PDA

View Full Version : 10 Things You Should Know - 1990 Buffalo Bills

The King
05-14-2014, 02:08 PM
I will be tackling these articles over the course of the off-season. Feel free to make suggestions, they're a work in progress.
With that said, here are 10 Things You Should Know about the 1990 Buffalo Bills.

http://www.billszone.com/?p=1742

http://www.billszone.com/wp-content/uploads/10T1.png

Buffalo’s 41 points in a half is still an NFL record (January 20th 1991 vs LA Raiders, AFCC)
Bruce Smith had his best season statistically (19 Sacks (1st), 4 Forced Fumbles (2nd), 101 Tackles (2nd)) He was also named DPOY
NFL Network named the 1990 Bills as one of the five greatest teams to never win a Super Bowl
#1 Draft Pick James Williams was the first player in Bills history to wear number 31. (The number was reserved for merchandising and reflected the spirit of the team)
Jim Kelly had his career best QB Rating in 1990 (101.2)
The best player selected by the Bills in the 1990 draft was 8th round pick Marvcus Patton. Patton never missed a game in his 12 year career.
Thurman Thomas led the league in yards from scrimmage for his second consecutive year, his streak ended at 4. Still an NFL record.
The Bills won 8 games in a row in 1990, their best streak in the NFL. (Won 9 in a row during the 64 AFL season.
1990 Was Paul Tagliabue’s first full season as NFL Commissioner. The play clock was reduced from 30 seconds to 25 seconds.
Emmitt Smith was selected one pick after the Bills drafted James Williams.

Bunion
05-14-2014, 05:09 PM
10. Emmitt Smith was selected one pick after the Bills drafted James Williams.

Son of a *****.

YardRat
05-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Emmitt Smith was selected one pick after the Bills drafted James Williams.

Bill Polian sucked.

DynaPaul
05-14-2014, 08:31 PM
#11 - We lost to a broken down, old, slow Giants team in the Super Bowl on a last second kick.

Ginger Vitis
05-14-2014, 08:40 PM
#12 The Bills were 7 point favourites going into Super Bowl 25

Mace
05-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Passing thought, we just didn't have a focused coaching staff. We had a speed game perfect for slicing muscle teams, then tried playing their game instead of ours. We'd play snatches of ours and slice them, then go back to their game and get decimated. Those Super Bowl years made me crazy, because we were never the same team in the game that we were to get us there, and it was never because we were outmanned.

Anyway, thanks to the King for the idea. Imho, we should have won 3 of 4 Super Bowls after learning hard from the first one. History makes those last couple Cowboys teams looks so much better, they really weren't, except they played us and we were still playing the first one inadequately.

I'll never understand why we did so bad in that final game, I'll always blame Marv Levy, who was not a good coach but had some awesome players, but who I have found I love, because no one else could have so poorly gotten them so close spitting frothing and throwing his headset with such literary introspect after.

I wish more fans could remember those teams, they didn't know how to lose until that last game when they were totally lost.

Turf
05-14-2014, 09:07 PM
I remember when my father say the low point spread against the Giants, he didn't like it. He said why's it so low? He smelled a rat. All the money was on the Bills.
And Marv? He doesn't belong in the HOF. I understand what he meant to players. But he has to win one of those.

The King
05-15-2014, 07:52 AM
My intent wasn't to drudge up all the old feelings, although i guess that's what you get.

DynaPaul
05-15-2014, 08:00 AM
I still say that we should have won that game 9 times out of 10.

Historian
05-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Off topic in regards to the photo at the top.

One of my fav Bills of all time is Kent Hull. Met him once. Great guy, his passing was very sad.

Anyhow, a guy I work with had an authentic Kent Hull jersey (#67) and an authentic Nate Turner jersey (#38) He wore both frequently.

Last fall, he saw me in my Bills track jacket, and wanted to swap me the Hull jersey for it.

I told him that I could not swap with him in good conscience, as I paid 29 bucks for the warm-up, and his 1993 Hull jersey was priceless.

He asked if I was sure, and I told him that as much as I would love to, I would be taking advantage of him, so we left it at that.

Then two weeks before Christmas, his house burnt to the ground.

We had a fundraiser at work, and collected lots of money and clothes for he and his family. I even gave him some of my Mom's furniture which I had been storing since she passed.

I gave him a couple of the navy-Donahoe era jersies, along with some polo shirts.

It was at that point where he told me he wished I had traded him for the Hull, as it was destroyed in the fire.

:(

Pinkerton Security
05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
Wow - way to take the trip to Negative Town everyone - guess I shouldnt be surprised.

kscdogbillsfan1221
05-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Wow - way to take the trip to Negative Town everyone - guess I shouldnt be surprised.

it's hard not to. this was (arguably) the greatest bills team ever and we didn't finish the job.

The King
05-15-2014, 03:49 PM
I tried to keep it positive. As a rule I probably won't focus on teams as much as individuals. And going after the most popular Super Bowl team probably wasn't the easiest of tasks, but we move on.

trapezeus
05-15-2014, 04:22 PM
as most of us say to not let it eat you up, "when we win, it'll be that much better". Even though we never won, those seasons were just pure joy. even when you were in them. to wake up on a sunday and know the team would be competitive? that was a great feeling in and of itself.

the last 14 have been unusually painful. I'd say 75% of the 14 years we all collectively knew a beating was coming. and not necessarily on the score board, but just a slow boring game where we didn't do enough to even be entertaining. Hopefully this bold draft this year actually gives us bold results.

The last buffalo fan
05-15-2014, 04:41 PM
14.- **** that Desert Storm!

Mace
05-15-2014, 06:30 PM
My intent wasn't to drudge up all the old feelings, although i guess that's what you get.

It's not a bad thing to drudge up the old feelings, Yeah, we never put the big game away, but those were the best days of my life. and the most fun I had experiencing football games.

Ginger Vitis
05-15-2014, 07:14 PM
#15.. Since 1966 The Top 100 games with the largest margin of victory..The 1990 Buffalo bills had 2 wins that season that put them in the Top 100.. The 48 point difference in the Bills win agasint the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1990 AFC Championship game is tied for 19th all time.. The Bills 42-0 42 point differential win against the Cleveland Browns on November 4, 1990 is tied for 65th all time

bleve
05-16-2014, 10:34 AM
#13: We win that game if Christie's our kicker

Or, if Fred Smerlas was our NT

Herd bull
05-22-2014, 12:24 AM
It's not a bad thing to drudge up the old feelings, Yeah, we never put the big game away, but those were the best days of my life. and the most fun I had experiencing football games.
I'm with you! me too!