PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign QB

swiper
05-12-2014, 05:44 PM
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014-nfl-undrafted-free-agents

Kenny Guiton QB Ohio State

swiper
05-12-2014, 05:47 PM
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014-nfl-draft/2014/05/35737/kenny-guiton-attend-buffallo-bills-camp

Guiton's greatest moment came in 2012 against Purdue, when he came in for an injured Braxton Miller to lead the Buckeyes to a come-from-behind victory that preserved the Buckeyes' eventual undefeated season:

SpikedLemonade
05-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Wonder why.

This guy is no threat to the QBs on the team.

Camp fodder I guess.

Turf
05-12-2014, 05:57 PM
I guess that tells you what they thought of McCarron.

BertSquirtgum
05-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Gross. Aaaron Murray with the traded 5th would have been much better.

swiper
05-12-2014, 06:25 PM
They need somebody to take QB reps on the practice squad that they can cut at the end of camp. This was to be expected.

DraftBoy
05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
WHALEY IS A LIAR!!

swiper
05-12-2014, 06:39 PM
WHALEY IS A LIAR!!

I was going to extend my last post by saying that that is not necessarily so. It's on a tryout basis.

GvilleBills
05-12-2014, 07:03 PM
I agree, but what's done is done. Guiton is a quick study, and might be a legit threat to Tuel.

No comp for EJ though, OBD has all the eggs in that basket.

RedEyE
05-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Bills probably owed a favor.

mrbojanglezs
05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
seems like a decent prospect for an UDFA, could beat out Tuel

Fixxxer
05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyfXllyCw4

mysticsoto
05-12-2014, 08:14 PM
Tuel looked terrible last year. Unless he's improved, this guy might take his job. If not, I say PS him...I'm a big fan of always having a QB in the PS!

YardRat
05-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I'd rather they spent the cornerback pick on a QB.

Bangarang
05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
I'd have to imagine this is strictly to have a QB throwing the ball at the rookie mini camp next week.

Unless he plays very well id imagine he'd be cut shortly after.

Mr. Pink
05-12-2014, 10:06 PM
Guiton has no business being on an NFL roster.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-12-2014, 10:54 PM
The guy wasn't even the starter at Ohio State. Certainly there was a better option somewhere.

BertSquirtgum
05-13-2014, 01:27 AM
Guiton has no business being on an NFL roster.

Neither does Tuel.

Night Train
05-13-2014, 04:10 AM
The guy wasn't even the starter at Ohio State. Certainly there was a better option somewhere.

That's what happens when Braxton Miller is ahead of you.

Buckeye fan here. As a 2nd stringer coming off the bench, he knows how to move the team down the field and doesn't get rattled.

He'll be a coach the second he's done playing football. Team captain. Uber bright. Mobile. Urban Meyer didn't change his O gameplan when Miller was hurt and Guiton started several games. If he doesn't make it, Urban will hire him.

Rooting for him.

Night Train
05-13-2014, 04:26 AM
http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/5/12/5704092/2014-undrafted-free-agent-signings-kenny-guiton-buffalo-bills

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/5/10/5703276/2014-nfl-draft-prospects-ohio-state-quarterback-kenny-guiton

tampabay25690
05-13-2014, 05:29 AM

Murray would be a clip board holder anyway!!

trapezeus
05-13-2014, 07:27 AM
i kind of get the FO doing what they are doing by going all in on EJ. They drafted him first overall, these guys may not have a gig anyways once the new owner comes in. The time for methodically building has come and gone.

and they cleared a bunch of space with Stevie and Jarius gone. it's an attractive salary situation for the next owner and then they'll base if brandon and co stay based on the general performance of the team. if they got EJ right, they are safe. if they got it wrong, they'll be canned.

ticatfan
05-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Wonder why.

Camp fodder I guess.He needs practice to get ready for the CFL, it is amazing how many players from ohio come north.

trapezeus
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
it's a move that a team makes to push the 3rd string candidates. there are now 3 third stringers. only one will make it...maybe one outperforms thad....but i doubt it.

ublinkwescore
05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
(SARCASM) Why do we have so many black qbs? Is Doug Whaley racist?

