PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills tried to trade up for Carlos Hyde in draft

SpikedLemonade
05-14-2014, 02:13 PM
...The deal for Brown nearly wasn't necessary. Buffalo previously tried to trade back into the second round to take Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde (http://www.nfl.com/player/carloshyde/2543743/profile), but they couldn't find a willing partner, the team confirmed Tuesday. The Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) spoke with the Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN), Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA), Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO), Colts (http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/profile?team=IND) and Panthers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR) in an effort to send away multiple mid-round picks for a second-rounder. No one bit.....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350191/article/buffalo-bills-tried-to-trade-up-for-carlos-hyde

It sounds like the Bills don't see a future for Spiller in Buffalo beyond this year.

Thoughts?

jimmifli
05-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Or they're going to run the **** out of him and see if he holds up. If not run the **** out of old man Jackson. If he breaks down hand to the next guy etc...

If my strategy hinged on the durability of a toy and the oldest RB in the league... I'd be looking for at least plan C.

Buffalogic
05-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Glad this didn't work out. I'm happier to get Bryce Brown rather than losing multiple picks for a RB. Bryce Brown, Preston Brown, and Ross Cockrell would all be lost in favor of Hyde. I like the way it turned out for us.

Night Train
05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
I'm a Buckeye fan and like Hyde... but draft day aquisition Brown is probably a better move since it was a future mid-round pick and not hurting us at all with picks lost this weekend when we needed them.

Brown can really turn it on in the open field and 4.6 Hyde ain't running any 4.38 like Brown did. 223 lbs. shows he runs over and by them. They did the right thing here.

tampabay25690
05-14-2014, 03:34 PM
...The deal for Brown nearly wasn't necessary. Buffalo previously tried to trade back into the second round to take Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde (http://www.nfl.com/player/carloshyde/2543743/profile), but they couldn't find a willing partner, the team confirmed Tuesday. The Bills (http://www.nfl.com/teams/buffalobills/profile?team=BUF) spoke with the Bengals (http://www.nfl.com/teams/cincinnatibengals/profile?team=CIN), Dolphins (http://www.nfl.com/teams/miamidolphins/profile?team=MIA), Saints (http://www.nfl.com/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO), Colts (http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/profile?team=IND) and Panthers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/carolinapanthers/profile?team=CAR) in an effort to send away multiple mid-round picks for a second-rounder. No one bit.....

I think the Bills are getting ready for the exit of Freddy after this season to be honest...
I think they will go with CJ but want others to play with him as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350191/article/buffalo-bills-tried-to-trade-up-for-carlos-hyde

It sounds like the Bills don't see a future for Spiller in Buffalo beyond this year.

Thoughts?

DraftBoy
05-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I like this thread its shows the way some fans twist reality to fit their narrative;

Reality: The Bills tried to get Hyde but when they couldn't they moved on to Brown because Dixon is going to be used in a more hybrid RB/FB/HB role since he catch the ball and block.

Warped Reality: The Bills tried to get Hyde AND Brown so they must hate CJ!

Oh and add a derp at the end for good measure.

OpIv37
05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
DB, don't forget they tried to get Sproles in a trade too. There has been a lot of movement at a posiion where we have two good players.

Of course, it's still a bit of a leap to assume it means they hate CJ. My guess is they don't want to re-sign Fred because of his age and are afraid they won't be able to re-sign Spiller, so they are preparing to move on without them if need be.

jimmifli
05-14-2014, 07:12 PM
My guess is they don't want to re-sign Fred because of his age and are afraid they won't be able to re-sign Spiller, so they are preparing to move on without them if need be.
I think it's simpler. They added some big guys on the OL, they have a developing QB they want to protect, and they plan on running a lot.

Both star RBs have durability issues so they want more.

Don't Panic
05-14-2014, 07:24 PM
I'm confused why this is confusing? CJ and Bryce Brown make a great combo. Freddy May be on the outs, but getting rid of both is a non-starter. My guess is we have CJ back in the fold in 2015.

Turf
05-14-2014, 07:33 PM
DB, don't forget they tried to get Sproles in a trade too. There has been a lot of movement at a posiion where we have two good players.

