PDA

View Full Version : Did The Bills Give Up Too Much For Sammy Watkins?

BillsImpossible
05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Next year's 1st and 4th round picks. That's not a lot.

If the Bills make the playoffs as a Wild Card team and lose their first playoff game in 15 years, the Browns get the 20th or 21st pick of the 2015 NFL Draft.

That's not giving up much. Would you give up the Bills first round draft pick in 2015 in exchange for a playoff birth for the first time since 1999?

I would.

If the Bills win the Super Bowl, the Browns get the 32nd pick.

That is not giving up too much.

If the Bills don't make the playoffs, Doug Whaley will have some explaining to do along with everybody else.

But who's to say that the Bills can't trade up in the 2015 NFL Draft to select a quarterback, if necessary? Just because the Bills don't have a 1st round pick next year doesn't mean they're banned from the first round.

All of the Bills chips are in on EJ Manuel. They're giving him everything he needs to succeed as an NFL quarterback.

I don't think that is giving up too much.

A first round pick for the next Andre Reed and the playoffs too?

Twist my arm! Uncle! Uncle!!!!!

I submit.

Novacane
05-11-2014, 07:28 PM
Next year's 1st and 4th round picks. That's not a lot.

If the Bills make the playoffs as a Wild Card team and lose their first playoff game in 15 years, the Browns get the 20th or 21st pick of the 2015 NFL Draft.

That's not giving up much. Would you give up the Bills first round draft pick in 2015 in exchange for a playoff birth for the first time since 1999?

I would.

If the Bills win the Super Bowl, the Browns get the 32nd pick.

That is not giving up too much.

If the Bills don't make the playoffs, Doug Whaley will have some explaining to do along with everybody else.

But who's to say that the Bills can't trade up in the 2015 NFL Draft to select a quarterback, if necessary? Just because the Bills don't have a 1st round pick next year doesn't mean they're banned from the first round.

All of the Bills chips are in on EJ Manuel. They're giving him everything he needs to succeed as an NFL quarterback.

I don't think that is giving up too much.

A first round pick for the next Andre Reed and the playoffs too?

Twist my arm! Uncle! Uncle!!!!!

I submit.

What if the Bills make the playoffs but Sammy doesn't do much? Is it still a good trade? Just playing devils advocate. I think he's going to be a big contributer.

Gilly
05-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Would anyone here trade Stevie and a first for AJ Green or Julio Jones?

I think that is what we Bills did this draft...

Novacane
05-11-2014, 07:34 PM

Absolutely I'd do that but that's not really what they did. Since they used this years first and gave up next years they had to use 2 first rounders. If Watkins turns out to be AJ Green or Julio Jones I'd still do it.

Gilly
05-11-2014, 07:40 PM
2? So everyone who drafted a guy this year gave away their first?

YardRat
05-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Depends...only time will tell.

BillsImpossible
05-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Absolutely I'd do that but that's not really what they did. Since they used this years first and gave up next years they had to use 2 first rounders. If Watkins turns out to be AJ Green or Julio Jones I'd still do it.

The Bills didn't give up two first rounders. Technically speaking, yes, football speak no.

They swapped first round picks even Steven. That's a wash.

The Bills gave up 1 first round draft pick for Sammy Watkins.

4th rounders don't count, and swapping first round picks don't count either.

WagonCircler
05-11-2014, 07:48 PM
If we had a true franchise QB, I'd be just fine with what the Bills gave up.

But we don't.

And now it will be even more difficult to get one.

- - - Updated - - -

The Bills didn't give up two first rounders.

No, but they spent two (and a 4th). One one player.

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
What if the Bills suck so much they would have had the 1st or 2nd pick?

BillsImpossible
05-11-2014, 08:04 PM
If we had a true franchise QB, I'd be just fine with what the Bills gave up.

But we don't.

And now it will be even more difficult to get one.

- - - Updated - - -
No, but they spent two (and a 4th). One one player.

The Bills spent a first rounder on Watkins, don't give me that "the Bills spent two first rounders," BS.

The Bills don't have a franchise QB?

We don't know that yet.

BillsImpossible
05-11-2014, 08:06 PM
What if the Bills suck so much they would have had the 1st or 2nd pick?

There's no real reason to believe that the Bills are going to suck in 2014.

TacklingDummy
05-11-2014, 08:13 PM
There's no real reason to believe that the Bills are going to suck in 2014.
Except for the past 14 years, an injury prone QB who when wasn't injured wasn't very good.
A rookie WR, 2 injury prone running backs, 1 on the wrong side of 30 the other nothing special.

elltrain22
05-11-2014, 08:23 PM
In retrospect, here's what we hoped…

We wanted a top-flight OT either Robinson or Matthews or

We wanted Mike Evans, and saw Sammy Watkins as untouchable b/c he'd probably be gone by 9th pick

We really weren't sure about Ebron, and the thought of taking Martin or Beckham was reaching, and also all 3 of these players aren't dominant, sure-fire talents like Watkins.

