PDA

View Full Version : Fred Jackson

Buffalogic
05-12-2014, 02:55 PM
If Dixon and Brown have impressive training camps, what are the odds Fred gets cut outright? Thoughts?

The King
05-12-2014, 02:58 PM
None. The Bills are more interested in Freddy than they are in Cj. In every chance Marrone got last year he praised Jackson. He's a workhorse who gets tough yards. He's the type of player coaches dream of. Also if he's let go… NE will pick him up in a second.

What has CJ done to keep his job?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-12-2014, 02:58 PM
Anything's possible I suppose, but this is his last year as a Bill regardless.

Uncle Jesse
05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I could see Spiller traded, and gone before Jackson.

Jaybird
05-12-2014, 03:03 PM
no chance would they ever cut Jackson... plenty of teams would give up a pick for him. having said that, I can see the bill s moving Spiller for a Second round or maybe even a first round pick.

jimmifli
05-12-2014, 03:12 PM
A small but real chance. Freddie has been under appreciated by every OC and coach he's had as a Bill. I don't trust these guys to see, that despite being the oldest RB in the NFL, he's still the best on our roster.

BertSquirtgum
05-12-2014, 03:13 PM
None. The Bills are more interested in Freddy than they are in Cj. In every chance Marrone got last year he praised Jackson. He's a workhorse who gets tough yards. He's the type of player coaches dream of. Also if he's let go… NE will pick him up in a second.

CJ has been overrated since the day he was drafted.

The King
05-12-2014, 03:29 PM
CJ has been overrated since the day he was drafted.
I don't think he's over rated. The skills are there, the work ethic and focus are not. How many times can your try to kick it out and miss your hole?

mysticsoto
05-12-2014, 03:30 PM
no chance would they ever cut Jackson... plenty of teams would give up a pick for him. having said that, I can see the bill s moving Spiller for a Second round or maybe even a first round pick.

??? We got a 4th for Marshawn Lynch and you expect a 2nd, possibly a 1st for CJ? A 3rd would probably be the highest offer...

EDS
05-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Why do people want to get rid of the few decent players the Bills have? Is it just because there is a shiny unproven player on the roster with no history of performance?

Night Train
05-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Zero.

I like the Brown trade but Fred retires on his terms. He's still our horse until proven otherwise and Spiller may be in his final year .. while Fred sticks around longer.

Mr. Pink
05-12-2014, 03:37 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if either Spiller or Jackson was moved before the start of the season for likely a 2015 draft pick.

I'd guess that Spiller holds more trade value at this time, so I'd expect him to be moved more than Jackson but who knows.

I don't see any way or reason they head into the season with 4 running backs nor do I see them releasing Dixon so quickly.

EDS
05-12-2014, 03:56 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if either Spiller or Jackson was moved before the start of the season for likely a 2015 draft pick.

I'd guess that Spiller holds more trade value at this time, so I'd expect him to be moved more than Jackson but who knows.

I don't see any way or reason they head into the season with 4 running backs nor do I see them releasing Dixon so quickly.

Dixon will be lucky to make the team.

HAMMER
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Chances are pretty good he will be let go if he is outperformed significantly.

Typ0
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Spiller can be replaced. Fred Jackson cannot be replaced. There is a layer of intangible you don't **** with in Jackson. If he shows up healthy and ready to go another season he's not going anywhere but up on the wall.

Novacane
05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
I hope not. The Pats will pick him up and he'll kill of for a couple years!!

Buddo
05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Next to no chance this year.
The only guy who actually made a bunch of plays when we were in desperate need of them, on offense.
The only RB we have who can be trusted to pick up blitzers.
He may not be a home run threat, but he sure as heck can punish you with big lumps of yards.
If it was me, I'd look to extend him another year now, if for nothing else than his leadership.
People still waffle on about 'Beast Mode', but watch a few games when Fred has run angry, it's a joy to behold.
Sure, the time is approaching when he will no longer be the force he has been, but it isn't going to be this year, and behind the potentially good run blocking line we might have, will be surprising people still late on into the season.

Buddo
05-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Spiller can be replaced. Fred Jackson cannot be replaced. There is a layer of intangible you don't **** with in Jackson. If he shows up healthy and ready to go another season he's not going anywhere but up on the wall.

While I wouldn't want to replace Spiller, the second part echoes my sentiments very well.

