PDA

View Full Version : Watkins on Special Teams?

Turf
05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
There's some rumblings on Fox sports about us putting Watkins on kick and punt returns. If they put what some may call our future franchise player on special teams and he gets hurt, I'm going to go nuts. I would not risk losing what is supposed to be your number one receiver, game changing playmaker, the player you count on to redefine your offense, for the sake of kick returns. If Marrone does this and he gets hurt, he'll be in my Moron book forever. I hope this coaching staff is not this stupid. Then again, history shows you never know with this team.

Goobylal
05-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Not gonna happen.

DraftBoy
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM
If you think it will help then go for it.

mayotm
05-19-2014, 05:15 PM
There's some rumblings on Fox sports about us putting Watkins on kick and punt returns. If they put what some may call our future franchise player on special teams and he gets hurt, I'm going to go nuts. I would not risk losing what is supposed to be your number one receiver, game changing playmaker, the player you count on to redefine your offense, for the sake of kick returns. If Marrone does this and he gets hurt, he'll be in my Moron book forever. I hope this coaching staff is not this stupid. Then again, history shows you never know with this team.
My advice is to definitely get all hot and bothered about something that hasn't happened yet.

swiper
05-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Not happening.

Woodman
05-19-2014, 05:40 PM
No worries won't happen.

Ed
05-19-2014, 05:41 PM
What's the difference between making a big play on offense or making a big play on special teams? It's just another play and another chance to help your team. Isn't it kind of important to get the ball in the hands of your best play makers?

Generalissimus Gibby
05-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Not gonna happen.

We put Mouldsie on the return team his rookie season. He returned a couple for tds IIRC

Goobylal
05-19-2014, 06:37 PM
We put Mouldsie on the return team his rookie season. He returned a couple for tds IIRC
He returned kicks his first 2 years and returned one his rookie season for 97 yards. But that was a different time and he wasn't ready to start yet. The Bills have many other candidates they could use instead.

kishoph
05-19-2014, 06:58 PM
There's some rumblings on Fox sports about us putting Watkins on kick and punt returns. If they put what some may call our
future franchise player on special teams and he gets hurt, I'm going to go nuts. I would not risk losing what is supposed to be your number one receiver, game changing playmaker, the player you count on to redefine your offense, for the sake of kick returns. If Marrone does this and he gets hurt, he'll be in my Moron book forever. I hope this coaching staff is not this stupid. Then again, history shows you never know with this team.

Deion Sanders had over 200 punt returns and 150 kickoff returns and I'm pretty sure he never had a major injury in doing so. The percentage of injuries on ST is higher, but I believe that the majority are to the players blocking and tackling. It's not unusual for a "star player" to play on special teams. Look at players like Dez Bryant, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin, etc. Would Marrone be a fool, or a coach that is going to do what it takes to win ?

IlluminatusUIUC
05-19-2014, 06:58 PM
We've had Spiller and McKelvin returning kicks, and they were both Top 15 picks. Hell, they'd have sent Dareus to return kicks if they could. This team is obsessed with kick returns.

Skooby
05-19-2014, 07:13 PM
How about long-distance punts ?

YardRat
05-19-2014, 07:21 PM
I hope not...let Goodwin or Graham help earn their paycheck returning kicks.

DraftBoy
05-19-2014, 07:50 PM
I hope not...let Goodwin or Graham help earn their paycheck returning kicks.

Why not? Are we suddenly against putting the best players on the field and getting the ball into their hands?

Meathead
05-19-2014, 08:23 PM
yeah i dont see any problem at all with watkins easing into the nfl by returning kicks. assuming bearded black williams earns even moderate confidence from the coaches, he and woods are going to get more plays per game than watkins early in the season anyway. no reason why watkins cant make plays as a returner and spot wr for the first quarter of the season and work his way into the offense from there

The Popcorn
05-19-2014, 08:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with getting the ball in the hands of a playmaker.

YardRat
05-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Sammy Watkins had 60 KO returns for a 22.3 yd avg, 1 TD. 23 punt returns, for a 3.8 yd avg.
Goodwin had roughly the same average (22.4) on fewer returns (44), didn't really field punts.
Graham 137 KO's for a 23 yd avg and 2 TD's, 66 punt returns for 9.5 and 2 td's.

What makes you think Watkins would be that much better than either of the other two?
Why put a #1 WR on the return team and get 22 yards, when you can put a #4 or #5 out there and get the same production?

DraftBoy
05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
Sammy Watkins had 60 KO returns for a 22.3 yd avg, 1 TD. 23 punt returns, for a 3.8 yd avg.
Goodwin had roughly the same average (22.4) on fewer returns (44), didn't really field punts.
Graham 137 KO's for a 23 yd avg and 2 TD's, 66 punt returns for 9.5 and 2 td's.

What makes you think Watkins would be that much better than either of the other two?
Why put a #1 WR on the return team and get 22 yards, when you can put a #4 or #5 out there and get the same production?

The ability to actually move laterally and not just in a straight line.