As it turns out, Matthews, Robinson, and Evans were gone by the 9th pick. We could've had Ebron or Beckham, but I don't think either or those 2 guys impact our team THIS season like Watkins can and will.

We gave up a lot, but thats the price you pay. The way I figure, if we sign a nice FA next off-season its almost the same thing as a 1st round pick.

WagonCircler
05-11-2014, 08:31 PM
The Bills spent a first rounder on Watkins, don't give me that "the Bills spent two first rounders," BS.

The Bills don't have a franchise QB?

We don't know that yet.

For the purpose of selecting Watkins, they spent two first round draft choices and a fourth. Had they not chosen Watkins, electing instead to draft a player from their #9 slot, they would still have had their 2015 #1 and their 2015 #4 at the end of round one.

You can spin it any way you want to, but at the end of the first round, the Bills had a net gain of Sammy Watkins, and a net loss of TWO first round draft picks and one fourth round draft pick. This is known as a FACT.

BillsImpossible
05-11-2014, 08:32 PM
If the Bills make the playoffs this year, nobody is going to care about giving up the 2015 1st round draft pick.

Mace
05-11-2014, 08:33 PM
What if the Bills make the playoffs but Sammy doesn't do much? Is it still a good trade? Just playing devils advocate. I think he's going to be a big contributer.

I'm still vexed by the trade. Spiller move to me. Was anyone worth a number 1 next year, I don't think so. I'll happily be wrong.

I'm more inclined to think he'll do a hella lot and the Bills won't make the playoffs anyway.

That said, the dice are cast, we'll see what happens. But after the activity from the FO this offseason, I'm inclined to think that if they need or want a 1st rounder next year for a precise piece or certain QB, they'll go about getting it.

What's done is done, let's see what happens. Maybe maybe maybe. And so.

WagonCircler
05-11-2014, 08:33 PM
If the Bills make the playoffs this year, nobody is going to care about giving up the 2015 1st round draft pick.

But they won't.

And we will.

And next year, when it's round one and we're trying to draft a real QB, we who remember will be pissed.

Mr. Pink
05-11-2014, 08:35 PM

They traded 2 firsts, Stevie and a 4th basically for Watkins and Bryce Brown.

BillsImpossible
05-11-2014, 08:35 PM
For the purpose of selecting Watkins, they spent two first round draft choices and a fourth. Had they not chosen Watkins, electing instead to draft a player from their #9 slot, they would still have had their 2015 #1 and their 2015 #4 at the end of round one.

You can spin it any way you want to, but at the end of the first round, the Bills had a net gain of Sammy Watkins, and a net loss of TWO first round draft picks and one fourth round draft pick. This is known as a FACT.

Bills fans know that the team gave up 1 first round draft pick in 2015.

To say they gave up two first round draft picks is nitpicking.

The Bills swapped 1st round picks with the Browns. They didn't give up that pick. If they did, Sammy Watkins wouldn't be a Buffalo Bill.

GingerP
05-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Hard to imagine a WR making that much difference, especially as a rookie. Calvin Johnson is the best WR in the NFL, and the Lions have won 7,0,2,6,10,4 and 7 games since he has been in the NFL.

This whole gamble is based on Watkins being the player that puts them over the top, but history is against that view. Rookie WR traditionally take some time to adjust to the NFL.

This reeks of a gamble by a front office that knows they have to do something before the new owners come in and clean house. It was a risky move, one that is more likely to blow up in their face than work out.

BertSquirtgum
05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
YES

THRILLHO
05-11-2014, 09:14 PM
I've gotta think there is some veteran WR we could have traded two #1s for....

WagonCircler
05-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Bills fans know that the team gave up 1 first round draft pick in 2015.

To say they gave up two first round draft picks is nitpicking.

The Bills swapped 1st round picks with the Browns. They didn't give up that pick. If they did, Sammy Watkins wouldn't be a Buffalo Bill.

Pure spin. Also known as bullsh...

Rearrange it all you want, but it is a fact that in order to draft Watkins, they had to use a number one from this year, a number one from next year and a number four from next year.

JoeMama
05-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Pure spin. Also known as bullsh...

Rearrange it all you want, but it is a fact that in order to draft Watkins, they had to use a number one from this year, a number one from next year and a number four from next year.

And according to the negative nancies they just would have wasted that pick anyway, so who cares.

I don't give a **** about next year. I want to win now.

WagonCircler
05-12-2014, 12:50 AM
And according to the negative nancies they just would have wasted that pick anyway, so who cares.

I don't give a **** about next year. I want to win now.

So do I. But that's not possible with a gimpy, inaccurate QB.

I would normally say that we'll be drafting #9 again next year. But we already spent that pick on half a Wideout. (The other half was paid for with the 2014 #1 pick).