PDA

View Full Version : Let's poke holes in team's...

D'Angelo Vickers
05-12-2014, 01:38 PM
There is a poster I've noticed since I've been on this board who enjoys poking holes (a lot of the time justified, I will say that) in our Buffalo Bills.

I have been reading some post-draft fodder and I thought I'd create a thread so we can see if there is a perfect team in the NFL, since perfection seems to be required to make the playoffs. I'll start within our division:

New England Patriots

Biggest end of year weakness: No explosive offensive weapons outside of Gronkowski, aging d line, no-name linebacking corp outside of Jerrod Mayo, who is recovering from injury.

Drafted: First round, a smallish D-lineman coming off of a torn ACL, Second round, a backup QB who will never play.

My take: The gap between the Bills and Pats has never been smaller than it was in 2013. The Pats lost one of their best run stoppers, as he signed with Buffalo. The Patriots are still the favorites to win the divison, because they still have Tom Brady. But how could you not agree, the "gap", if there is still a talent gap, is smaller than ever. (Ever=since 2001)

New York Jets

Biggest end of year weakness: No offensive play makers, inferior QB play, questionable coaching, weak at the DB position. (Only Dee Milliner remains)

Drafted: A free safety in the first round, Calvin Pryor. A tight end in the 2nd, Jase Amaro... A db in the 3rd.

My take: Vick, Geno, CJ2K, Eric Decker. Anybody scared? Me neither. This team will still be a cluster-**** on offense, and the QB play will be marginal. As far as I can see, worst case scenario is a split with this team.

Miami Dolphins

Biggest end of year weakness: Replacing Incognito, Martin, and Jake Long. Also need a running back.

Drafted: First round, a right tackle who will play guard (replacing Incognito, a wash at best) Jarvis Landry, a smallish WR with speed. (Sound like all their other WR's?)

My take: The Bills swept the Dolphins last year, giving up multiple sacks and pressures on Tannehill. They then got rid of half of their oline, and are filling the gap with a late round OG/RT tweener. I guess that we aren't the only team with audacity to let a rookie protect their QB?

This can go on and on, feel free to poke holes in other teams. Why? Because there is no perfect team. I'm sure Seattle was concerned over certain positions last year before the season started. Do I think the Bills are going to the Super Bowl? No. Do I think that playoffs are in play? Yes.

All teams are counting on rookies in spots. Most teams will have 2-3 rookie starters AT LEAST.

All teams not named the Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks, Saints, Packers have questions that need to be answered at QB.

All teams not named Patriots, Saints, Packers, Seahawks, Giants or Steelers have coaches who have NEVER proven the ABILITY to win a Super Bowl as a head coach in the NFL.

10 teams in the NFL have head coaches that have experience that is equal to or less than our head coach.

Let's rattle off some more:

Houston: Biggest need: QB. QB's drafted: 0.

Carolina: Biggest need: OT. OT's drafted: 0.

My point, to say that there is some huge talent gap or that the Bills are "nowhere close" to the playoffs is idiotic. Can I guarantee what will happen? Of course not. Nobody can. If any team had the perfect situation to be able to have their player of choice at each and every position, I'd say cancel the season. The Bills are closer than they've been since 1999 and will prove it this year.

D'Angelo Vickers
05-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Rams: Capped a great draft with a publicity stunt that could be divisive in the locker room. Best case scenario is they get a Hard Knocks deal, some free pub, and the support of liberal America behind them.

Still had to watch their draft pick kiss a guy on TV. Can I say that without getting banned.............for life?

YardRat
05-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Nice post.

Bill Cody
05-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Not to be overly simplistic but if we get more out of the QB position this year (and we might) we'll be in the mix. If we don't we won't.

BuffaloRedleg
05-12-2014, 02:00 PM
You guys will not let this thing rest with Sam.

The people who hate the attention he is getting are worse than the people who love the attention he's getting.

You are only making it worse by constantly bringing it up. I can't stress this enough-- it won't go away until the people who "hate" it drop it.

D'Angelo Vickers
05-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Can we not talk about Sam? I only responded to a comment.

The point of my thread is I can point out, at will, problems with every team in the league.

One thing that can't be measured or detected, but plays a huge role, is chemistry.

psubills62
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Technically, Houston did draft a QB. But I like the post.

D'Angelo Vickers
05-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Technically, Houston did draft a QB. But I like the post.

