• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

I would like to bring up some draft points for review

1.) Everyone we took has a chance to make the field in the NFL, there wasn't any of them that couldn't play based on things being fixed or training.

2.) After every draft, you get people that come out of the woodwork & just down the choices. Look at this ESPN report- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...nso?id=2539935 Where would Kiko have been drafted last season if you could go back ??

3.) A friend of mine knows all about Sammy Watkins down here in SW FL, we're talking a player that will not accept failure. He will lead by his work on & off the field, not by his writing of words on other issues. He is a humble, shy man that puts his heart & amazingly talented physical presence to the game every time. When he played down here, off the charts wasn't even a fair description. He had no equal & after ~15 avg yards per catch with 101 catches last season in college, you'll see big things in the NFL soon.

4.) Whaley puts his time into making the Bills better & had an amazingly good draft last season after looking back. He deserves the benefit of the doubt on any & all picks he made this year, they were made to make an impact & the Bills better soon.
  • Topas
    German smartass
    • Feb 2014

Re: I would like to bring up some draft points for review

Well, no 1 really surprised me. Whaley is really a genius. He actually only drafted football players ...

Ok, :-) I could not resist...

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Between free agency and the draft, Whaley got EJ 4 huge O-Linemen, 2 monster WRs, and another RB. He also picked up a pretty good TE last season, if he stays healthy, in Moeaki, while retaining Chandler. The O should definitely be better.

He also shored up the run defense with 4 linebackers between FA and the draft, and got some CB/Safety/ST help with Graham and the Duke kid.

I think he can criticized mostly for not taking a TE, a DL or 2, and a project QB.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Other than Watkins, is there a big likelihood that any drafted player plays a big role during the 2014 season? I guess if the second round pick can't beat out Pears we are in trouble.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by EDS View Post
          Other than Watkins, is there a big likelihood that any drafted player plays a big role during the 2014 season? I guess if the second round pick can't beat out Pears we are in trouble.
          This guy had a lower 1st rd / 2nd rd grade and might now be playing w/a chip on his shoulder. I like that. But I think his better competition will be Hairston, not Pears. Pears likely won't even make the team...

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto View Post
            This guy had a lower 1st rd / 2nd rd grade and might now be playing w/a chip on his shoulder. I like that. But I think his better competition will be Hairston, not Pears. Pears likely won't even make the team...
            I think experience is important, so we will see.

To me all the o-line picks suggest they don't want to rely on hairston getting healthy.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

I think experience is important, so we will see.

To me all the o-line picks suggest they don't want to rely on hairston getting healthy.
              In my opinion, what our Oline picks suggest is that Marrone intends to force teams to play 8 in the box if they want to stop the run which will allow the WRs (Watkins) to get 1 on 1 and burn them otherwise. If they cheat a safety toward Watkins, CJ/FJ should be able to take better advantage with this new Oline.
              Last edited by mysticsoto; 05-12-2014, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto View Post
                In my opinion, what our Oline picks suggest is that Marrone intends to force teams to play 8 in the box if they want to stop the run which will allow the WRs (Watkins) to get 1 on 1 and burn them otherwise. If they cheat a safety toward Watkins, CJ/FJ should be able to take better advantage with this new Oline.
                Does a rookie offensive lineman really force a team to do anything? Eric Fisher was the #1 pick in the draft last season and frankly was not very good. Similarly, Joeckel and Johnson, both high picks, were not that effective.

Kouandjio may become a very good player, but to ask a guy who is so young (he is only 20 years old) to come in and perform at a high level as a rookie is asking alot. Look at Anthony Davis is SF, he also came into the league at a very young age with lots of upside but he was awful his first year. Obviously he improved and is now very good. Kouandjio may progress much faster but in my mind it is a mistake to expect him to come in and be anything more than servicable as a rookie (which in and of itself would not be bad for the Bills and certaintly does not mean he cannot be more down the road).

Comment

• Buddo
                  • Mar 2007

Does a rookie offensive lineman really force a team to do anything? Eric Fisher was the #1 pick in the draft last season and frankly was not very good. Similarly, Joeckel and Johnson, both high picks, were not that effective.

Kouandjio may become a very good player, but to ask a guy who is so young (he is only 20 years old) to come in and perform at a high level as a rookie is asking alot. Look at Anthony Davis is SF, he also came into the league at a very young age with lots of upside but he was awful his first year. Obviously he improved and is now very good. Kouandjio may progress much faster but in my mind it is a mistake to expect him to come in and be anything more than servicable as a rookie (which in and of itself would not be bad for the Bills and certaintly does not mean he cannot be more down the road).
                  Tbh, I think the crux of the matter, is the fact that unlike previously, pretty much all of the drafted guys, are way better at run blocking than pass pro. I think that means they can contribute significantly, especially for Spiller, as they only have to spring him clear a couple of times a game, for him to do serious damage. 'Servficeable' in pass pro, would be a fair comment, but I for one would espect better than that in run blocking.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                    • Jul 2002

Yep. Exactly right.

Comment

Working...
                    X