X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

ON THE CLOCK: The art and science of the draft day deal

Bills were interested in a rb in the 2nd?

Buffalo knew a run on backs was about to begin and wanted to get in on the action. Whaley had Overdorf call the next few teams in an attempt to get back into the bottom of round two......

The 49ers take Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde, a pre-draft visitor to Buffalo, and the running back run is over.

“They got our guy,” said Monos. “You win some, you lose some.”
    Browns originally wanted a 1st and 3rd.
    A first and a third round pick was the asking price. Whaley and his team worked on formulating a counter offer while St. Louis took offensive tackle Greg Robinson off the board. Shortly thereafter Whaley’s cell phone rang. He answered and left the draft room. It was Cleveland again checking to make sure the Bills were definitely interested. Whaley told them they were and the Browns said they would call back.

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: ON THE CLOCK: The art and science of the draft day deal

link takes me to a table of contents and clicking story doesn't work. anyone else have that issue or is it just my computer? seems like an interesting read. thanks.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
      link takes me to a table of contents and clicking story doesn't work. anyone else have that issue or is it just my computer? seems like an interesting read. thanks.
      looks like they may have removed it. Even tried googling the title but all links lead to that table you're seeing.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Browns originally wanted a 1st and 3rd.

A first and a third round pick was the asking price. Whaley and his team worked on formulating a counter offer while St. Louis took offensive tackle Greg Robinson off the board. Shortly thereafter Whaley’s cell phone rang. He answered and left the draft room. It was Cleveland again checking to make sure the Bills were definitely interested. Whaley told them they were and the Browns said they would call back.

Whaley managed to get down to a 1st and 4th, just a tad better.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
          • Feb 2009

I am becoming more convinced CJ Spiller wont be a Bill in a year or 2

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

if you had to speculate, do you think pettine getting the cleveland job influenced this trade at all? From his previous year end, did he kind of get some idea of what the bills would or wouldn't give up where as other teams didn't really know and just tried to gouge the bills because it was a top5 pick?

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
              I am becoming more convinced CJ Spiller wont be a Bill in a year or 2
              or FJ.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

if you had to speculate, do you think pettine getting the cleveland job influenced this trade at all? From his previous year end, did he kind of get some idea of what the bills would or wouldn't give up where as other teams didn't really know and just tried to gouge the bills because it was a top5 pick?
                Pettine probably knew how much the Bills like Watkins, and other defensive prospects since he was late leaving the Bills. I doubt however, he dictates the trade - if anything, I'd think he wants a top 5 prospect that can contribute immediately. I have a feeling that should the Jags went with Jonny Football at 3, Cleveland probably would've gone Bortles. There was a gound swell on Bortles Thursday night and he was going to go top 8 for sure.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

In my opinion there's no way of telling since Nix was supposedly still in charge of the draft last year when Pettine just got here. Then again trading down for EJ is something we did a lot of in this draft which Whaley did.
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• X-Era
                    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                    • Feb 2005

This is fascinating. It would be cool to be a fly on the wall in that war room.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                      All-Pro Zoner
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                      This is fascinating. It would be cool to be a fly on the wall in that war room.
                      Very cool perspective. Interesting that they like Hyde that much. I liked him too but trading up for a 2nd when you already have 2 starting RBs? Whaley must have really liked him.

As for Whaley himself, I am just really impressed with the guy. I think he still has some things to learn, but I love his confidence and dedication to a philosophy. You won't ever catch him waffling. He's kind of like the anti-Jauron.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

Doug Whaley is smart. I like listening to him speak. He's clear and concise in what he says.

He inspires confidence, and I think that is pretty awesome.

I'd want to play football for that guy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

here it is....

sacrifice1

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

I think next year's RB crop is going to be better. Gurley and Yeldon are better than anyone that came out this year. Yeldon might actually get beat out for the starting job in Alabama by Derrick Henry. That kid is vicious. Henry was a true freshman last year so he won't available until 2016. He is the next Adrian Peterson.

Comment

• Strongman
                              • Apr 2006

I just watched 'On the Clock' and really thought it was nothing more than a PR fluff piece that was made to make the Bills' front office look competent and a team to any new owner. Basically it was made to help them save their jobs.

A new owner would be smart to dump Brandon and Overdorf who have been big parts of the Bills' losing culture. Whaley deserves a little more time, but when he says the "Now is the time to win," then I have to wonder why he didn't think last year was the time to win.

Comment

Working...
                              X