Of course, it's still a bit of a leap to assume it means they hate CJ. My guess is they don't want to re-sign Fred because of his age and are afraid they won't be able to re-sign Spiller, so they are preparing to move on without them if need be.

If that's the case we have to stop drafting first rounders at positions we have no intent of paying after 4 years if they pan out. They need to commit to successful first rounders for years to come. If they don't want to pay a HB that much, don't draft him in the first round.

OpIv37
05-14-2014, 07:55 PM
If that's the case we have to stop drafting first rounders at positions we have no intent of paying after 4 years if they pan out. They need to commit to successful first rounders for years to come. If they don't want to pay a HB that much, don't draft him in the first round.

Agreed, but it's not always up to the team. If EJ sucks it up again this year, why would Spiller want to waste the few good years he has left running against 8 or 9 in the box because the Bills are bumbling around at QB again?

BillsImpossible
05-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Agreed, but it's not always up to the team. If EJ sucks it up again this year, why would Spiller want to waste the few good years he has left running against 8 or 9 in the box because the Bills are bumbling around at QB again?

69.1% completion percentage against the Pats, Panthers, and Jets.

What you talkin' bout', Willis?

OpIv37
05-14-2014, 08:28 PM

Yeah I can pick a random stat over 3 games and make JP Losman or Trent Edwards look good too.

Look I don't know if EJ is a bust yet or not- no one does. But it's a realistic possbility so the team should be prepared in case it happens.

Mace
05-14-2014, 08:34 PM
I found this impressive. Hyde runs with authority. He wasn't a replacement for Spiller, he was possibly a successor to Jackson, and no I don't think Jackson is going anywhere until he knows better and retires.

I don't really know what they thought to trade and aren't sure about it if I did. Running backs are not hard to find nowadays. Impresses me more they thought Hyde was something special, though I'm not so sure he was that special.

But assuming Whaley/Marrone gets another year, I think this means you're going to see a back who runs with authority next year, and it won't be Spiller who just can't.

Forward_Lateral
05-15-2014, 06:21 AM
I think they've learned from last year, and years past that you can never have too much talent at the RB position. Let's face it, Fred and CJ have both been hurt in some capacity during the past couple of seasons, on multiple occasions each. I think the Bills would be stupid if they didn't explore and acquire other RBs for the present and the future. RBs don't have a very long shelf life in the NFL, for those that are new to being a fan.

RedEyE
05-15-2014, 06:50 AM
I honestly don't think its about fans warping information. Its about dissecting the facts to try and formulate truth.

Facts: The Bills are headed into camp with a huge backfield. They have aggressively pursued several RBs despite still having Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller under contract for the 2014 season. Spiller has shown decent flashes of greater potential but if you review the data, the Bills coaching staff preferred to instead rely on the aging Jackson. Spiller has been sub par in pass protection. He has had frequent issues with finishing runs. And he's due over $6 million this year and an additional $4.5 million next.

It is completely natural for fans to be curious as to what is going on with this position and question Spiller's job security.

Why do some people on this board like to go full-monty with their superiority complex and distribute uppity lectures?

DraftBoy
05-15-2014, 07:00 AM

If they got Sproles they wouldn't of made the move for Hyde or Brown. This isn't a situation where they were looking to add multiple players. It was either A, B, or C.

its a ridiculous leap to conclude that their activity in adding RB's means they hate Spiller. Especially since we are likely done with FJax after this year and need more RB's to begin with.

DraftBoy
05-15-2014, 07:02 AM
I honestly don't think its about fans warping information. Its about dissecting the facts to try and formulate truth.

Facts: The Bills are headed into camp with a huge backfield. They have aggressively pursued several RBs despite still having Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller under contract for the 2014 season. Spiller has shown decent flashes of greater potential but if you review the data, the Bills coaching staff preferred to instead rely on the aging Jackson. Spiller has been sub par in pass protection. He has had frequent issues with finishing runs. And he's due over $6 million this year and an additional $4.5 million next.

It is completely natural for fans to be curious as to what is going on with this position and question Spiller's job security.

Why do some people on this board like to go full-monty with their superiority complex and distribute uppity lectures?

Because it isn't a complicated equation as to why the Bills have been active in the RB marketplace. Hell this has been called for for the past two years since the Bills didn't have a good power back and Jackson is aging. This was seen coming a mile away and now some fans want to turn it into something its not.