Mindbender
05-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Did all of you talking about a Spiller trade forget that an Eagles trade offer was rebuffed?

trapezeus
05-12-2014, 04:43 PM
personally, i think the ability to get some big bodies on the line and getting some depth players in UFA shows that the bills are putting some importance on line play. if they backs perform well during the year because the line is performing well, i think they are going to play hardball with contract negotiations and say, "we have a line that anyone can succeed behind."

And the truth is FJ is getting old. i almost expect him to miss some time next year simply because of his age. Therefore, the bills front office is giving the coach options and not relying solely on CJ. BEcause if he's the only reliable back in a FJ injury, then he is more likely to get injured

I honestly don't think they hvae a plan for next year. if CJ sucks and Freddie runs wild, i think they'll let CJ go and go with fred and brown if he does well.

I think the run game could be a lot of fun if EJ is accurate and watkins is the game changer we think he can be.

Woodman
05-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Everybody (Fred, C.J. and Bryce) are good for this year after that who know's, I guess anything can happen.

If Spiller and Brown have very productive seasons Jackson could be playing his final season as a Bill.

We have COMPETITION for sure and that's always heathy.

Buffalogic
05-12-2014, 04:51 PM

Well he won't be a 33 year old running back. That's what he has going for him.

Nobody is looking to get rid of Fred, like some poster suggested, but I think there is a real chance of him getting cut. Nobody is going to trade for an old RB. He also has missed many games due to injury over the past few seasons. Hell, nobody traded for desean and we only got a fourth for Lynch. To think Fred is going to fetch a pick is nice, but it's a dream.

With their willingness to let go of Stevie, it shows they are ready to go with youth and 'their' players. CJ is young so he is more likely to stay put. If that is in fact their midset, the next logical move is probably to cut Jackson and use Brown-Spiller combo with Dixon as the short yardage/goaline back.

cookie G
05-12-2014, 05:01 PM
A small but real chance. Freddie has been under appreciated by every OC and coach he's had as a Bill. I don't trust these guys to see, that despite being the oldest RB in the NFL, he's still the best on our roster.

I don't know if he's been under appreciated by coaches, but every year people openly wonder if he'll be gone.

Its been going on since he got here.

He's Butch from Pulp Fiction...

"That's how I win, keep under estimating me".

As far as Im concerned, he's earned the right to leave on his own terms.

coastal
05-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I don't know if he's been under appreciated by coaches, but every year people openly wonder if he'll be gone.

Its been going on since he got here.

He's Butch from Pulp Fiction...

"That's how win, keep under estimating me".

As far as Im concerned, he's earned the right to leave on his own terms.
Damn straight...

JoeMama
05-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Damn straight...

Count me in for a second damn straight.

F-Jax continues to go about his business and prove everybody wrong, year in year out.

When he's gone, we'll feel his absence, I promise that.

Turf
05-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Frank Gore's still playing, no reason Freddie can't.

EDS
05-12-2014, 06:05 PM

Gore is younger than Freddy, though obviously has more wear and tear. Of course, SF has used picks in the last two drafts for eventual replacements.

Buffalogic
05-12-2014, 06:08 PM
Same exact situation. They are overloaded with backs too. Wouldn't be shocked if Gore was a casualty either. Hyde, Lattimore, Hunter, James...

swiper
05-12-2014, 06:29 PM
If Dixon and Brown have impressive training camps, what are the odds Fred gets cut outright? Thoughts?

One of the most ridiculous things I have ever read here. And this board is full of stupid ****.

Fred Jackson is the best RB and best player on the team.

GvilleBills
05-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Blasphemy!

GvilleBills
05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Count me in for a second damn straight.

F-Jax continues to go about his business and prove everybody wrong, year in year out.

When he's gone, we'll feel his absence, I promise that.

Damn straight x 3

Buffalogic
05-12-2014, 07:11 PM
One of the most ridiculous things I have ever read here. And this board is full of stupid ****.

Fred Jackson is the best RB and best player on the team.
Too far in the forest to see the trees.

swiper
05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Yes you appear to be.

RedEyE
05-12-2014, 07:40 PM
The Bills are definitly evaluating the run game THIS off season. Consider the first round the Bills gave up for Watkins in 2015 and they could be jockeying to trade Spiller to the highest bidder and use some extra picks to move up into the 1st round (if necessary) next draft. . Spiller's due 6$ this year and another 4.5$ next. He has yet to turn the corner. Dances east to west. Crappy ass pass blocking. Doesn't finish his runs.

