PDA

View Full Version : Mathis seems screwed

X-Era
05-17-2014, 06:08 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/17/nfl-responds-to-agents-statement-regarding-robert-mathis/

They have it setup where a player can get the advice of a physician who is approved by both the NFL and NFLPA. And on top of that the drug isn't even allowed by the FDA and has been on the banned list for years.

At first glance I thought the league is painting a wide brush with what meds it's banning and that this could be a situation where Mathis is just trying to live his life; not take PED's.

But it now seems that he may be a player who knew the situation and just didn't care because he felt the reasons for taking the drug were justified.

What wasn't in the article is what the drug was... Just because a drug may have secondary benefits to enhance performance doesn't really make it a PED in my mind. I guess I'd like to see waivers be issued when a players doctor works with maybe team doctors and the league physician to take a PED for reasons other than enhancing performance. May already exist and we just don't know about it.

The players health and life outside of football should take precedence over the potential unfair advantage that may be a secondary effect of taking a PED. It's all a grey area.

The agents argument:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/16/robert-mathiss-agent-calls-suspension-unjust-and-unfair/

The med supposedly was Clomid

billsfanryan
05-17-2014, 06:20 AM
What I don't get is why any of these players (in any professional sport) would risk putting anything in their body without approval from team doctors. I wouldn't even take aspirin or Tylenol or ibpruifin without asking doctors. There is way too much at risk for these guys by taking any drug without asking first.

X-Era
05-17-2014, 06:23 AM
What I don't get is why any of these players (in any professional sport) would risk putting anything in their body without approval from team doctors. I wouldn't even take aspirin or Tylenol or ibpruifin without asking doctors. There is way too much at risk for these guys by taking any drug without asking first.Not to go on a tangent but smoking weed, breaking the law, it's all so stupid when you know you have millions at stake and only 10 years to make it a career.

But yeah I feel like it's often a way of thinking for many players. They're elite, they're rich, and so they can do whatever they want.

better days
05-17-2014, 06:26 AM
The problem is any player could take a PED drug & claim it was for justifiable medical reasons even though they took it to enhance their performance.

There is a list of drugs not allowed by the NFL & players must not take them.

don137
05-17-2014, 06:37 AM
Wouldn't common sense be if you have to take a medication for anything you get it cleared first that it is allowed. What is with these athletes that claim ignorance?

better days
05-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Wouldn't common sense be if you have to take a medication for anything you get it cleared first that it is allowed. What is with these athletes that claim ignorance?

If Mathis were REALLY taking the drug for legitimate reasons, I think he would have gone to the Doctor & had it approved.

IMO, he was using that drug to enhance his performance, got caught & tried using the fertility angle as an EXCUSE.

X-Era
05-17-2014, 08:22 AM
I think it's arrogance and a complacent attitude in most cases/

better days
05-17-2014, 08:34 AM

It would be STUPID to take a complacent attitude about something that affects your ability to make a living in your profession.

I agree about arrogance. IMO, he thought he could get away with taking an illegal drug because of arrogance.

BertSquirtgum
05-17-2014, 11:10 AM
Clomid is a steroid. Mathis was trying to cheat.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-17-2014, 11:42 AM

You don't have to speculate about the mentality of PED cheaters, it's been explained many times. Pro sports is one of the most competitive enterprises on earth. Being half a step faster or slower can be the difference between glory and defeat. Every single player in the NFL has people nipping at their heels, ready to take their spot.

Mathis at 33 is staring at the end of his career and his gravy train. Even a rumor that this drug would help is enough for some to take the risk, because the reward is enormous.

swiper
05-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Clomid is a drug used by females trying to conceive. It is a selective estrogen receptor modulator that induces ovulation in women having trouble, such as peri-menopausal women who are trying to conceive.

BertSquirtgum
05-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Clomid is a drug used by females trying to conceive. It is a selective estrogen receptor modulator that induces ovulation in women having trouble, such as peri-menopausal women who are trying to conceive.

Keep reading.

djjimkelly
05-19-2014, 01:41 AM
look clomid which he got caught for is what juice boys use to turn natural production back on instantly.

whether the fertility thing is true or not this and 2 other products are the only things that do this instantly

djjimkelly
05-19-2014, 01:42 AM
its not a steroid is a post cycle therapy drug to bring u back to natural production of testosterone

better days
05-19-2014, 09:26 AM
its not a steroid is a post cycle therapy drug to bring u back to natural production of testosterone

It is a PED banned by the NFL.

If Mathis is screwed, he screwed himself.

The Jokeman
05-19-2014, 05:28 PM
It is a PED banned by the NFL.

If Mathis is screwed, he screwed himself.

Nah, he was actually trying to screw his wife.

better days
05-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Nah, he was actually trying to screw his wife.

Then his wife should have been the one on the juice.

If it was really Dr prescribed, he should have gone through proper channels & gotten permission.

BUT I don't believe for one minute he wanted the juice to impregnate his wife.

djjimkelly
05-20-2014, 10:59 AM
i agree im just pointing out this is a very common drug used to come off steroids and keep then gains while turning your own natural testosterone production back on.

ill break this down simple

each one of us roughly produces 50 ml of testosterone a week. give or take based on age and genetics. so right now im taking testosterone enathate natural production 50 + 250 i add a week boom 300 ml test a week 6 times natural.

however once your on the test for several your body realizes dont produce your own 50 becuz you have the extra 250 + 0 so come week 12 lets say when im done with 250 a week injection you take clomid to instantly bring your natural level of 50 back

Jeff1220
05-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Iirc, this is was the drug that got Manny Ramirez a ban when he was with the Dodgers. It brings the T back to normal and masked the actual T booster in testing.