Meathead
05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
rookies make mistakes. rookie wr1s make mistakes that get exploited by cb1s and result in defensive tds. if the bills are serious about playoffs or bust theres no reason to push watkins into the wr1 role out of the chute and try to force him to do all the stuff a wr1 has to do in the nfl to win, when you have two very capable veterans on the roster who will be much better and much safer options early in the season. you have watkins rotate in as wr3 and be a primary kick returner for the same reason you have most other rookie skill players return kicks - so they can contribute while gaining confidence and getting acclimated to the pro game

if watkins is the real deal that will become obvious even with a wr3 workload and they can move him up at that time

YardRat
05-19-2014, 08:47 PM
The ability to actually move laterally and not just in a straight line.

9 times out of 10 if you move laterally on a return you're cooked. The chances of having the 1 remaining turn into a big return is minimal, at best. Not important.

CleveSteve
05-19-2014, 09:50 PM
"Don't do it."

-Kellen Winslow, Jr.

DraftBoy
05-20-2014, 06:17 AM
9 times out of 10 if you move laterally on a return you're cooked. The chances of having the 1 remaining turn into a big return is minimal, at best. Not important.

You made that up and its also not true, you have to move laterally to avoid tacklers and hit the angles for the blocks that are set up. Especially since the NFL has banned the wedge.

Dr. Lecter
05-20-2014, 06:25 AM

Difference was he was not the top WR

Historian
05-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Graham for punt catcher!!!

Skooby
05-20-2014, 07:42 AM
LOL.

better days
05-20-2014, 07:43 AM
You made that up and its also not true, you have to move laterally to avoid tacklers and hit the angles for the blocks that are set up. Especially since the NFL has banned the wedge.

Well, he made that up, but you made up the fact Goodwin & Graham did not have the ability to move laterally.

That is also not true.

EDS
05-20-2014, 08:07 AM
rookies make mistakes. rookie wr1s make mistakes that get exploited by cb1s and result in defensive tds. if the bills are serious about playoffs or bust theres no reason to push watkins into the wr1 role out of the chute and try to force him to do all the stuff a wr1 has to do in the nfl to win, when you have two very capable veterans on the roster who will be much better and much safer options early in the season. you have watkins rotate in as wr3 and be a primary kick returner for the same reason you have most other rookie skill players return kicks - so they can contribute while gaining confidence and getting acclimated to the pro game

if watkins is the real deal that will become obvious even with a wr3 workload and they can move him up at that time

Who are the two veterans? Williams and Graham?

DraftBoy
05-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Well, he made that up, but you made up the fact Goodwin & Graham did not have the ability to move laterally.

That is also not true.

Yes because I meant that they literally did not have the ability to move side to side. They are only able to walk backwards and forwards and if there is something in their way they have no ability to ever get around it. That's exactly what I meant.

Mahdi
05-20-2014, 09:00 AM
What's the difference between making a big play on offense or making a big play on special teams? It's just another play and another chance to help your team. Isn't it kind of important to get the ball in the hands of your best play makers?

The difference is you don't have 11 guys running full speed from 50 yards away trying to kill you.

The Jokeman
05-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Graham for punt catcher!!!

Punts are at least retruned nowadays but the term Kickoff Catcher is more realistic with most kickoffs ending up in the endzone and kneeled down.

Goobylal
05-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Marquise can move laterally just fine. In fact his Combine numbers were better all-around than Sammy's.

better days
05-20-2014, 10:10 AM
Yes because I meant that they literally did not have the ability to move side to side. They are only able to walk backwards and forwards and if there is something in their way they have no ability to ever get around it. That's exactly what I meant.

And pretty much what you said.

Ed
05-20-2014, 10:16 AM
The difference is you don't have 11 guys running full speed from 50 yards away trying to kill you.
Sure, but how many kick and punt returners get hurt during returns? When was the last time a Bills returner got hurt? We're not talking about Watkins being a gunner or wedge buster, or one of those roles on ST's where you see guys get hurt.

A ST's player trying to hit you isn't really any different than a safety trying to pop you over the middle. It's all still football in the end and there's always going to be risks of injury to everyone. I'm not really in favor of Watkins being a full time returner, but if you can add him to the mix and give him a few more chances to make a big play here or there then go for it. I just think this fear of injuries to important players on ST's gets overblown every year.

Mahdi
05-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Sure, but how many kick and punt returners get hurt during returns? When was the last time a Bills returner got hurt? We're not talking about Watkins being a gunner or wedge buster, or one of those roles on ST's where you see guys get hurt.

A ST's player trying to hit you isn't really any different than a safety trying to pop you over the middle. It's all still football in the end and there's always going to be risks of injury to everyone. I'm not really in favor of Watkins being a full time returner, but if you can add him to the mix and give him a few more chances to make a big play here or there then go for it. I just think this fear of injuries to important players on ST's gets overblown every year.

No matter what you are still exposing him to more hits. And big hits. It is totally different than playing WR. Rarely does a player hit you on an offensive play after having sprinted to full speed from 50 yards away. That is increasing the velocity significantly and creating a bigger collision.

Save Watkins for what you brought him in for, to try and help EJ.

EDS
05-20-2014, 11:21 AM
It has been so long since the Bills invested resources in a return man it makes perfect sense to move up to the 4th overall pick to secure one.

Buffalogic
05-20-2014, 01:22 PM
What's the point of having him on KR? So he can stand out there and watch the ball sail out of the endzone for a touchback like always? Kickoffs went from the most exciting play in sports to the most boring play in sports.