I wouldnt be shocked.

The King
05-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Did all of you talking about a Spiller trade forget that an Eagles trade offer was rebuffed?
His value is null right now, wait until a starter goes down in the preseason.

The King
05-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Well he won't be a 33 year old running back. That's what he has going for him.

Nobody is looking to get rid of Fred, like some poster suggested, but I think there is a real chance of him getting cut. Nobody is going to trade for an old RB. He also has missed many games due to injury over the past few seasons. Hell, nobody traded for desean and we only got a fourth for Lynch. To think Fred is going to fetch a pick is nice, but it's a dream.

With their willingness to let go of Stevie, it shows they are ready to go with youth and 'their' players. CJ is young so he is more likely to stay put. If that is in fact their midset, the next logical move is probably to cut Jackson and use Brown-Spiller combo with Dixon as the short yardage/goaline back.

Stevie being compared to Fred? Have you ever seen him play, have you ever heard this staff talk about him? I want to delete this post forever so no one else has to suffer through reading it.

GingerP
05-12-2014, 08:10 PM
Spiller's due 6$ this year and another 4.5$ next.

Spiller can void his deal after this season and will be a FA in 2015. He has openly talked about it, even reaching out to Byrd to discuss handling his pending FA:

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8959/spiller-will-hire-agent-reach-out-to-byrd

That hurts his trade value as well, as any team trading for him is doing it as a 1-year rental or will have to pay him a lucrative extension. Given the down market for RB, the compensation the Bills would receive for him comes nowhere near his value to them this year.

As for Jackson, he is a heart-and-soul player. You don't get rid of those guys.

TacklingDummy
05-12-2014, 09:04 PM

Did XEra change his name again?

mikemac2001
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
NAME ATT YDS AVG LONG 20+ TD YDS/G FUM FUML 1DN
C.J. Spiller 202 933 4.6 77 9 2 62.2 4 1 26
Fred Jackson 206 890 4.3 59 1 9 55.6 2 0 54

Pretty sure they both can play and play together

WagonCircler
05-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I don't think he's over rated. The skills are there, the work ethic and focus are not. How many times can your try to kick it out and miss your hole?

I honestly think he has asthma.

Buffalogic
05-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Stevie being compared to Fred? Have you ever seen him play, have you ever heard this staff talk about him? I want to delete this post forever so no one else has to suffer through reading it.
You are missing the point. Fred's great, but he has reached his ceiling and his best days are behind him. We just brought in two younger guys, one we traded for. We also have a top 10 draft pick RB on the roster. The logical cut is the 33 year old often injured player. It's not blasphemy to say they may go with the youthful upside.

Crisis
05-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Ah, the yearly "Is Freddie done?" thread.

He always shuts everyone up week 1.

swiper
05-13-2014, 04:21 AM
Ah, the yearly "Is Freddie done?" thread.

He always shuts everyone up week 1.

He sure does.

The King
05-13-2014, 07:35 AM
You are missing the point. Fred's great, but he has reached his ceiling and his best days are behind him. We just brought in two younger guys, one we traded for. We also have a top 10 draft pick RB on the roster. The logical cut is the 33 year old often injured player. It's not blasphemy to say they may go with the youthful upside.

Is it logical to cut the constant performer for guys with "potential"? A by potential I mean the potential to be a constant performer.

kishoph
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
??? We got a 4th for Marshawn Lynch and you expect a 2nd, possibly a 1st for CJ? A 3rd would probably be the highest offer...

When we traded Lynch, he was not close to being the RB he is today and he also had many off field problems, Spiller is largely considered one of the most explosive backs in the NFL who has a career rushing average over 5 yds. per carry and is also a major threat out of the backfield. Many teams could build their offense around him and be successful in doing so. Getting anything less than a high 2nd would be a terrible trade. The Bills just got a 3rd (conditional) for Stevie, no way in the world would they only receive a 3rd for CJ

mysticsoto
05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
When we traded Lynch, he was not close to being the RB he is today and he also had many off field problems, Spiller is largely considered one of the most explosive backs in the NFL who has a career rushing average over 5 yds. per carry and is also a major threat out of the backfield. Many teams could build their offense around him and be successful in doing so. Getting anything less than a high 2nd would be a terrible trade. The Bills just got a 3rd (conditional) for Stevie, no way in the world would they only receive a 3rd for CJ

RBs aren't worth much right now. And Spiller has done nothing yet to distinguish himself in this area.