Houston is going to trot Ryan Fitzpatrick out next year. ::hole poked::
Oakland is either starting a rookie Derek Carr or Matt Shaub. ::hole poked::
Cleveland will either start Manziel or Hoyer, and won't have their best WR, and didn't draft his replacement ::hole poked::
Jacksonville with either start Bortles or Chad Henne ::hole poked::

Buffalogic
05-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Rams: Capped a great draft with a publicity stunt that could be divisive in the locker room. Best case scenario is they get a Hard Knocks deal, some free pub, and the support of liberal America behind them.It was marketing genius to draft him with their final pick. No commitment and they are piling up the jersey sales. Smart financial move.

BuffaloRedleg
05-12-2014, 03:28 PM
To be fair, the thread title talks about poking holes.

Sorry...couldn't resist. Last one I promise

You are a regular Carlos Mencia.

EDS
05-12-2014, 03:29 PM
There is a poster I've noticed since I've been on this board who enjoys poking holes (a lot of the time justified, I will say that) in our Buffalo Bills.

I have been reading some post-draft fodder and I thought I'd create a thread so we can see if there is a perfect team in the NFL, since perfection seems to be required to make the playoffs. I'll start within our division:

New England Patriots

Biggest end of year weakness: No explosive offensive weapons outside of Gronkowski, aging d line, no-name linebacking corp outside of Jerrod Mayo, who is recovering from injury.

Drafted: First round, a smallish D-lineman coming off of a torn ACL, Second round, a backup QB who will never play.

My take: The gap between the Bills and Pats has never been smaller than it was in 2013. The Pats lost one of their best run stoppers, as he signed with Buffalo. The Patriots are still the favorites to win the divison, because they still have Tom Brady. But how could you not agree, the "gap", if there is still a talent gap, is smaller than ever. (Ever=since 2001)

New York Jets

Biggest end of year weakness: No offensive play makers, inferior QB play, questionable coaching, weak at the DB position. (Only Dee Milliner remains)

Drafted: A free safety in the first round, Calvin Pryor. A tight end in the 2nd, Jase Amaro... A db in the 3rd.

My take: Vick, Geno, CJ2K, Eric Decker. Anybody scared? Me neither. This team will still be a cluster-**** on offense, and the QB play will be marginal. As far as I can see, worst case scenario is a split with this team.

Miami Dolphins

Biggest end of year weakness: Replacing Incognito, Martin, and Jake Long. Also need a running back.

Drafted: First round, a right tackle who will play guard (replacing Incognito, a wash at best) Jarvis Landry, a smallish WR with speed. (Sound like all their other WR's?)

My take: The Bills swept the Dolphins last year, giving up multiple sacks and pressures on Tannehill. They then got rid of half of their oline, and are filling the gap with a late round OG/RT tweener. I guess that we aren't the only team with audacity to let a rookie protect their QB?

This can go on and on, feel free to poke holes in other teams. Why? Because there is no perfect team. I'm sure Seattle was concerned over certain positions last year before the season started. Do I think the Bills are going to the Super Bowl? No. Do I think that playoffs are in play? Yes.

All teams are counting on rookies in spots. Most teams will have 2-3 rookie starters AT LEAST.

All teams not named the Broncos, Patriots, Seahawks, Saints, Packers have questions that need to be answered at QB.

All teams not named Patriots, Saints, Packers, Seahawks, Giants or Steelers have coaches who have NEVER proven the ABILITY to win a Super Bowl as a head coach in the NFL.

10 teams in the NFL have head coaches that have experience that is equal to or less than our head coach.

Let's rattle off some more:

Houston: Biggest need: QB. QB's drafted: 0.

Carolina: Biggest need: OT. OT's drafted: 0.

My point, to say that there is some huge talent gap or that the Bills are "nowhere close" to the playoffs is idiotic. Can I guarantee what will happen? Of course not. Nobody can. If any team had the perfect situation to be able to have their player of choice at each and every position, I'd say cancel the season. The Bills are closer than they've been since 1999 and will prove it this year.

NE: Good point on lack of explosive offensive playmakers. That said, they did not have those guys last season and at least some of the rookies they employed last season will likely improve. If nothing else their depth is better. Health of the interior of their DL is key - if healthy they do have lots of talent. As far as the linebackers, they have Mayo, Hightower and Collins at LB, so not sure about the no names statement. At the end of the day, they are still setting themselves up for playing with a lead and forcing opponents to throw against them (hence bulking up on CBs, getting Collins into the line-up to add more speed and taking some flyers on pass rushers (easley and Smith for example).

Jets: They were so awful last year on so many fronts (defensive line obviously not included, which is clearly an enormous strength). Can their QB and WR play be worse then last season? Arguably no, and they at least have options this season. Decker and Amaro are better then anything they had at those positions in 2013. Vick is far from great, and Smith was awful last season, but both can be bad in 2014 and it would still be a huge improvement over 2013. On defense, their front 7 is solid but they likely wil be playing lots of young DBs (Milliner, Pryor, etc.) so will have some serious growing pains.

