PDA

View Full Version : Next Sabres Captain

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2014, 06:12 AM
Who should be the Sabres captain next year?

OpIv37
05-16-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm hoping we get Ott back and it's him.

JATMtheJATM
05-16-2014, 09:58 AM
id love to see ott come back, and if he does, he will wear the C. theres also alot of smoke coming from the idea of callahan coming to the sabres, and id say thats a legit possibility, IMO.

but realistically, ehrhoff.

tatersalad
05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
how much cap space do the Sabres have after the Purge?

Ginger Vitis
05-16-2014, 10:52 AM
how much cap space do the Sabres have after the Purge?

If the salary cap is $71 million in 2014-2015..right now they have about $32.5 million in cap space.. They need to spend about $14 million to get to the cap floor

OpIv37
05-16-2014, 11:05 AM
If the salary cap is $71 million in 2014-2015..right now they have about $32.5 million in cap space.. They need to spend about $14 million to get to the cap floor
It'll be even more if they do the right thing and make Leino a compliance buyout.

Dr. Lecter
05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm hoping we get Ott back and it's him.

I am not sure I want him back. He is a very average player and his age and possible cost I think I would rather see the younger players

OpIv37
05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
I am not sure I want him back. He is a very average player and his age and possible cost I think I would rather see the younger players

Thing is, we can't have a whole team of kids and we have dangerously few vets on the team. We need someone to provide leadership and a spark. He already knows the team and the system, and I really don't think his cost will be too high.

trapezeus
05-16-2014, 11:48 AM
he also looked very good playing with the first line at times in St. louis.

I wouldnt be against callahan. i think they need 2-3 guys (variety of skill levels is ok) that can just calm the kids by knowing what a full season looks like a variety of scenarios. this team going forward is so young and the vets aren't really the hard nosed guys that we're excited about (as fans anyways).

putting a C on a current member seems like it'll just continue to curse of the captain getting traded.

coastal
05-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Tyler Myers SHOULD be the next captain.

its up to him to take this team on his shoulders.

He has the ability... I've seen it from 7 rows up. It's just a matter if he wants to put the work in to ensure he does that every single night at the highest of levels.

if he wants to be a real pro... He can and should wear the C.

if not... Stafford was the lone vet still on this team worth giving it to.

swiper
05-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Stafford blows.

Myers blows worse.

Ehrhoff is the only one from that list that should be captain.

coastal
05-16-2014, 04:06 PM
You know ****.

Anyone with the first name of Chrisitan should never wear the "C".

Fact.

coastal
05-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Drew and Tyler aren't really deserving names either... now that I think about it.

All the more evidence that were headed for the lead spot in the CONNOR sweepstakes.

damn...

Jack works.

doug45
05-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Thing is, we can't have a whole team of kids and we have dangerously few vets on the team. We need someone to provide leadership and a spark. He already knows the team and the system, and I really don't think his cost will be too high.

AGREE !!!

JATMtheJATM
05-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Tyler Myers SHOULD be the next captain.

its up to him to take this team on his shoulders.

He has the ability... I've seen it from 7 rows up. It's just a matter if he wants to put the work in to ensure he does that every single night at the highest of levels.

if he wants to be a real pro... He can and should wear the C.

if not... Stafford was the lone vet still on this team worth giving it to.

so all my pleading for patience for myers didnt fall on deaf ears? you were done with him. glad to see you are still open about him.

as far as vets, yeah, they need some, and theyll get some. im not worried about that right now.

OpIv37
05-16-2014, 10:32 PM
so all my pleading for patience for myers didnt fall on deaf ears? you were done with him. glad to see you are still open about him.

as far as vets, yeah, they need some, and theyll get some. im not worried about that right now.

They don't have a choice- they're $14 million below the cap floor, $20 m or so if they ditch Leino. They literally HAVE to sign vets to comply with the CBA.

don137
05-17-2014, 06:35 AM
I think their next captain is not on the roster currently. Ott, Callahan or maybe Moulson. The Sabres need to reach the cap floor and have to get some veterans.

chernobylwraiths
05-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Girgensens is captain material

ckg927
05-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Girgensens is captain material

Agreed, but now is NOT the time to stitch the C on him.

Maybe in a few seasons.

coastal
05-18-2014, 05:58 PM

Yeah I'm open to him.

when they were in Tampa towards the end of the year, we sat 7th row. To watch him move the puck and control the defensive zone... was in awe. He had one gaffe that Stamkos normally would have made him pay for (his first game back from the leg break)... but aside from that, he was great.

what I want to know is what is he doing this offseason.... that would tell me the kind of year he could have.

chernobylwraiths
05-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Agreed, but now is NOT the time to stitch the C on him.

Maybe in a few seasons.

wouldn't argue with that

Dozerdog
05-19-2014, 11:22 AM
If you remember last offseason (maybe 2 offseasons ago) The Panthers loaded up and made a bunch of trades with teams (mainly Chicago) to take a bunch of their decent but not spectacular (but overpaid) players. All to reach a MINIMUM payroll. (Brian Campbell being one of them)

Teams looking to unload contracts sometimes sweeten the pot with a draft pick to take away other team's headaches.

The Jokeman
05-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Paul Stastny