The King
05-13-2014, 08:54 AM
We still have Dennis Dixon on the PS. Tuel isn't making the team, he's not athletic enough. And Gutton telegraphs his passes too much he's not making the roster.

What Whaley is trying to do is keep all QB's in the same mold (not racially) but style wise that way if EJ gets hurt the transition doesn't kill the offense.

justasportsfan
05-13-2014, 09:07 AM
maybe this guy was brought in to teach EJ how to run the read option.

psubills62
05-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Guiton's not a bad QB by any means. Not nearly as explosive as Miller, which is why he was the backup, but he's a better passer and all the OSU fans seem to agree that he does a great job with the zone read, in that he always seems to make the right decision. I had thought before that Guiton seems to fit what Marrone and co. are looking for.

stuckincincy
05-13-2014, 09:10 AM
it's a move that a team makes to push the 3rd string candidates. there are now 3 third stringers. only one will make it...maybe one outperforms thad....but i doubt it.

Yup.

The UDFA thing is good - gives youngsters who played football so many years a chance to realize the dream, gives 'em a little jingle and the pleasant memory that they got a shot. Through the years, some of them make rosters, some become stars. It's win-win all around.

BB4ever
05-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Hopefully he comes in and changes the unadequate complexion of the qb position.

ticatfan
05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
The guy wasn't even the starter at Ohio State. Certainly there was a better option somewhere.And how many big college names make it? I have seen many heros of college ball fall flat on their face up here. These no names can be the one.

better days
05-13-2014, 11:03 AM
Murray would be a clip board holder anyway!!

If he even made the team. He does not have the arm to play in the AFC East.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-13-2014, 11:33 AM
And how many big college names make it? I have seen many heros of college ball fall flat on their face up here. These no names can be the one.

Obviously many college players fail, but if a guy couldn't beat out the talent on his college roster, how is one expecting him to compete at an NFL level? Especially at quarterback, which is so heavily dependent on experience.

stuckincincy
05-13-2014, 11:40 AM
If he even made the team. He does not have the arm to play in the AFC East.

What does that mean? I went through the trouble of going through years and years of BUF December games a while back. posted it. Big arm, little arm, BUF was on the losing end.

This "bad weather arm" is a bunch of hooey.

LtFinFan66
05-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Buckeye fan here. As a 2nd stringer coming off the bench, he knows how to move the team down the field and doesn't get rattled.

He'll be a coach the second he's done playing football. Team captain. Uber bright. Mobile. Urban Meyer didn't change his O gameplan when Miller was hurt and Guiton started several games. If he doesn't make it, Urban will hire him.

Rooting for him.Agree 100%. Urban already tried to get him to take a coaching job

WagonCircler
05-13-2014, 05:16 PM
What does that mean? I went through the trouble of going through years and years of BUF December games a while back. posted it. Big arm, little arm, BUF was on the losing end.

This "bad weather arm" is a bunch of hooey.

Flawed logic. While I agree in principle that the big arm thing in Buffalo is overrated, there are two problems with your analysis.

1. The games you researched played in Buffalo in December were not played in a vacuum. Buffalo has an overall losing record home and away in December, home and away not in December. You can't just conclude that it's due to the arm strength of the QB.

2. Wek armed QBs are not all the same, nor are strong armed QBs. Case in point, Ryan Fitzpatrick. His weak arm was his undoing here. On the flip side, EJ Manuel has a very strong arm, but is a legitimate threat to kill small children in the 17th row of any given game.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Wonder why.

Camp fodder I guess.

Better than Tuel, of course I'm probably better than Tuel. I am still in therapy over that TD pass he threw to the Chiefs DB.

BB4ever
05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Flawed logic. While I agree in principle that the big arm thing in Buffalo is overrated, there are two problems with your analysis.

1. The games you researched played in Buffalo in December were not played in a vacuum. Buffalo has an overall losing record home and away in December, home and away not in December. You can't just conclude that it's due to the arm strength of the QB.

