.

Overall, I'd give the last three days a B-minus. I like the aggressiveness the front office showed in moving and shaking, and I like the positions they filled with bodies for the most part, even if the picks weren't the same guys I had my eye on.

Bangarang
05-10-2014, 08:20 PM

How did it cost us two 1sts if we got a higher 1st in return?

We didn't lose two 1st round picks. We only lost 1. You can't just count the player you could've drafted at your original 1st round spot as losing a 1st round pick. That just makes no sense.

Say for example, we traded only our 2nd round pick this year in exchange for the 4th overall pick. You wouldn't say that it cost us a 1st and 2nd rounder to trade up to Watkins...

Mace
05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
I'm having a hard time falling in love with the Watkins pick. I don't like first round offensive skill position picks to begin with, unless it's a rare exception, and don't like giving away future picks, especially first rounders. I understand he is the highest rated offensive weapon in the draft, but he still has to prove it at the next level, and WR isn't the easiest position to transition to the big time. With the price we paid, he can't just be 'really good' or even a 'great' receiver...he needs to be more. Playmaker isn't good enough to justify moving up to make the pick...I don't care how many catches, yards, and TDs he accumulates in his tenure here...he needs to be a difference-maker...a game-changer...a go-to, clutch performer that is a real, tangible factor in wins. Anything less, and the pick is a mistake.

I like the Kouandijo pick...should start at RT from day 1, just like Cordy did a couple of seasons ago. He's coming in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove after dropping into the second round, and a talented mammoth with an attitude is always a good thing for the oline.

I like the Preston Brown pick, also. We needed a rookie to back up Spikes for a season, and be able to take over if Spikes' stay is only year. He's a thumper, and a run-stopper, and I'm good with a two-down player at MLB that can stop the run. Not necessarily the exact person I had targeted, but the position and skill set is.

Don't like the Ross Cockrell pick. We're good at corner, through 5 IMO. We'll probably keep six, so as long as he beats out Butler and Smith it wouldn't be a total loss. Wouldn't be surprised, however, if one of the UDFA's actually makes the team over him. Would have rather gotten a QB (Mettenberg, Savage, Murray, etc), safety (Boston or Butler) or a TE (Lynch) here.

Like the Richardson and Henderson picks. Love the concentration on the oline. Both have 'potential' that could far exceed their draft position. If even one of these two end up being starter in a season or two, it's a bonus.

Don't like the Johnson pick, he's probably camp fodder. Would've rather seen a DT or DE added to the mix instead of another LBer, although moving Lawson and Hughes to DE negated the need for one, and increased the necessity to get depth outside.

Don't like to see Stevie go, but it was probably time (he'd hit his ceiling a couple of seasons ago, and just isn't clutch enough), we became log-jammed at receiver with the Watkins selection, and at least we recouped a pick. Neutral of the Brown acquisition, still don't understand the finer points of the deal, and wouldn't have minded getting a youngster in to back up FJ and CJ (Wilder Jr) instead.

Overall, I'd give the last three days a B-minus. I like the aggressiveness the front office showed in moving and shaking, and I like the positions they filled with bodies for the most part, even if the picks weren't the same guys I had my eye on.

My thinking was not much diff, but Cockrell and Johnson are quality players in fodderland, ala special teams with outside shots to be producers over our other fodder. We're usually looking at prolly 4 fodder players per draft.

Some small thing to comfort anyway that we may have gained better fodder.

bleve
05-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Any Draft that doesn't include a QB, for me is an automatic F. However, three Fat Guys.... Hell yeah.

Novacane
05-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Yes they drafted for need and not bpa, fail

They let you see their board? You're just pissed they didn't take a QB. They don't think they need one.

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 10:11 PM
And got.... 1 1st rounder back as change. It's simple math, kiddo....

They still used the ****ing pick to get him. Why can't some of you thick skulled mother ****ers get that through your heads?

BertSquirtgum
05-10-2014, 10:13 PM
They let you see their board? You're just pissed they didn't take a QB. They don't think they need one.

Did you type that out without laughing out loud or in your head? Are you saying you are completely comfortable going into the NFL season with EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel as the quarterbacks?

ICRockets
05-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Semantics really. It took us two first round picks to get him. You can argue that we spent both or we used one and gave up another, but no matter how you do the math, there are two first round picks tied up in one player.

Yes, that means we USED 2 first round picks on Watkins. It does not mean we GAVE UP 2 first round picks on Watkins, which seems to be the prevailing statement on the trade.

psubills62
05-10-2014, 10:32 PM
I said B+

Getting the talent they did in Watkins and the OL impressed me. Didn't like giving up next year's #1. Don't know much about the LB or CB, but they seem relatively talented.