Historian
05-15-2014, 08:23 AM
Still, you have to think that they are expecting more production from him than 933 yards on the ground, DB.

Some of the flashes he has had make you think he's the next Thurman.

Some make you think he's the next Greg Bell.

alohabillsfan
05-15-2014, 08:53 AM
It boggles my mind that the front office even attempts to move up for a RB! Geez the incompetence overwhelms... What a screwed up franchise

justasportsfan
05-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Bills are committed to running a ground and pound offensive system which was evident by the number of running attempts last year. They will continue to do so this year or for as long as Marrone is the HC. It doesn't hurt that that every rb on the team can run for 100 yards if called upon. It also helps the QB.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Glad this didn't work out. I'm happier to get Bryce Brown rather than losing multiple picks for a RB. Bryce Brown, Preston Brown, and Ross Cockrell would all be lost in favor of Hyde. I like the way it turned out for us.

Brown was traded for a 2015/2016 pick, so we would get that pick back as well.

They should never want to pay a halfback that much unless the dude is ripping the league in half, and they should never use first round picks on a halfback ever again.

Fitzpatrick had a 71% completion rate agains Tennessee, New England, and St. Louis in 2012. Why did we ever let him go?

justasportsfan
05-15-2014, 09:16 AM
It boggles my mind that the front office even attempts to move up for a RB! Geez the incompetence overwhelms... What a screwed up franchise

If it costs them a 6th or a 7th round to grab a potential future Fred Jackson, why not?

trapezeus
05-15-2014, 09:42 AM
i don't think looking for players you think make you better is a knock on the current players or uber forward looking. the bills beefed up the line, size wise. they still have a young QB.

Fred's older and has had some injuries the last 2 seasons. Spiller played through injuries last year. there really was no one else after that. so if you are looking for RB's, try and get the one you want, and if that's not a possibility, go to your contingency plan.

Thief
05-15-2014, 10:01 AM
DB, don't forget they tried to get Sproles in a trade too. :link:

DraftBoy
05-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Still, you have to think that they are expecting more production from him than 933 yards on the ground, DB.

Some of the flashes he has had make you think he's the next Thurman.

Some make you think he's the next Greg Bell.

Oh I think they expect a whole lot more, but this moves this off-season have been about being set up with depth for the future.

The last buffalo fan
05-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Fitzpatrick had a 71% completion rate agains Tennessee, New England, and St. Louis in 2012. Why did we ever let him go?

My guess is that Jets, Panthers and New England (a wash here), have/had better defenses.

I'm not defending nor I'm saying that EJ is our savior or a better QB that Fitz (as per almost all the posters here every single QB in the league is better than him), but is not nice that most of you guys keep playing this broken record! :gobills:

stuckincincy
05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Spiller scored 2 tds last season. A 54 and a 77 yard jaunt. Granted he wasn't used much his first year, but 17 total touchdowns over 4 seasons isn't much, and 5 of those were receiving tds.

GingerP
05-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Their 2 best backs on the roster are both FA after the season, and one is getting older. It isn't a surprise they were trying to aggressively get a back, and ultimately it is what led them to Brown.

stuckincincy
05-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Their 2 best backs on the roster are both FA after the season, and one is getting older. It isn't a surprise they were trying to aggressively get a back, and ultimately it is what led them to Brown.

I'm curious about the PHI acquisition. From what little I've read, he was buried in PHI's depth chart. My guess is that he must have some stuff - no club would fork over the draft pick BUF did if there wasn't something there.

Regarding Hyde - nice player, but shared the backfield with QB Braxton Milller, who was a significant run threat.

trapezeus
05-15-2014, 03:51 PM
i'm not in love with the moves the bills made. i don't think you give up as much as they did for a WR. But if they get it right and watkins is durable and dependable for EJ, it opens up a lot of possibilities for the offense. and (a big if), and if they get it right, this offense will be very young and all under rookie contracts with time. the RB's should be replaceable (doesn't matter who), if the big line can create holes. Then it's a matter of just finding guys who are good with finding holes and picking up the yardage. you don't need a 1st round burner, etc. you just need to churn the clock.

however if they got it wrong, watkins will flounder as EJ struggles. That will make it obvious EJ's time is more or less done and the bills won't be able to fix it until two years from now...by the time the new guy comes in and is ready see if he is servicable, watkins is at the end of his contract.