2. Wek armed QBs are not all the same, nor are strong armed QBs. Case in point, Ryan Fitzpatrick. His weak arm was his undoing here. On the flip side, EJ Manuel has a very strong arm, but is a legitimate threat to kill small children in the 17th row of any given game.

Fits week arm led us to a 5-2 start and every media outlet was on the bills wagon....what exactly is your point?

WagonCircler
05-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Fits week arm led us to a 5-2 start and every media outlet was on the bills wagon....what exactly is your point?

You'll find no bigger Fitz fan than me, but his arm withered and was no longer adequate to win games for us. He lost the power and accuracy required to win games in the NFL, and that's why he's not here anymore.

Whether it was due to injury or overuse (there was a lot of talk of "dead-arm" towards the end) it was his arm that caused his exit.

That being said, it had nothing to do with the weather.

swiper
05-14-2014, 07:39 AM
His arm withered, alright. Whether it was do to overuse as the season progressed or the colder weather as the season progressed, he definitely had that pattern through his time in Buffalo. Ivy League QBs can't do a little weight training?

Mr. Pink
05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Better than Tuel, of course I'm probably better than Tuel. I am still in therapy over that TD pass he threw to the Chiefs DB.

I don't think he's better than Tuel, tbh.

I've watched plenty of Ohio State football, he's basically a run only QB.

WagonCircler
05-14-2014, 01:42 PM
His arm withered, alright. Whether it was do to overuse as the season progressed or the colder weather as the season progressed, he definitely had that pattern through his time in Buffalo. Ivy League QBs can't do a little weight training?

Weight training won't help dead arm. Training your legs and core can help, that's why baseball pitchers do it, especially the best ones, but no QB or pitcher lifts weights with their arms.

In a weird way, Fitz's problems are equivalent to EJs, just different types. Both are pretty much unfixable. Fitz lacked the natural arm talent, EJ lacks natural accuracy/mechanics/muscle memory. Not really much you can do about those problems. You can do things to help improve a little bit, but not enough.

And when you throw in EJs weak knees, it spells doom.

- - - Updated - - -

he's basically a run only QB.

I sense a pattern.

SaviorEdwards
05-14-2014, 03:18 PM

Rooting for him.

I'm glad you can get cheap #13 jerseys now...time to rip off the old name and put Guiton on the back :)

BB4ever
05-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Your basically wrong. Why in the world would urban want to hire him as a qb coach if he was basicallyca run only Qb? Im taking your statements with a grain of salt ej homer.

Mr. Pink
05-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Your basically wrong. Why in the world would urban want to hire him as a qb coach if he was basicallyca run only Qb? Im taking your statements with a grain of salt ej homer.

EJ homer? bahahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't think he's that much better than Tuel and Tuel is garbage.

Guiton is poor man's version of Troy Smith.

And as far as coaching ability, Ken Dorsey knew the game, could teach the game but wasn't very good at playing it.

BB4ever
05-14-2014, 09:25 PM
EJ homer? bahahahahahahahahahahaha

I don't think he's that much better than Tuel and Tuel is garbage.

Guiton is poor man's version of Troy Smith.

And as far as coaching ability, Ken Dorsey knew the game, could teach the game but wasn't very good at playing it.
What is funny are you going to group kenny dorsey with your superficial labeling of guitton as a running qb?

Mr. Pink
05-14-2014, 10:27 PM
What is funny are you going to group kenny dorsey with your superficial labeling of guitton as a running qb?

No, putting another guy who had the mental acuity for the game but didn't have the ability to perform the position.

Go watch some Guiton highlights since you obviously never saw him actually play, he got enough work in with Braxton Miller getting hurt.

I'll do the work for you on that one...enjoy the runs and wobbling ducks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIY3Y6wOtc

Night Train
05-15-2014, 04:00 AM

Which is why he threw for 12 TD's and 64 completions in 3 Sept. 2013 games.

As an alum, I watch all the games and this poster is completely FOS.

Regardless, he's only getting a tryout this weekend and may be done after this.

GvilleBills
05-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Is he getting a tryout? Where's the confirmation? Rumor has it that he signed with the Vikings. I really would like to know, would like this kid to get a shot at unseating Tuel.