Miami: Looks like they drafted two offensive line-man fairly early, in addition to signing free agents Albert and Smith, to go along with holdover Pouncey. That is about as much as you can hope to accomplish in one off-season and likely an improvement over 2013. At running back they did sign Moreno so have made an effort to find a solid move the chains back. Also, Landry is far from a speed receiver, so perhaps you need to revisit that comment.

D'Angelo Vickers
05-12-2014, 04:15 PM
NE: Good point on lack of explosive offensive playmakers. That said, they did not have those guys last season and at least some of the rookies they employed last season will likely improve. If nothing else their depth is better. Health of the interior of their DL is key - if healthy they do have lots of talent. As far as the linebackers, they have Mayo, Hightower and Collins at LB, so not sure about the no names statement. At the end of the day, they are still setting themselves up for playing with a lead and forcing opponents to throw against them (hence bulking up on CBs, getting Collins into the line-up to add more speed and taking some flyers on pass rushers (easley and Smith for example).

Jets: They were so awful last year on so many fronts (defensive line obviously not included, which is clearly an enormous strength). Can their QB and WR play be worse then last season? Arguably no, and they at least have options this season. Decker and Amaro are better then anything they had at those positions in 2013. Vick is far from great, and Smith was awful last season, but both can be bad in 2014 and it would still be a huge improvement over 2013. On defense, their front 7 is solid but they likely wil be playing lots of young DBs (Milliner, Pryor, etc.) so will have some serious growing pains.

Miami: Looks like they drafted two offensive line-man fairly early, in addition to signing free agents Albert and Smith, to go along with holdover Pouncey. That is about as much as you can hope to accomplish in one off-season and likely an improvement over 2013. At running back they did sign Moreno so have made an effort to find a solid move the chains back. Also, Landry is far from a speed receiver, so perhaps you need to revisit that comment.

So how do you rank the AFCE?

Typ0
05-12-2014, 04:29 PM
NE is ripe to be plucked this year.

JoeMama
05-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Rams: Capped a great draft with a publicity stunt that could be divisive in the locker room. Best case scenario is they get a Hard Knocks deal, some free pub, and the support of liberal America behind them.

Don't worry, black people are demographically the most homophobic people on the planet. If you want this to end badly, maybe you'll get your wish.

Their tiny negro brains can't process the word "homophobia" and their big negro lips can't pronounce it correctly.

Black people...

EDS
05-12-2014, 04:43 PM
So how do you rank the AFCE?

NE and then everybody else.

Arguably, out of Miami New York and Buffalo the team with the best QB play will have the best chance of finishing second in the division and possibly getting a wild card. Obviously that changes if Brady goes down with an injury.

Skooby
05-12-2014, 05:43 PM
All I know is if I'm in a bar & the guys are making out, it's my fault for being there & not theirs.

swiper
05-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Houston is going to trot Ryan Fitzpatrick out next year. ::hole poked::
Oakland is either starting a rookie Derek Carr or Matt Shaub. ::hole poked::
Cleveland will either start Manziel or Hoyer, and won't have their best WR, and didn't draft his replacement ::hole poked::
Jacksonville with either start Bortles or Chad Henne ::hole poked::

ALL of those QBs are >>> Manuel. "hole poked"

swiper
05-12-2014, 06:21 PM
It was marketing genius to draft him with their final pick. No commitment and they are piling up the jersey sales. Smart financial move.

DANNY BATTEN POWER had his order in since Saturday. He replaced the name with "I take it in the ass".

swiper
05-12-2014, 07:58 PM
Try-hard post, tbh.

Right.

I can answer that question though, while gayblades and their supporters can't answer mine--therein lies the difference. Anybody has the right to take it up the ass or get their tonsils coated in semen, I just don't get:

1. Why there needs to be a big show/all this pageantry about it
2. Why supposed hetero males champion their cause when they have no dog in the fight and it's not their struggle.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/223894-Rams-take-Sam/page4

BuffaloRedleg
05-13-2014, 01:45 AM
It is amazing how cultural conversation in this country is basically a straight sprint to victim-hood, on both sides of most arguments.

The only people I trust anymore are the people who genuinely don't give a **** either way. Everyone else has some sort of agenda.

Victimhood is next to godliness in this country nowadays and you are all perfect examples.

The bottom line is that this isn't even a discussion. You don't get to chose whether ESPN does or does not show two dudes making out. You thinking it is beautiful or gross is completely 100% irrelevant. That is just not the way this world works.

