PDA

View Full Version : Preston Brown has signed

swiper
05-17-2014, 05:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/17/bills-sign-linebacker-preston-brown/

The club announced the signing of third-round selection Preston Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9590/preston-brown), a linebacker from Louisville, on Saturday.

Brown (6-1, 251) recorded 301 tackles (26 for loss), notched seven sacks and intercepted one pass in 52 games for the Cardinals (2010-2013).

“He plays hard; you see him all over the field,” Bills director of player personnel Jim Monos said after the draft, according to an interview transcript from the team. “He plays on the other side of the ball and has good tackles for loss. He can go side to side. He’s probably better against the run than the pass right now, but he can do both. He’s a very good athlete.

YardRat
05-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Nice. Just Watkins, Kuondijo and Richardson left?

swiper
05-18-2014, 05:40 AM
Nice. Just Watkins, Kuondijo and Richardson left?

The 3 most important guys from this draft, imo.

sudzy
05-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Who is Preston Brown?

That's what I said last Friday.

swiper
05-18-2014, 06:37 AM
Who is Preston Brown?

Yep. I had to keep looking at the name. Expectations for this guy aren't great. If he turns out to have a career like London Fletcher, who went undrafted in 1998, we'd all be psyched.

YardRat
05-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Could be the starting MLB in 2015...or not.

Goobylal
05-18-2014, 07:13 AM
The 3 most important guys from this draft, imo.
They're the guys who are expected to make the most immediate impact. And they'll be signed shortly. Gone are the days of holdouts into training camp.

Who is Preston Brown?

That's what I said last Friday.

Yep. I had to keep looking at the name. Expectations for this guy aren't great. If he turns out to have a career like London Fletcher, who went undrafted in 1998, we'd all be psyched.
Did anyone know who Kiko Alonso was last year, until the Bills drafted him?

YardRat
05-18-2014, 07:20 AM
I think Kiko was more well known pre-draft last season than Brown was this year.

better days
05-18-2014, 07:43 AM
I think Kiko was more well known pre-draft last season than Brown was this year.

Maybe so, but nobody expected the kind of impact Kiko had on the team.

tampabay25690
05-18-2014, 08:43 AM

That's because the signing of Spikes

swiper
05-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Yes. He was one of the top rated ILBs in the draft.

YardRat
05-18-2014, 09:18 AM
That's because the signing of Spikes

I don't agree. Even prior to the Spikes signing, the inside 'backers that were getting the love were Mosely, Skov and Borland...maybe Smallwood and Bullough also. I don't recall Brown being on anybody's radar...Kiko was being pimped by more than a few posters around here last season.

Goobylal
05-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Brown was considered one of the top ILB's in this draft as well. According to NFL.com's draft grades, Alonso was 6th last year while Brown was 3rd this year.

The Jokeman
05-18-2014, 09:42 AM

That makes sense since Kiko went to a "nationally known" school like Oregon whereas Brown went to Louisville. To me Brown reads like he might have been over drafted but if he can be a solid special teamer and depth LB this year then he was worth drafting. From the write-ups he sounds like a guy definitely being groomed to replace Spikes. As like Brandon he's a two down LB and a strong run tackler that struggles in coverage. Toss in they both shared the same college scout it seems rather obvious what the Bills are doing. That said ultimately both of these guys seem better suited for a 3-4 so not sure what Schwartz is planning to do what we have as to me the only players we have that are best suited for the 4-3 are Mario, Kyle and Rivers. Everyone else seems to be better 3-4 guys but with most NFL defenses being hybrids these days we might have one too.

swiper
05-18-2014, 09:54 AM
That makes sense since Kiko went to a "nationally known" school like Oregon whereas Brown went to Louisville. To me Brown reads like he might have been over drafted but if he can be a solid special teamer and depth LB this year then he was worth drafting. From the write-ups he sounds like a guy definitely being groomed to replace Spikes. As like Brandon he's a two down LB and a strong run tackler that struggles in coverage. Toss in they both shared the same college scout it seems rather obvious what the Bills are doing. That said ultimately both of these guys seem better suited for a 3-4 so not sure what Schwartz is planning to do what we have as to me the only players we have that are best suited for the 4-3 are Mario, Kyle and Rivers. Everyone else seems to be better 3-4 guys but with most NFL defenses being hybrids these days we might have one too.

He can be no worse than Kelvin Sheppard or Nigel Bradham, can he?

cookie G
05-18-2014, 09:56 AM

As far as rankings go..they aren't too far off. Kiko was the 3d ranked ILB last year (per Draftscout.com)..Brown was 4th. Both were projected to go as high as the 2nd.

A little short but decent speed (about the same as Alonzo's) and a lot of power.

He was the leading tackler on a Louisville team that led the nation in rush defense, and total defense, last year.

sudzy
05-18-2014, 10:29 AM
They're the guys who are expected to make the most immediate impact. And they'll be signed shortly. Gone are the days of holdouts into training camp.

Who?

swiper
05-18-2014, 10:34 AM
As far as rankings go..they aren't too far off. Kiko was the 3d ranked ILB last year (per Draftscout.com)..Brown was 4th. Both were projected to go as high as the 2nd.

A little short but decent speed (about the same as Alonzo's) and a lot of power.

He was the leading tackler on a Louisville team that led the nation in rush defense, and total defense, last year.

He seems bulkier/heavier to me than Alosno, no? More your prototypical inside guy.

Goobylal
05-18-2014, 10:39 AM
He seems bulkier/heavier to me than Alosno, no? More your prototypical inside guy.
Brown is 2" shorter and 13# heavier than Kiko.

Dr. Who
05-18-2014, 11:47 AM
Pretty sure I saw a quote from Mike Mayock saying the more he looked at Brown, the more he thought he had a chance to be a three-down lb. Of course, that's only an opinion.
I was really surprised that Skov wasn't drafter, btw.

Goobylal
05-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Pretty sure I saw a quote from Mike Mayock saying the more he looked at Brown, the more he thought he had a chance to be a three-down lb. Of course, that's only an opinion.
Yeah, I heard Mayock say that as well.

stuckincincy
05-18-2014, 01:44 PM

IIRC, Skov had some injury concerns. Not sure.

The last buffalo fan
05-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Skov I wanted, but if Preston gets better I won't be complaining at all.

CleveSteve
05-19-2014, 07:32 PM
He really stood out in the game vs. Miami. I watched the game and was thinking "who is this #2? This guy is good.". I hadn't noticed him in the Louisville games I had watched him in prior to that, though.