Mace
05-10-2014, 10:42 PM
B-, the first round was wayyy too costly

Might have missed a few posts over a month or so, but I thought you were going to be off incommunicado, fighting for your life and ours ? Think I even wished you the best and hoped you'd stay alive. What's up with that ?

sudzy
05-11-2014, 05:07 AM
I voted B-, maybe I should have gave them a B. No doubt Whaley rolled the dice on this draft. A huge change from what we are use to. On paper it looks like a really good draft. But, there are some medical questions, some motivational questions. Watkins effectiveness will be tied to EJ's development. The OL is a lot better today then it was Thursday.

SquishDaFish
05-11-2014, 06:11 AM
I see both sides he cost two first rounders sure. But we also only have away I've first and swapped one. So you are all right

Novacane
05-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Did you type that out without laughing out loud or in your head? Are you saying you are completely comfortable going into the NFL season with EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel as the quarterbacks?

I didn't say anything close to that. Drafting a QB wouldn't have changed that. We'd still have a roster full of unproven QB's.

Don't Panic
05-11-2014, 06:17 AM

I agree with that, but when you're downgrading from an A- it still gives you a good draft.

alohabillsfan
05-11-2014, 06:39 AM
I was fine with everything up until the 5th round and them he blew it! Should of draft Murry or McCarron instead of trading it for a 7th this year and a 5th next year it just wasn't worth it! The bills needed competition for back up QB and Whaley overplayed the hand. Added bonus drafting a player represented by one anti buffalo bill Eugene Parker all I can say is the buffalo fills front office never learns. Smh

coastal
05-11-2014, 07:42 AM
If Cyrus and Cyril become high quality starters at RT and RG...

A+

for now... B+

Fletch
05-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Whaley himself said that this pick was to win now, so technically if we don't make the playoffs, or at least post a winning season, he's failed.

Either way, if they can't crack 6-10 again it's going to go over about as well as a cold sore on the girl in the kissing booth.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-11-2014, 10:07 AM
I voted B-, I like the aggressiveness to move up and get an elite talent, but as I said at the time I would have preferred Mack be the result of that trade. That said, Watkins was a great marriage of need and availability. The rest of the draft was great IMO, any draft that includes three fat guys and a linebacker gets a serious thumbs up. I also liked the Brown trade, he's a talent if he can control his fumbling issues. The Williams trade was a total steal.

But the Steve Johnson trade was such a massive fail that I had to pull this down by a full letter grade. There was no need to move him whatsoever, he was our most experienced wideout, he would have been excellent if reduced to a #2/#3 role (which is exactly what he'd be in San Fran), and we actually lost cap room this year by dealing him. This move objectively made us worse in 2014 for a pathetic return.

The Jokeman
05-11-2014, 10:18 AM
B- I don't see how anyone can think that Stevie Johnson is worth the same to this team as Bryce Brown will be if looking to win in 2014. I get Stevie wasn't needed with the addition of Watkins but I don't see the rookie stepping into the #1 WR we need in his first year. All the reports I read/hear call him another Torrey Smith/Percy Harvin and looking back on their rookie years which means Watkins might produce 50 catches for 775 yards and about 5 TDs. Great numbers for a rookie but enough to supplant a guy who had over 1000 yards in three out of the last four seasons. Sketchy at best. Also to me if we're trying to help EJ out in 2014 I'm not sure how replacing a proven veteran WR for a rookie really helps. So short picture wise (see the 2014 season) I think it was a mistake. Yet the draft is not won or lost in Round 1. So Round 2, we got the guy I wanted in Kouandjio. So no complaints there. Round 3 gave us a LB who sounds like a run thumper who might ultimately replace Brandon Spikes. Yet with us playing a 4-3 front question why we didn't try to find a true DE guy as not sure how Lawson/Hughes fit in there. Round 4 CB sounds like a strong candidate to replace Ahmad Brooks as a dime CB and eventually replace Leodis McKelvin. Richardson in round 5 is good value but don't expect him to start until 2015 or 16 (anyone know when Urbrik's contract is over?). Round 7 hmmm another LB prospect but he sounds like he better suited in a 3-4. Our scouts do know that Pettine isn't our D coordinator right? Or perhaps the Bills will shock us this year and play the hybrid 4-3/3-4 we saw last year which makes a little more sense based on the current roster. Henderson as eluded to me a risk I don't like as felt we could have used depth elsewhere. Of course the ultimate plan might be to have Henderson man RT in 2016 and shift Kouandjio to LT when Glenn walks as an UFA. So for 2014 I grade this draft a C- but come 2016 this could be a B+ depending what the Browns get with the 1st and 4ths we gave up for Watson. Yet with all that unknown at this time but hey we at least get Tampa's 5th Rounder next year and a RB that could be starting for us in 2015.

Dr. Who
05-11-2014, 10:30 AM

That's why I gave it a B+.