I think 2 fat people making out is 100 times more gross than two dudes, but there is nothing I can do about it. I don't get everything I want and I can't avoid everything I think is gross. That is just a fact of life and things will be fine, I'm not going to go up in flames. Complaining about it is useless because my complaints don't matter. If ESPN starts showing fat people in love and has them making out there is nothing I can do about it. Maybe I don't want my kids (well, when I have them) thinking that being fat is okay so I don't want him being around fat people. They will make him fat and give him unhealthy food. 2 fat people making out will make him think it is okay and you can still find love and happiness when you are fat. Crazy right? Especially if I took a poll and found out the average weight of people on this forum.

You guys all need to come down from your proverbial crosses on all sides of this argument. This whole "I'm a victim" thing every single time something comes up controversial in America is old and sad.

D'Angelo Vickers
05-13-2014, 07:37 AM
ALL of those QBs are >>> Manuel. "hole poked"

Really? Blake Bortles, Chad Henne, Fitzpatrick, Matt Shaub and Derek Carr, two of which haven't ever played in the NFL, are better than Manuel.

Look, I'm not a huge Manuel fan, but that is one of those comments that clearly is just trolling.

swiper
05-14-2014, 12:16 PM
ROFL. Just because Manuel has thrown a pass at the NFL level gives him credibility over the rookies? I don't think so. I guess that makes Akili Smith, Tony Eason and Ryan Leaf better than Bortles too. Some of the posters here are just unbelievably stupid.

Fletch
05-15-2014, 10:47 AM

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Miami Dolphins

And yet, the Pats were 12-4 again last season and will probably be again this season.

And yet, the Fins were 8-8 and have had an equal or better record than we've had since '07.

And yet, the Jets were 8-8 last season and have also had an equal or better record than we've had since '07.

Fletch
05-15-2014, 10:54 AM

There is something called competence, competent decision making regarding personnel/player moves, hiring the right coaches, competence in coaching, competent play on the parts of players.

Many of the teams you implicitly mention have much better people in those positions. Also, if the Patriots were in the NFC West this or last season, do you really think they'd have been 12-4? I don't.

etc.

There's been one big change on this team, OK, two, between this and last season. Byrd out, Spikes, who can't cover the pass at all, in. And Watkins. That's pretty much it.

If Manuel plays like he did last season, we'll be 4-12 with an aged Jackson and Stevie gone.

If he improves, how much is he going to improve by? Because with Spiller as the bell cow now, IMO it's going to take a Brady-like season last year, 24 TDs, to put this team into the playoffs.

Does anyone really see Manuel putting up similar numbers to what Brady did last year despite the fact that Brady had two rookies, Gronk for half the season, Amendola, and only Edelman as a WR that had caught a pass from him prior to the season, and only 69 in four prior seasons at that?

How is this going to happen? Show us the spread of TD catches amongst our cast of WRs.

Fletch
05-15-2014, 11:09 AM
How come no one sees the obvious here?

Here's the reality:

Whaley realizes that the team's up for sale. He also realizes, how can he not, that Manuel wasn't quite what he thought that Manuel was in several ways.

His butt is on the line, so he goes all-in on doing something that in his world, apparently without consulting any NFL history or anything, thinks will help Manuel, and once again gives up more for a player than he should and selects a WR.

Naturally he selects a WR of the variety that has had early success in the NFL, those in the mold of AJ Green and Megatron, that 6'4"/230 lb. variety, right?

Nope! Not here in Buffalo. No, he goes for a 6'1"/205 guy who's success in college was largely predicated upon a system and a QB that threw 30-some passes in each of the last three seasons? A QB that was available oh just by the way with all but our 7th rounders. Think it may have been smart to grab him at some point late given the Watkins pick and Boyd's ridiculous production in college. I do.

Whaley's all but in grasping at straws mode. No rookie WR has ever taken their 6-10 team to the playoffs. Only a few have even posted 1,000 yard seasons. Even Megatron didn't hit 1,000 yards as a rookie. Neither did Andre Johnson, two of the best today.

In fact, of last season's top-10 receivers, only one posted over 1,000 yards or more than 5 TDs in his rookie season, that was AJ Green who's 6'4".

Mike Evans would have been a much better pick to achieve the goal at hand as stated by Whaley.

We'll see, but one thing that shouldn't be a question here amongst posters is that should we not make the playoffs, Whaley should have no more credibility. Anyone supporting him at that point can only be said to be drinking the koolaid.

Picking Watkins was just as much a hedge for his Manuel pick than anything else. If Manuel tanks, so does Whaley. They said it after last year's draft and it's true now.