• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

The Pats still stink at drafting

Initially I shook my head on the Easley pickup in the 1st due to blown ACL's in each knee at college. But I heard that Seattle was ready to draft him right behind NE. So they get a pass on that move. Yet still, both Wilfork and Kelly are also coming off injuries. So their best move was to add another guy into coming-off-an-injury list?

But the Garappolo move is a great place to point out why they stink. They don't even need a QB right away, and they already drafted Mallett a few years back. So basically drafting Garappolo makes the Mallett pick a waste or vice versa. ZERO reason to waste picks like this. And no, I don't really care that Mallett's deal is about up. He's been on the roster and knows the system. He's had zero starts. Obviously this wasn't a move to push Brady for a starting job. It was at best insurance if he gets injured. But he hasn't and so the Pats spent a 3rd rounder on a guy to hold the clipboard. And now spent another pick, a second rounder to fight for a job holding the clipboard? Waste. The Pats are so good that they can spend 2nd and 3rd rounders on guys that have no shot to play?

The only saving grace is if the Pats do in fact trade Mallett and recoup something for the wasted pick.

Stork may have been their best pick. James White was ranked by McShay as the 263 best player and 21st ranked RB. Yet they took him at pick 130. They easily could have waited another 2 rounds and got White.

The step in the right direction for them was to not stockpile picks that they end up wasting. If they want to waste picks at least do less of it. So they headed in the right direction by not trading down a zillion times.

Yes, this team is an annual playoff team. But, they have needs and haven't made the SB in a long time. They needed help on the defense still. They lost Talib, Spikes, and Blount. Revis is a huge add but he's got some miles on his legs too. No clue why they didn't just re-sign Blount who is right now way better than White. But whatever. And they did not draft a LB which would have been a better move than Garappolo.

The easy wrap up is that their 1st pick was a guy with serious injury concerns and who is added to an interior D line that already has injury concerns and their 2nd rounder was a guy who won't see the field.

• TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Pats still stink at drafting

They also haven't drafted a WR in the 1st round since Terry Glenn in 1996. How do they keep winning? On that's right, they have a QB.

Comment

• X-Era
      What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
      They also haven't drafted a WR in the 1st round since Terry Glenn in 1996. How do they keep winning? On that's right, they have a QB.
      They have a HOF QB and a HOF HC.

So, yeah, I guess from that standpoint they can draft a hundred Flowers every year and still be fine.

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

This draft to me looked like the Pats admitting that their SB days are done and it's time to look to the future. None of their draft picks help them much this year.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

To me, that's the advantage that you have a super star QB - he makes everyone looks better, WR, OL, RB, etc, and coaches, you name it. In the leaked phone conversation between then GMs Nix and Dominik, the latter said the Colts GM is going to look like a genius for 10 years and that's true. But really what he has done other than walking into his job with the #1 pick at hand and Andrew Luck was available?

Belichick was regarded as a failing HC until he hit on Tom Brady, even named himself as OC and had success. To his credit, he has never forgotten that - he has kept on trying to hit lightening twice ever since.

I originally credited him with a keen eye on QBs. After all these years, I now credit his approach instead: keeping on looking for that miracle. I guess, it's like playing lottery. The odds are extremely low but the reward is extremely high. But if you don't play, you are guaranteed not to win. Belichick buys $1 ticket every time.

In the meantime, other teams without a super star QB are working round the clock to field other 10 positional players to make their QB look good.

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

You guys are fooling yourselves... they have a Hall of Fame cheating system in place that makes scrubs look good on the field.

Comment

• Meathead
              Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
              • Jul 2002

the cheaters hc has a career .500 non-marcia winning pcentage. hof my ass
              One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                Pinkerton's son
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                Granted this is likely me being a Pats hater - but what happens when they DONT have a QB? They dont have the team they did when Cassel won 9 games a few years back - i insert Cassel into their starting QB role right now and they would struggle mightily.

