PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Mike Williams or Stevie Johnson?

Oaf
05-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Which player would you take?

Assuming the MW trade wasn't consummated for a 6th rd pick, we probably have Johnson at WR2/Slot alongside Watkins/Woods.

Take the guy with talent to be a #1-type player with a host of past issues, or take the #2-type who's invested in a lot of bad teams over the years and produced a string of 3 1000-yd seasons?

http://prod.www.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-2/Full-Highlights-Wide-Receiver-Stevie-Johnson/01926aa4-dcce-4b39-a0e1-e252d5db4da3

YardRat
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Drafting Watkins made Stevie expendable...unfortunate for those who are fans of SJ's, but they are both more suited for slot duty, not outside, where Williams should be a good fit. You pay that much for a WR, you've got to do what it takes to get him on the field.

Woodman
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Williams will blend right in, it was time for Johnson to go.

Don't Panic
05-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Williams will blend right in, it was time for Johnson to go.

I agree that Stevie's time was up, and I'm sure Marrone felt that was the case more than most, but head to head I think Stevie is the better WR and more worth having. Remember - this guy put Revis on his heels when he was at the top of his game. His route running is exceptional. I think he will again have a 1000 yard season. Williams? I'd be happy with average #2 numbers. He's not as valuable as Stevie IMO. Now, throw in chemistry and its a totally different story, but that's what a good coach is supposed to be able to do... corral head cases and get the most of them.

JoeMama
05-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Robert Woods is basically a Stevie clone. Not blazing fast but finds space in coverage and piles up receptions. I think he was probably drafted with the intention of being the heir to Stevie's throne.

Hopefully he doesn't have the same preoccupation with untimely drops and melodrama as Stevie because I think he can fill his shoes in the long run.

Mike Williams isn't as good as Stevie but he's a nice guy to have in the rotation as a #2.

Watkins, Woods, Williams, Goodwin... that's a nice rotation. We're not doing ourselves any harm going forward with them as our primary targets.

YardRat
05-15-2014, 09:07 PM
I agree that Stevie's time was up, and I'm sure Marrone felt that was the case more than most, but head to head I think Stevie is the better WR and more worth having. Remember - this guy put Revis on his heels when he was at the top of his game. His route running is exceptional. I think he will again have a 1000 yard season. Williams? I'd be happy with average #2 numbers. He's not as valuable as Stevie IMO. Now, throw in chemistry and its a totally different story, but that's what a good coach is supposed to be able to do... corral head cases and get the most of them.

Stevie's best attribute may also be his biggest downfall (other than the drops, of course)...unique route-running can be detrimental if the timing doesn't match up with conventional expectations.

Oaf
05-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Good points, all.

OpIv37
05-15-2014, 11:13 PM
I think the question is flawed. It has to be Stevie or Watkins, because we never would have traded Stevie if we didn't get Watkins.

And the real question is whether the difference between Stevie and Watkins is worth next year's 1st.

For the record, I don't like the fact that we gave up next year's first, but I'm happy to be rid of Stevie. We gave him a big contract because he was the best we had but he never proved that he deserved it on the field. Too much bad to take with the good.

Oaf
05-15-2014, 11:53 PM
I think the question is flawed. It has to be Stevie or Watkins, because we never would have traded Stevie if we didn't get Watkins.

And the real question is whether the difference between Stevie and Watkins is worth next year's 1st.

For the record, I don't like the fact that we gave up next year's first, but I'm happy to be rid of Stevie. We gave him a big contract because he was the best we had but he never proved that he deserved it on the field. Too much bad to take with the good.

What's wrong with the question, I'm simply asking which player you prefer. I believe we never would have traded Stevie if we didn't get Williams. Same point.

Night Train
05-16-2014, 03:26 AM
This is the wrong comparison.

Robert Woods is SJ... without the drama/drops/bad groin & $alary.

Good luck to him but with Woods, Williams, Goodwin and now Watkins, SJ was finished here.

ICRockets
05-16-2014, 03:56 AM
For the record, I don't like the fact that we gave up next year's first

Well that's news to all of us!

sudzy
05-16-2014, 04:58 AM
If your talking Stevie of 2010-2012, it's a no brainer. Stevie. Was last year a down year for him or a sign of how poor of a fit he is in this offense? It would be easy to put it on the rookie QB, but he's never had good QBing. Stevie was a big personality on an otherwise boring team. Now, I have to be honest. I haven't watch a lot TB games, so I don't know much about Williams. But, I notice he's never broke 1000 yards.

GingerP
05-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Personally, I'd take either. Both are good players. Obviously, SJ did not buy in and had problems with the coaching staff, which is why they ditched him. I have no issues with that. Mike Williams has his own off-field questions, but he is a talented player.

X-Era
05-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Robert Woods is basically a Stevie clone. Not blazing fast but finds space in coverage and piles up receptions. I think he was probably drafted with the intention of being the heir to Stevie's throne.

Hopefully he doesn't have the same preoccupation with untimely drops and melodrama as Stevie because I think he can fill his shoes in the long run.

Mike Williams isn't as good as Stevie but he's a nice guy to have in the rotation as a #2.