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 11:22 AM
From Walter's Football.

4. Buffalo Bills: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: C+ Grade

The Bills get an A for Sammy Watkins. He's a stud, and he's going to be a great receiver in the NFL. Having said that, they get a D for moving up. They surrendered a first-round pick in 2015, and given that the quarterback is still E.J. Manuel, it's likely that Cleveland will have an additional top-12 selection in 2015 NFL Draft.

I really hate it when teams trade up like this. It's only a good idea if they're one player away. The Bills are most definitely not one player away.

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Buffalo Bills

4. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
44. Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
73. Preston Brown, MLB, Louisville
109. Ross Cockrell, CB, Duke
153. Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
221. Randell Johnson, OLB, Florida Atlantic
237. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

Grade: C+

The Bills grade is directly related to giving up a first-round pick in next year’s draft. That’s a steep price for a wide receiver, though Watkins is a very good one. He’s immediately the No. 1 receiver in Buffalo and a top target for E.J. Manuel. The Kouandjio pick is a risk because of his knee, but if it holds out he’s one of the better value picks in the draft. Brown was a reach at No. 73, but the Bills did hit with Kiko Alonso who was thought to be one as well. Cockrell is a good dime man cover corner, Richardson is solid depth inside. Henderson is the one to keep an eye on. When he’s right – on the field and off it – he has first-round ability.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2014/5/10/5705040/2014-nfl-draft-team-needs-johnny-manziel-browns-packers

stuckincincy
05-11-2014, 11:26 AM
I give STL a B for snagging OT Robinson and DT Donald. It helps to draft high. And means nothing until play starts.

Everybody else gets a C. All those months of live scouting, pouring over "measurables" - measurables gets you a Jerome Simpson in the 2nd round - thousands of hours viewing films, 3 days of drafting and so on. How can one distill that to a letter grade?

BUF took out a mortgage for Watkins.

They drafted 3 OLs. Good - they sorely need to. I wouldn't have made the CLE trade, but I'm not the one studying the films and so forth.

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Grading the 2014 NFL Draft: Patriots, Jets tops in AFC East

Buffalo Bills
Wideout Sammy Watkins may very well be the difference-maker that Buffalo is looking for to help take the pressure off of 2013 surprise first round quarterback EJ Manuel but the Bills gave up two first round picks to get him, which I believe will prove too much. I do like the focus on blockers with second rounder Cyrus Kouandjio, fifth rounder Cyril Richardson and the late gamble on the talented but troubled Seantrel Henderson. Defensive back Ross Cockrell could surprise and I like Preston Brown's physicality in the middle. Grade: C

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24557849/grading-the-2014-nfl-draft-patriots-jets-tops-in-afc-east

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Buffalo Bills: C+

1 (4) Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
2 (44) Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama
3 (73) Preston Brown, LB, Louisville
4 (109) Ross Cockrell, DB, Duke
5 (153) Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor
7 (221) Randell Johnson, LB, Florida Atlantic
7 (237) Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

• The Bills landed a player that many consider to be the best receiver in the draft in Watkins. He fills a major need, too. But they had to give up a first-round pick in 2015 to get him. Kouandjio has a chance to compete for the starting job at right tackle, and he represents OK value in the second round. Brown is a two-down middle linebacker, at worst, and he could be the starter in 2015 once Brandon Spikes’ contract runs out. Cockrell can add depth behind Leodis McKelvin and Stephon Gilmore, and Richardson is an intriguing developmental guy.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/10/5015762/nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams.html#storylink=cpy

Woodman
05-11-2014, 11:32 AM
A for effort, started with 6 picks collected 7 plus Brown plus a possible 2015 3rd in the Stevie trade if he meets performance numbers and didn't we get another pick when we traded 149th overall. Lots of wheeling and dealing at OBD. I love the aggressive approach it's gonna payoff.

stuckincincy
05-11-2014, 11:34 AM
StL drafted well, until the 7th round...unless they're trying to parlay that into a Hard Knocks deal

Heh - good point. The NFL is a show biz, and publicity counts.

Famous Amos
05-11-2014, 11:42 AM

right, let's say we traded down from the second round into the first for a player. It cost us next year's first. That player costs us a second round pick (from the present draft) and an additional first round pick. Two picks.

Sammy costs us this year's 1st round pick and next year's first pick. Two picks.

as an aside, whenever I post here, my keystrokes don't always register.

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Also have to take off a letter for the Bills draft being rated by Bills fans on a Bills fan message board.

Most media sites I've read have rated the Bills draft anywhere from B to C.