I do agree w/you that it would be a terrible trade. I wouldn't have traded Lynch for a 4th or Stevie for a conditional 4th either for that matter. However, when Spiller's (and FJ's) contract is done next yr, Though I like both, now it becomes about $$$ (this is a business) and in all likelihood, they will probably be gone unless they lower their cap hits substantially.

GingerP
05-13-2014, 10:38 AM

The market for RB is a little different now, they don't have a lot of value. Also, when Lynch was traded he had 2 years left on his contract, while Spiller only has 1. Any team that trades for him is looking at a 1-year rental, or face signing him to an extension that will pay enough to have him give up free agency after the season. He also has never shown he can be a feature back, so fair or not he is a part-time player.

Trading him makes no sense, they wouldn't get anywhere near value.

stuckincincy
05-13-2014, 11:37 AM
I can't see sense in this thread. If Fred looks ok in camp, he gets the edge because of past performance. As somebody posted above, he garnered 54 first downs.

The Jokeman
05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Is it logical to cut the constant performer for guys with "potential"? A by potential I mean the potential to be a constant performer.

We did it when we elected to take Watkins and dump Stevie.

Bill Cody
05-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Before we start trading guys let's see who survives camp in one piece. Personally I think the Bills are going to lead the NFL in carries this year so depth has never been more important.

justasportsfan
05-13-2014, 01:39 PM

His best days are behind him? How so? He had his best TD season and is still the best blocking rb in the league. Whaley made it clear that they need to win NOW and FJ has been the most productive player in terms of TD's.

IMO, they brought Brown in now so he can learn the system in case Spiller leaves. If FJ does not produce he will be gone too.

justasportsfan
05-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Lesean McCoy ✔ @CutonDime25
Follow

@Fred22Jackson I ain't know if it was u ... Thought u were a lil to OLD!! for twitter lol but grandpa Freddy u a beast (real talk)

Lesean McCoy ✔ @CutonDime25

@Fred22Jackson yeah fam just let me know a number ....but wait is this really u???

Fred Jackson ✔ @Fred22Jackson
Follow

@CutonDime25 Oh yeah! It's Me! Open up that check book Bruh Bruh and let me know what u wanna lose!
2:21 PM - 12 May 2014

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/fred-jackson-lesean-mccoy-twitter-bet-over-bryce-brown-051214

Mouldsie
05-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Zero.

But I'd love it if they traded him to a real contender like SF or Denver because I'm sick of watching a warrior like him lose and get disrespected

Fletch
05-15-2014, 11:12 AM

They won't cut Jackson. Given this "win now" philosophy, they'd be stupid to cut him.

... then again ...

They shouldn't have let go of Stevie. What's a 4th rounder next year if the focus is on win now? Seems to me that Manuel should have had all the familiar WRs around him as possible if this team really wants to win now. Only blind Whaley supporters will see it differently.

Jackson's not going to put up good numbers, but he'll be good at times. He's been rather pedestrian over the last two seasons averaging a below-average 4.0 ypc or so. That's not going to be improving this season unless it's on many fewer carries.

Fletch
05-15-2014, 11:18 AM
BTW, what's all of this hype and overemphasis on Brown? It's like Philly is a used car dealership and we're believing everything that they're telling us about this hidden secret gem.

The guy barely ran the ball in college and the last time he did, for an all but irrelevant 460 yards and 3 TDs, it was 2009.

In two seasons in Philly he's run for more than 54 yards in three games, all three against below average to poor defenses, once in a blowout win for the Eagles.

He's had only 4 pro games with more than 9 carries and only once has he carried for 20 or more carries.

The guy's a backup, why is everyone talking like he's going to be that 3-down RB that we need? I don't get it.

At best, if Jackson finally sees age catch up with him, something that should be expected, he'll spell Spiller who's also an inadequate starter.

Fletch
05-15-2014, 11:19 AM
Zero.

But I'd love it if they traded him to a real contender like SF or Denver because I'm sick of watching a warrior like him lose and get disrespected

Jackson got screwed having to sit behind Lynch for a couple of seasons. Some of us saw back then that he was the better RB but the team kept having to force its 1st-rounder. Jackson was a better back in his prime than Lynch is in his.