Watkins, Woods, Williams, Goodwin... that's a nice rotation. We're not doing ourselves any harm going forward with them as our primary targets.I really disagree. Woods is a technician who runs precise routes and has solid hands. Stevie was the opposite... running loose routes to fool defenders and had occasional drops.

DraftBoy
05-16-2014, 06:27 AM
I think you have a nice three WR rotation now with Watkins, Williams, and Woods.

Not sure why Goodwin gets such love, I still think you're a size WR short of having a finish group but the base is great.

The King
05-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Stevie's best attribute may also be his biggest downfall (other than the drops, of course)...unique route-running can be detrimental if the timing doesn't match up with conventional expectations.
Bingo. His route running wasn't exceptional it was unorthodox.

The King
05-16-2014, 06:32 AM
I think you have a nice three WR rotation now with Watkins, Williams, and Woods.

Not sure why Goodwin gets such love, I still think you're a size WR short of having a finish group but the base is great.

I think it's exciting to think what Goodwin can do against a dimeback if the safety shades Watkins. Thats going to create a problem.

Jan Reimers
05-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Williams is bigger, stronger, faster, and with better hands. He is a much better receiver than Stevie. Now, if we can just get him to grow up (Williams, that is).

IlluminatusUIUC
05-16-2014, 10:12 AM

People will always salivate over speed.

Famous Amos
05-16-2014, 03:57 PM
I think it depends on if Williams can develop a rapport with Manuel. It was hard to tell if you didn't have the all 22 footage of games, but I kept hearing that Johnson was getting open a lot but Manuel, or whoever was the QB at the time, wasn't getting him the ball. It's wonderful that Stevie is a great route runner, but if he isn't getting the ball, then he isn't worth much to the offense. The most targets Johnson had last year was 13 in a 6 catch loss to the Jets in week 3. Out of the 12 games he played, he had 4 games of over 5 receptions. The year before, he had several 6 catch games with an 8 catch game in a loss to the Seahawks late in the season. Looking at Mike Williams' stats, he has similar or less catches per game than Stevie. in 2012, his best effort was a 7 catch game in a loss to the Rams late in the season. He doesn't score a ton of touchdowns. I think he's an at best 3 or 4 WR on the Bills. I would rather have Stevie.

better days
05-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I think it depends on if Williams can develop a rapport with Manuel. It was hard to tell if you didn't have the all 22 footage of games, but I kept hearing that Johnson was getting open a lot but Manuel, or whoever was the QB at the time, wasn't getting him the ball. It's wonderful that Stevie is a great route runner, but if he isn't getting the ball, then he isn't worth much to the offense. The most targets Johnson had last year was 13 in a 6 catch loss to the Jets in week 3. Out of the 12 games he played, he had 4 games of over 5 receptions. The year before, he had several 6 catch games with an 8 catch game in a loss to the Seahawks late in the season. Looking at Mike Williams' stats, he has similar or less catches per game than Stevie. in 2012, his best effort was a 7 catch game in a loss to the Rams late in the season. He doesn't score a ton of touchdowns. I think he's an at best 3 or 4 WR on the Bills. I would rather have Stevie.

Josh Freeman had a GOOD Rookie year.

He then got FAT & did nothing to improve himself.

If Williams were on the Pats* with Brady, he would put up HUGE numbers & be the best WR on that team.

It will be interesting to see how he does with EJ, but with Watkins & Woods, he may well be #3.

BertSquirtgum
05-16-2014, 08:30 PM
I wanted to vote, BOTH.

JoeMama
05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
I really disagree. Woods is a technician who runs precise routes and has solid hands. Stevie was the opposite... running loose routes to fool defenders and had occasional drops.

I've always considered Stevie a good route runner. He finds soft spots in coverage despite not having the size or speed as other guys.

Saying Stevie plays it "loose" where as Woods plays it tight seems like a pointless distinction. If both guys can pile up receptions and find space, they seem like the same guy to me.

You're just recatergorizing the same talent in a negative light by using a different adjective for it.

better days
05-17-2014, 08:17 AM
I wanted to vote, BOTH.

Me too, & for that reason, I did not vote.

The Jokeman
05-17-2014, 10:12 AM

Would you take a shot at Dezmon Briscoe or Danario Alexander as this point? The latter be ideal but of course his knees are probably mush right now and likely why he's not on an NFL roster.

Raptor
05-17-2014, 10:52 AM
On the field, both completely healthy Williams has him slightly in talent

The problem with Williams is in the locker room and off the field he is far more of a concern and risk than Stevie

Fletch
05-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Which player would you take?

Assuming the MW trade wasn't consummated for a 6th rd pick, we probably have Johnson at WR2/Slot alongside Watkins/Woods.

Take the guy with talent to be a #1-type player with a host of past issues, or take the #2-type who's invested in a lot of bad teams over the years and produced a string of 3 1000-yd seasons?

http://prod.www.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-2/Full-Highlights-Wide-Receiver-Stevie-Johnson/01926aa4-dcce-4b39-a0e1-e252d5db4da3

If this poll had been taken prior to the trade it would have been near if not 100% for Johnson.