ICRockets
05-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Grading the 2014 NFL Draft: Patriots, Jets tops in AFC East

Buffalo Bills
Wideout Sammy Watkins may very well be the difference-maker that Buffalo is looking for to help take the pressure off of 2013 surprise first round quarterback EJ Manuel but the Bills gave up two first round picks to get him, which I believe will prove too much. I do like the focus on blockers with second rounder Cyrus Kouandjio, fifth rounder Cyril Richardson and the late gamble on the talented but troubled Seantrel Henderson. Defensive back Ross Cockrell could surprise and I like Preston Brown's physicality in the middle. Grade: C

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24557849/grading-the-2014-nfl-draft-patriots-jets-tops-in-afc-east

Like I said before, this is wrong. But it's Pete Prisco, so it's not like that should surprise anybody.

sudzy
05-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Like I said before, this is wrong. But it's Pete Prisco, so it's not like that should surprise anybody.

Only in Buffalo would this make sense. Any way you want to spin it. Cleveland ended up with the 9th pick overall (Gilbert), next years #1 and next years #4 and we received the 4th pick overall (Watkins). You can word it what ever way makes you feel best about it.

kishoph
05-11-2014, 05:24 PM

We didn't give up two 1st rounders, we swapped 1st round picks this year and gave up a 1st and a 4th round pick next year, so you can ask would we give up Gilmore and a 4th round pick, but you can also ask, would you give up Aaron Maybin and a 4th round pick for Watson. Sometimes you have to pay to get something good, there may not be another receiver with Watkins talents coming out for years, the Bills needed a true #1 receiver and they believe they got him in Watkins. The Bills could easily end up in the bottom of the draft next year, so there's no telling.

swiper
05-11-2014, 05:39 PM
If Cyrus and Cyril become high quality starters at RT and RG...

A+

for now... B+

Don't get me wrong, I like both OL drafted. But only a reasonable fan understands most of them don't work out.

2012:

Zebrie Sanders - round 5
Mark Asper - round 7

2011:

Chris Hairston - round 4

2010:

Ed Wang - round 5
Kyle Calloway - round 7

2008:

Demetrius Bell - round 7

2006:

Brad Butler - round 5
Terrence Pennington - round 7
Aaron Merz - round 7

2005:

Duke Preston - round 4
Justing Geisenger - round 6

2002:

Mike Williams - round 1

Not everyone drafted is "plug and play". I would be happy if one of those two guys became a 5 year starter.

ICRockets
05-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Only in Buffalo would this make sense. Any way you want to spin it. Cleveland ended up with the 9th pick overall (Gilbert), next years #1 and next years #4 and we received the 4th pick overall (Watkins). You can word it what ever way makes you feel best about it.

It's pretty simple. "giving up" 2 1st round draft picks means there are 2 1st round picks with which you receive nothing. We gave up next year's #1, and TRADED #1's this year. So we USED 2 1st round picks on Sammy Watkins. Using 2 picks for one player = giving up ONE pick.

Don't Panic
05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
The ownership piece could really be a factor in here. We will have a very favorable cap situation next spring, so if we have an owner willing to commit resources in FA, we could definitely make up for not having a 1st rounder, especially if that 1st rounder is in the 20+ range. Each offseason, a team gets to trade, sign AND draft its way into improving the team. There's really no way we were going to get a Sammy Watkins quality receiver in free agency, but we very well could get a guy equal to the quality of who we would have picked had we not traded away that 1st. That has to be part of the thinking here... explore all avenues. Plus, when you sign a free agent, you're bringing in a proven commodity. Go back and look at the last ten drafts and see how many busts there are in the 14-24 range (where we're likely to be picking) of the 1st round.

In the end, I really don't think we gave up too much for Watkins. I would have liked to have given less, but that's what it took. So long as he develops into a top 10 receiver, I'm good with it.

sudzy
05-11-2014, 07:17 PM
It's pretty simple. "giving up" 2 1st round draft picks means there are 2 1st round picks with which you receive nothing. We gave up next year's #1, and TRADED #1's this year. So we USED 2 1st round picks on Sammy Watkins. Using 2 picks for one player = giving up ONE pick.

Technically, the Bills "TRADED" all three picks. They didn't give away any of them for nothing. I understand we are getting hung up on words, but, I don't feel Pricso implied we gave anything away for nothing when he said "the Bills gave up two first round picks to get him". They got him.

Jry44
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Technically, the Bills "TRADED" all three picks. They didn't give away any of them for nothing. I understand we are getting hung up on words, but, I don't feel Pricso implied we gave anything away for nothing when he said "the Bills gave up two first round picks to get him". They got him.

"gave up" and using a pick are not at all the same thing.....

Gilly
05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Boldin got traded for a 6th, D Jackson got cut outright..
We got Bryce...

We got value plus cap room...

kishoph
05-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like both OL drafted. But only a reasonable fan understands most of them don't work out.

With better scouting and drafting, hopefully the success rate will be a little higher.