The whole thing is a gigantic gamble.

Woodman
05-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Risk reward a no brainer, OBD made the right decisions and every doubter please remember no bandwagon for you.

Remain the lovable pessimists you are, it certainly defines so many.

Raptor
05-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Thank god they were not able too

YardRat
05-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Preparing for next season when either FJ or CJ, maybe even both, don't return. It wasn't a coincidence that the team drafted two safeties a year prior to Byrd bailing, and neither is this.

BillsFanInNM
05-15-2014, 09:41 PM
I have no problem with this at all. They attempted to stock the cupboard before it was bare, which is exactly what a lot of people complain about, not having a player in place to step in when a player leaves.

trapezeus
05-16-2014, 11:20 AM
i think the gamble is much more palatable if you are getting your QB of the future to enhance the offense. but to have a pedestrian offense in the first year of the regime and asking a WR to be worth trading a 1st and 4th is a lot to ask. even if he has stevie's 1000 yard numbers, if the bills aren't winning those games, the gamble wouldn't have worked.

the risk reward aspect is safer if you are taking it on a player who is going to touch the ball every play on offense.

but what is done is done. let the season start already!

feldspar
05-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Spiller scored 2 tds last season. A 54 and a 77 yard jaunt. Granted he wasn't used much his first year, but 17 total touchdowns over 4 seasons isn't much, and 5 of those were receiving tds.

That's because they give Freddie the ball in goal-line situations, or even in the redzone.

Of the 12 rushing touchdowns Spiller has in his career, two have come from inside the 5 and in both cases Jackson didn't play in the game. Seven of Freddie's nine touchdowns came from 5 yards or closer last season.

My guess is that they'd give Hyde the ball in those situations if they got him. I think going after Hyde was more a reflection of Freddie's age. I think he may be the oldest running back in the NFL right now, and his contract is up after this year.

The Bills ran the football more than any other team last year...that's what they do. They're the only team in the NFL that had two running backs top 200 carries and 230 total touches each. They need two guys...it happens. Look at what Carolina did: they drafted DeAngelo Williams in the first round in 2006, and then they drafted Jonathon Stewart 13th overall in 2008, only two years later. They never got rid of either of them.

I'm a Spiller fan and do not want to see him go. I don't get why some people feel the need to say bad things about him. I don't see the Bills going after another running back at this point as an indication that they aren't going to try to re-sign Spiller.

The Jokeman
05-18-2014, 09:51 AM
That's because they give Freddie the ball in goal-line situations, or even in the redzone.

Of the 12 rushing touchdowns Spiller has in his career, two have come from inside the 5 and in both cases Jackson didn't play in the game. Seven of Freddie's nine touchdowns came from 5 yards or closer last season.

My guess is that they'd give Hyde the ball in those situations if they got him. I think going after Hyde was more a reflection of Freddie's age. I think he may be the oldest running back in the NFL right now, and his contract is up after this year.

The Bills ran the football more than any other team last year...that's what they do. They're the only team in the NFL that had two running backs top 200 carries and 230 total touches each. They need two guys...it happens. Look at what Carolina did: they drafted DeAngelo Williams in the first round in 2006, and then they drafted Jonathon Stewart 13th overall in 2008, only two years later. They never got rid of either of them.

I'm a Spiller fan and do not want to see him go. I don't get why some people feel the need to say bad things about him. I don't see the Bills going after another running back at this point as an indication that they aren't going to try to re-sign Spiller.

People say bad things about Spiller because of expectations. Some predraft write ups anointed him the next Marshall Faulk. While some less favorable compared him to Reggie Bush. Thus far in his career except for 2012 when Freddie was hurt and we had no one else to lean on have we seen that on a consistent basis that CJ is an above average NFL RB. Toss in we've seen the guy he replaced (Marshawn Lynch) be a star in Seattle. It's not a knock on CJ but the drafting of CJ that I have issues with as he's got the talent but we didn't need his talents IMO. As I said just before that draft if the Bills were looking toward their short and long term needs that draft the best pick they could have made was taking Dez Bryant.