X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Buffalo Bills tried to trade up for Carlos Hyde in draft

...The deal for Brown nearly wasn't necessary. Buffalo previously tried to trade back into the second round to take Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde, but they couldn't find a willing partner, the team confirmed Tuesday. The Bills spoke with the Bengals, Dolphins, Saints, Colts and Panthers in an effort to send away multiple mid-round picks for a second-rounder. No one bit.....

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley was wheeling and dealing during draft weekend. How close did the GM come to taking Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde?

It sounds like the Bills don't see a future for Spiller in Buffalo beyond this year.

Thoughts?
  • jimmifli
    • Nov 2006

Re: Buffalo Bills tried to trade up for Carlos Hyde in draft

Or they're going to run the **** out of him and see if he holds up. If not run the **** out of old man Jackson. If he breaks down hand to the next guy etc...

If my strategy hinged on the durability of a toy and the oldest RB in the league... I'd be looking for at least plan C.

Comment

• Buffalogic
      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
      • Feb 2006

Glad this didn't work out. I'm happier to get Bryce Brown rather than losing multiple picks for a RB. Bryce Brown, Preston Brown, and Ross Cockrell would all be lost in favor of Hyde. I like the way it turned out for us.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I'm a Buckeye fan and like Hyde... but draft day aquisition Brown is probably a better move since it was a future mid-round pick and not hurting us at all with picks lost this weekend when we needed them.

Brown can really turn it on in the open field and 4.6 Hyde ain't running any 4.38 like Brown did. 223 lbs. shows he runs over and by them. They did the right thing here.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• tampabay25690
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
          ...The deal for Brown nearly wasn't necessary. Buffalo previously tried to trade back into the second round to take Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde, but they couldn't find a willing partner, the team confirmed Tuesday. The Bills spoke with the Bengals, Dolphins, Saints, Colts and Panthers in an effort to send away multiple mid-round picks for a second-rounder. No one bit.....

I think the Bills are getting ready for the exit of Freddy after this season to be honest...
          I think they will go with CJ but want others to play with him as well.

Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley was wheeling and dealing during draft weekend. How close did the GM come to taking Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde?

It sounds like the Bills don't see a future for Spiller in Buffalo beyond this year.

Thoughts?
          GO Gators!!!!!!
          GO GATORS!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

I like this thread its shows the way some fans twist reality to fit their narrative;

Reality: The Bills tried to get Hyde but when they couldn't they moved on to Brown because Dixon is going to be used in a more hybrid RB/FB/HB role since he catch the ball and block.

Warped Reality: The Bills tried to get Hyde AND Brown so they must hate CJ!

Oh and add a derp at the end for good measure.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

DB, don't forget they tried to get Sproles in a trade too. There has been a lot of movement at a posiion where we have two good players.

Of course, it's still a bit of a leap to assume it means they hate CJ. My guess is they don't want to re-sign Fred because of his age and are afraid they won't be able to re-sign Spiller, so they are preparing to move on without them if need be.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                My guess is they don't want to re-sign Fred because of his age and are afraid they won't be able to re-sign Spiller, so they are preparing to move on without them if need be.
                I think it's simpler. They added some big guys on the OL, they have a developing QB they want to protect, and they plan on running a lot.

Both star RBs have durability issues so they want more.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

I'm confused why this is confusing? CJ and Bryce Brown make a great combo. Freddy May be on the outs, but getting rid of both is a non-starter. My guess is we have CJ back in the fold in 2015.

Comment

• Turf
                    • Jul 2002

DB, don't forget they tried to get Sproles in a trade too. There has been a lot of movement at a posiion where we have two good players.

Of course, it's still a bit of a leap to assume it means they hate CJ. My guess is they don't want to re-sign Fred because of his age and are afraid they won't be able to re-sign Spiller, so they are preparing to move on without them if need be.
                    If that's the case we have to stop drafting first rounders at positions we have no intent of paying after 4 years if they pan out. They need to commit to successful first rounders for years to come. If they don't want to pay a HB that much, don't draft him in the first round.
                    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                      If that's the case we have to stop drafting first rounders at positions we have no intent of paying after 4 years if they pan out. They need to commit to successful first rounders for years to come. If they don't want to pay a HB that much, don't draft him in the first round.
                      Agreed, but it's not always up to the team. If EJ sucks it up again this year, why would Spiller want to waste the few good years he has left running against 8 or 9 in the box because the Bills are bumbling around at QB again?
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

Agreed, but it's not always up to the team. If EJ sucks it up again this year, why would Spiller want to waste the few good years he has left running against 8 or 9 in the box because the Bills are bumbling around at QB again?
                        69.1% completion percentage against the Pats, Panthers, and Jets.

What you talkin' bout', Willis?

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                          69.1% completion percentage against the Pats, Panthers, and Jets.

What you talkin' bout', Willis?
                          Yeah I can pick a random stat over 3 games and make JP Losman or Trent Edwards look good too.

Look I don't know if EJ is a bust yet or not- no one does. But it's a realistic possbility so the team should be prepared in case it happens.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

I found this impressive. Hyde runs with authority. He wasn't a replacement for Spiller, he was possibly a successor to Jackson, and no I don't think Jackson is going anywhere until he knows better and retires.

I don't really know what they thought to trade and aren't sure about it if I did. Running backs are not hard to find nowadays. Impresses me more they thought Hyde was something special, though I'm not so sure he was that special.

But assuming Whaley/Marrone gets another year, I think this means you're going to see a back who runs with authority next year, and it won't be Spiller who just can't.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

I think they've learned from last year, and years past that you can never have too much talent at the RB position. Let's face it, Fred and CJ have both been hurt in some capacity during the past couple of seasons, on multiple occasions each. I think the Bills would be stupid if they didn't explore and acquire other RBs for the present and the future. RBs don't have a very long shelf life in the NFL, for those that are new to being a fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X