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

IDK why the OP is babbling on about the QB pick. Brady is old and has been getting knocked around. Mallett's deal is about up. The QB pick makes sense whether on or both of those guys go OR stay. It's insurance. The Patriots needed a 3rd QB to groom. The OP rant just sounds like a Bills fan who has had to watch Buffalo mis-manage it's QBs since Jim Kelly retired not understand that the Patriots are doing this the right way.

Now whether Garappalo turns out to be an NFL caliber QB is a different discussion. But the Patriots were not the only team to feel so. We know that for a fact.
                  Last edited by swiper; 05-14-2014, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I keep reading on this board about how the Pats are bad at drafting, make questionable FA moves, lose players in the off-season, only have one good DB, etc. Yet, they beat us twice a year (often by a ridiculous margin), win the division with ease, and usually go deep in the playoffs.

Must be nice to suck like the Pats do.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                      Initially I shook my head on the Easley pickup in the 1st due to blown ACL's in each knee at college. But I heard that Seattle was ready to draft him right behind NE. So they get a pass on that move. Yet still, both Wilfork and Kelly are also coming off injuries. So their best move was to add another guy into coming-off-an-injury list?

But the Garappolo move is a great place to point out why they stink. They don't even need a QB right away, and they already drafted Mallett a few years back. So basically drafting Garappolo makes the Mallett pick a waste or vice versa. ZERO reason to waste picks like this. And no, I don't really care that Mallett's deal is about up. He's been on the roster and knows the system. He's had zero starts. Obviously this wasn't a move to push Brady for a starting job. It was at best insurance if he gets injured. But he hasn't and so the Pats spent a 3rd rounder on a guy to hold the clipboard. And now spent another pick, a second rounder to fight for a job holding the clipboard? Waste. The Pats are so good that they can spend 2nd and 3rd rounders on guys that have no shot to play?

The only saving grace is if the Pats do in fact trade Mallett and recoup something for the wasted pick.

Stork may have been their best pick. James White was ranked by McShay as the 263 best player and 21st ranked RB. Yet they took him at pick 130. They easily could have waited another 2 rounds and got White.

The step in the right direction for them was to not stockpile picks that they end up wasting. If they want to waste picks at least do less of it. So they headed in the right direction by not trading down a zillion times.

Yes, this team is an annual playoff team. But, they have needs and haven't made the SB in a long time. They needed help on the defense still. They lost Talib, Spikes, and Blount. Revis is a huge add but he's got some miles on his legs too. No clue why they didn't just re-sign Blount who is right now way better than White. But whatever. And they did not draft a LB which would have been a better move than Garappolo.

The easy wrap up is that their 1st pick was a guy with serious injury concerns and who is added to an interior D line that already has injury concerns and their 2nd rounder was a guy who won't see the field.
                      The Packers fans thought they wasted a pick on Aaron Rodgers while they had Brett Farve at QB.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                        The Packers fans thought they wasted a pick on Aaron Rodgers while they had Brett Farve at QB.
                        No, they didn't.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                          And Garappalo will probably be more Mallett like than Rodgers like.

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                            Now whether Garappalo turns out to be an NFL caliber QB is a different discussion. But the Patriots were not the only team to feel so. We know that for a fact.
                            Yeah, and he was still a late 2nd round pick despite almost every team, especially th QB needy teams, passing on him twice. And the Pats can't draft QBs for spit. Brady was pure dumb luck.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

I thought Easley was a fantastic pick by them. Let's not forget he's a potential Top 10 guy if his knees are healthy.

Garoppolo makes sense because Mallet has shown little and his skill set fits what they like to do offensively.

I thought Stork and Fleming were steals where they got them and White brings that dual thread RB who can block that they always value over one dimensional backs.

Also I thought Gallon in Round 7 was a fantastic pick, he's small but they have killed the league with small WR's who are quick twitch athletes and that's Gallon.

All in all a really solid draft.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X