Dr. Lecter
05-15-2014, 11:42 AM
We did it when we elected to take Watkins and dump Stevie.

Watkins has the potential and ability to be way more than a consistent performer.

stuckincincy
05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Before we start trading guys let's see who survives camp in one piece. Personally I think the Bills are going to lead the NFL in carries this year so depth has never been more important.

If that happens, it may mean that they can't pass and hope to win.

swiper
05-15-2014, 12:44 PM
I would love nothing more than to see the Bills win the Super Bowl and FJax get the MVP. Sadly that would have to mean that Manuel complete some passes over 8 yards into the flat. So my expectations are low.

Buffalogic
05-15-2014, 01:06 PM
BTW, what's all of this hype and overemphasis on Brown? It's like Philly is a used car dealership and we're believing everything that they're telling us about this hidden secret gem.

The guy barely ran the ball in college and the last time he did, for an all but irrelevant 460 yards and 3 TDs, it was 2009.

In two seasons in Philly he's run for more than 54 yards in three games, all three against below average to poor defenses, once in a blowout win for the Eagles.

He's had only 4 pro games with more than 9 carries and only once has he carried for 20 or more carries.

The guy's a backup, why is everyone talking like he's going to be that 3-down RB that we need? I don't get it.

At best, if Jackson finally sees age catch up with him, something that should be expected, he'll spell Spiller who's also an inadequate starter.Brown has all the measureables you want in a starting back. He ripped it up in 2012, fantasy players will recall. Wasn't successful in Kelly's system and they have Polk and Sproles who they want to give carries to. This is not a buyer beware situation.

Fletch
05-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Brown has all the measureables you want in a starting back. He ripped it up in 2012, fantasy players will recall. Wasn't successful in Kelly's system and they have Polk and Sproles who they want to give carries to. This is not a buyer beware situation.

You sound like someone that's been watching football for a couple of years. Hasn't experience taught you that just because a player has "measurables" that he's hardly prone to making it in the NFL? Come on ...

I'm not saying it's a "buyer beware" situation because it was only a 4th round pick and we never do **** with our 4th rounders anyway, I'm speaking to all those that seem to think he's Fred's heir apparent or anything close.

Remember James Hardy? He had all the measureables too. So did EJ, Bradham, Aaron Williams, Poszlusny, Mike Williams, ... the list goes on.

All I'm saying is that anyone that's expecting anything more than backup play from him is thinking foolishly.

THATHURMANATOR
05-27-2014, 08:11 AM

0% however after this year he may be gone.

The King
05-27-2014, 09:04 AM
The Bills have one player from the decade of suck who they can trot out as alumni and have the fans go nuts. That player is Fred Jackson. His numbers probably are not Wall of Fame worthy but his story and his heart are. He should be a Bill for life. Once he retires the team should hire him for PR type stuff.

Buffalogic
05-27-2014, 10:08 AM
You sound like someone that's been watching football for a couple of years. Hasn't experience taught you that just because a player has "measurables" that he's hardly prone to making it in the NFL? Come on ...

I'm not saying it's a "buyer beware" situation because it was only a 4th round pick and we never do **** with our 4th rounders anyway, I'm speaking to all those that seem to think he's Fred's heir apparent or anything close.

Remember James Hardy? He had all the measureables too. So did EJ, Bradham, Aaron Williams, Poszlusny, Mike Williams, ... the list goes on.

All I'm saying is that anyone that's expecting anything more than backup play from him is thinking foolishly.
I agree with what you said, but Brown has done it in the NFL. He had success at this level. It's not just college potential, it was realized in 2012. I'm not saying the guy is a superstar, but he has proven he can play well in this league it's up to the bills to squeeze out every drop of that.

HAMMER
05-27-2014, 03:41 PM
The Bills have one player from the decade of suck who they can trot out as alumni and have the fans go nuts. That player is Fred Jackson. His numbers probably are not Wall of Fame worthy but his story and his heart are. He should be a Bill for life. Once he retires the team should hire him for PR type stuff.

I don't think FJ is going to retire on his own, he will get pushed out sooner than later.

The King
05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
I don't think FJ is going to retire on his own, he will get pushed out sooner than later.

He's not going to move his family across the country for a reduced role either.

Buffalogic
05-27-2014, 05:35 PM
He's not going to move his family across the country for a reduced role either.You don't have to move anything for a one or two year contract and that's the best he will get on the open market.